The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Actually, the Chevettes weren't all that bad for rust - compared with other Vauxhalls of a similar era. It was the first car in the Vauxhall range where they really got the rust problem sorted out.

Ours was really very bad for rust. Also in its later years it refused to work on Friday afternoons. At least it didn't try to kill me unlike the Volvo 340 we had.

Morning Don,

Doubt there'll be many about this morning, it's still bank holiday. I'm only here 'cos I'm at work, somebodies got to keep the trains running, doubt I'll be very busy though.

Out of Worksop at 05.50 most people will be clinging to the holiday until tomorrow when the sh1t really hits the fan with ticket price rises, although generally not that bad in my area.

Morning All,

There is no Bank Holiday here today (unfortunately). I am back in the office again, and waiting for the dawn. It's a pretty chilly morning, with a bit of black ice about, but not too bad.

I am feeling rather tired today. I woke up around 2am and took over an hour to get back to sleep again.

At least it didn't try to kill me unlike the Volvo 340 we had.

Sounds like an interesting story, Tony :O

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

I am feeling rather tired today. I woke up around 2am and took over an hour to get back to sleep again.

Funny you should mention that – I went to bed around ten, but drifted in and out of sleep till after midnight, so I, too, am feeling tired now :mellow: . Got to get a cup of coffee, methinks...

Have a good day everyone – will check back in when I'm more awake!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I'm sick of constructing turnouts so I have decided to take a break from that aspect and build a quick* TMD type layout. Hopefully this will vary the type of work I'm doing and let me run some trains sooner than I would be able to on the main layout. I am using bought peco trackwork and made the baseboards yesterday. Struggling with legs though. I always have.

* quick is a relative term.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Overcast and cool here today.

I shall venture into the garage today but only to sort out a few things to take to Enfield tomorrow. MiL wants me to put more of her paintings up.

I would like to take our Christmas tree down today as well but my wife insists that it should stay up until at least January 5th.

I'm sure I heard that all these flashing lights (not ours, we are a twinkle free zone) are causing ADSL speed reductions. We have been getting about 20% of our normal speed over the holiday period so perhaps it is true!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Struggling with legs though. I always have.

Resisting humorous responses for once, have you considered trestles? Wickes sell them (metal adjustable variety) and Aldi have had offers in the past. I think IKEA used to do wooden ones.

Tony

I think IKEA used to do wooden ones.

Or alternatively Curry legs from Ikea.

They are nice and cheap, and screw in and out. They are possibly a little short for some people's taste - but are table height, so ideal for sitting at the layout.

• RMweb Gold

I do have some trestles purchased from ALDI last time they were on sale although I like to have them free for other work. They are wider than the shunting plank too. Having said that, given my previous form with legs, I may just have to make them do.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Cold again this morning, but hoefully the weather will hold now for the rest of the week, so I can get to Scotland on Thursday. I'm feeling a bit under the weather this morning, and even a mega coffee hasn't really helped with kicking me alive - think an easy day is called for.

I'm sure I heard that all these flashing lights (not ours, we are a twinkle free zone) are causing ADSL speed reductions. We have been getting about 20% of our normal speed over the holiday period so perhaps it is true!

This phenomenon has been discussed on a number of broadband forums and discussion groups, and there is an element of truth there - it's not only flashing lights, as many external electrical factors have been thought to affect broadband speed, which is why the router should be placed as far away from other electrical devices as possible. The other thing to remember is that the schools are still on holiday, and there will be masses more kids on the web at present, and this will also affect speeds - it is quite common in some areas for speeds to reduce dramatically over a holiday period.

Regards to All

Stewart

Wildlife observation of not much interest:

We now have a Blackbird which has one white wing feather.

The Carrion Crows are clearing up the leftovers from intensive feeding over the holidays.

... and very strange about the birds struck down by fireworks or something.

Morning all.

Made the trip back up to Edinburgh yesterday (and saw a red squirrel en route in the Kielder Forest area of my drive north, which made my day). No burst pipes or burglaries, so I'm happy.

I'm off to Glasgow shortly to see the littl'un.

I received a new external hard drive as my main Christmas present from my parents, so I've unpacked that this morning and the iMac's busy quietly backing itself up.

Happy New Year to you regulars..........

Decided to not just lurk here today.... At least the Malmo buffer block did its job, hope no injuries?? (my knowledge of Scandinavian languages is non-existant!)

Following the Broadband comments, anyone else getting regular digital TV picture break-up? we get disruption usually around 4.20-4.40pm every afternoon and between 9.30pm and 11.00pm. also others at random times. Any clues? We are supplied from Sutton Coldfield.

Weather in the Midlands a bit chilly, but snow now all gone.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Monday again then. They still seem to occur even in 2011! Been missing in action for a few days on an extended New Years bash without computer access so only managed to log in to the forum yesterday evening.

Thanks for the kind comments re. Waton, I am very chuffed that so many forum members have voted for my little trainset. It's been great fun to build so winning is just the icing on the cake. Now all I have to do is build some fiddleyards, rig up lighting, build support legs, weather the stock and re-build the control panel. Should keep me occupied for a while.

Here's hoping for a healthy and happy 2011.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

At least the Malmo buffer block did its job, hope no injuries?? (my knowledge of Scandinavian languages is non-existant!)

Far as I could find out thus far, the train was just shunted in for service, so no passengers were aboard. The driver suffered only light injuries. Of course, I guess the power car and the first coach look like they're a total write-off. Can't tell whether any of the remaining coaches have been damaged as well.

Guest Max Stafford

Nice morning down the park today. I like this cold - it keeps the ground hard and consequently minimises the mud. I'm on 2-11 today and tomorrow, then off until Saturday. I shall take down the tree and tinsel on Wednesday but I think I'll retain the string of white LEDs in the conservatory as they are really quite picturesque and add to a nice indoor atmosphere.

On Thursday I shall have a little commemorative moment up at the Waverley line to mark the anniversary of closure. The effects of the line's closure are still felt in these parts. It takes longer to get to Hawick from Carlisle today than it did in 1968. It can take forty minutes to get up the A7 from the City centre to Kingstown at the north edge of town next to the M6, so dire is the traffic.

Aye, that's progress for you... :rolleyes:

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Nice morning down the park today. I like this cold - it keeps the ground hard and consequently minimises the mud. I'm on 2-11 today and tomorrow, then off until Saturday. I shall take down the tree and tinsel on Wednesday but I think I'll retain the string of white LEDs in the conservatory as they are really quite picturesque and add to a nice indoor atmosphere.

On Thursday I shall have a little commemorative moment up at the Waverley line to mark the anniversary of closure. The effects of the line's closure are still felt in these parts. It takes longer to get to Hawick from Carlisle today than it did in 1968. It can take forty minutes to get up the A7 from the City centre to Kingstown at the north edge of town next to the M6, so dire is the traffic.

Aye, that's progress for you... :rolleyes:

Dave.

Huh! Progress! :angry:

My Dad used to commute from Hastings to London - when he first started, the Hastings Diesels had been recently introduced and many of the older commuters were bemoaning the fact that the Diesels were slower than the steam services they replaced.

Then, in 1986 the line was electrified, and it now takes longer than it did in the Diesel era.

so much for progress...

That's interesting, Robert, here's an opposite story.

Our family moved out to Shenfield in 1952 when they electrified (overhead) the service between there and Liverpool Street. As time went on more and more people moved out there (apart from my Grandparents....) because of the brilliant service into the City that started at 3:00am every morning (our family had a company at Spitalfields Wholesale Fruit and Veg Market which opened at 3:30am).

Very reliable, consistent service still very popular even now; one of the great unsung railway systems in the UK.

I've been on the Hasting line - it does suck, big time............the ER got it right in this instance.

Best, Pete.