The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight to most, morning to others....

I MUST remember my flu jab appointment with Sister Drac tomorrow .. otherwise she will send her helpers out to take some of my blood as a peace offering. :O

Baz

• Like 2

Good morning one and all

In a couple of hours or less I shall set out for the East of England showground wherein lies the Peterborough exhibition and its grandiose title.  I understand that other RMwebbers plan to attend but how many I will meet is a good question given my proven ability to hide in plain view.  On a trip such as this I used to relish the prospect of a Little Chef Olympic and the fare proffered by Starbucks and the like appeals not one little bit.

Yesterday I took the fodder run to Morrisons, lured by lots of coupons that they were kind enough to send me.  How I hate not being able to find things.  Why are the rice crispies not with the other cereals?  Oh, they are.  What about the dessert whips?  Lo, amid the canned fruit and with gaps in the range.  Checkout time is here with one till open and that for 10 items or less.  The cashier is gossipping for England and her interlocutor is quite oblivious of the queue that she is delaying.   Ah, petrol has not yet increased in price.  Fill 'er up.   Oh dear, the one man traffic jam that is today's cockwomble.  I don't want to be in your boot so stop more carefully!

Felicitations and best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather dark still but it's dry and cloud with brighter, even warm and sunny spells, are forecast for later.

. I've been going through my stash of bits and pieces and came across some steam locomotive whistles. I do recall that someone (GDB?) was looking for the same to replace some from the Hornby Peckett which are liable to damage.

'Twas not I Good Sir. My P3cker Peckett is still intact notwithstanding me taking it apart to fit a decoder. This is due to the timely warning given on here by, I believe, TonyS.

Didn't get around to muddling yesterday due to an attack of sloth but at least I have repaired my watch strap. Still waiting for the tool to fix another watch though. Also got to watch Wasps getting beaten by Ulster which from an English point of view was rather disappointing.  The Irish lads didn't think so though.

Up nice and early and obviously raring to go to Aldershot. Today I will be mainly trying to keep my wallet in my pocket as I have too much on order at the moment. TOO MUCH? Is this really possible? Call yourself a railway modeller?* Get a grip man.

* Actually no. Muddler or bodger is more accurate.

All being well and with some luck and a following wind I will be there to take coffee and food at about 9.30 

See at least 3 of you later,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I believe I may be the person whose Peckett whistle dropped off.

I was awake early this morning. Aditi made tea as she had woken up and assumed I would too.

The forecast for today is warm and eventually sunny. Aditi is planning do some gardening. I am not.

I hope all those going to exhibitions have an enjoyable day.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

surely a pint in the Duke of Ed first? Lancaster Black was my favourite in there...

But have you ever been in Preston Street Club..it is a revelation... not somewhere to go if you want real ale though....

Morning after getting badk to the hotel very early this morning!

Switched the tv on only to hear number 45 having a go at someone else and nearly switched the tv off.

We started with a few pints and food in the Furness Railway (Wetherspoons) then a quick half in the Robin Hood in centre of the town befor heading to the Duke of EdInburgh where we finished gone midnight. No Lancaster Black on unfortunately but they do have their red and Amber ales.

Luckily the rain had eased when we walked back to the hotel which is about 15 to 20 minutes away.

Had a good six hours sleep so should be fine for operating the layout today.

Hoping that the weather improves around here.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village. Not sure what the day will bring but hopefully I will spend an hour or so sorting out a fiddle yard wiring problem. Not a lot else to report.

I hope that those attending model railway related events enjoy themselves and that Chrisf finds somewhere to break his fast.

I paid a couple of visits to Barrow in Furness and survived.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Strange colour sky has greeted me this morning in the North West Leeds highlands. It's a muddy brown colour...rain due perhaps?

Off to the club later so a bit of wagon wheel cleaning to do this morning.

Barrow... I own a house there as I spent 4 years working at the yard. The people can be loud (if you worked in the steel erection shop you may be a little deaf). But they do try to be friendly.. just watch out if you get "pickyerwinder" though.

The Furness Railway can be an eye opener on a Saturday night.

Duke of Edinburgh is owned by Lancaster Brewery and is a nice hotel with good beer and food. I met the hairy bikers there one night.

Enjoy your day,

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I have been to Barrow-in-Furness

I survived.

I've not been to Barrow n Furness,

i too have survived,

and will do so providing I don't upset SWMBO.

Nothing to report Ben the Border Collie wants his morning stroll.?.

• Like 6

'TOO LATE'  !!!!!!!!

We went the 'bottom way' but decided to go to Workington on the way back, and found the road closures!  A VERY muddy route around via Santon pups as you said, then up past yours in a lot of traffic.  Actually stayed dry for our ride on the Ratty, Irt was in fine voice.  It appears to have bucketed down all day in Ambleside.  We have now dined at our favourite Thai restaurant and had a beer, so fruitful mellowness abounds.

Looks like a shop-a-thon again tomorrow, groan, and then home Sunday to see if we have an operable bathroom or not.  Hopefully the bare essential is plumbed in.....otherwise its a bucket.

Sadly for you, the A595 at Holmrook opened yesterday evening, so you were probably too early for it! It could have been worse, as the diversion for HGVs was an extra 115 miles, as there is simply no alternative A road locally.

The fun here continued yesterday, first with more rain water ingress through the roof, although I captured most of it in plastic tubs in the loft, then we had a 2 hour power cut in the afternoon. At least the roofer is due here this afternoon, so hopefully some progress will be made. At least it is dry here just now, though we do still have rain forecast this morning.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. An intermittently sunny one and quite warm.

Mother's visit is postponed. SWMBO went down with a clod late last night, spent the night snuffling and woke with the suggestion that it might not be a Good Idea to expose a frail and unwell 91-year old to a Snot Monster of Unknown Provenance. Currently there is no rescheduled date but I shall go down on Friday coming. Snot Monster permitting. I look forward to receiving it soon.

I shall not be availing myself of the newly-created opportunity to attend Aldershot either since I am now on Care and Comfort Duty.

Neighbours (upstairs) had a birthday party last night which they had the decency to tell us about first. There was a fair bit of noise until 10.30 when they all left as planned for some event or other at their student union. Neighbours only returned around 1.30am following which there was some hippo dancing and slurred conversation. They are very quiet this morning. I wonder why.

Wishing all a good weekend and special thoughts to those enduring the wrong kind of water.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I'll sort out a couple of those whistles for you Tony. I can drop them off next Saturday morning as I'm picking up a friend and his young son from Benfleet to take them to the Brentwood toy fair then on to the Chelmsford show. Last year the two events coincided as well and it took less than half an hour to get from one to the other. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I'll sort out a couple of those whistles for you Tony. I can drop them off next Saturday morning as I'm picking up a friend and his young son from Benfleet to take them to the Brentwood toy fair then on to the Chelmsford show. Last year the two events coincided as well and it took less than half an hour to get from one to the other. Thats it for now, be back later.

Thank you. That is very kind.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

I was unable to post yesterday as I was busy for most of the day and by the time I had enough time to switch on the iPad, it needed recharging!

Yesterday it had been raining for most of the day. I also forgot to mention on Thursday's post that I received my last payment from my former employer, as they owed me some holiday pay, a whole £2.45, which I think equates to just under 8 minutes pay!

Today the sun is shining so I'm going to go out and cut up all the old fencing, put it in the back of the car ready for a tip run on Monday morning!

I've been to Barrow in Furness several times through work and each time I've managed to get away unscathed.

Back later.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I have an unexpected journey today, off to Corringham to the on call vet. Robbie has been having pain relief medication for his arthritis and hydrotherapy for his spine. This has worked well and his rear leg coordination has improved. However this morning he is falling over and all 4 legs are uncoordinated. We did have a short walk and he was ok on the lead but fell over (like Bambi on the ice) in the garden. He isn't interested in food. Anyway a trip to the vets has been booked for midday. Hopefully he is just having a bad day.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Back from the vets.

Robbie has an additional medication now. He was a bit better by the time we had the appointment but still showing some symptoms. He was a bit less perky than usual but this meant he was quite amenable to the vet examining him. The vet at the other practice looked at his notes and noticed that our usual vet had suggested the medication if Robbie deteriorates. Today's vet seemed reassured that her course of treatment was the same as his regular vet. Side effects from this medication include drowsiness but he seems quite happy snoozing on a rug near the (unlit) fire. I had to sign a disclaimer as the medication isn't licensed for dogs. I spoke to Aditi's brother (GP in Kettering)and he said he uses a lot of that medication for his patients. I told Robbie his new tablets had been tested on humans but he wasn't bothered.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, and it's an overcast one here today.

A pleasant trip to the Aldershot show today and a catch up with GDB, 81C, and Mike (SM). 

The show itself had some delightful layouts, although it does seem to me that small cameo layouts, whilst demonstrating fantastic levels of skill, are easily obscured by one or two visitors keen to get up close to the detail. 

I was then on a mission to source food for swmbo's birthday party tomorrow. Easier said than done as some of the items are now clearly culinary footnotes - breaded camembert, breaded mushrooms.....? 

Of out later to the Holycombe steam collection night-time opening. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I was then on a mission to source food for swmbo's birthday party tomorrow. Easier said than done as some of the items are now clearly culinary footnotes - breaded camembert, breaded mushrooms.....? 

Both seem to be on the menu starter section of pubs we have eaten in over the past few years in this part of the world.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to met you again Andy, Bob and I again blamed each other for the overspend several traders were pleased to see us and help with the cash removals from our pockets I can home without single penny,

other we met were SM Mike who was beaming from ear to ear as had just got is hands on the new L/E kernow saddle tank also Station Cat who was with Dad looked well even tho' she has been through

the wars it's always nice to see her happy smile and I finally I made my mind up to maybe join the Farnham club it will be one evening peace away from SWMBO.

• Like 13

Nice to met you again Andy, Bob and I again blamed each other for the overspend several traders were pleased to see us and help with the cash removals from our pockets I can home without single penny,

other we met were SM Mike who was beaming from ear to ear as had just got is hands on the new L/E kernow saddle tank also Station Cat who was with Dad looked well even tho' she has been through

the wars it's always nice to see her happy smile and I finally I made my mind up to maybe join the Farnham club it will be one evening peace away from SWMBO.

You didn't go near "Hospital Gates" did you? It's part of the group I'm with. Sunday would be a better day for anyone to see it as ChrisH will be coming up from Eastleigh to act as an interpreter. :no:  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Flu jab...done.

Breakfast and lunch eaten...

Locos tested on Chapel en le frith...two to be fixed...not bad with 8 tested.

Not looking at the football scores as it looks like Ellis Short is draining money from Sunderland.. more players available on the cheap!

C u later

Baz

• Like 13