The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Still ensconced in the People's Republic of West Yawkshire, having safely negotiated IKEA and lived to tell the tale.  A few items for the bathroom rebuild (that is going badly in our absence - plumbers on the sick) is all it took to get out.  We then, well, I then visited the shop at Haworth station on the KWVR and came away considerably lighter in the wallet department so then had to take the boss to Hebden Bridge to look at anti-queue shops and expensive coffee shops.  I survived.

• Like 9

Pete mentioned Dagenham. The nearby resort of Grays Thurrock was the place (in Tudor times I think) where ships leaving/entering London were allowed to flush their bilges.

Does it still have that fine old Cinema building? My band supported “Hot Chocolate” there when I was about 19......

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Further to the mention of a possible deficit earlier I have suddenly become wealthier!    :yes:

Bearing in mind that old pound note coins will cease to be legal tender on Sunday and following advice given by the media I have searched down the back of our settee and armchairs. I've found a total of £2-11p, a hair grip, several stale peanuts, a very sticky toffee and something else that was even stickier and smelt fruity. :scratchhead:

Get searching lads (and laddesses) - you never know what you may discover!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

Further to the mention of a possible deficit earlier I have suddenly become wealthier!    :yes:

Bearing in mind that old pound note coins will cease to be legal tender on Sunday and following advice given by the media I have searched down the back of our settee and armchairs. I've found a total of £2-11p, a hair grip, several stale peanuts, a very sticky toffee and something else that was even stickier and smelt fruity. :scratchhead:

Get searching lads (and laddesses) - you never know what you may discover!

By-the-by, so I should use any pound coins as wagon weights now?? Not sure my bank will change a few of them for real money :O

Item I "FORGOT" to mention earlier today;

Managed to NOT pack pajamas - had wondered what I'd missed as something was telling me I'd forgotten something <sigh> off to shops after work...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd ask what the hell that means, but I'm worried that the answer might put me off my tea...

Edit: better syntax.

It was a saying on life with the Kumars on television with the Indian comedians.

• Like 1

Item I "FORGOT" to mention earlier today;

Managed to NOT pack pajamas - had wondered what I'd missed as something was telling me I'd forgotten something <sigh> off to shops after work...

Better than forgetting to pack trousers.

Or undies, socks, belt (or any other thing you would wear in a professional setting). It feels like that at some point I've forgotten them all.

Even two weeks ago I arrived at the office (I was to leave for my flight after lunch) and fortunately remembered that I had not packed trousers for the next day.

• RMweb Gold

Does it still have that fine old Cinema building? My band supported “Hot Chocolate” there when I was about 19......

Best, Pete.

I don't know. The last time I wandered around the centre of Grays would have been around the spring of 1977. Aditi and I were looking for somewhere to live and the Grays Building Society were offering 100% mortgages on selected local properties. Aditi said she really didn't want to live there so it didn't require a return visit. I have been through on the train when diversions were required if the route via Basildon wasn't available.

Was it this one?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Cinema

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

The empathy fatigue is starting to get to me. After three hurricanes (four actually, but it's almost as though Nate never happened) and now yesterday's fires in California I'm starting to reel.

Seeing more pictures of burned out places I vividly remember is deeply unsettling. The cumulative damage with all the (separate) fires in California is starting to be comparable in magnitude to the hurricane damage but the damage patterns are strange. Usually wildfires affect wilderness areas or, at worst, housing developments set very close to forest or scrub land and the Anaheim hills fire in Southern California is like that, but the Santa Rosa (Tubbs) fire occurred in a heavily developed area - whole neighbourhoods were destroyed, including hotels, restaurants, historical structures, and even a big box store. A local hospital was threatened and the regional airport is quite close by.

This is not a 'worst ever' fire by California standards, but from an order of magnitude standpoint on 'metrics' (like structures destroyed) it is up there. 

Better than forgetting to pack trousers.

Or undies, socks, belt (or any other thing you would wear in a professional setting). It feels like that at some point I've forgotten them all.

Even two weeks ago I arrived at the office (I was to leave for my flight after lunch) and fortunately remembered that I had not packed trousers for the next day.

I managed THAT (no trousers) a few years ago!

Fortunately there was a 24-hour Walmart-lookalike (Meijers in Michigan) at my destination, Grand Rapids, and I was able to get something vaguely acceptable for the business requirements the following AM. :O

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

...and I was able to get something vaguely acceptable for the business requirements the following AM. :O

We still get requests from Matthew asking for advice about appropriate trouser ( and other clothing) styles!

The last one was in Newfoundland. He had packed enough stuff for going to the conference but he noticed that the registration session also stated reception too. The last reception he had attended was at the US ambassadors residence in Dublin and he had decided for himself that meant "tidy".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Today has been another lovely day but once again I've been working on Max's train layout. I've cut 2 pieces of 3mm plywood which will form 2 sides of the hill/tunnel. They have also been fixed to the board ready for the covering layer to go over later. The original plan didn't have a tunnel, but having a little chat with Max last week revealed that he liked to see trains going in and coming out of tunnels, so after a couple of tweaks to the plan I've been able to add one for him.

Goodnight all.

• Like 17

Evening all. I hope today finds you well. There is now a week and a half until the end of the first half term in the new place and the end of term bug is starting to take effect. I finished today with no voice. I have to admit that the afternoon was nowhere near my best. Tomorrow we have a visiting advisor in - now where have I heard that before??

This morning I had the first appraisal meeting with my new boss. The good news is that they are going to pay me at the same upper scale as my previous place. There is a cost however - a whole heap of additional responsibilities. It looks like I am going to land many of the similar hats as last year. Is that good? Or could that be a curse? Time will tell.

Sleep well all

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Some drizzle and very mild, warm even at 15oC. A breezy day with the chance of showers and some sunny spells is forecast.

We spent a very pleasant couple of hours with the kids after school yesterday and the big news is that Joe is now taller than me!. However he is nowhere near as wide, in fact he's so skinny that when looked at sideways with his shoes on he looks like a golf club! What is even more frightening that Gemma is also growing very quickly. Makes me feel very old.

No domestic tasks for me today (hopefully) so a visit to Wickes is planned to look for some electrical trunking to make up a couple of cassette type thingys for the layout.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16