The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all. Congratulations, commiserations and get well soon to people as appropriate. 

Here in Derby the fireworks are in full swing - definitely Diwali celebrations. We have several families who live nearby who will be celebrating this particular festival. In fact one of our staff members was off today for the same reason. I hope they all have an enjoyable day.

Today has seen the end of my "dry" week. I am not referring to the weather of course - but the consumption of alcohol. The lack of any in the house, coupled with my recent stomach problems have meant that I have steered clear of any since the weekend. My resistance broke today. It really has been a busy week which began with working on the leadership task on Monday. Then there was two nights of parents evenings with second one followed by a night of Avon deliveries.

Tonight has seen more Avon deliveries after another busy day on the leadership task. There was also a drive into the city centre, through the rush hour, for a long overdue dental check up. That was probably the final straw and I was taking a detour via the local supermarket tonight for a pack of ales. The first can is very welcome right now.

I am not surprised the Bullhead thread has finally been closed down - some people take things far too seriously is all I can say!

ChrisF - I am trying to comprehend someone just dumping a caravan on a street. I wonder if it was stolen! I hope it gets moved soon - it seems parking is an issue around your home.

Mick (NB) - I hope the injury is healing.

Best wishes 

Andy

Leaves on the line... simples.. cut the bl€€dy trees back....

Baz

Completely agree. I have been known to help in this. My mother in Wokingham lives next to the line where it is in a cutting, and BR used to keep the cutting clear. Now the trees are just allowed to grow, so at Christmas when there is no service, we have had a family work party in the cutting clearing the trees to reinstate her view, and allow the sun back into her garden. As she has an open fire, the wood also comes in handy too!

Further massacring of hedges with chainsaw has been done today, again with the added bonus that some of the hedging was so thick, it will make good firewood in time. We now have a good view of the River Conwy for the first time in a very long while. It is back home tomorrow, stopping to collect SWMBO from her friend in Mold.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Diwali. Once described to me by a Hindu neighbour as "Like your Christmas only better".

There would be very few Hindus here. The immediate area is conspicuously, perhaps for this day and age embarrasingly, white. The one Indian family in our block (who I believe are Christian) stand out. Even the great majority of St. Mary's students are white.

Ten minutes away it's a very different story. Teddington is as racially mixed as most other outer suburbs. It's just us.

Night all.

• Like 8

Being classed as asthma free after 4 weeks is downright stupid! A couple of years would make more sense but still dodgy.

Can't be anymore stupid than being classified with asthma aged 6 and given inhalers to deal with it.

My son slept with a very soft fluffy teddy every night. We took it away and voila, no asthma. All the way through school he was a top footballer, sprinter and cross country runner.

Asthma?

My ar5e!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Interesting points on food ... on the rare occasions when we go out - you will see why by the end of this post-  it is easy to decide what to eat ... even 'seasoning' wrecks it for me and I have had to send steaks (the only item on a menu that normally I can eat) back because they do not seem to understand the term please 'no seasoning and no sauces'.

I'm not sure what BBQ means in this context. With the brisket reference, I'm thinking a smoker, but if you mean a grill, then are grilled vegetables or even fruit an option?

I still object to what I would call overcooked English vegetables. Steamed vegetables are a wonderful thing. Boiled not so much. Boiled cauliflower or broccoli can be really nasty.

I have multiple BBQs. One is a Kamado which can be used for grilling or smoking. The other is a Weber propane which basically can replace the kitchen oven and hob. For the past few years our Christmas breakfast and dinner has all been done out doors. Firing up the Kamado for just a few grilled veggies is a bit of a waste so I tend to grill, cool, and then smoke in order to use all the charcoal lump wood efficiently. A mini Kamado is in the butter up the Mrs stage as is an offset smoker.

Over cooked veggies have no place in decent society. Even the cheapest mixed frozen bag are pleasant when steamed.

• Like 9

Fireworks tonight are probably Diwali celebrations. ....

....in my area, Diwali marks the start of fireworks season, continuing through Hallowe'en, Guy Fawkes, and then fairly regularly (and always at night) right through to New Year's Day.

#loadsamoney #goingupinsmoke

Edited by Horsetan

....in my area, Diwali marks the start of fireworks season, continuing through Hallowe'en, Guy Fawkes, and then fairly regularly (and always at night) right through to New Year's Day.

It's too wet for anything for any form of outdoor combustion here today.

Thankfully Halloween is not a fireworks holiday here. After the 4th of July I'm quite done with them for another year. The closest to fireworks in this part of the world at this time of year are the Jack O'Lanterns.  Due to their short life span we won't see the real ones (as opposed to the plastic and resin versions) until close to the end of the month.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Another day spent working on Max's train layout, the hill had another layer of papier-mâché added and I completed both sets of wing walls. He still has no idea that I'm making it for him. So he will get one heck of a surprise soon.

Goodnight all

• Like 15

Thankfully Halloween is not a fireworks holiday here. 

Big fireworks occasion north of the border - with many of the fireworks purchased in the States!

Big fireworks occasion north of the border - with many of the fireworks purchased in the States!

They would have to be. Much of the fireworks lit in Oregon are purchased in Washington. Any projectile firework is banned in Oregon - though the 'fountain' types are still legal. (The Eagle Creek fire that devastated the Columbia River Gorge last summer was started by a Washingtonian teenager playing with fireworks - lobbing them into the forested canyon.)

Is this celebration some kind of transference of Guy Fawkes / Bonfire night practices to Halloween?  (BC seems a lot more multicultural than to hold to the Guy Fawkes tradition and I can't imagine it being celebrated in Quebec.)

The extinction of Guy Fawkes traditions in the US (which had acquired the name "Pope Night" in colonial New England) essentially happened during the revolutionary period - largely I suspect because there was little interest in celebrating the preservation of Parliament. The Massachusetts Bay Colony theocracy weren't very keen on such public revelry anyway. (Christmas had been banned in Boston for much of the 17th century and it was not celebrated there through most of the 18th century either.)

George Washington actually forbade his troops to celebrate Pope Night, lest it offend potential Quebecois allies in 1775. I would note that the (failed) Continental invasion of Lower Canada, in two prongs under Generals Montgomery and Arnold, was taking place at that time. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Is this celebration some kind of transference of Guy Fawkes / Bonfire night practices to Halloween?  (BC seems a lot more multicultural than to hold to the Guy Fawkes tradition and I can't imagine it being celebrated in Quebec.)

Yes, Guy Fawkes and associated traditions are almost completely unknown in BC. In fact, anyone who knows about him/them is usually a British immigrant.

But people like their fireworks, so Halloween is an excuse. Other occasions where fireworks appear are Canada Day (July 1) and New Years. There's also a fireworks competition by national teams held each summer, using barges in English Bay in Vancouver - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_of_Light (somewhat out-of-date description from Wikipedia).

• Like 3

Good morning one and all

Today will see the fodder run, including material for sandwiches tomorrow.  I plan to visit a show by rail.  How many are on tomorrow?  Quite a lot, it seems.  Decisions, decisions.  Wherever I end up, it will entail an early start so there will be no drivel from me tomorrow morning.  Later this morning I will have to fetch a copy of the local rag.  It is baffling that one was delivered last week but not this.

Yesterday’s unspecified pottering led to the procrastinated tidying of the magazines.  They hide, you know.  Some make it to the insomnia pile, the latest Heritage Railway being an instance.  The article therein by my friend Geoff Silcock is worthy of being read in bed.  I note that JohnDMJ disputes my claim to be the untidiest man on the planet.  It’s not worth fighting over.

Continuing warm thoughts to all in distress and recovery.  Back Sunday.

Chris

• Like 17

Morning All,

It is an autumnal morning in these parts, but there is no fog.

Fireworks are not allowed here, without a permit.  The exception being new years eve - Fireworks also only go on sale on the 29th December, and so the amount of banging is restricted to a few nights near the end of the year.

I actually like fireworks, but people tend to get silly - particularly when alcohol is involved!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

Good morning one and all

I note that JohnDMJ disputes my claim to be the untidiest man on the planet.  It’s not worth fighting over.

Chris

True! Could be messy. :jester:

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Getting ready for a trip back to Leeds on virginontgeeasrcoast.

I then change the content of my bag to depart to monkey hanger land aka Hartlepool to drive trains on Grantham.

I hope to be able to add news from my travels.

Many thoughts for Debs and John, the rest of you just stay well.

Baz

• Like 18