The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Question: What is the difference between a model railway show and a quilting show?

At a quilting and craft show you get over scented ladies, elbows in the ribs and shopping trollies.

And tea in china cups.

How do I know? SWMBO has been a keen quilter and required moral support (a wallet and another pair of hands to carry stuff) at the huge Melbourne quilting festival every year.

Our joke was that the woman who dies with the most fabric wins.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Easiest way to avoid the time difference is to use ships. Clocks adjusted every night! Simples.

Our trans-Pacific cruise adjusted forward at 12noon for 5 days.......

It was supposedly better for the passengers to lose an hour of daytime, rather than an hour's sleep.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

Our trans-Pacific cruise adjusted forward at 12noon for 5 days.......

It was supposedly better for the passengers to lose an hour of daytime, rather than an hour's sleep.

Cheers,

Mick

I think it was night (02.00) that our clocks were 'advanced' back in the days of small ships, Oriana (original) and Orsova.

It was quoted on an old album I bought in the 70's that when flying into Belfast (in those dark days) you should turn your clocks and watches back a hundred years.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

From the interweb thingy: (other spellings are available!)

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two
say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its really ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect
in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
(Sauce unknown)

I too have this one somewhere but in the days when we were told not to correct spelling mistakes, or at worst? use pencil, if it came up in an essay then I would not have had enough of them.  Perhaps the final comment would have been 'Rewrite neatly and correctly'!

Peter

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

As usual, generic greetings are on offer, and a hope that those ailing get better, those celebrating have a nice time, and those exhibiting have no malodorous visitors, and that the great hand of God is not needed.

Jamie - the Croydon system in interetsting, a lovely combination of on street running, and running on dedlicated tracks (mainly ex BR Elmers End to Addiscombe, Elmers End to Selsdon, and West Croydon to Winbledon) and the branch to Beckenham and Elmers End also passes the back of 30747's former home.  Then, there's the sharp curve on the New Addington stretch to experience.  I haven't been there for some time, but there also used to be some interlaced track around Mitcham, though I was under the impression that this was one of the features to be upgraded.  The tram also stops right outside a 'spoons in George St.

Hopefully back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

Nice to hear the "Merton Dasher' of my school days is still in use even as a tramway ... long gone are the days (even before my time) of the Brighton run through this former L&SW route.

Peter

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I too have this one somewhere but in the days when we were told not to correct spelling mistakes, or at worst? use pencil, if it came up in an essay then I would not have had enough of them. Perhaps the final comment would have been 'Rewrite neatly and correctly'!

Peter

I think there was a time when Aditi said that marking in red became something not to do. My final years in vocational subject teaching did require scribbling on students work but it was to indicate thst you had identified a particular performance criteria they had met. However the mark sheet appended to their work contained all the appropriate comments (phrased positively).

When Aditi wrote her doctoral dissertation she had spell checking and grammar support turned off. When she had her doctoral viva the two external examiners said they liked to find a few spelling and grammatical errors just to prove they had read it. Aditi's correction was to remove an extra full stop. They also wanted the title to be changed.

I find the Android spell check to be very irritating. It often suggests and changes words that are correct to nonsense.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Tony, you are correct.  It has led me to think, possibly incorrectly, that the idea of letting children do their own thing in the later early years setting is a problem.  It's all very well using the experiential means to learn but if they are not taught to "read write and add up - or should I just say the 3Rs and expect a spellchecker response - at this stage then they become unable to appropriately express their knowledge and understanding (spellchecker did not correct the original spelling of this!) of their 'research'.  To use the term 'understanding' in a lesson plan in education these days a no-no.

It could be me but in my last few years of teaching teenagers I found 'text' coming more and more into written(?) work.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Madeiran wines bought from Oliveiras, coffee at the ritz, QE departed...at speed....

A bit more sun and now to get ready for tea.

Lummy I could get used to this holiday malarky.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Quote"And I've been told it was a craft show, not a quilting show."

You paid attention then!!!

An unusual day, I was taking a CBT. Or for those elsewhere, that is the Compulsory Basic Training required to allow you to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc for a period of up to 2 years. To allow you to practice for a full test.

Now I've done the CBT before and driven cars for 42 years, of the other three on today's course one had driven cars for a couple of years the other two were 17 and driven nothing.

So for me it was a long drawn out day. For the second half I was paired with an absolute beginner who had a meltdown towards the end of the course and had to be persuaded to stay on.

The others got told what they needed to revise/ practice, I got told I should take my test. However I only use the bike to go to work, and my back complains a lot. So I don't know if I'll keep bike riding for much longer.

So that was a 10 hour day including getting there.

I'm thinking I need a large whisky, goodnight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening each.

Last night's "do" was very successful and a good time was had by all, particularly The Boss.  Me too as it happens and after getting to bed at about 2.30 and not rising until 9.00 I needed what I call my 3-2-1 breakfast.(3 teas. 2 paracetamol and 1 slice of toast and marmalade) After a while I felt better and then spent 3 hours with the clear up. 

Our friends Steve and Jane came and he is looking really good after his illness. So much so that St. Thomas' Hospital want him to go back and discuss in depth what's happening because apparently he is not supposed to be improving so rapidly! They think it is possibly to do with a new cocktail of drugs they tried out on him

This afternoon was taken up with half watching the rugby and trying to set up Chris's new mobile phone with only some success. Calls and texts can be made but connecting to our Wi-Fi is a non-event at the moment so it will be passed to our IT dept (son Steve) and I'm sure that within nano seconds it will be fixed.

We're off out shortly with the kids and grandkids to one of our favourite eateries in Cheam for Round 2 of Chris's birthday.

Have a good evening,

Bob   :drinks:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations Andy

Did I mention our neighbours are students? ;) Upstairs popped down around 9.30 tonight looking to borrow a tin opener. Five minutes later she was back down because she couldn't work it.

Good night all.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

It's been a busy day here, so I've not yet had time to catch up with today's posts, hopefully I'll be able to do that tomorrow.

This morning, for some very strange reason, we had a lie-in and by the time we'd got up and came downstairs it was raining, so once again there was no work done on the new fencing.

A very pleasant evening was had last night catching up old colleagues but I think I drink far too much Guinness! Drinking too much Guinness, is that really possible? However, despite using Deansgate Station as my arrival and departure point into Manchester, I managed to miss the events that took place later in the evening, as the last train I could catch home left Deansgate Station at 23:27, which as usual was very full.

This evening we had Mike and Sarah round for tea, which had been postponed for a couple of weeks ago as they were both under the weather. Kashmiri chicken and pilau rice were on the menu tonight and we all enjoyed it very much. So I made the sauce straight after dinner, then all I had to prepare later was the chicken and rice. After the meal we opened a bottle of red and enjoyed a few hours chat before they left for home.

Congratulations Andy.

Goodnight all

• Like 14

Good morning one and all, and at the risk of me-too-ing, well done Andy

My ineptitude with computers never ceases to amaze me.  Yesterday it took me less than 10 minutes to remember how to save as a pdf a downloaded document proffered as a web page.  This morning it took me over half an hour and I think pure luck had a part in my eventual success.  That is the principal reason for my late arrival here today.  I know, I know, bad workman, rubbish tools.

Yesterday I embarked finally on a much-procrastinated task.  No, not the ironing: that got done on Friday, though there is now more to be done.  It was the stock-take of unbuilt and part-built kits.  Much remains to be done but so far the results are frightening.  Not much will get done this morning as I plan to trot off to the multiplex to catch "Victoria and Abdul" which comes highly recommended by a fellow RMwebber.  Later a piece of sirloin steak will be subjected to the usual treatment.  Thanks to the skill of Jim the Tesco butcher it is less of a slab than last time.  Dessert could well be an apple turnover thanks to a coupon.

Felicitations and best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• Like 15