The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for saving my life , but you dislocated my arm , I will have to sue you

for damages now .

American ways going worldwide now ?

Many years ago I stopped my car and got out to offer assistance to a young "lady" who looked like she was being assaulted by the man with her. She turned on me and told me to mind my own f###ing business. I'd like to say I'd still do the same thing but it does make you think.

• RMweb Gold

Is that like Euston HS2??

My tiny nieces didn't like Paddington 2. However their parents did!

I can understand that Tony - it is a very funny film and the cinema was quite noisy with adult laughter and I suspect a lot of it simply won't work for many (all?) children especially the really young ones. The railway scenes are totally loony in real world terms but fit the film really well and they even include the Didcot GWS coaling stage carefully CGI into a totally different scene.  Great fun.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl Inner Temple,

We too have been visited by white van man, this time he left a card saying try again tomorrow, timed at 13:20, then when I got home from the MRC there was another one timed at 20:50 same hand writing, also saying try again tomorrow. This was from the house of strong women... hopefully it will come tomorrow, as we'll be in.

It's chilly out there, when SWMBO went tomorrow for her weaving group at 18:30 she had to de-ice the windscreen. As the landrover had only been parked up for a couple of hours, I was OK.

Ben the Border Collie is very well behaved at the MRC now and the members seem to like him.

Work on the layout consisted of re sanding the beach, preparing the backscene for painting mountains and a general clean up of one area of track..

I need to find where I've put the crofters house that belongs on this section of layout.

Tomorrow will entail some digging, luckily of loose soil / gravel, in preparation for laying a concrete step in front of the new post box. if I can get the old concrete fence post I'm using as a kerb lined up then I'll fill between it and the wall with concrete.

Also by then I hope the package will have arrived, as it's got the hinges and locks for the post box doors. So then I can go make the cutouts for them, before the next coat of paint.

Time to... Finish this glass of Highland Park Dragon's legend before eyelid inspection time.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

My package from across the water did arrive today. The medium sized red van went past our house but after turning at the end it stopped outside and a very jolly postie handed over my parcel. I did open the parcel but didn't play with the contents as I decided to do some "woodwork". Nothing skilful just using my jigsaw to remove a rectangle of chipboard from a kitchen cupboard to enable a new appliance to be stored.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

In one book I have there is a photograph of 46208 in maroon in 1962.  The book shows photos of all the other locos of that class, taken around that time, and by then only the two you mentioned are also in maroon.

Thank you. Searching again using 46208 led me to a website other searches hadn't identified.

This has even the date the paint was applied.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=446201009&loco=6208

I can search through and order some nameplates and numbers now.

Many thanks.

Tony

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. Searching again using 46208 led me to a website other searches hadn't identified.

This has even the date the paint was applied.http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=446201009&loco=6208

I can search through and order some nameplates and numbers now.

Many thanks.

Tony

That looks a very useful website.

Good find.

Edit: Now need to go and have another look at the photo of Princess Louise.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Fitted in 16km of walking around the Hall today. Arrived 06:45 left hall 19:20....wonder if people appreciate how much volunteer work is done all model railway shows?

Hope to you at the 1967 shop or at Shap..1967 last great steam show..

Baz

• Like 5

Oh, and we departed fro the truly traditional, and had a Ham instead of turkey, this is to allow ME to have turkey at Christmas, something that only happens about every 10 years but even though I've been over here seemingly forever, I do miss Christmas turkey dinner!

Note: The family refuses to have turkey for BOTH occasions as they are too close together - that's their excuse anyway!

I have to say that the missing turkey was the first thing I noticed in your picture.

The Thanksgiving gathering that I attended yesterday had both ham and turkey. (It was a larger group.) I am partial to that solution for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Even in deepest summer in the antipodes we had both turkey and ham at Christmas though the sliced ham was served cold.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Another bright and sunny start to the day this morning. My first task was a quick walk to the butchers to pick up our weekly meat rations, alas, despite getting there well before 9:30, they had no pasties left!

Once I'd returned home, I got changed and went back down to middle earth to continue working on Max's train layout. My first task this morning was to change the plug that comes on the Hornby controller to one that matches the socket I'd fitted, then I gave his engine its first run on the layout and it worked perfectly, in both forward and reverse. It was all then packed away, ready for wrapping up. I then continued work on the coaling stage. I made a set of steps and added the sides and back as well. Once that was done I then added some more scenic bits and pieces, such as trees, shrubs and some stone walling.

This evening James and Amelia came round for tea, we had something that we've not had for quite a while, namely fish and chips, it went down really well too. Not long after they'd gone, we sat back, opened a bottle of red and didn't stop until it was empty, hic!

Goodnight all

• Like 6

Evening all. Generic greetings and best wishes to you all.

The working week has come to an end after another successful day. It has actually been quite an enjoyable day and I feel like I have made a difference. The attitude of the staff has been much more relaxed (I wonder why?). I am still debating about what to regarding the two posts I mentioned yesterday. The first of the two jobs is at a school I visited earlier in the year. Another of my ex-students currently work there and has been acting deputy since before the summer. I do know that she is not going to apply for the permanent job on account of feeling like she lacks enough experience. Certainly plenty of food for thought.

This weekend is a certain model railway exhibition. I have never ever attended the Warley event although it is on my list of "would like to do". Sarah is out all day on Sunday and Amber is likely to be at the in-laws. That certainly provides an opportunity - however I am not sure I have the motivation. I hope those who do go enjoy it.

Best Wishes

Andy

• Like 2

I have 2 models of Hornby's Princess Arthur of Connaught. I would like to renumber one that was also maroon. My internet searches indicate Princess Arthur, The Princess Royal, and two others. Does anyone know what the two others painted maroon were?

In one book I have there is a photograph of 46208 in maroon in 1962. The book shows photos of all the other locos of that class, taken around that time, and by then only the two you mentioned are also in maroon.

This has even the date the paint was applied. I can search through and order some nameplates and numbers now.

Tony, there may be a problem with renumbering 46207 as 46208. 46208 and 46204 had different lining from 46200 and 46207. 46200/7 had LMS-style lining. 46204/8 had BR-style lining - orange and black, as in the BR green colour scheme. 46204/8 may have been given the LMS-style later - that's from Locomotives Illustrated 76 - The Stanier 'Princess Royal' Pacifics.

(Edit to add - Loco Profile 37 'LMS Pacifics' says 46200/4/7 had LMS style lining.)

Edited by pH

Good morning one and all

I survived the encounter with Sister Diabetes yesterday.  She is professionally worried about my triglycerides.  Now for all I know this is a creature from Greek mythology that does not get on particularly well with the minotaur.  Blood pressure within the OK-ish range and weight unchanged make her a hard lady to satisfy.  After I was discharged from the presence I carried on walking into town [good for me] and got the bus back [bus pass valid after 09.30].  Part of the interrogation was an innocent question about how much gardening I do.  I explained, watching the colour drain slowly from her face.

Today I must write my shopping list for Warley and make sandwiches to sustain me.  This evening I will catch Mawkin in concert at The Stables.  As far as I am aware they do not have a new CD but I will check, as you would expect.  A late night tonight and an early start tomorrow is not ideal preparation for the endurance test that is the NEC but it will have to suffice and means no post tomorrow.  If anyone fancies a brief encounter and is not otherwise committed, JohnDMJ and I will be in 'Spoons at 1 pm and I am due to meet 88C by the Grange at 11 am.

Having received notification yesterday of my annual winter fuel payment it is appropriate to proffer warm thoughts to all in distress and recovery.

Chris

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but rather frosty here and a coldish day with long sunny spells is forecast.

Hope all the Warley visitors enjoy their day(s).

Last night enjoyed rugby as usual (Gloucester visited Newcastle and triumphed) and there will be more today as England take on Samoa. 

I have told management that today we do not "need" to visit any shops! We'll see how long she can go without mentioning it.

I took advantage of a deal online yesterday together with a gift voucher I had and have now ordered a new mobile phone. Let's hope it's rather smarter than the current incumbent.

Bread is mixing in the machine as I type and hopefully we've got something to accompany it at lunchtime.

In the meantime I may go and play with some trains.

Have a good day one and all,

Bob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

Having been out with Ben the Border Collie, I can report that, Proper crunchy out there, everything is white with frost.

I won't be going to Warley this year or anytime soon, it's a 3.5 hour drive,

or the quickest rail journey is via a half hour drive to:

Wroxham and Hoveton station

Change at Norwich for London

London Liverpool Street

Transfer to

Euston for a train to

Birmingham international

Total travelling time 4hours 40 minutes.

Return journey 5 hours 30 minutes not getting home till midnight....

On a Sunday due to the lack of local trains I wouldn't get there till 15:00 at the earliest!!!

Either way the journey, plus fighting my way through the crowds of the show, are too tiring. So that means it's a no go, until I have enough spare cash and spare time for two days staying nearby.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

There is evidence of a frost visible on the shed roof and lawn. Nice and sunny now.

I never made it to the pet shop yesterday so will need to go today.

Have a good day. I hope those of you going to the NEC have easy journeys and enjoy the exhibition.

Tony

• Like 13

Installed new cooker. Only took two hours.

The cooker being replaced is a free standing type.

Of course, a vent at the back conflicted with the site of the wall box so it had to be moved.

Just accomplished this and, for reasons which are unclear (and I hope unrelated) the microwave burst into flames.

Ordered new microwave.

The pine assembly kit for the chest of drawers is due to be delivered shortly.

I may be some time.