The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hrrrmph. It has been (gently) pointed out to me that the reason the RM tracking isn't working is probably because they haven't yet scanned it and as it's 48hr delivery (I missed that as well) the earliest I'm likely to see it is tomorrow.

Never mind, I can now go and eat chocolate instead!

By RM's own admission, Tracked 48 can take 5 days!

Today saw me revisiting haunts on London's outer northern fringe (and slightly beyond) where I haven't ventured in many a long year. Routemasters (green and red) no longer meet at Potters Bar as they once did. The 134 and the 716 are gone. You can't get to St. Albans on a "red" bus either. The 84 still runs but is no longer a part of the London network as the majority of the route is in Herts. Time was when you could reach several "green" London Country garages using a Red Bus Rover. The 84 went to St. Albans, the 96 to Dartford, the 21 to Swanley, the 71 to Leatherhead and several red routes reached Staines.

Yesterday I revisited some of the more amusing place names TfL serves though pride of place must go to the R5 bus at Pratt's Bottom. Nearby Lock's Bottom Hospital now goes by another name. It amused the schoolboy Gwiwer that there might be such an establishment purely for proctological problems. There isn't, of couse. The R5, successor to London Country route 471, is a particularly pretty hour-long rural circular.

I feel ready for a long comfortable eyelid inspection now. G'night all

The 21 is now effectively split and terminates at Lewisham. Part of the route has been allocated to the 321, which runs from New Cross Sainsbury's to Foot's Cray Tesco, along the route of the former 21 until the cross roads in Foots Cray, when it heads towards Crittall's Corner, and is part of my emergency route home when the trains are up the spout!. Until recent years, the N21 used to alternatively from the centre of town to Foots Cray (the other destination being, I think, Bexleyheath bus station). Now, however, the 321 is a 24 hour service so the N21 no longer ventures towards Sidcup.

The 96 still calls at Dartford, and goes on to Bluewater, but you now have to get to Woolwich to catch it.

When I read that you were visiting Halstead, I recalled that it was near not only Pratt's Bottom, but also Badger's Mount. Being a bit older than a schoolboy (but perhaps no less childish) when I found this out, it caused me no end of private sniggers!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The PH and I took possession of the central heating system last night whilst the Obergrumpenfuhrer was out with the SS (The Senior Section, whom after much deliberation at HQ London, will be  reverting to their old and much missed title of Rangers.)

The weeping gland of the suspect valve was dealt with and weeps no longer (I'd fitted the replacement TRVs during the day whilst the system was drained) and the whole system refilled and bled for air.  We only have two radiators out of thirteen who are refusing to warm up, but that will merely be some trapped air in some of the kinkier pipework. Since we recently fitted an auto vent to the top of the system to replace the old manually operated tap, I expect it will clear itself over the next few days:  If not I will go back to the good old proven methods and apply leeches to the affected parts!

A still calm morning with high cloud cover, so the weather for the rest of the day is entirely up to the Telfland micro-climate:  as they used to say in the opening titles of Stingray 'Anything could happen in the next half hour!'

What will be happening within the next hour is Elsa and I going to the vet's for her annual booster injections.

• Like 7

The 21 is now effectively split and terminates at Lewisham. Part of the route has been allocated to the 321, which runs from New Cross Sainsbury's to Foot's Cray Tesco, along the route of the former 21 until the cross roads in Foots Cray, when it heads towards Crittall's Corner, and is part of my emergency route home when the trains are up the spout!. Until recent years, the N21 used to alternatively from the centre of town to Foots Cray (the other destination being, I think, Bexleyheath bus station). Now, however, the 321 is a 24 hour service so the N21 no longer ventures towards Sidcup.

The 96 still calls at Dartford, and goes on to Bluewater, but you now have to get to Woolwich to catch it.

When I read that you were visiting Halstead, I recalled that it was near not only Pratt's Bottom, but also Badger's Mount. Being a bit older than a schoolboy (but perhaps no less childish) when I found this out, it caused me no end of private sniggers!

Pratt's Bottom is home to the Orpington MR club. There is also a rather good pub in the village. (disclaimer, it was a fantastic pub but the jury is still out on the newish landlord) 

My old Satnav used to give me a chuckle whenever I drove east along the A21. It would show "Badger's Mount Pratt's Bottom" on the top left of the screen. 

If I'd known Rick was wandering through the boring borough I'd have made tea. I'm literally (bus stop less than 10m) on the 96 route. 96 by the way is the old Bexley Tram route from Woolwich to Bexleyheath. Latterly the 696 trolley, and now the 96 bus but much extended to Bluewater. Next time he (or any other ER) is in this neck of the woods, let me know. We've got 6 good micro pubs, all can be done on a 3 bus circle route more or less. 

96 - Welling > Crayford gets you to the Door Hinge, soon to be open Kentish Belle, & Penny Farthing. 

482 - Crayford > Sidcup high st for the Hopper's Hut. 

51 - Sidcup high st > Welling for Hackney Carriage, Broken Drum and back to the Door Hinge. 

Side trips to River Ale house in Greenwich, Long Pond in Eltham, Star & Garter in Bromley are also doable. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

All seem duly recovered from yesterday evening's exertions although I suspect there will be quite a lot of bleary eyed little witches and horrors of the male fraternity at school today;  wonder why half-term wasn't arranged to be this week?  Next door's patio construction job seems to be still concentrating on digging - they're down to the chalk in some places so goodness only knows what sort of foundations the patio will have?

Potential attendees for Wycrail to note t hat rain showers/rain are forecast for High Wycombe on Saturday morning so it might be advisable to take your gamp.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept a little this morning, woke up at seven decided to lay in for half an hour that turned into an hour and a quarter, as I'm retired its no problem. No callers last night, just as well as I did not have any treats, it pays to be a miserable old git at times.

Pratt's Bottom is home to the Orpington MR club. There is also a rather good pub in the village. (disclaimer, it was a fantastic pub but the jury is still out on the newish landlord) 

My old Satnav used to give me a chuckle whenever I drove east along the A21. It would show "Badger's Mount Pratt's Bottom" on the top left of the screen. 

That reminds me of the cricket commentry "The batsmans Holding, the bowlers Willey."

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

All seem duly recovered from yesterday evening's exertions although I suspect there will be quite a lot of bleary eyed little witches and horrors of the male fraternity at school today;  wonder why half-term wasn't arranged to be this week?  Next door's patio construction job seems to be still concentrating on digging - they're down to the chalk in some places so goodness only knows what sort of foundations the patio will have?

Potential attendees for Wycrail to note t hat rain showers/rain are forecast for High Wycombe on Saturday morning so it might be advisable to take your gamp.

Have a good day one and all

As long as the hole isn't being used for other purposes, someone we knew ended up under the patio....

The hole digger was her husband....

who was a policeman...

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Samhain greetings to all, plus best wishes to Debs, and belated Happy Birthdays to Dom and Jamie.

I attempted to post last night but something went awry, possibly due to the fact that Martyn and I had spent four hours in the local pub to avoid the little kiddies, there are loads round here, and more importantly the sub-teen oiks who aren't averse to a bit of annoying mischief. We used to stay in and distribute sweeties but I got fed up with it. It's not what Samhain is all about. Mrs mole went on a 'ghost walk' at Netley Abbey. I have yet to hear about whether she met any; as a clairaudient medium she's more aware than most of the participants at such events.

Mrs mole has duly recovered from her cataract operations, has new glasses and is fit to drive, so has ordered her replacement Motability car, which will improve and de-stress her life no end.

The sun is out and I have laundry to hang out and other stuff to do in the green space.

Have a good Hump Day,

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Albino bunnies. For those so motivated welcome to Mo-vember.

My transit of the Boring Borough was alas timed to oblige the domestic requirements of SWMBO who prefers that I am home and dinner is being arranged when she arrives. Time spent a couple of hours from home is limited without prior arrangement. Presence of micropubs duly noted - I am a convert and have been seen occasionally in both the Brooksteed and Anchored in Worthing during family time.

Of those former LCBS/LT Country Area garages mentioned I don't think any are still in use and most if not all have been levelled for redevelopment. The 465 still reaches Leatherhead and indeed Dorking where it terminates at the former garage location and is the farthest south "red" buses have ever run on all-day every day service. Surrey supports the section south from Leatherhead and which must be an embuggerance for locals as only Oyster cards (£1.50 any trip, free for London over-60s and Surrey over-65s) can be used whereas every other bus in Surrey accepts cash and the National Free Travel passes.

Today is domestic engineering day. The uniquely moving sound of Runrig is filling the air. I shall set forth later though neither to Badgers Mount Pratts Bottom nor the nearby location which is correctly descibed on the iBus displays as High Street Green Street Green. Remove "High" and you might be struggling to find a location including those words in that order. Instead I might reach Richmond Park if the sun keeps shining. There's deer in them thaar woods!

Have a good one. Large flat white (not a latte) no sugar thanks.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I once was in Turnhouse (EDI) airport / bar / executive lounge, with Runrig, they gave a good few songs from the back of the aircraft and no one objected on the flight to LHR.

I've also not done any real work for the last 3 hours, we have a new expenses scheme, so I've just been instructed on that, plus I've just booked my own hotel etc. Years ago companies had secretaries who sole job was to book hotels , check expences were within the correct limits and check all paperwork was correct. Now everyone including very high managers spend lots of their own, expensive per hour time, doing such things for themselves, (as well as lowly pondlife like myself).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Addendum. I've thought a bit about this first.

Yesterday I encountered a First Order Cockwomble. Not in charge of a car but responsible for my safe travels aboard a number 84 bus to Potters Bar.

Pulled away from the stop into congested Barnet High Street and clipped mirrors with an oncoming bus. Drove on and into the path of oncoming traffic leaving them no option but to stop. Half a mile farther on and there is one parked (broken down?) car our side of the otherwise clear no-stopping road. Cockwomble swings out late to go around without braking and into the oncoming lane of traffic. We are almost in head-on collision with a Bentley probably worth more than the bus. Bentley mounts the kerb to pass. Bus continues forwards on wrong side of road and meets a BMW (yup, Hadley Wood is that sort of area) who isn't about to stop for anyone.

Bus suddenly stops. Passengers pitch forward. BMW displays a single-finger salute before squeezing past. By now we are round the obstruction and back in our own lane. Cockwomble continues without batting an eyelid. Or checking his passengers are OK. Or apologising.

TfL has instant feedback on its app allowing the passenger to send comments which are timestamped and automatically populated with the bus registration number and driver's number. That comes from the iBus system via wifi. Clever little tool which I have used once or twice. As I noted above the 84 is no longer a TfL route so that doesn't work. It requires the more tedious emailing or phoning of someone to report poor driving.

I have noticed a huge improvement in London bus driving standards since the DCPC (Driver's Certificate of Professional Competence) became mandatory. It applied to all bus drivers. But it hasn't weeded out a few rogues outside the Capital.

The same operator was responsible for a later trip on what was a "red" bus route. The driver was of the lead-foot variety (pedals only work if pressed violently and fully to the floor) and triggered several speed advice signs for exceeding 30mph. My estimate was that she was somewhere above 40mph. And surly with it. Bad hair day maybe? But that one did go through on the TfL app.

If I'd known Rick was wandering through the boring borough I'd have made tea. I'm literally (bus stop less than 10m) on the 96 route. 96 by the way is the old Bexley Tram route from Woolwich to Bexleyheath. Latterly the 696 trolley, and now the 96 bus but much extended to Bluewater. Next time he (or any other ER) is in this neck of the woods, let me know. We've got 6 good micro pubs, all can be done on a 3 bus circle route more or less. 

96 - Welling > Crayford gets you to the Door Hinge, soon to be open Kentish Belle, & Penny Farthing. 

482 - Crayford > Sidcup high st for the Hopper's Hut. 

51 - Sidcup high st > Welling for Hackney Carriage, Broken Drum and back to the Door Hinge. 

Side trips to River Ale house in Greenwich, Long Pond in Eltham, Star & Garter in Bromley are also doable. 

The Hackney Carriage even displays a 51 sign with the names of the four pubs that can be reached.

• Like 1

I once was in Turnhouse (EDI) airport / bar / executive lounge, with Runrig, they gave a good few songs from the back of the aircraft and no one objected on the flight to LHR.

I've also not done any real work for the last 3 hours, we have a new expenses scheme, so I've just been instructed on that, plus I've just booked my own hotel etc. Years ago companies had secretaries who sole job was to book hotels , check expences were within the correct limits and check all paperwork was correct. Now everyone including very high managers spend lots of their own, expensive per hour time, doing such things for themselves, (as well as lowly pondlife like myself).

You're lucky. We have to use some third party crap app called KDS. Invariably it gives you worse hotels at higher prices that what I can get from Booking.com. Same goes with flights and train fares. Spent £176 on an open return to Birmingham at the beginning of the month as I had to book through the "system". Same trip, same trains would have been £90ish booking a 7 day advance directly with the Bearded wonder. 

The Hackney Carriage even displays a 51 sign with the names of the four pubs that can be reached.

We should attempt a boring borough modeller's pint there one day. 

• Like 1

HUMP day.

Finds me at home today as I wasn't about to brave the o'dark thirty drive into the office since I'm still fighting off the sore throat.

Yesterday uneventful except for spending a little time at lunch time at the "other house" whilst a locksmith replaced all the locks for me - long story involving older locks that can't simply be exchanged for the current style/footprint sold at the stores <sigh> <yawn> <groan>.

A few trick-or-treaters here, we've not too many kids of that age in the neighborhood at present so was a little sparse. Even so, reports across town are that even with temperatures around -2, coldest in nearly 8 years now, there was generally a "good showing" whatever that means!

Newsflash: Once again making a pilgrimage to Blighty next week, arriving Tuesday Noon, leaving the following Tuesday (14th). Will be spending 1+ days at the 747 simulator as I did last year on a charity gig. Mrs accompanying this year so we'll be also doing some extended visiting of friends and family and some additional sightseeing of her choice..

Question: Are there any decent Train Shows in the southern parts (south of the Thames and east of Bournemouth) the weekend of the 11-12th? Last year Tolworth was visited and some ERs met. Any similar venues that are happening? We're not sure exactly where we'll be staying over the weekend, but possibilities are between Addlestone, Hampton Hill and the Lewes area. Depending on which one we're ultimately at, a "sane" (maybe no more than an hour) driving distance from one/any of those would be the options.

Right on ZERO this AM and holding there, cloudy and expected to only reach +2 later.

OK, back to work, tackle the HUMP and head downhill for the weekend.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Ian, the Tolworth show is on again that weekend.  

http://www.hamptoncourtmrs.com/showtrain/showtrain%202017.html

I will probably be in attendance again with at least one other, probably on the Saturday.

Can't find any other shows that might suit you but I'm sure someone will be along in a moment with more info.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

Ian, the Tolworth show is on again that weekend.  

http://www.hamptoncourtmrs.com/showtrain/showtrain%202017.html

I will probably be in attendance again with at least one other, probably on the Saturday.

Can't find any other shows that might suit you but I'm sure someone will be along in a moment with more info.

Oooo...BINGO.

There's a good chance we'll be staying with the same friends at Hampton Hill, arriving there Sunday AM. So it might work out perfectly for the "train interested" member of the couple will join me again, whilst the two Mrs can have a visit - that could be PERFECT - now just to sell the idea to the various parties :jester:

I see from the link they are again providing "One child free with every paying adult", I'll pass on that again I think :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Just caught up having PM'd Ian and it appears Tolworth is the place to be. Just a short hop on the 281 bus from the Hill. After a few steps to Twickenham Green first.

• Like 13

Drove home yesterday, over 6 passes/summits on the way. Great weather, though temperature didn't get above 5 Centigrade till we were out of the mountains. Just out of interest, this morning I looked at the BC Highways webcams for the route. The road on the final two summits (4200 feet plus and 4400 feet plus) was covered with snow, with snow still falling on one of them. We were lucky.

• Like 2

Ahh yes... Tornado sirens are all running :jester:

1PM first Wednesday of the month - TESTING, TESTING...

Thanks for the responses so far on the train shows - Tolworth sounds like it deserves to be attended, now have to find out if "I" will be deserving ;)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Ahh yes... Tornado sirens are all running :jester:

1PM first Wednesday of the month - TESTING, TESTING...

Thanks for the responses so far on the train shows - Tolworth sounds like it deserves to be attended, now have to find out if "I" will be deserving ;)

Tolworth does sound interesting. We have managed to get ourselves across London for the Hampton Court flower show in the past. Somehow I previously thought Tolworth was somewhere else completely! I might have considered it this year but we will be off to the Midlands for a couple of days on the 13th and 14th. We are attending a funeral on the 14th. My uncle died recently. He was the last of my mother's siblings. I am now the oldest person in that branch of the family which seems odd.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Tony, the show at Romford is also on the 11th. I'll be collecting my friend and his young son from Benfleet but there will be a spare seat in the car if your interested.

Thank you that is very kind. However I suspect we will have to be visiting MiL in Enfield that day. What with our going to Dublin this weekend and MiL's busy social life it may be the only day we can go! I have just remembered I need to book Robbie in to kennels for the two days we are away for Uncle's funeral. I will do that tomorrow when I leave him for this weekend away. When we go anywhere there seems to be a big pack of medication. Robbie gets one this time too.

Edited by Tony_S