The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Like Q, it took more than 10 years for me to stop getting calls for HR advice after I had left the department, in fact now I think about it, I had to retire to get them to stop so it took 12!  As I moved departments within government, my e mail address didn't change as they were all Name@gov.im sort of things with no departmental component.

• RMweb Premium

I used to get phone calls for another BarryO when I worked at the rocket dept in Stevenage - his job was a bit different to mine.. I designed them ...he was the major invoice boss....

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Thought for the day:

As you drift through RMWeb, have you noticed that a number of contributors who profess to be men, are actually attractive women  pink hippos according to their their avatars.

I used to get phone calls for another BarryO when I worked at the rocket dept in Stevenage - his job was a bit different to mine.. I designed them ...he was the major invoice boss....

Baz

Did you approve them? (the invoices, that is :P )

:jester:

In the 1980s, one of my bosses used to get phone calls to approve credit card transactions. At the time, British Columbia was covered by two phone area codes. His phone number in one area code was the same as the credit card (VISA?, I can't remember for sure) approval number in the other area code.

A frustrating day where nothing went right. Just what I needed for a Friday.

Multiple cockwombles on the road for the journey home.

The first was a van with a trailer overtaking me on the motorway in the outside lane and in excess of 80mph.

The second was yet another van but towing a caravan in the outside lane.

Number three was the idiot who decided to turn right across the front of me without being able to clear the carriageway. Brakes were heavily applied along with my hand on the horn.

These are the individuals that stick in my mind but there were several drivers either with rear fog lights on or no lights at all.

After this week, a day of doing nothing tomorrow and Tolworth on Sunday should recharge my batteries.

• RMweb Premium

Did you approve them? (the invoices, that is :P )

:jester:

no they were all outgoing invoices.. quite large invoices...

I did manage (a few years later) to receive a cheque for £4.1M from the UK MoD .. unfortunately it was made out to my company not me...bugggrit!

Need some sleep so ....

Night all!

Morning to some!

Evening to others!

Baz

• RMweb Gold

I was once presented with a pad of presigned official local authority order forms by my boss. He was in a meeting where end of year fund surpluses (obviously a long time ago) were being bid for. I had the schools and colleges wish lists and filled out orders as my boss phoned through how much money he had acquired. It was quite exciting. Those signed forms were as good as bank drafts but I was very good and didn't buy anything exotic for myself.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

I have returned safely from middle earth after spending most of the day continuing to work on Max's train layout. All the ballasting is now complete and a start has been made on adding the grass material to a couple of areas. It's a little bright so I think I'll have to tone the colour down a little once I've put the first layer on.

Tonight we have Evie stopping with us, so I won't be descending down to middle earth tomorrow. But the good news is we are not all going to the Trafford Centre, which is the norm when we have an overnight guest.

Goodnight all

• Like 16

Apparently my IT department has installed Excel to my work PC as 32 bit. I've run out of memory on 2.74Mb file.

Which makes me think of the oft misquoted:

640k ought to be enough for anyone

He actually did say:

I have to say that in 1981, making those decisions, I felt like I was providing enough freedom for 10 years. That is, a move from 64k to 640k felt like something that would last a great deal of time. Well, it didn't - it took about only 6 years before people started to see that as a real problem.

• Like 3

Good morning one and all

The mysterious case of the own brand custard powder has taken an unfortunate turn. The space in my local Tesco where once it lay has been occupied by other merchandise, mostly ready to serve custard in all conceivable forms with the possible exception of pre-digested.  I was left with no choice but to buy Birds.  An enquiry of the customer service team produced only a phone number at Tesco Central to call, so I did.  This led to a not entirely coherent conversation of which the gist is that the stuff is still made but my local branch has stopped stocking it.  Why, I wonder, could I not be told this in store?

Today I visit Tolworth Showtrain.  Custard could not be further from my mind. I am sorry not to be meeting those inmates who plan to attend on Sunday.

Best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple, here.

A good night's sleep which is good as I have a 2 hour drive shortly.

What and where stuff goes on shelves in Tesco is all centrally controlled, the local staff just get a shelf plan, they are not told if something is being withdrawn locally or nationally, or just being moved to another shelf by someone else.

Occasionally central control gets things very wrong, and they try to fit stuff where it doesn't..

Last night's MRC work went well, another flocking good night, they've had a move round of all the layouts during the week and it has improved working space. I need to research getting my rocks to look more realistic for next week. Our numbers are down a bit as one is playing with 12 inches to the foot scale narrow gauge in Wales, and he provides transport for another.

Non traceable finance was obtained on the way home yesterday, I.E. muddling tokens for spending in Spalding.

Inspection of muddled rocks will occur, on site as flat as a pancake, in the Lincolnshire fens.

Time to... Have some breakfast, before setting out at 07:00.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village east of Tong.   I got various tasks completed yesterday and even got the PA working for tomorrow.  One of the Microphone leads had a wire loose inside a plug.  I thus had a good excuse for being discovered by the boss with soldering tools in the dining room. I also got in touch with two estate gents to try and get the house sale back on track.  A good evening at the club then followed.   

Breakfast will be consumed shortly then I'm off to the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association meeting in Bradford.   The main reason is to dispose of more stock that belonged to my late friend Tony but I may well end up having a good natter with several old friends. No doubt other tasks will be allocated at some point but hopefully I can do some more muddling at some point.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Reasonable night's sleep resulted in quite a late awakening for us - just before 6.  And now listening to Tony Blackburn, who is havering away as he always has.

Lots missed, though I did make time for a special visit to offer support for the first lady of ERs.  So for all the others, the usual but inadequate generic greetings are on offer. 

I probably won't get back on today, as there is a fodder run which is to be combined with a visit to an antique fair Then in the afternoon to a jumble sale where I hope to pick up some decent quality jumbles, 

Also much utterance of the G word, and power washing of the paths and patios for tomorrow - wow.

Also see that Jamie of this parish has had Lancaster Green Ayre featured in next month's issue of the Railway Modeller.  Must get one to keep as I've been following the layout's progress, and also been to one of its rare public outings, and been given a controller to play with in public too. 

Back when I can.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 15

Looks a bit grey, wet and gloomy down 'ere at Croyde - was like that last night, and it's still the same..- what to do?  Breakfast, full English for starters. Discovered a super indoor market at Barnstaple en route yesterday, one or two bits and bobs purchased......a thriving little town - so it seems........

Whatever you guys are up to today, do it well and enjoyably.

Now, where's my sou'wester,,,,,,

Steve 

• Like 16

In the 1980s, one of my bosses used to get phone calls to approve credit card transactions. At the time, British Columbia was covered by two phone area codes. His phone number in one area code was the same as the credit card (VISA?, I can't remember for sure) approval number in the other area code.

A bit apocryphal as BC only had 604 until October 1996 when 250 was added.  (I used to work in facilities and routings for AGT, now Telus) In the 80s the phone system was rapidly running out of area codes. Prior to 1985 all area codes had to have 0 or 1 as the middle digit. Exchanges had to have 2-9. It was a massive effort across every phone company in North America to change the software on every digital switch and replace all analogue equipment that couldn't handle the change. ITs amazing the useless crap one retains in memory. 

• Like 1