The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Concreting over 1.5 acres of garden jungle, may be desirable from the point of view of maintenance. But would be somewhat out of my pocket...

• RMweb Premium

The other, of course, is that I do know the difference between a 14xx and a Grange.

Chris

Pray tell - I never noticed there was a difference.

All I can tell is that they're both green and boil water.....................................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

All I can tell is that they're both green and boil water.....................................

Cheers,

Mick

One of them appears in Thomas the Tank Engine and the other doesn't?
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Concreting over 1.5 acres of garden jungle, may be desirable from the point of view of maintenance. But would be somewhat out of my pocket...

The council around here are very picky about what is allowed to be covered in an impervious surface.

All to do with destruction of natural drainage. 

Of course filling the broads with concrete would solve LHR's 3rd runway problem.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

I don't quite how to break this to you Mick, but there are also more than one type of pannier tank.

It is a well guarded secret amongst the priveledged.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately Rick, that link takes me to a members only area and a page asking me to subscribe.

However, you can get the general gist of the story by reading the full URL.

.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/two-men-caught-dancing-around-stolen-pot-plant-engaging-in-lewd-act-at-flinders-st-station/news-story/7436fa975245a26d849f32ed864e0437"

Good to see geoblocking is aline and well :(

Two naked men and a stolen pot plant (more of a shrub actually) were involved in a ménage a trois of sorts.  In front of passengers and in front of a train.  The two men are "helping police with their enquiries".  In other words they have been arrested and charged with lewd behaviour.  The plant awaits its rightful owner.

In other news I managed a quick trip to the Far East during the brief daylight.  Romford and Lakeside to be precise.  Though escape from the latter was not without difficulty as the traffic seemed gridlocked for miles around which played havoc with bus timetables.  The cross-river X80 was suspended.  I did wonder how many folk might be trapped the wrong side of the Dartford Crossing as there is no other reasonable public transport option.  I was only waiting for a "red" 372 bus which turned up after something in excess of an hour (on a route advertised every 20 minutes) and then only went half-way along its route terminating at Rainham.  At least there are other buses from there.  And I made it home.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

Well that 2 members on here now that I would  be embarrassed to go to shows with you and Bill Bishop,

a right pair of "Ejurts" can't tell the difference between 2 G.W.R. locomotives.  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastic:  :laugh:  :haha:  :rofl:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Good to see geoblocking is aline and well :(Two naked men and a stolen pot plant (more of a shrub actually) were involved in a ménage a trois of sorts. In front of passengers and in front of a train. The two men are "helping police with their enquiries". In other words they have been arrested and charged with lewd behaviour. The plant awaits its rightful owner.

I'm not too sure the rightful owner would want it back.

I wasn't quite sure if the URL did contain an actual story or if it was simply part of the conventions used to name web pages in Australia.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that 2 members on here now that I would  be embarrassed to go to shows with you and Bill Bishop,

a right pair of "Ejurts" can't tell the difference between 2 G.W.R. locomotives.  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastic:  :laugh:  :haha:  :rofl:  :jester:

Make that three, you boil water to make tea. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  I thought last Monday was busy at work...ah.

We don't do Christmas ( so I can say it!), we're Humanists.  No issue with others having religion of their choice though, provided they don't hurt anyone. Indeed we have good friends who are devout, and we don't have any arguments, we can accept each other's position.  Oh that others could do so - within the same religion often!

Still getting a lot of calls from folk looking for Sir William Stanier and H Class models - people who thought they were getting them for Christmas in plenty of time.....hmm. A common thread is that 'they're in the catalogue - why haven't you got them?'  That the said catalogues are works of fiction and 'wish lists' doesn't dawn on folk.  The manufacturers would gain more friends if they had a dose of honesty in their publications.  is it only our hobby that has such unrealistic timescale expectations for new models to be delivered, or for them to actually be available for more than a day once released?

• Like 13

Today a tree went up in the atrium of our building.

Well, I say 'tree' but there's this couple of blokes assembling some green fluffy/spiky stuff and then plugging it in and fblue light appeared.

Then they surround wit with a three foot high metal fence.

Very, shall we say, seasonal

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have told this tale before but for the benefit of new readers...

I took Matthew to an exhibition held not far from here. He must have been about 4. He was in a train phase at the time and was quietly watching a GWR model with assorted express engines. After a while he asked

"Excuse me, why don't your engines have outside valve gear?"

The operator glared and ignored him.

So like many small children, Matthew repeated the question but louder and added "My locomotives look the same but have outside valve gear".

The operator still ignored him.

I explained to Matthew that the designer of his locos had once worked at the place where the GWR locos had been designed but had used outside valve gear on his design for the LMS (or something like that). I thought Matthew would be happy with that but he said "We should go and tell thst man, he doesn't seem to know anything about his locos!"

• Like 8

A bizarre day with lots of miles covered.

The plan was a quick job in Milton Keynes and then to the office to carry on training a new engineer.

I managed the MK job by 09:00 but before I could head towards the office I was re-directed to Weston-Super-Mare for a call out. Needless to say, the training didn't happen but I did manage to drive over 400 miles and observed numerous cockwombles on the way.

An evening of taking it easy before training tomorrow.

Time for yet another coffee.

• RMweb Premium

I don't quite how to break this to you Mick, but there are also more than one type of pannier tank.

It is a well guarded secret amongst the priveledged.

I only know of this one,

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

CXXXXXXXs decorations should go up on Christmas eve, and down on 12th Night,

The main work today is a line of High Ohmage resistors from 100Mohm to 20Gohm Seven of them, that will require 21 meaurements each with 10 to 30 minute settling time...during which I can't move much or it upsets the readings... These are measured at up to 200V but only less than 1uA, this won't kill you it you touch the terminals, but will wake you up.... I'm awake...

Agree with the decorations. For a Swiss Narrow Gauge modeller, there's no place like H0m. "Resistance is futile" is used in a siganture hereon.

I forgot a couple of things earlier.  The first is that I can report a sighting of Torr Giffard at Warley.  I understand that his network connection to a boat on the Broads is a bit flaky but he does hope to be back in touch soon.

The other, of course, is that I do know the difference between a 14xx and a Grange.

Chris

Network connections can be very flaky if the water gets into the cable!

• Like 2

I don't!

If I'm honest, I'll admit to finding it hard to distinguish GWR 4-6-0s in photographs, particularly from (mostly) head on. I recall correctly, Bachmann Branch-Line had a hard time with modified and unmodified Halls.

I think I could manage quite easily with a 14xx and a Grange but only due to my affliction.

After a weekend of doing as little as possible, I am now feeling quite overwhelmed. One of the many things on my list is that I had meant to get Christmas cards in the post for the Antipodes, but procrastinated. Now I will be out of town for most of the week. Hopefully they will end up on a convenient flight.

Some days back I noticed references to the movie "Paddington 2". This does not open here in the US until January.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, the movie that opened for children was "Coco", Disney/Pixar's latest. My son and his fiancée (who are both 25) and I are animation fans. Usually Pixar movies are accompanied by an animated short film which is usually a tour de force in the state of the art of animation. "Sandpiper" certainly was.  This year however, under Disney, we were subjected to a 21 minute, made for TV, holiday-themed retread of the "Frozen" movie called "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" laden with show tunes sung by the plucky and indestructible snowman himself. Looking forward to a Pixar short, as it started my son said "I feel cheated". Apparently he wasn't the only one to think this way. No doubt next year we will see Olaf on TV in the pre-Christmas line up.  By then "Frozen 2" will probably be headed to cinemas.

At least "Coco" made up for it. A very charming and eye-popping story well told and well animated. With so much CGI in live action movies these days, this is the sort of story that is perfect for animation techniques.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Jamie has an excellent muddy hollow on LGA between the engine shed and the bridge.

In fact he spends a lot of time in there himself, surfacing only for sustenance and to bark orders.

I even have  hatch to give access from beneath that was sized so that my shoulders would fit through.

Chris

Does that mean that one is like a naughty schoolboy with a tender behind.

Anyway good evening all from  a village that is dark and getting quieter.   The house is quiet as Beth is out.   I have managed to return from Warley though not totally unscathed.   We had some weird electrical problems on Saturday morning on a section of the layout that had been  tested thoroughly only 3 weeks earlier and had performed faultlessly.   After that things gradually got running and by Sunday afternoon all sorts of moves were being performed for the first time and my EMU, in basic maroon was running well as a 3 car set.  Then as we started to run stock off I started to feel not very well.  This developed into a case of the trots.  I will spare you the details but I wasn't able to help very much with the packing away.   I got as far as Castle Donnington and called it quits and booked a Travelodge for the night. 

Fortunately this morning after a good nights sleep I felt a lot better but then had to face the rush hour traffic as we set off.   I was thus 2 hours later than planned with the unloading and palletizing.   By 1.30 most of the layout was palletised, strapped and shrink wrapped but I need to go back tomorrow to finish the job.    I finally got home about 4pm and after a nice meal cooked by Beth I fell asleep for a short while.   I now feel almost human.

Warley was hard work but enjoyable and it was good to meet so many 'virtual' friends.  Supersonic spent a lot of time talking to HH but than got side tracked by a retired aviation doctor who is creating a 3D cad model of the later LMH stock that came from London.   

The good news is that Beth had finally got a date for her hip operation after I wrote a long and detailed letter of complaint.   Unfortunately it is due 3 days before I need to go to France to meet and unload the layout.  However I have already been instructed that I must go to France.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I even have  hatch to give access from beneath that was sized so that my shoulders would fit through.

Does that mean that one is like a naughty schoolboy with a tender behind.

Anyway good evening all from  a village that is dark and getting quieter.   The house is quiet as Beth is out.   I have managed to return from Warley though not totally unscathed.   We had some weird electrical problems on Saturday morning on a section of the layout that had been  tested thoroughly only 3 weeks earlier and had performed faultlessly.   After that things gradually got running and by Sunday afternoon all sorts of moves were being performed for the first time and my EMU, in basic maroon was running well as a 3 car set.  Then as we started to run stock off I started to feel not very well.  This developed into a case of the trots.  I will spare you the details but I wasn't able to help very much with the packing away.   I got as far as Castle Donnington and called it quits and booked a Travelodge for the night. 

Fortunately this morning after a good nights sleep I felt a lot better but then had to face the rush hour traffic as we set off.   I was thus 2 hours later than planned with the unloading and palletizing.   By 1.30 most of the layout was palletised, strapped and shrink wrapped but I need to go back tomorrow to finish the job.    I finally got home about 4pm and after a nice meal cooked by Beth I fell asleep for a short while.   I now feel almost human.

Warley was hard work but enjoyable and it was good to meet so many 'virtual' friends.  Supersonic spent a lot of time talking to HH but than got side tracked by a retired aviation doctor who is creating a 3D cad model of the later LMH stock that came from London.   

The good news is that Beth had finally got a date for her hip operation after I wrote a long and detailed letter of complaint.   Unfortunately it is due 3 days before I need to go to France to meet and unload the layout.  However I have already been instructed that I must go to France.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Dealing with layouts no more than 24 feet its a great weekend but tiring so I can only imagine what it must be like to deal with a much larger layout.

Edit

I remember one show some years ago not being well and had to rest in the car whilst our team carried on operating without me. Luckily my other half did the driving home. So looks like oyu did the wise thing stopping off.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9