The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Late on parade again this Christmas Eve, as I had to take Mrs 45156 to town this morning, and the car has been sitting in deep freeze for two very cold nights, and the de-ice job took a whole bottle of stuff, and a good twenty minutes. While in town, I decided to pop into the office to deliver my final sicknote/fit note, and managed to get stuck there for a couple of hours as the management wanted to resolve my phased return to work hours before Christmas as the person who does this is not going to be there when I restart on the 4th. I start back on 3 hours a day, ramping up to full time over a six week period, which should help me immensely with getting back a working routine.

Now then, the forecast this morning said we're due some snow on Monday, but when I got back it's turned to we're due rain, and the predicted temperature for early next week is in POSITIVE figures - wow!

Gordon - hope that the injection has had a degree of success, and that you have a pain free Christmas - and that the prospects for getting to work on the layout is not too long delayed. I know how painful a bad back can be, as I have had disc problems in the past.

Best wishes to all for a happy Christmas, and hopefully for a lot of nice train sized boxes in your stockings tomorrow morning.

Seasonal regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

The temperature has dropped again here - looks like we might be set for a White Christmas.

We certainly are up here! Windy and snowing outside...and the fire brigade has got work to do as well, unfortunately. I certainly feel for whoever had the bad luck of having had to call them :( .

I'm still full from dinner, in spite of some Cointreau as a digestif :blink: .

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Just got back from early morning mass.

It's going to be hot - 27C with a 30kph South East wind blowing.

Enjoy your full English Christma dinner, those of you who are going to have it.

I hope that the Sprouts are properly done.

Morning All,

Well - it's the first White Christmas that I can remember since I was a kid.

We had several centimeters of snow yesterday afternoon and evening - and some more overnight.

I have just come inside from shoveling snow and putting salt down on the pavement!

Have a great day everyone - enjoy the turkey/ goose/ duck/ Roast beef, whatever and spare a thought for those in the cold.

A very Happy Christmas to one and all. Been up and pottering since 4am. As expected it will be a dry Christmas for me, but it will be a happy one with the family here for lunch.

I'll raise a cup of tea to all the ER's that have kept me chuckling all year....:D

• RMweb Gold

Happy Christmas everyone! I saw the day in trying to get a rural water supply works going - van outside temp gauge said it was -10deg C. Felt like it too!

Hope everyone has a pain and worry free day with loved ones.

BTW 'A Cornucopia of Drivel' sounds like a good name for the coalition government - just my opinion of course.

• RMweb Premium

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL!

Been awake since about 6 but didn't venture downstairs until 7ish. Made us a cuppa and went straight back under the duvet.

Outside it's dismal - frozen slush and ice everywhere, we haven't had any fresh snow for about a week and what's left sure ain't pretty!

My traditional Christmas Day running session in the garage is scheduled for about 11am - there's an S&D 2-8-0 on shed waiting to haul its first train (well actually it's still in its box right now, we haven't opened our presents yet.

Went to carols at the local church yesterday evening - for me one of the best parts of Christmas.

Best wishes for a happy Christmas and a peaceful and healthy New Year.

Guest Max Stafford

Happy Christmas folks! River Eden frozen over, snow flurries over Carlisle. Quietly pleased about Hornby's list this year as there's plenty on there to suit my tastes! :)

Got a ten hour shift this afternoon, but as the railway is all closed up until Monday, I don't envisage it being a rigorous one! As the club-room is on the station, Blue Peter might get a cheeky test run...! ;)

Have a good day, everybody!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Well I haven't signed in to ERs for quite a while now and will be away for my first trip abroad on the 29th!

So, on this crisp and white morning have a great Christmas and thank you all for the banter and support over the year.

Very glad to see Don around again, too biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas to you all!

(but please make those Christmas songs stop!) laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas all.

I've just escaped from the kitchen (been sent out to choose wine!) for a while. Everything culinary related seems to be progressing well. Family visitors haven't arrived yet but Robbie has been walked so he shouldn't be too manic when everyone arrives.

Tony

Happy Christmas folks! River Eden frozen over, snow flurries over Carlisle. Quietly pleased about Hornby's list this year as there's plenty on there to suit my tastes! :)

Got a ten hour shift this afternoon, but as the railway is all closed up until Monday, I don't envisage it being a rigorous one! As the club-room is on the station, Blue Peter might get a cheeky test run...! ;)

Have a good day, everybody!

Dave.

Same to you squire ;)

Go careful out there young man, ten hours on Christmas Day is a bit of a wounder but hope you enjoy your little running session. Hark, I hear a whistle.... is that an A3 heading your way off the Waverley with some late Christmas mail from over the border....?

Merry Christmas all, having stayed up to peruse the Hornby 2011 thread around midnight I had a nice lie in this morning before the usual rummage under the Christmas tree. No falling snow here but plenty left from last week and the sun is casting a nice yellowy glow on next doors palm tree. My other half has been down to the greenhouse to feed the cats that have moved in, the four of them are all huddled together keeping each other nice and warm. Thankfully they've all been, ahem, 'done' at the vets so we won't have a population increase on our hands.

Rather chuffed with what Santa brought this year, a nice collection of Ealing comedies on dvd and a nice surprise in the shape of Martin Creese's new book on the North Warwickshire line. Scanning through it quickly I noticed me and the missus are in one of the photos at Henley-in-Arden!

Chin chin ;)

Nidge

• RMweb Premium

Happy Christmas to All

Still very cold here in Lancashire, but have just completed the family ring round, and was told by my brother in Ayrshire that the temperature there has risen from -6 to plus 4 since he got up this morning - the poor wotsit rose early to sort out a couple of toys for his grandsons, and the box of both items said "some self assembly required" - the scooter took an hour, and the tractor took a further three, and he is an experienced engineer - I wonder how Mr or Ms Average would fare opening that on Christmas morning with a kiddy clamouring to play with what Father Christmas brought!

Dinner's all prepared now, with starter and stuffing a la 45156 and the rest a joint effort with Mrs 45156. Wood burner was lit by 09.00 and is now pumping out warmth and cosy cheer until bedtime.

Is there anything on telly today before Murder On The Orient Express - and can we watch it without picking huge holes in the railway scenes - I saw a trailer the other day and I think I picked up what looked suspiciously like the back of a BR1 tender sticking out of a snowdrift which might mean a foreignised Standard 5! I didn't bother with checking the Hornby thread last night, it was too cold, and the duvet too welcoming. But now I'll get on and read the froth.

Again, have a very happy Christmas RM Webbers, from 45156 and Mrs 45156. I don't yet know whether it's a dry one for me, as I am still deciding whether to have pain killers or alcohol - I think probably the latter.

Seasonal Regards To All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

So, that's us in Leipzig, then :) . Given the weather, the ride was mostly trouble-free, in spite of us having had an extra call at Hanau, some points at Großkorbetha having had to be cleared of snow, and finally us having had to pick up scores of passengers from a stranded westbound ICE at Markranstädt. Even so, our arrival was delayed by just about 20 minutes, so I cannot complain, really.

The snow outside is just as heavy as it is at home - will try and snap a few photos later on.

Your turn to "gloat" tomorrow or Monday. We're expecting up to 12" of snow (allowing for hype from the forecasters maybe 9") from a storm system. Snow should start just after 1:00pm Sunday thru to 5:00am Monday togethr with winds up to 40 mph. May be some delays if you know of anyone flying to or from NYC

I shall be getting my snow blower ready!

Hey, my Wife bought me a SD60M BNSF (in BN colours) complete with Tsunami SS!

Best, Pete.