The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and a cool 8oC here. Some cloud and bright or even sunny spells forecast.

The Boss has been taken to work and no daily orders have been  posted. This is good

Which means I can do what like. This is better.

The kids are visiting after school. This is the icing on the cake.

Waiting to hear if any more parcels are being despatched. Won't hold my breath though.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

I would like to say a sincere thank you, to the many E.R`s who`ve supported John and I throughout John`s protracted illness; your kind thoughts, prayers and good wishes, have been a great source of hope and comfort.

Debs.

Good morning one and all

Some heavy civil engineering took place yesterday, to wit my haircut.  My barnet no longer resembles a brillo pad.  With a load off my mind some more gardening was done later in the morning and two lots of ironing in the afternoon.  Somewhere in all that lot I continued to investigate train fares to Cardiff.  Three different websites gave the price of an off-peak return from Paddington to Cardiff Central as £50.75 with railcard.  This compares unfavourably with £17.20 from MK to Manchester on Virgin, the difference being that the latter company offers advance tickets 12 weeks before the desired journey.  National Rail Enquiries’ website has become a bit flaky in that it tends to fail to display the desired times and fares, providing instead a list of TOCs from which to choose.  I suppose someone thinks this an improvement.

Light relief came last evening when Nigella made a queen of puddings on her new TV programme.   One of my favourite dishes but do I mean Nigella or the pudding?

Tonight I travel to London for a concert.  Jack Carty is support and I can’t remember the name of the headline act.  Ah, here it is: All Our Exes Live In Texas.  I wonder who they are.  I will know soon enough.

Best wishes to all in distress and recovery.

Chris

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I would like to say a sincere thank you, to the many E.R`s who`ve supported John and I throughout John`s protracted illness; your kind thoughts, prayers and good wishes, have been a great source of hope and comfort.

Debs.

attachicon.gifDSC_0319-001.JPG

There appears to be something in my eye.

Remember the good times with fondness, Debs.

Thoughts are still with you.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather cool village a few miles South of Baz. Breakfast is being consumed. Then some tidying and putting away will be done. After that it's off to the clubrooms to work on Green Ayre for the day.

FiL seems to be turning the corner but is still in hospital. I may well call and see him at some point today.

Thoughts are with Debs.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Debs, you're in our thoughts each day. 

ps, GDB has been naughty on the previous page. :)

Morning all, overcast start to the day here. However, last night saw significant progress against the firework prep plan.

I believe we are 2 days ahead of schedule with last year's risks and issues addressed.

We had a nice bottle of red whilst prepping. 

Heading off to join a queue of traffic. Have a nice day everyone. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from yet another delayed Southern service.

After Sunday’s storms in Central Europe and the 7 hour delay of our tour train due to fallen trees, the bus from Liberec had us back in Prague before the booked time of the tour. Still yet to find out what time the tour did arrive back but we had a good evening in Prague late night with those who either didn’t go for the early mornings option or managed to get off the tour when it got in to Liberec and dashed for a bus back to Prague.

Yesterday’s flight on time but not so good when we tried to get a ticket to Redhill from the ticket machines

First one just couldn’t find Redhill the the adjacent machine did. This delayed us getting to the platform where the GWR service had like the doors early and departed about 30 seconds early. Next train was half hour late due to a broken down train in the London area so we were home later than we hoped.

This morning our train is late. Been a crawl all the way from Purley to East Croydon so now over ten late.

The only train in over a week that we have been on was the tour on Saturday which at one point was running 40 early. Shame that the extreme weather affected Sunday’s trip but in the circumstances it’s goid that it even ran.

At least it’s a shorter working week for us.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner temple here, it's taken a while for the eyes to clear from seeing John and Debs Photo, to carry on with my pointless witterings..

My thoughts are still with Debs...

Another good -ish nights sleep 4 hours solid then another 3 hours of broken sleep. Not bad for me.

The heating was a bit busier this morning and the outside world chillier, But still no frost.

The radio womble, is wittering on about trick or treat  / halloween. Neither of which were celebrated when I was a child or even till after I started work. Guy Fawkes was the only thing at this time of year and fireworks restricted to the nearest Saturday or November the 5th. Not the fortnight of bangs and whistles we get now upsetting the animals.

Luckily we don't get the begging monsters at the door where we live.  Bah Humbug...

Later a trip to a big orange shed wll be undertaken, Which reminds me I still haven't clambered my way through the landrover to unjam the back door...I need 30 blocks and hopefully they'll have some wood.

Oh the results from our Aylsham MRC Exhibition were quite good, a slight increase in visitors, which was good considering we were unable to organise transport from  the car park to the show this year. Those responsible Lumbered with organising next years show are working hard on an alternative venue if the current site becomes unavailable due to their rebuild starting shortly. 

More and more couriers deliver on a Sunday, Amazon delivered some stuff this Sunday even to the middle of nowhere on the coast of Norfolk.

Time to ...   take the Next measurement, 1000V 305Hz...

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Another year completed. Doesn't feel like it really, but I may yet end up judging differently in a few years!

This year, Reformation Day is a nationwide holiday due to the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation, so everything is fairly quiet outside. No work today either, so we'll be in Halle later.

Debs, I was happy to see your message in here. We're all there for you if you need an ear, and I suppose I speak for everyone when I'm sending thoughts your way. It really shouldn't have been this way…  :cry:

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday the radiator valve, which I have always deemed suspect finally expired. attempts to fix it resulted in the gland starting to weep, so after  aquick consultation with my tame builder friend it was a case of draining down the whole central heating system to sort the problem.

8mm pipe and an obviously 10mm fitting that had been 'adapted' did not impress me.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has now suggested that all the old RTVs, none of which work properly, could be replaced whilst the system is drained down.

Of course after the discovery of  'Pipegate', I  will need to go around and check all the RTV's to ensure that I have the right sizes for replacements and the various consumables that go with them.

In the meantime, the Obergrumpenfuhrer is starting to make noises about the house being cold. 

Just put on another jumper sez I.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. A dry and warm start to the day.

Another day of teaching ahead of me which after yesterday I'm looking forward to.

Have a good day everyone

Hi Duncan you would look good in a tweed jacket with elbow patches,  :mosking:

BTW will you be joining Bob & I at Wycrail this year as ever you are always welcome to join us at shows.  :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thoughts are with Debs and I too seem to have something in my eye. As many of you know I am on Facebook as are a few other ER's. I had a quick look in earlier this morning and every other item was an advert and I seem to spend a lot of time telling them that the ads are totally irrelevent to me, I know one ER at least who may require the services of a horse dentist but it aint me. Another thing that annoys is I keep seeing the same ad but with a different company name, don't these people realise that I'm not interested.

Greetings all. Thoughts still with Debs.

Birthday greetings to Jamie (belated) and Dom (assuming I read his post correctly)

Things have been busy at work, year end and all that, and will continue to be until the beginning of December.

Added to all that my sister's husband had a heart attack last week. He's only 49 and fit as a fiddle. He does however have family history. Hopefully the stents he is having fitted will make the world of difference to his health going forward.

Have a good day all