The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

So today thus far has been:

• Cleaning
  • Sorting out student problems
  • Lunch
  • Dogs Walked
  • Evening meal prepared (a slow cook job)
  • Checked what I need to do for next week (not a lot - did it a few months ago)

What didn't get done

• The loo - no sufficiently long window when we could have the water off
  • The lawns - too wet

What she's got done

• Sewing - as in making Christmas Presents.

What is happening railway wise

• She has said that we need to talk about a where
  • But no result yet.
Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 3

I think the word you're looking for is 'heated' Ivan :rolleyes:

:bye:

Bu&&er-all to report, as usual.

I did stumble across some videos that may or may not be of interest to ER members or some family members:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r94eUA1upYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugr-PaUXJIc

Some Canadian plane spotters have launched a petition of sorts to get KLM to send it's 747-400 "City of Calgary" to Calgary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0Z-zLG4mA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMeGhxSQ1R8

KLM have actually responded, a spokesperson stated that 'it was cool to see how much these people love KLM', however the request was declined even though KLM considered it 'sympathetic' but stated that it would cause too much disruption to the schedule and inconvenience a large portion of other KLM customers if said plane would be diverted to Calgary, even for a single trip. KLM is known in the spotting world for being very friendly towards them. But, being Dutch-led, I wouldn't be surprised to find it in Calgary at one point before the plane retires ;)  We Dutch like to surprise people who'd never expected it anymore :lol:

Strange. It has been to Calgary. I've seen it twice. Once in WA during the Boeing tour while it was under construction, and once when KLM started flying direct to yyc. (Hence the naming) iirc it was their first 747-400.

• RMweb Gold

Matthew said some of the people who had flown to St John's from other parts of Canada had flown further than his jaunt across the Atlantic. Big country. His lecture was well received. He was very happy when he rang home this evening.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Seems that odordebaz could be a money spinner.. Barry O.....

Packed our bags..hopefully we will miss the 45+mph winds at Leeds Bradford.. Trust me..it is always an interesting landing at LBA!

Baz

PS Sleep well most.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Today we had our usual Sunday treat, breakfast in bed and a bit of a lie-in. Once up, it was outside to take advantage of the sunshine. I managed to get all the paving slabs that I'd lifted up so that I could re-position the gate posts back in and pointed, I even managed to lift the wooden fence post ready for its re-siting later in the week. Tomorrow if the weather is fine I'm hoping to continue working on the rest of the fence. At about 3:20 I'd just finished the pointing so decided to call it a day. So I started to pack and went inside just after 3:30 for a well earned cup of tea, I'd only been sat done for about 5 minutes when it started to rain! I guess I timed that cup of tea quite nicely.

Goodnight all.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Lots accomplished at work today.

The unusual job was finishing off the motorised window blind project. The hard work was drilling two 68mm holes in wood that was 75m thick to accommodate the motors. Problem was the hole saw could only cut about 50mm before it bottomed out and then the wood had to be chiselled out before hole sawing could recommence.

Once fitted, it all worked first time. so the boss was very pleased.

Slight POE earned and a quick trip to Nottingham Ice Centre to see the Blackburn Hawks in action. I thought Blackburn had a c&rp one way system, but that is a mere second division attempt compared to Nottingham. Then there's nowhere to park. It must be horrendous when there's a big event on at the adjacent Motorpoint Arena.

A fast paced game that was 0-0 after two periods (the first time I've ever seen no score at that point in a game), but the Hawks pulled a blinder to go 2-0 within 90 seconds of the start or period 3. Final score was 3-1 after a daft mistake by the Hawks Captain ruined the potential shutout. Couldn't be too vocal about it as his fiancee was sitting right behind us........

Return up the M1 and the four lane sections were home to some of the worst lane discipline I've ever seen. Lane 3 is the new lane 2 for the middle lane hoggers.  The M62 was remarkably quiet.

Have a good week folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Good morning one and all

Before I cooked the sirloin steak yesterday I paid a visit to the multiplex to catch 'Victoria and Abdul'.  The description 'lovely story' is a bit lame but must suffice.  Some scenes provoke guffaws, others tears.  Dame Judi Dench is superb as Queen Victoria and, of all people, Eddie Izzard makes a fair fist of of the role of her private secretary.  11.40 am may seem an odd time to go to the flicks but it is cheap for seniors.

Uncharacteristically I have been doing some tidying in the wake of the decision to list my unmade kits.  This has led to the rediscovery of some treasures and the creation of quite a long list.  Some more work on it may happen today but it's quite a busy week.  Tomorrow will see the monthly LCGB meeting [no, not LGBT] and Wednesday morning the writing of the report.  Bedford's annual cultural event, the beer festival, opens on Wednesday.  Clashing with it on Thursday is a concert by Faustus, a trio of musicians well known on the folk circuit.  That reminds me: I need to book tickets for a forthcoming gig.  I also need to check some train times but National Rail Enquiries is throwing a wobbly and keeps referring me to the relevant train company.  Unfortunately that will be Southern.

I forgot to mention the other highlight of the week ahead.  It is, of course, the ironing.  How long can I procrastinate that, I wonder?

Felicitations and best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris  

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Seems that odordebaz could be a money spinner.. Barry O.....

Packed our bags..hopefully we will miss the 45+mph winds at Leeds Bradford.. Trust me..it is always an interesting landing at LBA!

Baz

PS Sleep well most.

Not to mention the take off from Funchal! 

Chocks away!! 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A broken nights sleep again due to various aches and pains after yesterdays work, but I think I got about 6 hours.

Yesterdays work was building the majority of the mail cupboard and about 1/4 of the wall to the left of the gate as you look out.

This was quite complicated requiring lots of block cutting hence it doesn't look like I've done a lot. However next week it's almost straight wall building which will go up quicker.

During Saturdays CBT I was getting an ache in my left elbow, which didn't agree with lifting blocks on Sunday, this morning it b******y hurts :O , changing gear was particularly painful.

I also got bitten yet again by a mosquito on my hand, there is one thing we could do with a frost for.....

So I arrived to work this morning with three major systems all requiring the same piece of calibration equipment. This is caused by managers outside of my section disrupting my calibration Schedule. Anyway this has meant I have had to prioritise my work, so the piece I have chosen to do today, now that its set up and running, just requires 1 knob turn and a couple of key presses every 40 minutes-ish  over the next 5 hours. Suprisingly :sungum:  that means I don't have to lift anything ....

I see Monarch Airline has gone down, But I know a Airline based just 27 miles down the road, that is somewhat short of Pilots (Eh ....Mr O'Leary) so  they should be OK, sadly I doubt the rest of the staff will be so lucky.

Time to.... not do a lot till the next button press.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the somewhat breezy southern uplands of Leeds.  It might be interesting for Baz later.  I hope that his landing isn't too hairy.   I was once on a flight that came down so hard the overhead bins came open.  I've also been on one flight where there was a round of applause for the crew when we finally touched down.

The meal with the outlaws went well and I did my taxiing duties. It was the first meal that Beth ahs cooked since she burned her hand 3 weeks ago.   She is doing OK but the new skin is very fragile.   She's set off to Asda to meet her friend for breakfast and coffee(s).   I've got various tasks to do.   Having sorted my unbuilt kits some time ago I;ve actually started trying t get some wagons assembled and started on a white metal van last night.  It certainly won't need any added weight.  This afternoon I'm off to collect an L&Y tri composite that someone has finished off for me.  It should look good on the layout.  This evening it's off to the clubrooms.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Following Friday night's rugby It has been a busy weekend at the National Trust. I was there all weekend. It was tiring but very enjoyable. Today I think I will have an easy day. I might even give the daily constitutional a miss in this wind. I am waiting for someone to come and give the boiler its annual once over anyway.

Perhaps it will be a good day to tinker with some photos and eventually get round to starting a layout topic.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Breakfast eaten.

Bags packed...

Our landing at Funchal was interesting but, as hardened LBA travellers I follow my dad's statement ...A good landing is any landing you can walk away from.

I hate it when an airline folds. The vultures from clunk point and Macintosh had their talons in straight away. Tit annoys me that these companies (who have strange financial procedures of their own) can "wind down" a business with no knowledge of it unless, of course, they have links as previous auditors. Bean counters...pah! Apologies rant over.

Now off to get some sunshine top up.

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of hard landings, I always used to joke that the pilots were ex navy trying to make sure they grab the arrester wire.

The truth is not so far away, especially if it's wet..........

That sharp thump is to make sure the wheels get into contact with the runway.

The last thing you want is to do a 'greaser' super smooth landing and then find your wheels are aquaplaning down the runway.

As with a car that is aquaplaning, you lose directional control, which at typical airliner landing speeds could be catastrophic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of hard landings, I always used to joke that the pilots were ex navy trying to make sure they grab the arrester wire.

That sharp thump is to make sure the wheels get into contact with the runway.

The last thing you want is to do a 'greaser' super smooth landing and then find your wheels are aquaplaning down the runway.

As with a car that is aquaplaning, you lose directional control, which at typical airliner landing speeds could be catastrophic.

Strange coincidence. I read an article this morning about the reason for heavy landings in damp conditions.
  • Like 11

Have managed to collar an acquaintance to help collect the CX from "oop Narth", hopefully on 21st of this month. Helps that he's had Citroens before (although for the last decade he's had an MG TF - the old wood-based one, not the modern one). Happy days.

That sharp thump is to make sure the wheels get into contact with the runway....

Basic water displacement?

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning, partly due to having an extra soak in the bath and partly due to catching up on Facebook. One thing that really shocked me on Facebook this morning. A chaps 89-year-old grandmother is in a care home, yesterday he visited her at lunchtime. The old ladys Sunday dinner consisted of two slices of corned beef, a bowl of soup and a can of fizzy pop! He took a picture of this 'dinner' and posted it on Facebook and I passed it on, I would ask my Facebook friends to do the same. The lady (or her family) are paying £600 a week for her care. A more amusing item was on Facebook but I don't want to get banned.