The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I refer my honourable friends to my comments a couple of days ago about a certain type of person. I have in the past warned neighbours not to use them but they do, usually having their driveway "done". Well and truly done!  "They were very good, did it all ever so quickly & cheaply." *

Then they wonder why the car starts sinking after a few weeks or months.

*As a (former) supplier of building materials I can attest that they were cheap because half the time their materials never bloody cost them anything!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

AndyB I wish I could get the offspring to cook. He took courses for the basics in school but his idea of cooking is the Just Eat app on his phone. 

For what it's worth even well respected chefs can struggle to get their kids interested. 

The chap that taught me said he'd occasionally knock something up at home that he'd have on their 2* restaurant menu. 

Generally the reaction would be a grunted acknowledgement of calories on a plate. 

What I do with my lad is recognise that he'll have a finite attention span, so pick meals for him to cook where there's only about a half-dozen things to do, but make sure one or two of them is a challenge that takes his learning a bit further. Last week it was putting a tray in a scorching hot oven and learning how to use the gas hob. This week it'll be working with hot pans.  

• Like 18

For what it's worth even well respected chefs can struggle to get their kids interested. 

The chap that taught me said he'd occasionally knock something up at home that he'd have on their 2* restaurant menu. 

Generally the reaction would be a grunted acknowledgement of calories on a plate. 

What I do with my lad is recognise that he'll have a finite attention span, so pick meals for him to cook where there's only about a half-dozen things to do, but make sure one or two of them is a challenge that takes his learning a bit further. Last week it was putting a tray in a scorching hot oven and learning how to use the gas hob. This week it'll be working with hot pans.  

My offspring is one of the fussiest pain in the backside individuals to cook for. Nothing with onions but he loves onion rings. Hates most veggies apart from raw carrots, and the el-cheapo mixed frozen veggies. Hates just about anything in sauce. Hates potatoes unless they are crispy. I do a lot of BBQ and can't stand our kitchen to be honest so I end up doing far too much meat and not nearly enough veggies. With him away more and more though I'm getting back to a simpler more veggie based menu. It does make BBQ more difficult as its a waste to cook a 4kg brisket for 2 people. Sous Vide is fast becoming my friend for leftovers. 

• RMweb Gold

Matthew is quite good. He will eat most things, though he does object to what he calls overcooked English vegetables.

His own diet seems to include a lot of sauerkraut.

When travelling he likes to try the local speciality. In St John's it was cods tongues.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5

Matthew is quite good. He will eat most things, though he does object to what he calls overcooked English vegetables.

His own diet seems to include a lot of sauerkraut.

Good thing our prevailing winds don't come from Ireland then.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Leaf fall was never such a problem when trains had block brakes which scraped the wheel rims clear of leaf gunk every application. 

There was a temporary anti-slide measure a few years ago by splitting 156 and 158 units and making hybrid 156/158 pairs. The 156s have tread brakes and the 158s are disc fitted. It wasn't a total success.

They even tried experiments of putting scrubbing brushes on wheel treads.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

There was a temporary anti-slide measure a few years ago by splitting 156 and 158 units and making hybrid 156/158 pairs. The 156s have tread brakes and the 158s are disc fitted. It wasn't a total success.

They even tried experiments of putting scrubbing brushes on wheel treads.

Cheers,

Mick

Ian Walmsley in Modern Railways oftn has a go at infrastructure maintainers for not doing their job and expecting rolling stock engineers to solve the problem by putting yet more pieces of kit underneath their trains.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Leaves on the line... simples.. cut the bl€€dy trees back....

Fine time had at our reunion today..the tank world was put to rights..beer was drunk, food was eaten. I have a new task but more of that anon.

Mike I have a bit of background on the trip this week....will let you know on a pm as it's not for general info unfortunately

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Baz

• Like 10

I do a lot of BBQ and can't stand our kitchen to be honest so I end up doing far too much meat and not nearly enough veggies.

I'm not sure what BBQ means in this context. With the brisket reference, I'm thinking a smoker, but if you mean a grill, then are grilled vegetables or even fruit an option?

I still object to what I would call overcooked English vegetables. Steamed vegetables are a wonderful thing. Boiled not so much. Boiled cauliflower or broccoli can be really nasty.

• Like 7

The people that feature in ads for HSL chairs are beginning to worry me.

Not only have they bought a chair covered in a ludicrous fabric which has the capacity to fling them into the fireplace and crush the cat in its works, but they've spent so much on the chair that they can only afford one coffee table between them and no other furniture.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The people that feature in ads for HSL chairs are beginning to worry me.

Not only have they bought a chair covered in a ludicrous fabric which has the capacity to fling them into the fireplace and crush the cat in its works, but they've spent so much on the chair that they can only afford one coffee table between them and no other furniture.

I think it's the same wallies that do the Viking boat trips with the posturing. both ads crack me.  :rofl:  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I should really cook more than I do, but as I live on my own and especially before I retired my diet was a 'ping' diet. I'm gradually getting out of the habit now and I use a conventional oven and grill more than I used too. The micro still has its uses, if I suspect or find an item is not cooked through properly thirty seconds in the micro soon sorts it out. I also use it to steam vegetables, in a suitable container with a splash of water. I am using less pre-prepared food, mainly because it usually contains too much salt and sugar. One cooking device I find very useful is a dry fryer, you can not only cook chips but cook pies at the same time.

• Like 11