The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I got the shock of my life this morning I woke up with SWMBO's arms around me and a gooey eyed look on her face she said "isn't this nice cuddled up like this on a cold day" yes dear

I replied then she offered to make the breakfast, sitting down munching breakfast she said " it would be nice to have a fur rug and an open fire" I agreed but as we haven't got those things 

shall I go and get a tarpaulin and a fan heater from the garage, she actually laughed and said "what a gentleman you are", I'm surprised I'm still alive.  :whistle:     

Edited by 81C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bob sounds like the softening up before a major purchase. Be on guard! 

Morning all, and it's a chilly one here. 

Not my turn to do the swim-lesson run today, so a lie in bed an finished reading the lat chapter of a novel. 

Plans for today are a visit to Paddington, the movie, not the station.

Also hoping to complete the acquisition of a new toy train. 

I may well take this into the office next week as it seems I'm not the only person who enjoys this hobby. 

I'm wondering if instead of emails to each other we could set up an internal mail train. 

From my experience of the company so far there would also be a need for a goods service, distributing slices of cake and biscuits around the office; is there any day which isn't someone's birthday or celebration of winning another contract?Tank traffic could also distribute liquid caffeine. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Happy Warleymas to those who celebrate.

Much scraping of windscreens would have been required earlier. Even now the grass is still white and crisp in the shadows. Arrived back from mother’s at 23.15 shivering such was the cold. Officially we still had a degree of Centigrade left but I have my doubts.

Currently the sun is shining though not heating. I have no idea what SWMBO has in store for me. I may be some time.

Have a good and a safe weekend.

• Like 10

Did it get jealous?

Apparently the shower in the wet room has come out in sympathy and went kaput this morning.

Had similar problems a few years back when the supply went neutral live and took out the dishwasher..

Others were worse off - underfloor heating being an example.

Cost the Supplier a huge amount.

Awaiting the arrival of someone who knows what they are doing.

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Black Friday here - and like any sane, sensible persons we are NOT going anywhere near any shops today! May buy a couple of things online, but that's it.

Black Friday is so yesterday.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Nice bright and sunny here this morning but cold but I prefer it to wet, warm and dull. Warley is too far away for me to contemplate, about the furthest I could manage nowadays is Peterborough. I am contemplating going to the Milton Keynes exhibition next February, I hope my friend with his young son can come with me. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

Have to get used to the auto now, left frankenfoot is enjoying its holiday from clutch action, but the left hand wants to work gears still.  This is possible as it has a manual sequential mode, but it's not the same.  Great to have the torque of a diesel again too, so what if if produces more CO2, it makes less NOx's and burns less fossil fuel while it does so. 

Neil,

Had the same problem when the auto gear shift was moved from the centre console to a stick on the right-hand side of the steering column ... at the same time as the handbrake was dispensed with and replaced by a push-button.... all very confusing at first!!

Keith

• Like 2

Today was get the sewer no machine from the suppliers who had it for a warranty repair day. Talk about withdrawal symptoms!

Then it was off to try t find a new caravan. Saw one, but then found all the things that didn't work in time.

The weekend variety of cockwomble and boy racer were out in force!

Only an 80 mile round trip :(

• RMweb Gold

Tony, there may be a problem with renumbering 46207 as 46208. 46208 and 46204 had different lining from 46200 and 46207. 46200/7 had LMS-style lining. 46204/8 had BR-style lining - orange and black, as in the BR green colour scheme. 46204/8 may have been given the LMS-style later - that's from Locomotives Illustrated 76 - The Stanier 'Princess Royal' Pacifics.

(Edit to add - Loco Profile 37 'LMS Pacifics' says 46200/4/7 had LMS style lining.)

This is the lining on the model

post-6719-0-15218200-1511624178_thumb.jpg

Tony

• RMweb Premium

C0ckwomble of the day award (so far) goes to the Audi A4 being used for speed trials around Sainsbury's car park.  Effectively preventing anyone much from entering or leaving and fairly terrorising a number of shoppers as it sped up and down the lanes and screeched and fish-tailed around the corners.  Funny how it vanished suddenly the moment a siren was audible in the distance ..... 

Interesting decision-making award of the day goes to the person or persons responsible for skip-stopping at least one train.  Very heavy loadings bound for Twickers earlier, though nothing unusual for a major Rugby international, resulted in some late running.  So at least one train, advertised as stopping at Richmond, Twickenham, Feltham etc.,  and packed to the rafters with Twickenham-bound fans was sent non-stop from Barnes to Staines to regain time ......  I'm glad I wasn't involved in any way with that!

The day continues to be cold.  The sun has barely set and it is icy on ungritted footpaths.  Buses are affected owing to a need to drive very carefully and trains are having trouble with iced juice rails making current collection an intermittent luxury.  That despite regular trips being made by the MPVs laying de-icing fluid and sandite.

Wrap up, turn the heating up and cuddle up if appropriate.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14

Morning.

Yesterday as expected, and some modeling although mostly "running session" - there was one unfortunate incident where I attempted to juggle with a schools class, it decided not to play and arrived on the carpeted floor rather abruptly - now I have to source a few parts :( Fortunately it was an item that wasn't in perfect condition in the first place, having been obtain at a fairly good price on eBay from a US owner, averagely weathered and customized with a coal load. Nonetheless, it is one of only two I own so needs to be restored. A new loco body would be preferred, off to eBay to look!

Other than that, a stay in Black Friday, and an evening catch-up on a few TV shows we like.

Today - probably more modeling/running, but also been informed we have two tasks in preparation for the MiL 100th birthday party tomorrow;

i) Obtain the necessary wine/beer/drinks - easy job

ii) Review the plan for decorating the party room. Mrs says it shouldn't take long, my interpretation it'll take a couple of hours out of my otherwise free day!

Still unseasonably warm here, sunny and hovering around ZERO first thing, and expected a high of +4

Hope Warley is going well for the presenters/attendees, everyone else, enjoy yourselves whatever you're up to...  :good:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl, from the land of the lowland haggis, http://rutland-butchers.co.uk/haggis.php

Frosty it was, it was decidedly chilly.

Kerbing installed, excess soil barrowed away.

Post box doors second coat of paint.

Minor repair to shed roof, At around 13:00 ice still in gutter...

Retreated to house frozzed....

Amazon delivery arrived.

Even chillier, stove wound up.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Yesterday as expected, and some modeling although mostly "running session" - there was one unfortunate incident where I attempted to juggle with a schools class, it decided not to play and arrived on the carpeted floor rather abruptly - now I have to source a few parts :( Fortunately it was an item that wasn't in perfect condition in the first place, having been obtain at a fairly good price on eBay from a US owner, averagely weathered and customized with a coal load. Nonetheless, it is one of only two I own so needs to be restored. A new loco body would be preferred, off to eBay to look!

A Q1 would be much better for you.

Funnily enough, I just happen to have one going spare :angel:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Rarest haggis of all is the left handed haggis, mainly because they can only mate with another left handed haggis.

As any afficianado of the haggis would know the entire species has evolved from the Prohaggis known from the fossil record of the Silurian era. McPotr and McPhothran, writing in the Proceedings of the Inchnadamph Antiquarian and Field Club, have identified poorly-preserved remains of a haggoid toe-bone from very much earlier. This may even be as old as the Pre-Cambrian Protohaggoid soup of 600m years before present and had been classified as Ngognogyzygon caledonia primeva
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a freshly shot haggis awaiting tomorrow's dinner, this a Highland haggis from Perthshire. It will be consumed with mash and gravy but no neeps as SWMBO doesn't like them.

Highland Park Dragons Legend will be the accompaniment.

The Scottish and related Viking Dragon being a much rarer beast than the Welsh dragon, as they eat flame grilled haggis and not sheep...

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

There is a dragon in Benfleet of the Viking type. It is glaring at a the local branch of a political party. I am sure this is just a coincidence. No local wild haggis, just supermarket versions imported from Scotland.

• Like 8

Apparently the shower in the wet room has come out in sympathy and went kaput this morning.

Had similar problems a few years back when the supply went neutral live and took out the dishwasher..

Others were worse off - underfloor heating being an example.

Cost the Supplier a huge amount.

Awaiting the arrival of someone who knows what they are doing.

The plot thickens.

Various 'Electrical' folk have 'phoned to say they will be here first thing Monday.

Meanwhile, an hour ago a huge vehicle arrived with another cooker.

Either they have little faith in their products and have sent a spare or have duplicated the order.

I pointed out that I had already had (and installed) a cooker and the two delivery men sighed and wearily loaded it back on the truck.

Helpfully, they told me that I "Shouldn't have said anything".

• RMweb Gold

The plot thickens.

Various 'Electrical' folk have 'phoned to say they will be here first thing Monday.

Meanwhile, an hour ago a huge vehicle arrived with another cooker.

Either they have little faith in their products and have sent a spare or have duplicated the order.

I pointed out that I had already had (and installed) a cooker and the two delivery men sighed and wearily loaded it back on the truck.

Helpfully, they told me that I "Shouldn't have said anything".

I assume the cooker works, it is just other stuff failing. I have tried to think what could have caused other items to explode following a cooker change but can't.

Hope it all gets sorted.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

It was a very cold start to the day, but as luck would have it, this morning I only had to venture out as far as the bins to deposit some items for recycling. Then it was back down to middle earth where work continued on Max's train layout.

However, as of this afternoon, the train layout no longer lives in middle earth! This is because Mike and Sarah came round this afternoon and we're stopping for tea. So Mike very kindly assisted me in bring it up stairs. It's not heavy, it's just a bit too big to carry upstairs and round a couple of corners on my own and Sheila doesn't like going into the cellar! So, it is now (temporarily) residing at the bottom end of the dining room, where it will stay, until we give it to Max on his birthday, next Friday! Tomorrow I will continue to make some more stone walling.

After Mike and Sarah had gone home, Vidal Baboon's exclusive hairdressing boutique was opened for business and thus I was shorn, ready for when we head off for Harrogate for a couple of days next Wednesday.

Goodnight all

• Like 13