The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A couple of images I took on Leipzig's Augustusplatz last night, when the sky erupted with fire and light...

dsc5724xsnw.jpg

The building in the background is the Opera - also note the trams sneaking through the scene.

dsc57278s8g.jpg

dsc5730mpzg.jpg

The glazed building to the right of the column is the Gewandhaus concert hall.

dsc5738osrk.jpg

dsc5739vptg.jpg

dsc57436oqc.jpg

Quite amazing it was – though the smoke and smell from all the black powder was more reminiscent of a battlefield, I guess! :blink:

• RMweb Gold

Some kind of sausage, I'm thinking... :)

Dave.

A raw beef sausage served with salad and bread. I have a photo of Matthew looking smug as he had chosen the chicken sandwich instead. The only other place I saw it it (didn't eat it that time!) was in a hotel in Luebeck.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

A raw beef sausage served with salad and bread. I have a photo of Matthew looking smug as he had chosen the chicken sandwich instead. The only other place I saw it it (didn't eat it that time!) was in a hotel in Luebeck.

I'm sure you wouldn't much like Pinkel either then! :D Neither do I – the combination of ingredients alone makes me shudder.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure you wouldn't much like Pinkel either then! :D Neither do I – the combination of ingredients alone makes me shudder.

At least the meat is cooked in Pinkel! We used to eat a lot of kale though when I was a child living in Somerset. I don't recall eating it recently. My main problem with the food in the north of Germany was that it was very salty compared to what I'm used to.

Congratulations Dave on your well deserved win with Waton in the RMWeb 2010 Challenge...:) :)

I see you also won the trackwork competition as well and a new copy of Templot will be winging its way to you...B)

Great to know us bumbling old fella's can still cut the mustard!

Well done Dave!

Morning All,

The day appears to be dawning with broken cloud. That will be good - maybe we will see some sun today.

Impressive photos Dominik.

Congratulations to Dave - in my opinion, the best layout won. There were many impressive entries, but yours was my clear favourite.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

I guess I caught up with what sleep I did not get yesterday, and a quiet Sunday now beckons. I have all of next week off as well, so my vacation really is not over yet!

Congratulations, Dave – that's one cracking layout you have there! :)

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is rather overcast here and a bit cooler than yesterday. I'll be gardening today. In my case it will dragging things about under close supervision rather than anything creative. A fig needs re-potting so we went off to the garden centre yesterday. A pot I could only just about lift was purchased. Robbie wasn't with us but I had to fold the rear car-seats down, move the dog box and lift the pot in. I hope Mick doesn't have too much difficulty loading up his daughters stuff for the trip to Carlisle. When we took Matthew to Leicester there were 3 of us in the car and our weekend suitcase in addition to his stuff. When I collected him in December the car was full.

Congratulations to Dave on the Waton win.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Just when we thought it was safe to turn the boiler down....Cold here last night again, but not as instensely cold as it has been. Had to pop out again to top up the log supplies - so far this year we've almost used two loads - normally a single load suffices with a few left over to start next year's fires off - but of course with my being at home almost all the time, the fire's lit earlier, and the heating is running as well until the house gets warm.

Tony apropos of my comments about the Vienna concert being a bit more serious, I recorded the first half off BBC4 and am watching it as I type - it is much lighter, and more in line with what we've had in previous years, with more Strauss the second, only one item not by him, and that by Lanner, who was stylistically quite similar, and less of Liszt - I think it was the inclusion of the Mophisto Waltz which made things a bit more gloomy for me.

Eldavo many congrats on the win - much deserved - will you be able to show your winning layout at the member's day?

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Well done Dave for winning the 2010 challenge - a very well deserved winner IMO. To accomplish what you have done is incredible in 2mm scale.

For anyone interested in some of my photos have a look here: My dA gallery

I will be updating it every day with a new photo. Dominik - you're firework photos are amazing! :blink:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Good day to clean the car - the V5 says it's red, but I'm not convinced at the moment....

I did hose down the cars a couple of days ago, but I really need to get the power washer out but it is somewhat inaccessible at the moment. My wife was very pleased to see that her car was bright blue instead of a muddy grey. My car is black but did benefit from a hose down, at least it is black and muddy rather than black covered in salt now.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I daren't wash my car - it is only the mud that is holding it together in places.

We had a Chevette (our first car) that was held together by patches of rust. Even though it was not pretty or reliable we really loved the ability to go to places not well served by public transport or buy things and not have to arrange delivery.

V5 was right. It is red. Very red!

I don't have a pressure washer, so its a bucket and sponge. I find it quite relaxing really.

I remember cleaning my first car (an 1989 Fiesta) with the bucket and sponge method. All was going well until I got to the offside sill, when the sponge disappeared though a hole blink.gif. The car was about 16 years old at the time.

• RMweb Gold

V5 was right. It is red. Very red!

I don't have a pressure washer, so its a bucket and sponge. I find it quite relaxing really.

I remember cleaning my first car (an 1989 Fiesta) with the bucket and sponge method. All was going well until I got to the offside sill, when the sponge disappeared though a hole blink.gif. The car was about 16 years old at the time.

Nowadays they would probably describe cars of that era as bio-degradable. Our Clio is 12 years old and has no rust.

A late post from me as usual, but I was 'up with the lark' this morning so as to get myself to Paddington in good time to conduct the 08.45 'Penzance' to Banbury and Oxford. It took not one but two FGW coffees to wake me up! Parking the van at Ranelagh Bridge felt decidedly odd, I'm sure there was an OC 47 in the same spot the last time I set foot in the place....

Is it me, or have the end of 2010 / beginning of 2011 vanished as quickly as they'd arrived? This last week has flown by!

Nidge (munching on a FGW mince pie :D )

We had a Chevette (our first car) that was held together by patches of rust.

Actually, the Chevettes weren't all that bad for rust - compared with other Vauxhalls of a similar era. It was the first car in the Vauxhall range where they really got the rust problem sorted out.

I've always fancied a Chevette HS, but given that only 400 were made the chances are slim. They basically shoehorned the 2.3 liter Bedford CF slant four engine into a Chevette body, stuck a Lotus head on it, uprated the suspension and brakes, and put in a Getrag gearbox with dog-leg first. They were quite successful in Rallying, and the 400 road cars they built to get the Rally cars homologated went like absolute stink. B)

They looked pretty good too!

IMG_0318.jpg