The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Pah! Part way through oven cleaning and someone has just said "I'd have paid a firm to do that to save you the job."

Thank you dear. For nothing!  :banghead:

We are rolling about here.  :rofl:  :rofl:  as SWMBO suggested it to me earlier.

• RMweb Gold

Seems that RMweb's hosting has been taken over by Southeastern.

Can’t be Southern as they after 15 minutes delay but they often say it’s under that by a few seconds despite checking the times.

Another pet hate seen as we are mentioning them is people on their mobile phones walking along oblivious to anything either on the footpath or when crossing the road. A good one today, a female is talking on her mobile walks round me waiting, into the path of a reversing HGV that has to mount the pavement outside the Kings Arms in Boroght (Baz knows this pub) to go back down the road as it’s currently closed at the Junction with Borough High Street, despite the reversing warning on the HGV. That’s just after another girl wandered across Borough High St in front of vehicles whilst WEXTING.

....I too heard they are reviewing the lines closed by Beeching....

Restoration of lines is always going to be difficult if the formation has been built upon for housing or industrial purposes. Still, as the part-revival of the Waverley Route has shown, properties built on the formation since closure can still be demolished if the drive for a resurrected route is stronger (and Government-backed).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

DafT are apparently putting pressure on operators to move to a standard 15-minute delay-repay window. Currently it depends upon the TOC whether you can claim after 15, 30 or 60 minutes and the thresholds for different levels of compensation differ too. Virgin is the only TOC to automatically refund you if you booked through their web site. On my delayed trip from Manchester to London recently I received an email confirming how much was being repaid just ten minutes after arrival at Euston. That’s pretty good. Southern require a claim and have typically processed an electronic one for me within a week. GWR send cheques in the mail which have taken up to three weeks.

In other news it’s grey and damp. Preparing for aunt’s funeral tomorrow which requires me to leave here at 05.30, collect passengers in Sussex at 07.45, collect SWMBO here at 10.00 and be in Ruislip for 11.30. Then the same in reverse afterwards with a final return home expected around 20 o’clock. I won’t be visiting ERs.

HUMP day and a VERY early morning here <YAWN>

Awake at o'5 sparrow and up driving the 20 minutes to the eye surgery.

Coffee in hand - much to the displeasure of the Mrs, she has been fasting since midnight and would love a cup right now - she's in pre-op and I'm in the waiting area trying to decide whether to work or sleep :O

Whitney will be over later as Jemma is out on a three day trip and we'll be dog-sitting, the Mrs and Whitney likely spending the entire day napping whilst I earn the crusts.

Think I'll look for the Warley show/rucksack thread for some morning amusement :jester:

Slightly more seasonal today -4 leaving home and no clue as to the cloud situation as it's pitch black still, expected to get to 7 though later.

Hope you manage to cross the HUMP successfully.

Greetings all. It's grey and cold here at London Bridge. Yesterday was a day spent at Bluewater with Mrs Lurker acquiring the Lurker boys Christmas and birthday presents (for Younger Lurker anyway).

Back at work today, and the year end hassle is nearly done, so it is back to the work that I should have been doing while I was actually dealing with the auditors.

Best wishes to all

.....professional protesters on state-sponsored welfare-benefits, ready to go anywhere protesting they deem worthwhile, mostly anti-globalism, anti-capitalism, anti-anything remotely resembling authority. I believe the UK has a fairly sizeable group of those as well...

They mostly raise funds via GoFundMe or Just Giving these days.

• RMweb Gold

Baz

Been reading about Warley and rucksacks thread. I find some drivers of wheely bags to be a bigger issue. I suppose we all have our pet hates.

If you think things are bad now just wait until the bring out the driverless autonomous rucksack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you think things are bad now just wait until the bring out the driverless autonomous rucksack.

Yes I think that's the way forward.

But let us not forget that it must also frequently belch out malodorous fumes.

With a camera on a boom, you could send it into the hall to look at the railways whilst you sit in 'Spoons' with your feet up, and watch everything on your laptop. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The words " I suppose WE could get the Christmas tree down tomorrow" have just been heard. Since SWMBO has never been in the loft I know who "WE" is.....

Along part of the new Northern Distributer Road round Norwich, they have been planting trees.... Fir trees... About 6 ft tall trees... I wonder how many will still be there in 4 weeks time...

Some numbers from the radio on the way home...

In 1917 the average life expectancy in Norfolk was 42.

In 2017 the average life expectancy in Norfolk is 82.

In the First year of her reign (1952) Queen Elizabeth II wrote 307 congratulations telegrams for those who reached 100 years old.

In 2017 she is expected to send approximately 14,000 cards..

I've just received my first Christmas card...... From Screwfix!!!!

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't worry me one bit - I watch 'Robot Wars' so I know how to deal with that sort of thing but can't decide if a flipper or an axe would be the best answer ;)

ride on suitcases

And if somebody on 'Robot Wars' can build a flipper that can launch a Transit van into the air one of those things will be chickenfeed for it.

http://robotwars.wikia.com/wiki/Apollo

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yes I think that's the way forward.

But let us not forget that it must also frequently belch out malodorous fumes.

With a camera on a boom, you could send it into the hall to look at the railways whilst you sit in 'Spoons' with your feet up, and watch everything on your laptop. 

But is it any good in a Bachmann second hand stall scrum? (It may be good for watching the scrum)

Cheers,

Mick

Ever since I've been buying Mercedes I've been able to take photos of the old (on the right) and new (on the left) in the same place outside the showroom:

attachicon.gif

Typical Merc driver - parking in the No parking spot........

:jester:

Mick

• RMweb Premium

But is it any good in a Bachmann second hand stall scrum? (It may be good for watching the scrum)

Cheers,

Mick

Typical Merc driver - parking in the No parking spot........

:jester:

Mick

I want to know if the indicators work....None of the German built cars that cut me up on the M1 on Monday appeared to have them working. .

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I want to know if the indicators work....None of the German built cars that cut me up on the M1 on Monday appeared to have them working. .

Jamie

I find myself being slightly more annoyed by the "I have just turned right (or left)" signal.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't worry me one bit - I watch 'Robot Wars' so I know how to deal with that sort of thing but can't decide if a flipper or an axe would be the best answer ;)

And if somebody on 'Robot Wars' can build a flipper that can launch a Transit van into the air one of those things will be chickenfeed for it.

http://robotwars.wikia.com/wiki/Apollo

It says that it can survive  being wet, parachuted from an aircraft and can go 5 miles. What they haven't told us is can it survive the baggage handlers at ThiefHeathrow?

• RMweb Premium

They mostly raise funds via GoFundMe or Just Giving these days.

Because they changed the law on receiving benefits, mostly it's now job seekers allowance, so if you are not seeking work, but out there being a professional protester you get no money.