The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Called in at my local Ford dealer to find out when my new one is likely to appear. I'm not in a rush to get it, but there is a planned cascade of cars in the NB household. My current car goes to Mrs NB and Mrs NB's goes to Junior NB. Junior NB's current car - a 52 plate Micra - is very unlikely to pass it's next MOT without major welding work, so the time limit is early November. It wouldn't be a major hardship for her to be without a car for a few weeks anyway.

As it turns out, my new steed is currently in Zeebrugge awaiting EU customs clearance on it's journey from India............

I took the chance to pick a registration from the list that they get and I have chosen something that is a Lancastrian greeting. The three letters are ELO........

Have a good Tuesday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

I took the chance to pick a registration from the list that they get and I have chosen something that is a Lancastrian greeting. The three letters are ELO........

Now I'm thinking of blue skies.

Which from earlier I'm given to understand are neither Lancastrian nor Yorkish?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ian: the Harry Truman library is, IIRC, just up the hill from Kansas City.

We are off for a while. Since I will be limited to the iPad, I may not be posting as it tends to logout as I post.

We have tickets for 3 performances at the Met (3 was a better deal than 2) so we may show up on the HD broadcasts. 

• Like 16

Good morning one and all, on a day when it is good to be an Andy

Goodness me, what a day yesterday.  When I first entered the kitchen I did not notice that the mousetrap had been triggered.  The deceased rodent has been committed to the compost bin along with the lump of fun size Mars bar which lured it towards the trap.  The sachet of exterminant had not been touched but I have bought some more.

A visit to the bank is seldom trouble-free.  As one might expect on a Monday morning, only one of the self-service account management devices had printing capability.  Retrieving a statement proved problematic, especially when the machine spat out my card.  I learned again that when a computer does not do as it is told one must engage the brain to outwit it.

To put the lid on the day, I discovered that the RCTS meeting in Cardiff that I plan to attend in January was advertised on the wrong date according to the webshite.  I have a non-refundable hotel booking.  Three attempts to send an e-mail to the secretary were bounced back but the fourth got through.  He thanked me for pointing out the error.  Phew!

Best wishes and felicitations to all in distress and recovery. 

Chris

Morning all.

Congratulations and good luck to the Andies.

Up early to go and get Daisy and breakfast her, then take her to school. Mum has an 8:30 meeting in Central London.

Had to take Daisy to her dance group last evening as son’s girlfriend was ill, and he stayed with her. Incandescence all round. He’s been told not to come to Daisy’s birthday lunch, but he can see her straight after at ours. Superficially, she’s keeping well, but who knows?

Have a good day, all. Speak later.

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Here,

A very bad nights sleep of a 4.5 hours, brain would not shut up...

Coming home yesterday a long queue of traffic on the main road at the front of which was a horse and carriage. The crew were fully liveried up, as were the horses, feather headdresses etc. and there was an eldery, well dressed couple on board. At the same point was the thickest fog this morning although generally it was just mist.

We have had two new cars, the first was just after I went to Saudi, the Car I had left SWMBO with was very unreliable and in fact broke down on the way to the garage for the hand over. That car was bought for cash by an unknown buyer and used in a ram raid. The poilice came a visiting, as the garage never got round to registering it their name...

The car we bought lasted 15years, and was only replaced  during the scrappage scheme. That car is now 8 years old but has done many more miles than the previous one did, when we replace that, I'm still not sure, but I am looking around to see whats available.

Time too... go do some work...

Edited by TheQ

Morning All,

It is a fairly autumnal morning here today, but not unpleasant.

Yesterday I had a business trip to Karlsruhe for a meeting, so didn't get a chance to post.

Today is due to be another day of meetings - so time for a coffee before they start!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a nice, warm island not in Yorkshire.

Jet2.com did a great job yesterday including overcoming late windshear while landing.

Well done to the Andy's!

Back later after breakfast.....and evening meal!

Baz

PS as the sun shines on the righteous it's sunny here and will do so in County Durham...

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village in the county where I have been doing missionary work for most of the past 60 years.   As a native of Cumberland I can look down on these quarrelsome southern Jessies who have to share a range of hills.

A good day yesterday with various tasks completed and ,Beth's hand is apparently on the mend but still bandaged up.  No burns unit referral at this stage.   We even managed to get her repeat prescription sorted out, though whether the Dr's receptionist who I had to be assertive towards was pleased about actually having to get off her chair, walk 20 feet and retrieve the said prescription, is happy I don't care.  She wanted me to return to the surgery and the chemist later on the day, potentially my 3rd visit.  I was not amused but it worked out in the end.

Anyway I then had a good evening at the club and actually got an EMU running under it's own power.  Video proof is on the layout thread.  The first scratchbuilt powered vehicle I have ever built on it's maiden voyage.

Various tasks today starting with two valuers coming round the house then taking Beth to an appointment in North Leeds.   Apart from that not a lot to report

Congratulations to the Andy's and thoughts towards Dick.   Also Chrisf, I do hope that the rodent had not moved his/her family in, only time will tell.   Our rodent control in France appear to be a combination of the owls, the hen harriers, the neighbours cat and the grass snakes.  The owls are definitely doing their bit from dissection of the pellets on the barn floor.  We just have to live with the Glis Glis in the roof.  They're too quick for me with an air rifle.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather a dull start here but dry and should brighten up later.

Still aching all over from yesterday's exertions so a more leisurely day planned. (by me, The Boss may have other ideas)

In fact has because I've just been reminded that we "need" to go to Sainsbury's and the chemist.

As I was supplied with company cars for many years I've had 7 new ones and was given normally a choice from 3. Usually had Ford (Cortina, Sierra, Mondeo but did have a Cavalier on one occasion)

Since retirement I've only bought second hand and the current Focus is now 10 years old but has only done 40k. My mileage these days is now only about 3k so unless something drastic happens I'll probably stick with it for a while. My favourite car though was a Lexus IS200SE which, if very expensive things hadn't gone wrong with it, I'd still have.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The sun is shining so I'm off to move a gate post or two, I may get some time!

Back later

• Like 15

For the plural of a proper name ending in y, simply add an s. The example given in The Oxford Guide to English Usage is "the three Marys".

Say three hail andys if you got it wrong.

Hmm... the spell checker obviously hasn't heard of the Oxford Guide!

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit brighter this morning if a bit close. Will make a start on the flat pack baseboard today, first job will be clearing a space.

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Here,

The car we bought lasted 15years, and was only replaced  during the scrappage scheme. That car is now 8 years old but has done many more miles than the previous one did, when we replace that, I'm still not sure, but I am looking around to see whats available.

You can't go far wrong with a Kia/Hyundai, you might even find one with plenty of warranty left, initially 7 and 5 years respectively.

.  We just have to live with the Glis Glis in the roof.  They're too quick for me with an air rifle.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Glis Glis otherwise known as the edible doormouse.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

For the plural of a proper name ending in y, simply add an s. The example given in The Oxford Guide to English Usage is "the three Marys".

Say three hail andys if you got it wrong.

Hmm... the spell checker obviously hasn't heard of the Oxford Guide!

Plead guilty as charge mlud.  I blame the effect of having Russell Harty as an English teacher.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit brighter this morning if a bit close. Will make a start on the flat pack baseboard today, first job will be clearing a space.

You can't go far wrong with a Kia/Hyundai, you might even find one with plenty of warranty left, initially 7 and 5 years respectively.

.  We just have to live with the Glis Glis in the roof.  They're too quick for me with an air rifle.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Glis Glis otherwise known as the edible doormouse.

Both previous were KIA, unfortunately  the model we have has doubled in price in the last 8 years, I guess to pay for those 7 year warranties

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

If the sun shines upon the righteous I must have been good at times ;) Still very comfortably warm here. Today should hopefully be quiet; tonight I am booked on the "Lowland" sleeper to Glasgow. Just a day visit and because there were some very good fares on offer. I can also fill in a gap on my travels as Bathgate - Drumgelloch and the Larkhall branch have both reopened since my last visit.

I get back around 1am Thursday! See you then

Best wishes all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

My tiny brain got some exercise this morning as Aditi asked me to have a look at her phone as she seemed to have acquired some malware. I asked what sites she had been searching and it was a TinTin in French website that came with a load of adware. All sorted now.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Just.

Earlier this morning saw mists and small pockets of mellow fruitfulness too.

Congratulations and good luck. I will leave you to work out to whom I am referring.

Dick, can I send a load of Friendly/supportives now, in case I miss one of your sad posts. Like you, it is the innocents I feel for most.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

We have some sunshine, not a lot but better than none.

Anyone who liked 'Dutch Master's' post about the self-playing instruments and who lives in the right area should pay a visit to this establishment which is absolutely fascinating.  We were very lucky as the friend who took us was acquainted with Chris Barber, the resident organist, so we had a very up-close and personal demonstration of the Mighty Wurlitzer standing right by the keyboard as Chris demonstrated various effects if can produce and ran through several tunes. But even if you don't get that the self-playing instruments are well worth seeing and hearing.

https://www.musicalmuseum.co.uk

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.

• Like 10