The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It was sunny here and warmed up after lunch so well within the safe to apply temperature on the can of preservative stain varnish stuff I found in the garage. The back door to the garage looks quite smart now. I think another coat should keep it going for a few years.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I'm back from the first stage of setting up our MRC show, SWMBO has already gone out to her art group so I treated my self and collected a Chinese meal on the way home.

Two parcels were waiting but nothing to do with railways. There is also a sorry you aren't in card which is annoying because SWMBO was in. I'll have to collect the parcel Monday.

I've had a good look at the secondhand stall at our show, money will be passing over tomorrow, having just looked up the accuracy of the models on the GWR.org website..

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

The Q - yes, so frustrating.

It is funny how you wait in on more than one day and then find one such card through your door when you were in waiting the day after they were due to be delivered.  The problem is compounded when you have to go and fetch the items.  One such occasion a few years ago concerned some FA books for a course that I was delivering - you've guessed it a card was put through my door.  I telephoned the number to find that 'the earliest they could deliver was Monday' - the course was on Saturday so I had to fetch them from ... an 80 mile round trip.  Obviously I complained and did get my delivery cost refunded but it was a hassle to set off early, pick them up and go straight onto the class.  Fortunately that went well.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Well today has been another busy day, my first task was to go to the butchers to collect our weekly meat rations. I then went to the Trafford Centre to collect a few bits and pieces, but altogether I was only out 60 minutes. Then after a cup of tea I had a bit of a tidy up in the cellar putting one or two items away that I no longer needed and I also registered the new tools that I've recently bought, so that I can get an extended warranty on them all.

This afternoon we both managed to relaxe a little before our grandchildren, Ava, Evie and Max arrived for tea. I completed a couple of sudoku puzzles, whilst Sheila read her kindle. This week, as it's back to the usual Friday evening chimps tea party, so we also had James and Amelia round too. At around 6:30, Vickie and Ian dropped by to collect Ava and Max, as Evie is sleeping over tonight. So by that time we had got ourselves a full house, we only needed 3 more for the full set! Still it's nice to see so much of them at the moment, as when Ian's working we used to see a lot less of them all.

Once Evie had had her bath and tucked up asleep in bed, we sat and opened a bottle of red, which went down very nicely indeed.

BoD. Happy birthday

Goodnight all

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

G'night all.

Laddo's hydraulic adventures in Belgium were last updated 7 hours ago from Bier Central in Antwerp by another member of their little group.

post-6859-0-19297400-1507332638.jpg

Here's another picture, 11 hours back, from their earlier beer and food stop at Restobiere

post-6859-0-51106000-1507332688.jpg

It would seem the tour is thus far on target as I know Antwerp was on the itinerary but no idea beyond that.

• Like 10

Here is my usual holiday train study.

post-7041-0-81215200-1507348249_thumb.jpg

As I was in mainland Europe it was impossible to attempt a more comprehensive survey.

Although ...

The Renfe 1 coastal railway to/from Barcelona is always impressive.

Runs to time, is frequent and of an acceptable level of cleanliness.

Economic to use, too.

• Like 10

Good morning one and all and belated happy birthday to BoD

I took the vegetable peelings out to the compost bin yesterday before heading off to the beer festival.  In the couple of weeks since I had last set foot in the garden the strawberry bed has been engulfed with vegetation: everything except strawberries.  There is nothing for it but to dig up the whole flipping lot and buy new strawberry plants in the spring.  The exercise will do me good, I suppose, but the sheer volume of the task makes it rather daunting.  Something tells me that an immediate start is not expected.

I also need to report an odd occurrence.  I woke during the night, as is so often the case.  Although the clock bit of the bedside clock radio displayed 4.15 am, when I turned on the radio the presenter announced that the time was 3.35.  I am used to the digi box resetting itself but a clock?  How?

Best wishes and felicitations to all in distress and recovery. 

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a dark village.   First of all felicitations to Station Cat and her mother.  I hope that they both recover quickly.

Yesterday the car passed it's MOT, the only down side was that a new tyre had acquired a cut in it's sidewall and had to be replaced however hopefully the old car will be able to perform it's duties till after our move to France. 

A good evening was had at the club and a good nights sleep. I'm the only one around at the moment, even Gavin hasn't come and asked for breakfast to be served.   This morning it's our monthly men's breakfast at church and then I've to help Beth run the monthly afternoon tea shop before a meal out with the outlaws.  Not a lot of time for muddling but not a bad day in prospect.

Regards to all.

Jamie

G'night all.

Laddo's hydraulic adventures in Belgium were last updated 7 hours ago from Bier Central in Antwerp by another member of their little group.

Untitled beer 3.jpg

Here's another picture, 11 hours back, from their earlier beer and food stop at Restobiere

Untitledbeer 2.jpg

Now that is what I call a proper night out.

It would seem the tour is thus far on target as I know Antwerp was on the itinerary but no idea beyond that.

After all that beer, I don't think they have any idea either :jester:

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Mugatea provided by her indoors. Luxury!

Busy couple of days. I have to go to the club to do some layout repairs/tuning before our show at the end of the month. Her indoors is off to play early music at a concert at a church in Ilkley tonight (gemshorns, crumhorns and a Renaissance recorder)

Tomorrow I will be helping with "my" layout which forms part of the demo area at Warley. It should cause some discussion....

Have a great 24 hours on Planet Earth!

Baz

PS hope your good lady and your Dr daughter are swiftly returning to good health Mike.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin‘ awl. Just en route for a bit of joyous autumnal driving. Sand use must be peaking out these days, I suppose!

Not much to report aside from that. Not that I’m complaining!

Later...

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Flu jabs for both of us today

That's about all the excitement we can stand :)

I have just returned. The surgery have done everything to make the process quick and efficient. I had read the instructions provided in the letter from the surgery and didn't have to queue. Many had not and preferred to argue rather than join the queue for those without their letter. I thought English people liked a queue. Also why do some people knowing they will have to roll up a sleeve wear clothing that cant be rolled up?
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

At least if PhilJW goes to the small exhibition in Benfleet today he will be able to get there without driving past the doctors surgery. The driving and parking near there today was "interesting"

• Like 9

Is that finescale G gauge or PG.

Jamie

Comparing it to the West Indian gentleman who was pushing it 1:1

This pic. shows an unusual use for old rails.

Sleepers made from cut up rails and concrete blocks at each end.

post-7041-0-49521600-1507370328_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit dull and dismal here with the odd spot of rain. There may be more later.

Rather hectic here at the moment as Nicki, Joe & Gemma have arrived for the day as they are having new carpets and flooring fitted which will take most of the day. The good thing is that that meant cooked breakfasts were on offer.  :imsohappy:

Yesterday's parcels arrived when they should have but one has had to be returned today. (Non functioning new small kitchen appliance. I thought they were supposed to check the bloody things worked before they sent them out. How stupid am I?) I shan't be bothering with a replacement of that particular brand.

I went for my flu jab earlier. Our surgery are doing walk-in clinics on Saturday mornings this month. Got there at 8.50 in queue behind 20 others. Door opened at 9.00 sharp and two receptionists logging details onto computer and asking people to remove coats to speed things up. Needless to say many plonkers waited until they were called by the nurses and then started dithering and fumbling. Everyone dealt with in turn and I was done & dusted by 9.22 which I reckon was very good and efficient.  :yes:  

Next task is to try and re-connect my laptop with my printer. Had this problem when I first got W10 and it was a pain to fix. All of a sudden they seem to have fallen out with each other again. Luckily my desktop upstairs works perfectly well with it as they are wired.

Time for a cup of tea,

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The Good Doctor (aka Station Cat) continues to improve in cheeriness and had a full night's sleep (a distinct improvement on the previous night) and thanks all concerned for their felicitations and positive thoughts.  Mrs Stationmaster seems to have returned to normal - in fact she was probably back to that level yesterday as I was asked instructed to do the vacuum cleaning of the ground floor, her fish & chips were consumed with aplomb yesterday evening and have not made a return visit.

We had our flu jabs a few weeks back - quite well organised but as elsewhere the dumbos of this world sat in the waiting area seemingly dressed ready for a trip to the Arctic Circle.  The only upset to the system was that if husband and wife went in together and they happened to be on different jabbers' lists a potential c*ck up situation occurred but there was probably more down the ineptitude of the surgery than the logical approach of the patients (we were ok as we were on the same nurse's list),  Unlike our past surgery in Tilehurst the Practice Manager was not on hand to take orders for tea and to dispense biscuits - and this is allegedly a 'rich' town :O

Talking of the town the media has announced that Mary Berry is moving here.  Apparently she has calculated that she will be living a mere 8 minutes walk from Waitrose which confuses me immensely as there are no houses anything like the one she is supposed to be moving to anywhere within 500 yards of Waitrose so she must be an extremely fast walker for whom the traffic will stop whenever she wishes to cross the road - sounds like typical media rubbish to me; we shall see (or not see if she can't park and has to follow us to the Tilehurst branch).

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The new book on Plymouths hidden railways arrived only half an hour ago so I will be reading it this afternoon. ChrisF, the same thing happens to my self setting clocks from time to time, I think it must be a stray signal or electrical interference of some sort. They are adjusted by means of a radio signal from Rugby and they must use several frequencies as when they last set the time forward one of my clocks changed time a couple of hours before another clock.

At least if PhilJW goes to the small exhibition in Benfleet today he will be able to get there without driving past the doctors surgery. The driving and parking near there today was "interesting"

I have decided not to attend, I have a new and very interesting book to read.

• Like 15