The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

It is around -3°C here this morning. I came into work a little later than usual as I am on call from 09:00 for 24 hours. I am hoping that things will be quiet!

We haven't had any new snow, although there is some precipitation forecast for later. However, the weather people seem unsure as to whether it will fall as snow or rain.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

It's about -4° outside and the forecast for tomorrow predicts a daytime maximum of just -10° :blink: . I sure would need to wrap myself in well if I were to go railfanning, which I may well do anyway as they're predicting mostly sunny weather! Today a shopping trip to the city will be up, though. I'm just beginning to notice just how much of the tram network I already explored! :D

Have a good day everyone!

19f here. After the blizzards the three major Airports (JFK, Newark and LaGuardia) had all reopened by 6:00pm last night (Monday).

However most of the Airlines did not take advantage of this fact and very few flew in. If you see delays caused by bad weather in New York Area it's really caused by the Airlines - the Airports were only closed for about 12 hours.......I know that causes big problems but not as much as 24 hours closure does (or more).

The New Jersey "State of Emergency" was rescinded yesterday evening which is remarkable as the highest snow total I found in the 'State was 31.5 inches at Elizabeth (near Newark Airport). They are still having problems on part of one major Interstate due to it's peculiar topology (straight down a very steep hill).

All in all we are in good shape, really.

Best, Pete.

Good moaning all from the boring boring borough. I'm around, but not had much to say recently.

Stewart, very sorry for your loss. I understand what you are going through. There are going to be a lot of mixed and confused emotions going through you. As hard as it is try to focus on the more positive ones.

Christmas was a quiet affair with just the 3 of us. No big spending this year. We just filled each other's stockings with small gifts. I did get a lump of coal in my stocking. We seem to have found one of those magic turkeys that the more of it you eat the more there is left over. At the current rate it will be feeding us for the next 20 years or so B) . Our one treat was to replace the lens on the camera after the old one got smashed in Sept. A couple of days after buying it I came across an article showing how some old Nikon 35mm lenses can still be used with the D80 and D90 digital cameras. SWMBO has an old FE still so I thought I'd dig out the lens to see if it would work. Turns out it does, so now we have 2 working lenses. The autofocus is a bit noisy but it now gives us options as its a 28-70 while the new one is a 70-300.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I wasn't awake early today. We had a enjoyable day yesterday with the relatives but it was rather tiring, even Robbie looked exhausted!

I'm not really sure what I'll be doing today. Matthew will be revising, he has an exam on the first day of the new term. Aditi claims she will be writing up something for her thesis but this will require digging a path through to her desk. The study has been used over Christmas to put everything that was "in the way" out of the way.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

My condolences Stewart, sorry I didn't say so yesterday but I was up visiting my brother.

No trace of snow whatsoever here now, just the 'underwater' gloom. My mood is not lightened by the nasty, chesty cough I seem to have developed over the last couple of days. 2010 keeps on kicking till the bitter end! A trip to the pharmacy is in order I think.

Have a good day anyway lads.

Dave.

Morning all.....I trust you are all in good shape after the recent excesses.

House is gradually being returned to its rightful owners. Mum went yesterday, MiL will go this morning and son and daughter/boyfriend will depart after lunch.

By mid afternoon peace and tranquility will return....:)

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to all of you for your messages of support.

I've got very mixed feelings, as I left home at 17, to start an independent life, and as I soon moved to England, I was isolated from the more normal family ties quite early. Also, my mum was in a home as she had dementia, and really the person I knew went several years ago, so I did much of my grieving and said my goodbyes when she got to the stage of not knowng me when I visited, as the person I knew actually died then. No doubt things will come to a head nearer the funeral, but I've got a very supportive wife.

Almost impossible to get anything done until tomorrow as officialdom is closed down, and closes again for two days next week, so we can't even fix the date.

Thanks and Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Grey and gloomy hereabouts. That's the weather by the way not me. :)

Sorry to hear of your loss Stewart. Even more difficult at this time of year getting stuck in that limbo state of not being able to get the necessary done. Best of luck with officialdom though my experience is that this is one area where red tape gets sorted without too much hassle and folks will sort things for you. Let's hope 2011 deals you a better hand.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

That is very sad news Stewart and of course my thoughts are with you and your family. I think 2010 has been a troubled year for a lot of us - I've had quite a few bad experiences but equally some great high points. Here's looking forward to 2011...

Today I've got a few things on the agenda - mainly packing for our 6 day stay in Holland which of course starts tomorrow. I'll have to clear one of the memory cards on the camera.

• RMweb Gold

Today I've got a few things on the agenda - mainly packing for our 6 day stay in Holland which of course starts tomorrow. I'll have to clear one of the memory cards on the camera.

Is the trip to Holland a family trip or something to do with your college course?

Morning All, Grey and gloomy hereabouts. That's the weather by the way not me. :)

Sorry to hear of your loss Stewart. Even more difficult at this time of year getting stuck in that limbo state of not being able to get the necessary done. Best of luck with officialdom though my experience is that this is one area where red tape gets sorted without too much hassle and folks will sort things for you. Let's hope 2011 deals you a better hand.

Cheers

Dave

My sincere condolences Stewart. I'm in the same boat, but the other way around here in the Far North, with MILs cremation tomorrow in Cambridge. She died on Nov31 - her 86th birthday. just as the first of the winters snow disruption started. I have to be honest and say that between my wifes best friend, and a gentleman called Arthur at Co-operative Funeral Care in Cambridge, we could not possibly have had more help with sorting out the arrangements, and such inevitable bureaucracy that exists. May you have as little stress as possible in this trying period.

• RMweb Gold

Well I've actually had a productive day today unlike so far this holiday!

Been trying to record a couple of my improv pieces on the piano and have come up with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eTPui1uVbs

Perhaps one day I will be able to include more of a structure to the songs I produce and add some lyrics... laugh.gif

The thing I find hard about it all is the fear that I've accidentally copied someone else's song.

There's a longer, slower song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WJFXMd0Q4I