The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good evening all. Thanks to ChrisF for news of our old friend Torr Gifford. I am glad he is enjoying life on the boat and I do hope he will manage to venture back onto these pages at some point in the future. I also miss his pictures from his various circular cycle rides.

Work update: after today I will almost certainly be applying for at least one of other jobs. Today saw a visit by an advisor to look at an area of the curriculum I have been made responsible for. Sadly - the feedback was not great and some of the criticisms angered me a lot. They picked up on things I had perceived to be a problem, put steps in place and then had my suggestions rebuffed by the management. I made sure the boss knew this in no uncertain terms. The boss was not happy to be challenged, but I am not being messed about again.

Best Wishes

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

The weather today has been bloody awful, rain, rain and more rain. Thankfully apart from dropping some stuff off at the charity shop at the top of the road and putting fuel in the car ready for our trip to Harrogate, I've been inside all day.

A good start has now been made on the engine shed, I've got all four walls built and assembled, tomorrow hopefully I'll get the roof and water tank on and then I can give it a coat of varnish.

I too have seen several houses with Christmas decorations already up, a house down our road has had a tree up for over a week now! Ours will go up during the first weekend of December, will probably Sunday and Monday, as I'll be at the Manchester show on the Saturday and we don't get back from Harrogate until Friday, then we will be off to give birthday presents out to Max and Evie. The decorations will be taken down around the 1st of January.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

On seasonal decorations/lights - in the US there's generally rather a rush on to have lights and even trees decorated by Thanksgiving, since it's overall a larger holiday than C********s and many folks have bigger family gatherings over Thanksgiving and want the decorated splendor in sight for all to see!

For "us" personally, the exterior lights are up a day or so before Thanksgiving to get us seasonally correct :O , but we wait for inside decorations/tree/lights until at least the first weekend in December, or later, depending on our schedule.

I too have seen several houses with Christmas decorations already up, a house down our road has had a tree up for over a week now! Ours will go up during the first weekend of December, will probably Sunday and Monday, ... The decorations will be taken down around the 1st of January.

Here in the US, I find that the day after Thanksgiving is the unofficial but customary start of the 'decorating your home for Christmas' season. Some, as Ian suggests, start earlier, but most wait until after Turkey day - the two being different holidays and Thanksgiving comes with it's own Autumnal themes, rather than the red, white and green of Yule fertility symbols. Once upon a time when I was married, the Friday after Thanksgiving was my traditional time to bring home a tree.

I ran some errands on Friday and the number of gents on ladders on my street was quite impressive. I'm not doing lights. I don't have presently ladders large enough (and am not looking to tempt fate with these implements of great peril.)  I will do something for the front windows.  I did see plenty of trees on automotive rooftops on Friday.

For those looking for 'traditional' dates, I would suggest that the first weekend of Advent (beginning on Sunday December 3) through Twelfth night would be reasonable - neither too much nor too little. The Epiphany falls on a Saturday (January 6) so that seems like a convenient day to dismantle them.

I suspect a lot of people are keen to get rid of them as soon as New Year's Day appears, rather than wait the full 12 days.

Hanukkah is early this year, running from December 2 through December 8. It's not unusual to see Jewish families in the US put up white and blue lights during the holidays.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

Morning All,

It is a very wet morning today.  We had rain for most of yesterday - and it is still raining!  Still, at least it is not (at the moment) falling as snow.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but a very fresh 3oC. Should be dry and sunny until clouding over this afternoon.

The good news is my new phone arrived yesterday. The bad news is that my Sim card is the wrong flippin' size. There was some profanity at this stage. Was going to attempt to cut it down but chickened out and have now ordered a cutter.

Anyone tried either method and how easy or not is it?

Grandchildren x 2 will be here later but Gemma will be earlier as she's not well so not going to school today.

Today I may clean the oven that was due to be done last week. Then again I may not.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Good morning one and all

I was panicking for a few minutes just now because I could not find this thread.  Clearly the reason is that Robert was posting on it while I was looking.  Phew.

Today will see a severe test of the fodder run by bus.  Ideally I would take the car because it is quicker and I can carry more plunder in the boot but at the real risk of not being able to park on return and the attendant nuisance of lugging shopping bags to the house.  The car needs to be loaded with toolkit and other stuff for Thursday's visit to Poorly Pal and at present is ideally placed.   Decisions, decisions.

Apart from that it is quiet, save for lots of media hoo-hah about an engagement.  I can near the sound of barrels being scraped already.  My two cards destined for overseas places are now in the care of the Royal Mail, complete with Par Avion stickers.  The main batch will follow tomorrow, leaving only those to be handed to the lucky recipients in person and those which I have forgotten.

Andyram, the more you tell us the more convinced I am that you should escape.  Criticism for the actions of others or lack thereof is an unjust reward.  Been there, done it, grown out of the T shirt.  Warm thoughts to you and to all in distress and recovery.

Chris

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Amazing what 8.5 hours sleep does for you!

AndyRam.. I had a boss who talked to me 3 times in a year..it ended well for me but not very well for the company. Don't panic but keep looking.

Ta Mick, some of the things said repeat what a VIP on another thread said....they have a common link...

Yesterday was "start sorting long term storage boxes for Shap stock out"

Today will continue in the same vein..swapping stuff from Shap with stuff for Herculaneum Dock. I also have some crust earning to do ..busy, busy, busy.

A few more Ers are missing..i will try and PM them to make sure they are ok

Have a great day...

Baz

Ps pah humbug to Christmas decorations

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

Good morning all,

The good news is my new phone arrived yesterday. The bad news is that my Sim card is the wrong flippin' size. There was some profanity at this stage. Was going to attempt to cut it down but chickened out and have now ordered a cutter.

Anyone tried either method and how easy or not is it?

Bob.

Why not just get the correct sized SIM from your provider and get them to conect it to your account in place of the old one?

It would be safer!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village that is still north of Ikea despite my absence at Warley etc.    A good nights sleep has left me feeling a lot better as well as a nice meal cooked by Beth last night. Off to the warehouse this morning to finish packing the layout then I have an after dinner speech to write for Wednesday evening.  Not my preferred event but they are good people who have invited me. I'd be much happier giving them 90 minutes on the history of the Green Ayre Electrification.   Fortunately I've sort of written most of it in my head so once I've cleared the dining room of stock boxes that's my task.   

Andy, I hope you have success with your job application but you might find that having stood up to the head he backs down.  Bulley's don't like being confronted.

To all and sundry in the world of ER's may I wish you all the best.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Why not just get the correct sized SIM from your provider and get them to conect it to your account in place of the old one?

It would be safer!

Thanks John, why I didn't think of that I don't know.   :banghead:   Probably too busy swearing.     :ireful:   New one ordered and cutter cancelled.  :imsohappy:

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cold and dull here. Even the all weather spaniel seemed reluctant to go out this morning. However Robbie is easily motivated by treats and went out after getting the one he wanted.

I may have to take Robbie for vet visit. The nurse wasn't sure if he could have a repeat prescription or needed to see the vet. She will ring us today.

Have a good day.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

I went to bed with left arm aching having taken more pain killers....

A good nights sleep of 7 solid hours... Yippeee...

Arm was Ok till I drove in, in the Land Rover, it now aches a bit, but nowhere as bad as Yesterday.

It was warmer than I expected this morning, however on driving in, you could see where the sewer pipe is, as it goes down the road, as the tarmac on that bit, always frosts first, as it zig zags down the curving road.

Ben the Border Collie is in my bad books.... He went ferreting around by the side of the sofa where he doesn't normally go, he probably could smell my empty plate which was up on the next chair. He got tangled in the lead to my tablet computer and has broken the usb port in the tablet....A new one USB port has been ordered, there goes £13. expected delivery Friday.

I've been rerunning a section of calibration on a major system this morning as one of the  external units has been repaired after it's smell of smoke a couple of weeks ago. Customer units come first for repairs or serviceand normally get turned round in a couple of days, so mine got bumped down the list until now.

Time to.. take the next resistance reading...

Now I'm on the second set of measurements of yesterdays resistors, that will take most of the day..  High Ohmage resistors are measured on three consecutive days, to check if they are correct and to check if they have a high drift rate..If I have any time left I have to finish my annual assesments as the final day is Friday..

Even though I've taken Thursday and Friday off it has been "Decided" that shopping will be Saturday as the Market is on that day in Great Yarmouth.  Saturday Shopping  in December....Oh Joy.... Hopefully I can pick up MRJ and the last GWJ and can freeze outside shops with Ben and read them...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

Cor that's a lot of members that need lessons in the finer art of the G.W.R. locomotive spotting I'll throwing in Baz just in case, I will be running an on-line course for £259.99 each

you will have to supply your own spot the GWR locomotive book please apply via PM.

Getting back to that bl00dy storage heater I've sourced one locally as the weigh about .2 of a ton the delivery charges are £75  so in the mean time the SiL can collect it Friday,

the heaters take about 5 days to cool down before you can take the bricks out SWMBO  :bb: said this morning you can get it off the wall and out of the way today  :banghead:

she was told yesterday I give up. :scratchhead:

Getting back to that bl00dy storage heater I've sourced one locally as the weigh about .2 of a ton the delivery charges are £75  so in the mean time the SiL can collect it Friday,

the heaters take about 5 days to cool down before you can take the bricks out SWMBO  :bb: said this morning you can get it off the wall and out of the way today  :banghead:

she was told yesterday I give up. :scratchhead:

The bricks make very good edging for flower beds if concreted in.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It seems today has been ordained as -

1. We need to go to Tesco for 'a few bits and bobs' - I presume that doesn't included any Bobs on ERs as they're not at Tesco and one is definitely at Sainsburys so she must mean something else.

2. She has decided not to go to someone or other's 'coffee morning' in Shiplake so I have made an executive decision not to take her - ooh, the power of unfettered household decision making.

Apart from that the day is currently my own although the cat is outside shouting to be let in.  This follows him not very long ago being inside shouting to be let out and because he is stone death he shouts very loudly to make sure everybody can hear him - asking to go out also hints at something else happening on his part but we'll not go into that.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

The bricks make very good edging for flower beds if concreted in.

That's what I told SWMBO when we replaced the first one, or as pot stand with the depression in them the water can run away. :boast:

Does any one want 16 heater blocks , free to collect  or  £100 delivered.

Edited by 81C
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It seems today has been ordained as -

1. We need to go to Tesco for 'a few bits and bobs' - I presume that doesn't included any Bobs on ERs as they're not at Tesco and one is definitely at Sainsburys so she must mean something else.

2. She has decided not to go to someone or other's 'coffee morning' in Shiplake so I have made an executive decision not to take her - ooh, the power of unfettered household decision making.

Apart from that the day is currently my own although the cat is outside shouting to be let in.  This follows him not very long ago being inside shouting to be let out and because he is stone death he shouts very loudly to make sure everybody can hear him - asking to go out also hints at something else happening on his part but we'll not go into that.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks.

We do Horrorson's Mike but have been known to mingle with the knuckle dragers in Chavda.

• RMweb Gold

This Bob only goes to Tesco's or supermarkets other than Sainsbury's if desperate. This may well have something to do with the staff discount "we" get.  The good news is that "we" will still get it after retirement next week but it will then be called "veterans" discount.

"We" have only had to go to work today as we're using up the last of our holiday this week.

Sickly youngest granddaughter is now here and I have also been asked to collect her sister from work later and take her to the doctor as she's hurt her back. At least Joe is OK at the moment...we hope. We'll see when he gets back here from school.

Some good news is that birdsnest coaches and phone Sim card have been posted.

PS I never got round to cleaning the oven as I was putting up Christmas lights so yah boo sucks to the humbug mutterers. :onthequiet:  :jester:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5

Morning everyone.

For unaccountable reasons I had the worst nights sleep in years last night :(

It doesn't help that I was hoping for a decent night given we have to be up BEFORE o'crack sparrow fart tomorrow to get to the Mrs eye surgery clinic at 6AM :O

Oh well, I'll just have to spent most of today nodding off at the computer I suppose...

Only activity other than work today is to meet the plumber at the rental house - just a 2 minute walk away - when he calls to say he's on his way, to get the toilet repaired and the water softener checked/fixed if needed, or WORST CASE told it needs replacing and therefore relieving myself of a large quantity of dosh! :jester:

Still overly warm here, 6 first thing with a high of 10 announced.

Enjoy the day one and all.