The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday BoD.

A good evening out with Andrew C and co last night. Only thing that made us change bars is why do bars have to play music so loud that everyone has to shou5 and then make it unpleasant to hear it hose you are with so despite the excellent beers in the Euston Tap we moved to an equally good traditional pub the Bree Louise which is closing in a November (told by the landlord a few months ago) for HS2 redevelopment.

Journey home spoilt the evening as we got to Victoria with enough time to grab a takeaway then the train went late and then cancelled last minute. If we had known I more time we might have had a chance to catch an earlier train to East Croydon although they only advertised the platform a minute before its departure which was from a different set of platforms so no wonder that left fairly empty.

This week hasn't been good on the Brighton mainline mainly due to signal failures and a few train faults.

This weekend we are at the Croydon show at Warlingham Secondary school so a nice and local show for us. Loading the car tonight and if POETs is achieved that will be in daylight.

• Like 2

Had my letter from Newcastle and sent them their parcel back..follow up letter was good. Jamie, just ask any good Sunderland supporter why the specimen goes to Newcastle....

But, to the Mackems, wouldn't that simply be stools to Newcastle?

• RMweb Gold

As usual after a while and a bit of walking about my back eased a bit so I changed my mind and ventured out into the wildnerness garden. Ladders and loppers were deployed with no mishaps and the over large "shrub" is now not so large and the compost bin is almost full. There is a lot more to do but as my back is not protesting at the moment I thought I'd call it a day for now. At least it got me out assisting with housework.  :imsohappy:

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

In Beccles, the yachtmaster in charge of the yacht station has just taken a phone call saying the flood risk is over.

In Beccles,  the yachtmaster in charge of the yacht station is busy trying to stop a hire boat floating over the top of the quay......post-15969-0-49313700-1507295128.jpg

Picture and information from SueH on NBN norfolk Broads network..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

In Beccles, the yachtmaster in charge of the yacht station has just taken a phone call saying the flood risk is over.

In Beccles, the yachtmaster in charge of the yacht station is busy trying to stop a hire boat floating over the top of the quay........

In Beccles, no one can hear you scream...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Happy birthday Bod, and many more of them.

Well after a misleading message from laddo we duly arrive at the hospital we arrived to collect the Good Doctor 'at 5 o'clock' only to find, on my estimation alone, taht if she would be fit to travel by 18.30 a remarkable uplift in her look and post-operative condition would have occurred.  So her mother duly sat in the Good Doctor's 'pod' in the only comfy chair while I retreated downstairs to main atrium/waiting area and  far more comfy chair where i could either watch the comings and goings or snooze peacefully (probably).  Post-operative recovery to full fitness to travel took until 19.30 which had the beneficial side effect of our avoiding a gridlocked Reading occasioned by earlier closure of the M4.  the Good Doctor appeared in fair condition to travel but Mrs Stationmaster was, in her own words, somewhat emotionally wrung out and both of them were carrying those handy little fibre bowls they issue in hospitals to those about to chuck up (assuming they catch them in time).

A smooth journey home resulted only in Mrs Stationmaster having to use her bowl - much to the amusement of the Good Doctor, while I suggested that 'the wonderful Italian lunch' we had enjoyed earlier in the day in Pangbourne might be contributing to Mrs Stationmaster's woes and did she still think it would be a nice place to go for dinner sometime?  Anyway all was otherwise well and the Good Doctor was duly placed in her bed and is today back to her normal colour instead of a rather peculiar pasty white shade she had yesterday evening.   At some stage - when the dressing is changed - we shall no doubt find out if Harry the surgeon made two keyholes or one as he was working on two separate parts of the shoulder, apparently he expressed full satisfaction with his handiwork so we can but assume he did what he thought was needed to sort the problem (which might date back to a rugby injury).

So all is roughly back to normal - laddo is 'somewhere in Belgium'  and according to a post on Farcebook this is where he was 2 hours ago

post-6859-0-62088900-1507296634.jpg

Enjoy teh rest of your day one and all

• Like 1

Happy birthday BoD

POETS <sigh>

Very quiet on all fronts here, just plodding along, which is fine by me!

At the risk of queering the pitch (can you SAY that any more?!?!?), we've not much planned for the weekend, so I'm sure I can look forward to any chance of modeling being pre-empted by something/anything as usual :O

9 strolling to the street to retrieve the newspaper :butcher:  :rtfm: , harsh words apparently having NO effect on a more appropriate delivery, expecting 17 and rain later then for most of the day.

Join me as we all try to POE, and start a relaxing weekend (fat chance?!?!)

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

The Canvey Bus Museum looks interesting, although their website seems to be somewhat broken at present. 

However, other search results showed a youtube video which was quite nostalgic. Those cream-coloured open top dobule deckers take me back! As do the Eastern National double deckers. 

I wasn't aware of the "No speakee English" wheeze encountered by AndrewC, but I used to see any amount of non-English speakers using the 1st class seating on my journeys from East Croydon up to Clapham. I always thought the fact that the rest of the carriage was packed like sardines was enough of a clue that those seats were somehow "different". 

Meanwhile on the modelling front I'm venturing into the scratch building zone; I may be sometime. 

Pizza tonight, so there's more cardboard available! Not a particular criticism of the dough, but a side-benefit of the packaging. ;) 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Update on the Good Doctor - not one keyhole, in fact not even two keyholes  - but three keyholes so it looks as if Harry the surgeon was having a good day.   The young lady is still a bit tired and dosing on pain killers but otherwise seems to be recovering well, a certificate for 4 weeks delivered to her work place earlier today is helping her peace of mind!

Mrs Stationmaster now fully recovered and hopefully today's planned chip shop cod will not repeat the efforts of yesterday's Italian restaurant prawns.  No further updates have been received from Belgian hostelries.

PS tip for Bod - remember that the thing will move about when running so firing needs careful aim and timing (and watch the water level), have a good day.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

.... those handy little fibre bowls they issue in hospitals to those about to chuck up (assuming they catch them in time).

In the US I see a different accoutrement, labeled an emesis bag - which seems to invariably be a blue plastic annulus (suitably sized to cover mouth and nose) framing the opening of a scrunchy, folded plastic bag that deploys rapidly with the relevant ejecta. The bag is helpfully graduated with volume measurements and can be easily tied off to contain smells and spillage.

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure if I will be able to go to the small exhibition in Benfleet tomorrow. First call will be to get my flu jab. Aditi was planning to go with me but the diabetic nurse jabbed her while she had a review.

Then we will be going to Enfield. We have a new vacuum cleaner for MiL as her old one started emitting smoke. We could get it considerably cheaper from Amazon and offered to have it delivered to Aditi's sister who lives very near MiL but she didnt want to wait in for a courier.

I may not make it to the bus exhibition on Sunday either. There is a food and drink "fayre" at the RHS gardens at Hyde Hall which looks interesting.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Congrats and commiseration to those that require them.

Three days golfing with our Seniors group safely negotiated. I won a trophy at last year's event and I duly returned it for the Thursday night presentations - only to be given it to take it back home again - along with another!

A normal round of golf is about 4 hours. My group was first out and duly accomplished this on Wednesday, but four of our party, all individually known for slow play took 5 hours behind us. Slow play can really wind me up, but as I was in the last group for Thursday, I had really prepared myself for a longer than normal round. But not quite the 6 bl**dy hours it took. Our group was behind a group of 35 ladies who were causing major holdups throughout the day. It turns out that no-one from the golf course had been out to make sure that they were playing in good time and after our group leader commented on the bad organisation we were all offered a free round in the future.

Home to find out my new car should be ready to pickup on Monday - woohoo.

Time now for a hot bath to ease my slightly aching muscles.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

In the People's Republic of Yorkshire.  It isn't raining.

Yet.

It has been a nice sunny day in Leeds.....but a bit colder than Madeira!

• Like 11