The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Don't go near the Peco track thread...can't they wait till the points are here? Memo to Baz..take off Chartered Engineer head and put on retired head...

You smooth talking scoundrel....you've just talked me into it!

Like a moth to a flame!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I frequently go several months without symptoms but that is only because of the other meds I take, without them I would be in a bad way.

Is that symtoms of reading the peco thread or something more serious :jester:  yes I know something more serious...

I've just been over to the peco and read the first page and the last page did I miss anything?

• RMweb Gold

Is that symtoms of reading the peco thread or something more serious :jester: yes I know something more serious...

I've just been over to the peco and read the first page and the last page did I miss anything?

It started off about the plain track and at some stage morphed into frog theory. I suspect the next stage will be "How much...."

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

Is that symtoms of reading the peco thread or something more serious :jester:  yes I know something more serious...

I dipped into that thread some time ago-never again!

• Like 4

I took a brief look. Its almost as bad as the brexit crap on twitter. Standard modus operandi, read half of something, misunderstand it, get knickers in a twist, reply looking like a sh!t gibbon flinging his excrement. Life is too short for that. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been up early as SWMBO  :tender: had to buy the latest top from M & Co we had to go early as she didn't want to miss out, once in Alton off she wobbled down the High Street whilst I dived into Alton Models for some scenery bits

I finally found her still at the till with several bags (OH F###) how much has this cost me dear I asked, £99.99 I couldn't find anything else I fancied  :swoon: , we finally got back home after diverting to several garden centres to find some new sun beds there was none about 

they were too busy p!ssing about with Christmas stock, one dopey assistant  :crazy: said we don't sell them in the Winter I said that was fine as it is Autumn now so where are they, she gave it some thought then she started to mumble we left her to it, jaw agape  :scratchhead: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't really have fraught shopping experiences with Aditi. She does seem to value my honest opinions. Though she did send me off to look at televisions or light fittings (or anything in fact) when we were looking for curtain fabric.

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

AWOL and late on parade - sorry folks.

Have been lurking, and am up to speed on Debs and John both here and on FB, where I suspect that more than a few of us are also present.  Supportive thoughts are really on offer from this quarter.  And, of course the usual generic greetings to all.

Luckily I get my flu jab on two counts - chronic condition, and age, but to save money they only give me one injection.  I had the pneumonia one some years ago, and I believe that it is a one-off covering for life, so probably worth going for.

Managed to spend the princely sum of a tenner in an antiques centre locally on three books that I was looking for, and a Hornby Dublo signal box.  Not bad, I thought,

Also have just about managed to regain the lost brownie points from Saturday when I suddenly remembered that 87 029;s shop was nearby when we stopped in Carlisle for lunch, and then also remembered that Leander was due in Carlisle station "about now" and that I really just had to pop down there (well it was only a couple of hundred yards from Mike's establishment).  Of course it was 25 late, but I did have to wait once I was on the platform didn't I?

Back tomorrow???

Hopefully

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

, and then also remembered that Leander was due in Carlisle station "about now" and that I really just had to pop down there (well it was only a couple of hundred yards from Mike's establishment).  Of course it was 25 late, but I did have to wait once I was on the platform didn't I?

Back tomorrow???

Hopefully

Regards to All

Stewart

Is that loco still painted pink ?.  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

I had the pneumonia one some years ago, and I believe that it is a one-off covering for life, so probably worth going for.

Stewart

Mum had the pneumonia one in her mid sixties. When it was suggested many years later that she needed another one she commented that she thought one was for life. The nurse said for many people it was.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I have Just had a Diwali greeting from Aditi's Uncle. Nothing unusual in that but it was from Tawang. This appears to be on the (disputed) border between India and China. Uncle Vinay had travelled from San Francisco to Delhi to look after his older brother who needed surgery for his cancer condition. His brother went back to work 4 days after surgery so Vijay has gone hiking in the mountains. I think much of his skeleton is titanium now so he is doing quite well really.

Ttony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Been up early as SWMBO  :tender: had to buy the latest top from M & Co we had to go early as she didn't want to miss out, once in Alton off she wobbled down the High Street whilst I dived into Alton Models for some scenery bits

I finally found her still at the till with several bags (OH F###) how much has this cost me dear I asked, £99.99 I couldn't find anything else I fancied  :swoon: , we finally got back home after diverting to several garden centres to find some new sun beds there was none about 

they were too busy p!ssing about with Christmas stock, one dopey assistant  :crazy: said we don't sell them in the Winter I said that was fine as it is Autumn now so where are they, she gave it some thought then she started to mumble we left her to it, jaw agape  :scratchhead:

If I'd know you were in town and in the market for scenic items I could have let you have some "static grass" home-made off cuts* I dispensed in the barbers whilst you were pottering oop the other end of town having fun. 

* ideal for depicting snow scenes where the snow is a few days old and gone a grey colour....!

:jester:

Did she go in M&S? 

I was sent to M&S. To get some face cream jollop for swmbo. 

The price of that stuff and she wonders why I have high blood pressure.   :ireful:

Still waiting for my ransom note from ParcelFarce. Today is day 10 since it arrived at customs. According to the tracking, the customs charge was revised twice and the box finally shipped to Dartford last night. Wonder if it is just stuff originating in the US. A care package from MiL is usually door to door in 5 days from Canada.

Perhaps they are worried that you are secretly importing Bushmasters and bump stocks according to some nefarious plan?

We are still awaiting the promised deluge here, though it is damp and drizzly out. (I think coastal British Columbia and Washington have caught most of it so far.)

As others similarly reported I had my 'flu' shot yesterday too. I don't often have headaches but I did have a slight one at the end of the day. Maybe it was related? It passed without needing medication.

Without intending to be political, the daily dumpster* fire that is the news in this country is as depressing as usual today. 

* skip (but I really prefer the term 'dumpster fire')

The banality feels more emphasized now that the string of tragedies on a massive scale (hurricanes, mass shootings, wildfires**) is off the front page today. (And yes, I know there was a multiple shooting in Maryland. It's a bit early but this one appears to be workplace related - a much sadder outcome than mouthing off on the roof.)

**Given the nature of the 24 hour news cycle (and that it happened on a Saturday and in Africa), the Mogadishu truck bombing barely registered in US news outlets.

Sorry for the downer. I hope you all have a good day. I need to stop looking at the news and do some work.

We are still awaiting the promised deluge here, though it is damp and drizzly out. (I think coastal British Columbia and Washington have caught most of it so far.)

You are correct!

Very busy day and now I am knackered! Morning spent repairing felt roof on Summerhouse, then wood chopping, sawing and stacking. My brother and I completely failed to get the petrol chainsaw to start, so bought a cheap electric one in Llandudno B&Q. The rest of daylight hours were spent assembling said chainsaw, and then attacking a hedge which is three feet too high and two feet too deep, and overgrown with brambles. Fish and chips then bought from a chippy in Gyffin, a part of Conwy, and they were excellent. They were followed by apple crumble with our own apples, consumed in front of the wood burning stove. Heaven!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The day dried a little outside in time to wet the inside.  Coffee was had watching the impatient queue of toddlers being ushered very very slowly towards the sign proclaiming Platform 9¾ at Kings Cross station.  I forget what they charge now for a photo there but it strikes me as excessive.  I was only passing time between arriving and departing; not being a wizard I have no access to the aforesaid platform.

We both noticed how quiet it was last night in the apparent absence of student neighbours.  Beside and diagonally-up (the latter being the noisy ****ers) haven't been heard for days though have been home.  Upstairs - of the hippo dancing species - were conspicuously silent.  Turns out, as they returned home tonight, that they had become locked out owing to a faulty Yale lock and had spent the night elsewhere.  Tonight they were singing outside the door waiting for the locksmith to let them in.  I offered them an old £1 coin though they denied being Carol Singers.  I have been invited upstairs for a cuppa later on in return for various acts of random friendliness.  That's a nice touch.  They're not bad people, just a little foot-heavy and loud at times.  We all have our faults.

The dry-cleaner calls at 8am to collect coats, numerous, and will have them back to us by tea-time in return for some folding money.  Saves me quite a trek.  Otherwise tomorrow is unscheduled and may well include some 12":1' scale hobby time.

Sleep well when your turn comes.

• Like 2

The day dried a little outside in time to wet the inside.  Coffee was had watching the impatient queue of toddlers being ushered very very slowly towards the sign proclaiming Platform 9¾ at Kings Cross station.  I forget what they charge now for a photo there but it strikes me as excessive.  I was only passing time between arriving and departing; not being a wizard I have no access to the aforesaid platform.

We both noticed how quiet it was last night in the apparent absence of student neighbours.  Beside and diagonally-up (the latter being the noisy ****ers) haven't been heard for days though have been home.  Upstairs - of the hippo dancing species - were conspicuously silent.  Turns out, as they returned home tonight, that they had become locked out owing to a faulty Yale lock and had spent the night elsewhere.  Tonight they were singing outside the door waiting for the locksmith to let them in.  I offered them an old £1 coin though they denied being Carol Singers.  I have been invited upstairs for a cuppa later on in return for various acts of random friendliness.  That's a nice touch.  They're not bad people, just a little foot-heavy and loud at times.  We all have our faults.

The dry-cleaner calls at 8am to collect coats, numerous, and will have them back to us by tea-time in return for some folding money.  Saves me quite a trek.  Otherwise tomorrow is unscheduled and may well include some 12":1' scale hobby time.

Sleep well when your turn comes.

I regard these people as very clever indeed but with no "common sense". A couple of years ago I happened to be passing as the students next door were sitting on their garden wall and the sound of an alarm in their house could be heard. I asked if they had had a fire and was told "no,the alarm just went off". I asked what they had done about it and was told they had rung the landlord and he had promised to send someone as soon as possible. I said "Well you cannot sit out here for very long as it looks like it will rain soon. Would you like me to stop the alarm?" This I did and they commented as to should they stay in a house with no smoke alarm? "Well I have for going on 30 years without any problems, just be extra careful!"

The following afternoon as I passed by, one of the students was just leaving by the front door and he said to me, "The electrician has just left a few minutes ago after fitting new batteries to our alarm and all is well now, thank you." My reply was "Then it is a good job in didn't rain last night after all, as you lot were going to sit on that wall until the alarm was fixed!"

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Err...no thanks

Now, quiz time....where have I been tonight

post-7650-0-08739900-1508357659_thumb.jpg

Next clue...

post-7650-0-81775600-1508357733_thumb.jpg

Final clue..

I may have been next door to one of Roundhouse's favourite pubs....

And what was a Deltic doing at Peterborough Today?

Baz

• Like 14