The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Have to get used to the auto now, left frankenfoot is enjoying its holiday from clutch action, but the left hand wants to work gears still. 

Just wait till you have to do your first 'quick' stop, and your left foot goes right to the floor!

• RMweb Gold

Just wait till you have to do your first 'quick' stop, and your left foot goes right to the floor!

Worse than that is the forgetting it is automatic and your left foot coming into contact with the brake pedal resulting in a rapid stop. I did that on the test drive in my first automatic Freelander, but at least not until the garage forecourt! Strangely I didnt do it once on my previous automatic experience driving round the states of New England (excluding Rhode Island)

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

Evening all. I hope today finds you well. Generic greetings and best wishes to you all.

Just one more day to go until the end of the working week. Thankfully, thus far, the week has gone fairly well. The absence of the head teacher had something to do with it of course. Interestingly the whole school has seemed much more relaxed due to this person's absence. Clearly my reservations about the management abilities of this individual are shared amongst the rest of the staff. 

I did email about the deputy position - they offered me a couple of visit times within the school day. This is hardly possible - but they have failed to answer my email about a potential after school visit. Another job deputy job has also come up at a school that failed its Ofsted last year. That would be a huge challenge - hmmmmmm.

Best wishes

Andy

• RMweb Premium

A very busy week at work as some new products arrived that had to be shipped out to dealers before Warley.

One of the new items also required building into the layout that accompanies the stand at exhibitions.

Also managed to sort out my own stuff for Warley tonight.

Call in at stand A69 if you're passing by - near Squires.

M6 on a Friday beckons - I may be gone some time.

Cheers,

MIck

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

A very busy week at work as some new products arrived that had to be shipped out to dealers before Warley.

One of the new items also required building into the layout that accompanies the stand at exhibitions.

Also managed to sort out my own stuff for Warley tonight.

Call in at stand A69 if you're passing by - near Squires.

M6 on a Friday beckons - I may be gone some time.

Cheers,

MIck

I've made a note:

This time there will be no layout to hide behind.

Jamie has paid me off by offering free storage under/behind LGA, so I will not be encumbered by my baggage train.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I've made a note:

This time there will be no layout to hide behind.

Jamie has paid me off by offering free storage under/behind LGA, so I will not be encumbered by my baggage train.

How good are you at leaping over a low table?

:no2:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Awake at 5 oh early, on the M1 just after 6, breakfast at Tamworth and at the club room in Oldbury at 9:30.

Left Hall 5 at 6:30 into a traffic SNAFU..pah!

Apart from the usual 35mph is fast in the middle lane of the M6 in Brum not a bad journey.

Seems like I have a new found "friend" on one of threads on RMWeb...bless!

Off in at 06:20 in the morning to finish table setting up, shop setting up, layout setting up (×2) so...

Night all

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

The day started off bright and sunny, but by dinner time we'd had a couple of showers. Thankfully nothing like the rain we had last night nor the rain that they had had in Cumbria and Lancashire.

Anyway, back to Max's train layout. After trying unsuccessfully this morning to get the CDUs working properly, I decided that I'd spent far too long, messing about trying to get them working, as it has to be ready for the beginning of next week! So, it was time to swing plan B into action. What is plan B? I hear you all say, well, funny you should ask! Well, plan B is that the point control will be of the stud and probe type. I will make a control panel for him, sometime after Christmas. So this morning I removed all the CDUs and I altered all the wiring, adding extra wires where necessary. However, these modifications resulted in the need for an extra multi pin socket, something I was trying to avoid. This now makes, 2 sockets for point controls and 1 socket for the track power. At the close of work today, all the alterations to the point control wiring were complete and everything was tested. I have grouped all the sockets together on a small piece of plywood, which I have cunningly disguised as a coaling stage.

The partially completed coaling stage.

post-27337-0-67722700-1511481002_thumb.jpg

Taking of cars, I once worked with a guy who had a car that couldn't drive much more than 40 miles or so. But each year, he and his family all went to Cornwall and back in the car. He always paid for the top level of AA coverage, so used to drive it until the car broke down, call the AA, who'd then load his car onto a low-loader and drive them to their destination. Once there, they didn't go very far so all was ok. But the same problem who occur on the trip back, so once again the AA would be called and he'd be driven back home.

JD. Many happy returns for tomorrow.

Goodnight all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Happy Birthday young Judge Dread, have a great time today!

Yes my troll is getting on well ...shame he seems to be tiring himself up in knots...seems usual and I suspect he will continue with his ways . Shame really, but such is life.

Now I need a mugatea before setting off this am. Enjoy your day!

For angers visiting over the weekend I will either be in the 1967 shop or on a layout in the Demo area...it is demonstrating steam in 1967.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4

Good morning one and all.  There is intelligence of a birthday in our midst so many happy returns to Judge Dread.

At my regular Tesco there are lockers in which loaded trolleys may be parked as a feasible alternative to taking them into the cafeteria or toilet.   The idea is that you place a £1 coin into the slot which enables the key to be turned and withdrawn.  Unfortunately, as I discovered yesterday, the slot does not accept the new £1 coins.  This revelation comes hot on the heels of the withdrawal of own brand custard powder about which I have ranted excessively.  Perhaps it is time for me to explore competitors.

Today I have an appointment with Sister Diabetes at 08.40.  Doubtless she is word perfect in the text of the Riot Act, though I will plead in mitigation that I have walked much more since the council cut the validity of the bus pass.  When she is done with me I have business in town, followed by that catch-all, unspecified pottering.

Andyram, you need to be a one-man escape committee.  Warm thoughts and best wishes to you and to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• Like 1

Morning All,

It is quite mild again, and just starting to get light.  It looks like it is going to be an overcast day.

Interestingly the whole school has seemed much more relaxed due to this person's absence.

Quite a few years ago, I worked for a short time in a department that had a boss like that.  Thankfully, I was on secondment and so it didn't go on for too long - but the whole department were wound up like coiled springs.  As soon as they heard that the guy wasn't coming in, or was out to meetings you could almost hear the department breath out and everything was so much more relaxed.  It was a horrible environment to work in.  To be honest, at the time I was surprised that one person could have such a negative influence on a whole team, but it really is the case.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Happy birthday, JD. Enjoy the day. :)

Jammie: wine and conviviality, received.  

To all those exhibiting at Warley, have a good one.

To all those visiting Warley, Linisol, comfy shoes and sharpened elbows. 

To anyone dreaming of, or actually dreaming in the Swaythling area, apologies in advance; I've just booked a commuter flight that takes off at 07:00.

Anyway, time to scoot off, so have a good one, one and awl. 

• Like 13

Off in a mo, no, not to Warley.....to see daughtervin Cardiff Uni.

Have a wish list of essential items to take, which naturally includes, vodka, an advent calendar and of course......coin!

Have a good un JD, to those off to Warley in whatever guise........ENJOY xxx

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A good night sleep was had, 5.5 hours wake up turn over, 2 hours sleep-ish. Painkillers help, but after the second wake up, I was screwed up in a ball again and so had a painfull straighten out.. No further painkillers have been required since though.

A frightening thing has come to my notice.....  :O  I share with GDB  :O  an early December birthday  :O  and a liking for  Highland Park :O . I hope this doesn't extend to injuries :nono: , all my current ones are ancient for sports, come back to bite me.  I don't need more from the many power toools I use, or from work where next week I've progammed some 120A and 1000 V work.... I also don't admit to Cxxxxxxxs till after my birthday.

This year I've been told I will extracting a tree from the loft, as we are having visitors this year. When I used to work for Tesco each year I would take that years tree and store it away, in case one didn't turn up the next year (managers orders). At the point of arrival of the New tree each year, I would dispose of the stored one. Some went to charitable causes, but I still have a couple in the loft, luckily we have high ceilings, have you seen the size of the trees for BIG stores?

Talking of work we've just had our annual engagement (with the company) surveys results. The section I belong to has had some of it's results go down, this is probably because most of them are under incredible pressure as a new product is soon due for release.. Another section has had it's results average (there are a lot of questions) go from averaging 35% ish to 75% ish. Now this wouldn't happen to conicide with a hated manager leaving last year would it?

Although that manager wasn't in charge of me, because I'm in an odd position, some of his decisions, have affected my grading and pay, so my opinion of him was similar to his staff...

Tescos trollies are maintained by contractors, a couple of men in a Long wheel base van (Mercedes last time I saw it) from Wales, If you open the back doors it looks like the van is packed full of spares. If you open the side doors you find a couple of Bunks and a small camping stove built in. I would guess they are slowly touring the country store by store, changing the coin slots, while still trying to do their normal maintenance. There are approximately 3450 stores in the UK.....

Time to.... measure some resistors, 1V a maximum of 100ma I should be safe with that... :scared:

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Chilly here but dry.  OK outside too.

I miss shows terribly, but I'm not sure I would enjoy Warley.  Just 'too much'??  I'm willing to try of course should someone offer the not inconsiderable funds for us to get there!  One of the downsides to Fraggle Rock life.  Never mind, the millions the journalists think I have are safely tucked up.

Just why do automatic cars have those huge brake pedals?  The need for both feet on the brakes went out with Ford Pops.  You only have to look at the pedal on this one and it puts you through the windscreen, over servo-ed doesn't come into it. Better than Ford Pop brakes though I suppose.  Or the Marina I had years ago - drums all round, no servo, but a free prayer book in several religions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and firstly greetings to JD - Many Happy Returns Your Honour!   :drinks:

In a week's time I will be 5 years behind you.

Dry here and there is a hint of something yellow in the sky. Should be a fine but fairly cool sort of day.

Hope the Warley visitors enjoy the show. I've thought about going in the past but think it's probably a crowd too far for me.

Last week I mentioned that The Boss  stated all the C#######s present shopping was done but I thought that may change.  It has! Today "we need to get a few more little things"

I'll be back later so have a good one, 

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday JD. There was an item on the breakfast show this morning about kids with special education needs, it drew my attention as has I have mentioned my friends little boy (and his sister) fall into that category. They interviewed some of the children at a special school and one girl of about 14 years old was talking of her ambition to become a doctor, this was despite her having Downs syndrome. I do hope that she succeedes despite her disabilities or at the very least her ambition takes her further up the ladder. Dry but cold this morning, much better than wet and windy that others are experiencing at the moment. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Cold today, had to scrape the car before the taxi run.  Forecast was for it to be just above freezing - what part of -2 is that????

30747's workplace gained an outstanding OFSTED inspection, which should please the staff and proprietor.  Should be her last inspection, as the plan is for her to join me in retirment in a few months.

Now awating the collection of the car, and the delivery of a loan car, which was expected by ten, but I've just had a call to say that the appointment has been delayed, and will be just before eleven.

Happy Birthday JD and many more of them.  Generic greetings as ever.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16