The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening to most!

Totally worn to a frazzled but an enjoyable few days at Warley have taken there toll.

Thanks to my ER demonstrators and to Chrisf for sitting in for Tony Wright ar the show today so that Tony could collect his expenses..

Night all!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Warley visited, worked, demo-ed and returned.

Not much accomplished in the way of actual modelling, but hopefully, plenty of people will have gone away, wanting to try it for themselves.

Teach a man to fish and all that............

A few ERs called by for a word if they got chance - some passed by with a wave as i was quite busy chatting away all weekend.

I did wonder where HH had got - he claims above that he was "covert", although there was a distinct lack of muddy hollows within the confines of Hall 5................

Thanks to Baz for the invite for the past few years - I may be on layout duty next year.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

andyram

We put the decorations up last weekend. Not my idea. I think they should go up Dec. 24.

Went to Panto yesterday -- Beauty and the Beast with my sister and her husband in it. 2 hour drive over; dinner between shows with much family.

• Like 4

Morning all. A wet and windy start to what is forecast to be a wet, cold and windy week.

I really don't feel like heading out this morning after a terrible nights sleep.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning one and all

The interval between Saturday night's fine concert with Mawkin and the departure yesterday for Warley was too short and my beauty sleep is, as always, in deficit.  An otherwise smooth journey to the NEC was punctuated by some stupidity at Corley Services.  When I returned to the car after an excellent breakfast at Harry Ramsden's I found that through either malice or stupidity another driver had parked too close for me to be able to get into my car.  Were it not for the kindness of a good fellow of slighter build who was able to squeeze through the gap, get in and move the Polo forward, I might still have been there. The show itself yielded mixed fortunes: though I procured all but one item on my shopping list I came nowhere near seeing everything or everybody, though my cousin 88C and I put the world to rights comprehensively over a cuppa.  The stand numbering system was and still is idiosyncratic to say the least and I had to ask Baz to direct me to his layout.  The lunchtime meet at 'Spoons comprised Richard Brown, JohnDMJ and me unless anyone else was there but chose to remain anonymous.  The pint of Pedigree I had was extremely average.  On the way home I was once again bamboozled by the new road layout where the A45 meets the A46 near Coventry.

In the week to come I will post most of my cards.  The two for overseas go today with the remainder following in a few days.  On Wednesday night the HMRS area group has its annual m*d*ll*ng evening which I guess will focus on the group project.  On Thursday I plan to cook a veggie stir-fry for Poorly Pal and myself.  On Friday night I am back at The Stables for a Cara Dillon concert ahead of another early start, this time for Manchester - walk to bus station, bus to Milton Keynes, train to Man Picc, possibly with seat this time.  I know, I know: I am old enough to know better.

I do not put up decorations as such but affix incoming cards to the wall with blu-tack.  On Twelfth Night they are removed, and with the blu-tack sometimes comes some of the paint.   Perhaps a better idea is required.

Warm thoughts and best wishes to all in distress and recovery.  Go for it, Andyram.

Chris 

Morning All,

It is fairly chilly in this part of the world.  We are down to 3°C, but there are reports of snow in some of the higher areas nearby.

Our Christmas decorations generally go up around the beginning of advent for the outside lights, and the second of advent for the inside stuff - although this does tend to vary depending upon what else is on.  Particularly with the Christmas tree, I like to get my moneys worth!  However, by the time twelfth night arrives, we've had enough and it's time to take everything down again.

Christmas cards are written, but we'll probably wait until the middle of the week before we send them!

Time for a coffee - Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

:lol:  .......Oh no you didn`t!!! :mosking:

:dancing: Oh yes he Did!!! :blum:

That was yesterday so it's behind him...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most,

Late getting to sleep,my brain went into planning for Warley 2018 mode.

Today is catch up day. Parcel to post , the odd sound chip to fit, lots of boxes to unpack.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Christmas decs - I've negotiated the weekend of the 9th/10th. Any sooner and I'd be grumpier than I usually am. 

Last year the kids positioned their ipad strategically to take time lapsed photos as the tree went up and was decorated. 

Was quite fun watching it back as people put stuff on and others took it off again and repositioned it.

The large piece of lining paper on the lounge floor now has some realistic lines drawn on it. Not sure whether to go for Setrack or this new Bull-thingy stuff. 

Time to jump in the car and queue. :)

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

and I might well be mooring, it's bucketing down out there and has been for some hours, gales forecast for later...

A good nights sleep was had curtesy of a Highland Park Viking legend and some pain killers.

CXXXXXXXs decorations should go up on Christmas eve, and down on 12th Night, CXXXXXXXXs adverts and music,  should start no earlier than 00:01 01:12:17, :banned:

I knew I shouldn't of mentioned the Sugar beet artics on another thread, a couple of  days ago. At 06:30 today it was beet lorry traffic jams on the roads of Norfolk . To get past each other one has to cuddle into the hedge and the other has to creep past, or in this case two had to creep past.  a few  hundred yards after the cuddling, the two turned a 90 right into a single track lane, queue more very slow driving to get round the corner even then they were onto the verge.

Half a mile later, I joined the A road, coming out behind an artic lorry load of double glazed windows. After some slowness going over the hump back bridge, it drove off and left me and I was doing the speed limits 30 /60/ 40mph. I never caught it up even when I saw in the distance it being held by traffic lights...

Left elbow still painful, bruises now showing on right hip.

The main work today is a line of High Ohmage resistors from 100Mohm to 20Gohm Seven of them, that will require 21 meaurements each with 10 to 30 minute settling time...during which I can't move much or it upsets the readings... These are measured at up to 200V but only less than 1uA, this won't kill you it you touch the terminals, but will wake you up.... I'm awake...

While typing this the first has been settling..100.00755 MOhms,  standard deviation 0.1ppm :read:

Time to....  type that into the spreadsheet and then set up the next measurement.

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS... PUTTING THEM UP NOW........NO!! its just not "normal" as a Barrovian would say.....

At least wait until after the end of November to fall into line with my Morreasons Beer Advent Calendar!   :drink_mini:

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Moan-day has arrived grey and wet. Dawn, being a sensible woman, refused to break. Plan B has been activated which requires more coffee before venturing forth.

Do I shower before leaving or should I just take the soap out with me?

Either way the day has been made more interesting by reading of antics at the Former Palace of Attendance. See what happens with my back turned???

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/two-men-caught-dancing-around-stolen-pot-plant-engaging-in-lewd-act-at-flinders-st-station/news-story/7436fa975245a26d849f32ed864e0437

Seasonal decorations will go up on Friday. Not only do they have no place in November but Thursday is aunt’s funeral and it would seem most disrespectful and inappropriate to have the place full of blinking lights .....

Make the most of today. This is not a dress-rehearsal.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder where HH had got - he claims above that he was "covert", although there was a distinct lack of muddy hollows within the confines of Hall 5................

Jamie has an excellent muddy hollow on LGA between the engine shed and the bridge.

In fact he spends a lot of time in there himself, surfacing only for sustenance and to bark orders.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Our son's birthday is Dec 10th and daughter's is Jan 4th. When they were young and at home we always put the decorations up for one and took them down after the other. I'll let you work out which. That seemed to set a reasonable time span for them to be up.

The crib scene never gets put away before the arrival of the three kings on 12th night, although the fact that they spend the whole festive season hiding behind the manger and can occasionally be seen peeping out does somewhat spoil the surprise.

This year my daughter has had hers up over a week and is insisting on helping us put ours up this coming Saturday. Where did we go wrong?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Either way the day has been made more interesting by reading of antics at the Former Palace of Attendance. See what happens with my back turned???

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/two-men-caught-dancing-around-stolen-pot-plant-engaging-in-lewd-act-at-flinders-st-station/news-story/7436fa975245a26d849f32ed864e0437

Unfortunately Rick, that link takes me to a members only area and a page asking me to subscribe.

However, you can get the general gist of the story by reading the full URL.

.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/two-men-caught-dancing-around-stolen-pot-plant-engaging-in-lewd-act-at-flinders-st-station/news-story/7436fa975245a26d849f32ed864e0437"

Edited by BoD
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit gloomy this morning but the forecast is brighter, later. Rick, your link took me to a subscription page asking me to subscribe to the newspaper before I could view the item. I have no problems with a date to put up C*******s decorations, I don't put any up. One thing I spotted on Facebook, you can now hire an inflatable pub! http://www.inflatablepubcompany.com

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Old Reg across the road was out yesterday with his leaf vac for 3 hours, he filled up 2 wheelies every last leaf was collected and his weed strewn lawn grass completely cleared, this AM at first

light there was a neat covering of leaves back over it. :whistle:

Bang on time next week it will be the turn of the cars 1 car,1 heap of shite they will be washed and polished for at lease 6 hours, Vistors to our home laugh at him when he is still cleaning

them after dark most them comment who's that nutter or what's that nutter doing, he's all way good for a laugh, shame they only let him our for the week-end etc etc.  :laugh:

• Like 16

Old Reg across the road was out yesterday with his leaf vac for 3 hours, he filled up 2 wheelies every last leaf was collected and his weed strewn lawn grass completely cleared, this AM at first

light there was a neat covering of leaves back over it. :whistle:

Bang on time next week it will be the turn of the cars 1 car,1 heap of shite they will be washed and polished for at lease 6 hours, Vistors to our home laugh at him when he is still cleaning

them after dark most them comment who's that nutter or what's that nutter doing, he's all way good for a laugh, shame they only let him our for the week-end etc etc.  :laugh:

I have been known to mow a lawn in fading light, although usually in summer. I mowed a lawn - twice - in December a couple of years ago. I thought lawns were supposed to stop growing in the winter?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

my lawn jungle doesn't stop growing in the winter, but finding a day when it's dry enough to cut is a problem.

• Like 1