The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all from the borough of cockup artists. 

The council in its infinite Vogon like bureaucracy has managed to leave us with no recycling bins. Ordered new bins in Oct. Checked 'yes' to remove old ones box. New bins arrive in November (normal 6 week delay) Old bins not removed. We dragged them down to the recycling centre along with some other waste. Yesterday, next door gets all new bins. Ours vanish. No way to contact directly, have to submit complaint form. 15 working day response time. That takes us to Jan 8. Throw in another 6 weeks until we get new bins and we will have no recycling until late February. Bunch of useless asshats. Use the local recycling point I hear you say. Bzzt wrong answer. The council just removed all the plastic and glass recycling from the smaller places, citing cross contamination. Cost cutting more likely. That means we will have to drag everything to the main Serco depot in Crayford. 

Today marks the offspring's 28th birthday. The same age I was when he was born. Strange to see the differences in progression. By that time I'd been married, mortgage, sold up, returned to Uni, and part way through end of semester exams. Junior on the other hand works part time as that is all he can get. Lives at home on minimal rent as he can't afford his own place. The only way on the property ladder for him will be when he inherits. 

Work sucks and I've been fighting a man flu for the past week. It has finally gained a foothold and I feel like a school of carp. On that note, its time for a steamy hot shower & a glass of something very strong & alcoholic. 

Laters, Enjoy what is left of the day. 

• RMweb Gold

I was forty when Matthew was born, not sure what the world will be like when he is forty (he is 25 now).

Actually I think he has done quite a lot in his 25 years. Hasn't acquired a spouse or a mortgage though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

Parcel cupboard doors fitted but I'm missing a hinge, SWMBO informs me that several hinges were put in a jam jar. A search party will set out tomorrow looking for a jam jar.

Trying the doors indicates that the idea has worked, some painting has been done to protect any bare wood caused by cutting in hinges, door locks and the late thought of drilling a finger hole to pull the doors open.

Tomorrow I'll make a handle to open the doors from "our" side, finish the painting, and then up date my Amazon account to tell them use the cupboards.

During this Mr postie arrived, carrying my N gauge society membership pack, I have some reading to do.

My toes are finally getting warm, there's a border collie asleep on them.

I fancy a Highland Park while settling down for an approximately 2 mm read.

we had satellite in Saudi which included some Indian channels, apart from lots of Bollywood, I once turned it on and there was a drumming band facing a pipe ( as in tin whistle) band, each taking turns in some sort of face off....5 hours later they were still at it. No I didn't watch it all, just checking in during the many adverts on ESPN.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Took these shots at Redhill station

The RHTT gives way to SITT.

Railhead treatment train -  snow and ice treatment train before anyone asks........

Work Xmas do went well, no embarrassing moments unlike one of my friends last weekend.... His mother called me at 1230pm asking if I knew his whereabouts..... He did turn up eventually, with a very large hangover and a few missing hours in his memory - or so he says.

About to leave work - day off tomorrow.

My laptop is apparently back from the fixers, so I can catch up more easily. I also need to upload a few photos of projects to my workbench thread.

Hopefully I won't have to reload too much in the way of extra software and photo files onto it.

Have a good evening folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Before I went out with Robbie today I replaced the part of the gate latch that came off in my hand yesterday temporarily stranding me in the back garden. I had to stand on a garden chair and reach over to lift the latch. One of our local Homebase stores has been taken over by Bunnings and they actually stock hardware bits and pieces instead of novelty furnishing items so I was able to just buy what was needed.

Tony

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Before I went out with Robbie today I replaced the part of the gate latch that came off in my hand yesterday temporarily stranding me in the back garden. I had to stand on a garden chair and reach over to lift the latch. One of our local Homebase stores has been taken over by Bunnings and they actually stock hardware bits and pieces instead of novelty furnishing items so I was able to just buy what was needed.

Tony

Bunnings bought the whole of homebase nearly a year ago, Bunnings at it's home in Australia is a much more practical shop, than the pretty stuff in homebase. They have been experimenting with a small amount of stores in the UK trying different formats. Looks like they are now gradually moving out to change more stores..

• Like 10

Been quite 'mild' here today with some rain, think it'll be colder tonight and over the weekend.

A little excitement yesterday. Gabe and I were walking to Portobello when, as we were approaching Duddingston Road West a  young man crossed the road about 30 feet in front of us with both arms raised. I thought he was holding a crucifix and Gabe thought he was filming. Looking a tad closer we realised he was holding two 10" kitchen knives in a cross above his head. About 10 seconds later a police patrol car approached him, a female officer got out and shouted at him to drop the knives, which he did. Then the male police driver emerged from the car; they ordered the man to lie face down in the middle of the road as they spreadeagled and cuffed him before bundling him into the car.

Initial thoughts were that the female police officer was incredibly brave, but also that the young man must have been incredibly troubled.

Later on our walk through Figgate Park we spotted a fantastic kingfisher with its beautiful iridescent orange and turquoise plumage, a real winter tonic. As the park is close to Craigentinny works there's a polished railway axle on display, too. Also on display are signs on the litter bins that the dog-poo fairy doesn't exist bag-it-and-bin-it. Wish they'd do that on some streets round here!

Hope you stay warm

Mal

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
It is basically an indoor aerial with a signal amplifier. Nothing special. If you already have a tv aerial you are probably getting all you can via Freeview.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, 

Not much to report. Busy day at work and have to say I enjoyed that. 

Rather looking forward to the tv cooking competition later with one of the heats from an Oxfordshire-based eatery of some note. 

• Like 17

For my 11 o'clock three students - who came late.

For my 2 o'clock two students.

Out of 26 and 28 respectively.

For my 5 o'clock four - I wasn't;t expecting more then 6 as the assessments vary.

Other then that plenty of printing for stuff on global warming.

• RMweb Premium

E‘ning all! A few days of much-needed recovery were followed by a short-notice visit by my parents who literally seized a meteorological window of opportunity to travel down from Oop Narf where conditions have continued to be highly unstable following a swift and intense wintry ingress. I hadn’t seen them since late summer, and with close to 600 km between us and phone and WhatsApp forming the only regular links had grown worried whether they‘re well, knowing they’re fairly guarded when it comes to difficult topics. However, it seems like there is no cause for alarm, relieving me muchly.

Relaxation will hopefully resume by the weekend. Hope you’ve been well also and managed to survive what I like to call the Fistive Season, which so often seems to be so descriptive of the pre-Chrissie bedlam...

• Like 1

It is basically an indoor aerial with a signal amplifier. Nothing special. If you already have a tv aerial you are probably getting all you can via Freeview.

Thanks Tony, I wondered that, appreciate your you post.

• Like 9

Morning all,

Somewhat early start due to laddo's car expressing its disgust with his attempts t enter it by setting off its rather loud alarm - right outside our bedroom window.  So mugatea duly prepared and I'm told 'we'll go shopping early for once' (no doubt to leave me extra time for tackling the d....g r..m).

No bruise for me this time Baz but I had a right one last time - I'm fairly sure the needle went through the vein and the result looked quite alarming, alas it does happen from time to time.

Thanks DD for the linkspan picture - I'll raise your linkspan with my linkspan, actually in use and captured from the ship's deck.  Have a good day one and all.

attachicon.gifTF1.jpg

How do they join the two baseboards together - split hinges?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Zonked.

Work is a frenzy of packing, but we got everything out ordered before 4.  What happens after they go in the post has been a lottery this week though! Never known so much hassle, snow, ice, aircraft breaking, more ice so airport closed at East Midlands overnight, crew hours out, new crew but plane still 'tech', so ferry substitute (not good to get to the East Midlands....).  If myhair wasn't already white..... :scared:

• RMweb Gold

Evening. Zonked.

Work is a frenzy of packing, but we got everything out ordered before 4. What happens after they go in the post has been a lottery this week though! Never known so much hassle, snow, ice, aircraft breaking, more ice so airport closed at East Midlands overnight, crew hours out, new crew but plane still 'tech', so ferry substitute (not good to get to the East Midlands....). If myhair wasn't already white..... :scared:

...... and sadly you still have to look forward to some of the 'I want it now' brigade not appreciating your efforts and phoning up to complain. If you want to, you are more than welcome to forward their calls to me as I am quite willing to deal with them in a way in which your good manners precludes.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Zonked.

Work is a frenzy of packing, but we got everything out ordered before 4.  What happens after they go in the post has been a lottery this week though! Never known so much hassle, snow, ice, aircraft breaking, more ice so airport closed at East Midlands overnight, crew hours out, new crew but plane still 'tech', so ferry substitute (not good to get to the East Midlands....).  If myhair wasn't already white..... :scared:

Yet I received a package from Mouser UK before lunch today, ordered late Monday evening and despatched from somewhere in Texas on Tuesday.  Came via Memphis, Paris, Birmingham and Manchester.   It just a amazes me.

Jamie

• Like 4

I

...... and sadly you still have to look forward to some of the 'I want it now' brigade not appreciating your efforts and phoning up to complain

They will, and they are!!

Got the T Shirt? - no lost in transit!

Edited by JohnDMJ

• RMweb Premium

...... and sadly you still have to look forward to some of the 'I want it now' brigade not appreciating your efforts and phoning up to complain. If you want to, you are more than welcome to forward their calls to me as I am quite willing to deal with them in a way in which your good manners precludes.

Although we have had many calls and emails on the subject, thankfully no abusive ones this time.  A rude man called about uncouplers though, but like keyboard warriors, he would be nice as pie face to face I'm sure!  His number was withheld, otherwise I would pass it to BoD.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Is there a prize for the best Christmas cockwomble? If there is the one I saw in Tesco's car park is a sure contender. Opposite the store beneath a flyover are some parking bays and usually towards the end of the week and even more so at this time of year they are full. I did think I'd found a space but it was occupied by a small car  hidden by a van. As I went to leave the bay I took a quick check of the next bay but that was full as well. Despite that I saw a rather large Mercedes pull into the bay and reverse into the trolley park. The trolley park is marked out by railings but somehow he managed to squeeze his (her?) car in.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold

For my 11 o'clock three students - who came late.

For my 2 o'clock two students.

Out of 26 and 28 respectively.

For my 5 o'clock four - I wasn't;t expecting more then 6 as the assessments vary.

Other then that plenty of printing for stuff on global warming.

Have they all got part time jobs in the Christmas market?

Matthew seems to be having a busy end of term. He has to submit a theoretical framework for his research tomorrow. Also on Monday one of the geography academics asked him to organise a quiz for the end of term "do" which is tomorrow. Hopefully easier than the one his Mum organised for the local French Circle where no one knew the answers! Matthew had sorted out two rounds yesterday "It's grim up north" and " Back in the USSR". The first topic isn't about the six counties, just the Nordic countries". Also Matthew was asked earlier this year if he would like to do some teaching . He said yes so in the new year he will have a group of third year undergrads and he will be introducing them to the joys of qualitative research methods. So he has been preparing.

I don't think it helped that he had to spend Tuesday at the hospital being probed. Good result there though.

Tony

• Like 2