The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Neil, I have the same response to some of your messages ;)

TIP: when confronted by the presence of a geek and said geek starts talking to you, gently nod and slowly back away. Geek will loose interest in you quicker if you'd hide behind a female, preferably in the 18-23 age range, blond and resembling a famous actrice :yes:

:jester:

Here's one of Charlie to cheer you up.

post-10195-0-97143600-1513447638.jpg

PS - Spoken for.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

My dad joined the local TA unit (Romford/Hornchurch) in 1938/39 before the balloon went up. This meant that although the TA were mobilised on the first of September he remained stationed locally until late the following summer. He was still 'local' during the Battle of Britain and as his unit was an artillery unit he found himself and a couple of his comrades having to manually lug an Orlikon gun up onto the roof of the local Odeon which was only a few yards from Romford station. During the B-o-B they didn't fire a single shell as no enemy aircraft came into range. Instead the Luftwaffe concentrated on the carriage sidings at Gidea Park a couple of miles to the east and Goodmayes marshalling yard three miles to the west. He was afterwards sent to Yorkshire where he spent the eve of his 21st. birthday on guard duty during a blizzard.

• RMweb Premium

first time in nearly a year I can utter the famous words.."Haway the Lads!!"

Tea made and eaten now catching up on some heat watching some game of soccer on TV....

Baz

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Before he joined up Dad was in the Home Guard. The Rover factory where he worked had its own Guard group. They had a machine gun on the roof and did get to use it once against a bomber. It flew off and dropped its bombs elsewhere rather than on the factory. Many of the jobs in the factory were reserved occupations but if anyone did volunteer they were told there would be a job waiting when they returned. Dad didn't return until 1949 and only left the army as his first wife was dying of TB. However the job offered was literally his old one. He wasn't amused that his army experience wasn't considered useful. Probably why he got into union activities.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Matthew rang home. His end of term quiz was a success. It looks as if he may have to repeat it on other occasions. He wasn't sure how serious it was supposed to be but by the time it took place some alcohol had been consumed. In what I believe may be a cultural tradition he got home about 24 hours after the party started.

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

They do live in fear of the Richard Montgomery going up though!

There used to be a lot of natural gas storage on Canvey. People were more concerned about that going up. Storage methods that worked nicely in Algerian soil did not transfer well to Essex clay.

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Yesterday was a really busy day and I just didn’t seem to find the time to log on at all and today has been similar! So with the amount of posts since I last logged on running to over 4 pages, generic congratulations and commiserations will have to do.

Anyway, not a lot to report, a little bit more has been done on the buildings for Max, but alas, not as much as I would liked, but given the time of year, it’s not really surprising, but hopefully tomorrow will see that change.

This evening Mike and Sarah came round for a bite to eat and very kindly treated us both to an Indian takeaway, that was followed by a bottle of red, a very nice Malbec and a nice bit of relaxing conversation.

Goodnight all

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Me too (Jaywick) for a couple of holidays in the mid to late 50s.  Stayed with grandparents in a chalet bungalow type thingy with outside facilities but as kids we loved it. If I had to do it again...well, I wouldn't!  :no:

Brings back memories of cut feet when swimming with all the broken concrete from the sea wall on the "beach."

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

My father was stationed in the Middle East (RCAF) during the war.  He said that a few of the other fellows had done training in northern Scotland during the winter and applied for the Middle East.