The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Err...no thanks

Now, quiz time....where have I been tonight

attachicon.gif20171018_201807_resized.jpg

Next clue...

attachicon.gif20171018_201815_resized.jpg

Final clue..

I may have been next door to one of Roundhouse's favourite pubs....

And what was a Deltic doing at Peterborough Today?

Baz

Yep know exactly where that is although havent been in our favourite pub for a few weeks now - not so keen on the refurbished place as it has fewer seating spaces inside plus is terrible acoustics when busy.

Cant help with the deltic though.

Will have to see if my boss is around tomorrow, if I can sneak to the Kings Arms. next week would be easy as hes away.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all.

No phonecall from the hospital today. so the presumption is nothing broken. The splint will stay on until the swelling on the back of my hand goes down.

Major milestone at work today with completion of the first circuit of track. A couple of temporary links and we were testing a new DC controller. Quite satisfying to watch the first train run.

There will be some Mk3 hacking shortly as my yellow HST takes shape.

Day off tomorrow, so a lie-in beckons.

Unfortunately,  no golf though. I may have to make more progress with the Mk3s.......

No ice hockey watched last weekend as I couldn't get to the away match at Deeside.(a good win for the Hawks though)  Plan is to make up for it this weekend with an away trip to Dumfries on Saturday and home game Sunday. 

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

Greetings all, an evening visit for a change. Mrs Lurker is out for dinner with former work colleagues and I am enjoying a glass of red!

Work is a subdued place. The poor financial results look likely to translate into redundancies, always harsh, added to which we are employee owned which makes the news harder to take. My boss assured us we are ok - I guess you always need tax people, even when you have got losses!

Continued thoughts to Debs and John. And to others in distress.

I am tempted to go and look at the Peco thread again or perhaps the one slagging off accountants, but then again, perhaps I will just enjoy the red

Coffee was had watching the impatient queue of toddlers being ushered very very slowly towards the sign proclaiming Platform 9¾ at Kings Cross station.

Muggles!

Though I'll admit to being a little bit envious.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

That's nothing. CP does a whole train!

The OHRF puts lights on and in the whole train. I'll grant you it's a bit slapdash but an effort gets made.

YouTube link (RMweb has had some performance issues of late.)

The steam heat is usually cranked up a bit too much though and with the usual precipitation outside the whole effect can be a bit stifling, but it's not a long ride.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The OHRF puts lights on and in the whole train. I'll grant you it's a bit slapdash but an effort gets made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UzAlseCX-o

The steam heat is usually cranked up a bit too much though and with the usual precipitation outside the whole effect can be a bit stifling, but it's not a long ride.

Do you have Santa Specials with mulled wine, mince pies for adults, and presents for the children on board? Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. As you may recall I have found a couple of slugs in the house in the last few weeks. Earlier this evening just as I was readying myself to go to the model railway club I espied what I thought was another slug lurking under the furniture. I grabbed a piece of kitchen towel to pick it up with but I needn't have bothered, it turned out to be an old elastic band.

• Like 1

Do you have Santa Specials with mulled wine, mince pies for adults, and presents for the children on board?

It's not as nice as many of what the UK preservation railways do and is a bit of a 'cattle car' operation. (They run as many as ten trains a day.) The ride is quite short (about 40 minutes total) which is not entirely a bad thing for small children. Santa does a 'ho ho ho' walk through but there are no presents or refreshments on board.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

It's been a very grey and dull day today, it's was also a lot colder first thing this morning when I went out to retrieve the bins.

Straight after breakfast I took a quick trip to the big DIY emporium as I get 10% on Wednesdays so I picked up a few bits and bobs. Strangely enough I had a good run there, every set of traffic lights on the way turned green as I got to them, that's about 6 sets in total!

Once back home, I spent the day continuing to work on Max's train layout. The hill above the tunnel has now had its first couple of covering layers of papier-mâché added. But before work commenced, I covered the track work that I put in yesterday, with a covering of cardboard to protect it from drops of glue etc. Whilst that was setting I continued the construction of the two tunnel portals, which are now almost complete, they only need the wing walls building.

Goodnight all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

No John - the one I was on got to Swansea and back in one piece with no interior shower feature but a few delays although I did have an opportunity to bludgeon buttonhole a man from DafT who 'heard what I had to say' (he couldn't really avoid me so he had to hear it all).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I think the situation here was that as an asthmatic I'd be entitled to a free flu jab. As the symptoms have not presented for around 4 weeks then the "free" bit is withdrawn. 

As you say, not entirely satisfactory. Asthma can come and go, especially if the cause is seasonal or has other triggers. I'd have thought that counting  4 weeks symptom free was a somewhat dodgy way of determining whether a patient gets a relatively inexpensive treatment.  

At present I'm going to work hard to get the BP down. Some causes are weight and dietary, and others down to stress. 

The first few readings won't be accurate for a number of reasons, e.g. lack of familiarity with the kit, the test, anxiety over the result etc.

Funnily enough of all the physiological monitoring kit I've used over the years this isn't one which I'm overly familiar, although I did have a combined SaO2 and BP monitor back in the day. 

Our surgery in Tilehurst automatically gave flu jabs to all asthma sufferers irrespective of how long it was since their last attack.  When we transferred here the snotty recetionist refused to list me for one because I was too young (under 60, just, let alone 65)  so I kicked up a major fuss and told her to consult the GP - who promptly agreed I should be on the list.

You can get flu jabs at Tesco pharmacies provided they have staff trained to do them and I think it's something like £10 which can be reclaimed (I think) if you'd get one free on the NHS.  Incidentally our Tesco pharmacy - and not just the pharmacists - will do BP checks, again if a trained person is available to do the job and one of the pharmacy counter staff did mine on Sunday at my request.  The principal pharmacist there says the BP monitors they sell are not worth what you pay for them and can be inaccurate.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Another dull day in the boring borough. Still waiting for my ransom note from ParcelFarce. Today is day 10 since it arrived at customs. According to the tracking, the customs charge was revised twice and the box finally shipped to Dartford last night. Wonder if it is just stuff originating in the US. A care package from MiL is usually door to door in 5 days from Canada. 

B*gger else happening so I'll just say have a good day everyone. 

Every time you check on it, it gets pulled out of the queue and placed at the back of the line.  Obviously.

Good morning one and all

There was heavy rain in Harpenden yesterday.  Some of it got into the conservatory of the Engineer and flooded the top of our normal table so the Area Group meeting was displaced to the lounge bar.  The first to order lunch was the last to be served.  Serves him right for having the pie of the day – there was only one, it seems.

Today will probably see some unspecified pottering, if only because there has not been any for a while.  I have some comics to read, and of course sort, but not, as yet, the new local paper.  There was a stack of them outside a house along the street at 4 pm yesterday.  I wonder whether or when it will be delivered?  In other news, the days of the caravan seemingly abandoned in the street are numbered.  A “notice of removal” has been posted giving 28 days for the owner to come forward.  Its departure date cannot come too soon as there are more than the typical number of skips deposited on the highway in connection with loft conversions and other home improvements and the reappearance of two parking spaces will make quite a difference.

Continuing warm thoughts to Debs and Passepartout and to all others in distress and recovery.

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps they should have given one to each of the passengers on the train hauled by the Flying Scotsman yesterday, when it failed with a hot box...

Then perhaps not they were upset enough already...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather damp and misty village. The boss is off to a Physio type appointment shortly and I've got to wait in for the washer man to come and attend to a leak. The ironing awaits so some suitable music that dulls the pain will be selected. After that I have a relatively free day so may well get some muddling done.

Thoughts still with debs and John.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18