The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I'm fine Baz thanks.

It was very minor. A brush with the side of a narrow road to pass an oncoming vehicle. Whatever got me was under leaves. Embarrassingly stupid really. One flat tyre and one with a bulge on the wall. As I only have one space saver wheel, recovery was necessary as I didn't fancy driving on a. Wheel with a bulge. I got the car back yesterday with new tyres and a check revealing that not even any wheel realignment was needed it was that minor.

I will be at Hartlepool this morning after all. I will try and say hello if you don't look too busy.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry at the moment and blue sky starting to appear. Should be some sunny spells initially followed by blustery showers becoming more frequent later.

Rather a late start for me as I slept like a log last night, must have overdone it on the domestic task front. Didn't even get into the railway room.

Boiler service was successful as expected and no problems found, certainly shouldn't have been any on a 2yo appliance.

Tonight we're off to an old friend's 60th birthday party, this may will very probably cause a late start for me tomorrow, I may even be absent all day. At least this will give you a rest from my daily drivel.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another mug of tea and then I'm off out to first the Brentwood swap meet and then the Chelmsford exhibition. Tony, I might not have enough time to deliver the whistle for your Peckett so I'll pop a couple in the post. Got to go now, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another mug of tea and then I'm off out to first the Brentwood swap meet and then the Chelmsford exhibition. Tony, I might not have enough time to deliver the whistle for your Peckett so I'll pop a couple in the post. Got to go now, be back later.

Thank you. Benfleet High Road has road works while gas mains are replaced ! The leaks have been patched for about the last 40 years but all new stuff is going in now.

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a blustery South Coast.

Currently sitting in a bar in Chichester that does teas and coffees then serves alcohol from 11am so having tea.

Did go into Wetherspoons but as usual there are t enough staff to serve and both of them are having to go replenish the coffee etc so gave up waiting as the bar was becoming very packed and that normally means they don’t serve I order and I will only get wound up. Can’t remember the last time that I actually got served in there.

My other half has brought her mum into Chi to do shopping hence why I am here before heading by train to Barnham to meet John DMJ for a quick beer the nohoto the steam special heading to Bognor. The special has departed Victoria and so far on time so fingers crossed that the weather doesn’t affect it but Southern services do appear to be going up the creek around here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Baz,

Thanks for pointing out the proximity of Hartlepool and Stockton.

Unfortunately baby sitting duties are being undertaken at present, so my attendance at any other venue other than at the back end of a pushchair would be viewed in a negative light.

Currently watching Peppa Pig!

• Like 14

Good day all from la borough d'boring. Finally received the ransom demand for my trains. Paid online and rather than wait until Wednesday (first slot available ffs) I sauntered off to the Dartford depot to retrieve my goodies. The cars are already fettled and entered into the database. The loco (a Bowser CP SD40-2F) has had its CV settings scraped into JMRI and all configured. Still hoping my Rapido FA-2 arrives before the Mendip Freemo meet in 2 weeks, but I strongly doubt it. 

This morning we've been up, out, fed at the nice little French Cafe on the high street, and the bits of shopping sourced from Morereasons. <mini rant> Why the feck do these shops continually rearrange everything? Drives me nuts when you want to get in and out in a hurry only to have to traverse the whole bloody 24+ aisles just for half a dozen items. I know why they do it but its still a pain in the arse. The other thing with our local Morereasons is they've put in a bloody party shop where the bakery used to be. So no locally made goods anymore. 

Ian, may I suggest the 'spoons app. I've used it very successfully when wanting to jump the queue. On more than one occasion we've had our food and drinks before people still in the queue have even been served. Only downside is the guest ales aren't always updated properly. 

The rest of the day is all mine. Shed, trains, beer. 

Enjoy your day. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Ben the Scaredy cat Collie is cuddled up to me, head on my knee, frightened of the wind whistling around and we've only got 40mph so far. Clear blue skies as well....

The rain is of course waiting till we are dressed up for the dinner tonight, I predicts a dash from gravel carpark to hotel in horizontal rain, difficult for SWMBO in high heels and me keeping the kilt down.

Roof fitted to the post box, so now it just needs doors and finishing.

I'll go out shortly to use some sealant where frame meets uneven breeze blocks.

Interior LED light fitted to landrover, no light. Power right to the LEDs but otherwise nothing. Not a happy bunny, I've had these a long time so can't go back to the supplier.

SWMBO not happy with her new steam iron, she says it doesn't work properly, I think sadly she no longer has the strength to add that little bit of weight behind the iron.

I've ordered over £100 worth of scatters and flocks for my two muddle railways.

I have a lot of flocking work to do...

Time to go use some sealant, then in for a sandwich, eyelid inspection, then start polishing some shoes.

• Like 10

Just discovered that the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run is taking place on Sunday 5th November and part of the route is within walking distance of my abode. Can't ever remember it being that close in the 57 years I've lived in this area. 

Hi GB and all

When I lived in Croydon it always went along the Brighton Road (A23 as-was-then). Don't recall it ever going to Sutton... but that was long time ago!

Sunny here, expecting a little rain later.

A good letter in The Guardian today: "Dried coffee grounds make a good replica of tilled earth for OO gauge model railways", from John Loader, West Witton, N Yorks. It referred to a piece about nine uses for coffee, presumably now ten, because Victoria Beckham eats the occasional coffee bean.

With that, have fun today

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned by Andrew I find the repeated moving of supermarket products irritating. I know why they do it. Irritatingly they don't change the overhead signage. I did once send a stroppy message to Tesco that instead of wasting my time I could go to Sainsbury. I think our local Sainsbury has never changed its basic layout.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sainsburys don't seem to change the basic layout much but they keep on changing the positions of items within the same set of shelving - recent change has been the reversing of apples and oranges on the fruit shelves. Subtle changes to keep you on your toes!!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Just watching Britain's lost masterpieces.

Set this time in Hospitalfield house, Arbroath. On the site of a leprosy hospital run by monks

For a while the voice over womble wittered on about the Treaty of Arbroath,( declaration of Scotland's independence) then made the wonderful statement." Henry 8ths dissolution of the monasteries "

Oh yeah? There were two queens and a king in England 2 kings and 1 king scotland) before the unification of the crowns of England and Scotland. Henries dissolution was done by 1541, Arbroath monastery survived until 1590 with the Scottish reformation, nothing to do with Henry 8th.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that supermarkets need a WTF (W = where) app you can download onto your smartphone and actually find things!

Aditi couldn't find Puy lentils in Waitrose yesterday. She was told they were on a shelf with nuts but they were a precooked version. So no lentils tonight.

• RMweb Premium

Chippy's finished his work, even did few snags too - but the plumber is a no show.  #sigh#   Monday now.  Still, we got one paint, and failed to chose the second due to....well.....someone close to me who forgot to bring the matching swatch thing.  I picked what I thought we should get, it was discounted by management as wrong and on coming home (42 mile round trip) I was right.....#bigger sigh#  Pixxed off of Andreas.