The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Be careful of your fencing! Both Hurricanes Maria and Lee are expected to head for the British Isles - according to meteorologists who flung the usual Speghetti Bolognese into the air and studied the resulting mess......

The Gold Smuggler was reported on the BBC World Service tis AM so it must be true! Don’t forget it was not in it’s raw state but included items like two necklaces etc.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Be careful of your fencing! Both Hurricanes Maria and Lee are expected to head for the British Isles - according to meteorologists who flung the usual Speghetti Bolognese into the air and studied the resulting mess......

The Gold Smuggler was reported on the BBC World Service tis AM so it must be true! Don’t forget it was not in it’s raw state but included items like two necklaces etc.

Best, Pete.

It's happened before

http://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-news/two-sri-lankan-traders-smuggle-25-gold-bars-in-rectum-held-at-mumbai-airport/story-7pDtexqSinp4U34lB0YzQP.html

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Rather dull and damp here. It may become drier and brighter later.

This week The Boss is on holiday as it is her birthday on Friday. In honour of this we are holding a bit of a do and then on Saturday going out for a meal with immediate family. Of course Her Presence all week and the fact that people will be visiting means that She has declared the house not currently fit for purpose (Oh yes it is!) and needs a major revamp and clean up. (Oh no it doesn't!)

Guess who has been seconded to assist deal with all this. Now I know why She's been buying me beer and cake. 

One task that has been completed is that I've already got Her card and present instead of leaving it to the last minute like I usually do.

I suppose the sooner I get started, the sooner I'll finish so 'bye for now and..

..have a good one.

Bob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and it's a damp, drizzly start to the day here. 

Dick, keep you chin up and you know where we are. 

Still waiting for the Man from Del Monte. Fingers still crossed. I'm given to understand that it is "when", not "if". 

Next door has built the mother of all ponds, some 5 or 6 feet in depth and about 10 feet in width. A second substantial pond has been built on top to act as a waterfall reservoir. The only thing is that when he switched the pump on - you guessed it - the level in the lower pond dropped. A top up will be needed but as we are somewhat prone to power cuts I can see a minor flood happening at some stage, possibly. 

Chrisf's mention of a curry reminded me of my first curry. It was certainly a day to remember. Given the chance to visit an RAF base in East Anglia our scout troop set off and got a conducted tour of the airfield (spotting decoys a-plenty; E-E* Lightnings) in the station fire tenders, a chance to sit in the back of a Phantom, and topped off with a chicken curry in the Sgts' mess. Those were the days when we had Lightnings and Phantoms. Sigh. 

* silver, not Orange. 

Some software, ordered on Friday, arrived early Saturday morning so best I install it and start getting familiar with the various buttons. 

Have a nice day everyone. 

Is there any other class these days?

Bovine? 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Chrisf's mention of a curry reminded me of my first curry. It was certainly a day to remember. Given the chance to visit an RAF base in East Anglia our scout troop set off and got a conducted tour of the airfield (spotting decoys a-plenty; E-E* Lightnings) in the station fire tenders, a chance to sit in the back of a Phantom, and topped off with a chicken curry in the Sgts' mess. Those were the days when we had Lightnings and Phantoms. Sigh. 

* silver, not Orange. 

Lightenings and Phantoms?........ early 1970's RAF Wattisham?

It's funny how they always take visitors to the Sergeants or Officers mess, then when the've conn'ed you into joining up, you find the pleasures of the carp food and accomodation of the airmen....

I got a lift in a chinook in the Falklands, Mid winter with underslung load, side door and aft door open, so the loadmaster could see what was going on, as well as the hole in the floor for the load. .    BXXXXy freezing...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thoughts and commiserations to Smiffy. Dull, damp and overcast here this morning, at least the damp isn't descending from the sky. Just a thought on the gold smugglers, how did they get past the airport metal detectors? Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

It's funny how they always take visitors to the Sergeants or Officers mess, then when the've conn'ed you into joining up, you find the pleasures of the carp food and accomodation of the airmen....

Depends on your definition of carp!

The food at RAF Akrotiti was like a royal banquet compared with what the slop jockeys were dishing out at the other end of Cyprus.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I got a lift in a chinook in the Falklands, Mid winter with underslung load, side door and aft door open, so the loadmaster could see what was going on, as well as the hole in the floor for the load. .    BXXXXy freezing...

Can't say for certain, but we were on a week's camp at Lamarsh next to the river Stour, so must have been relatively close.

Best not to ask me for directions though. Some colleagues asked me how long it would take to get to RAF Wittering once. I said Chichester was about an hour, so add another 10 minutes.  :scratchhead:

Having said that we took a Gazelle down to M.Wallop once and the officer chappie driving did what they always do - follow the roads. Shame the council had put in a new roundabout.    :jester:

I'll keep an eye out for any underslung HHs hovering over my roof - we get quite a few Chinooks over the house each day. 

HH, Sodexo is now your catering partner in those parts of the world. Just don't ask for a glass of water without paying for it! 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Grey and gloomy weather here. No Chinooks here today, so I assume no Essex hippos need removing.

I have done the admin of the day already, my car is booked in for its annual service and first MOT in early October.

I am sure there is something else I am supposed to do but whatevet it is continues to elude me. Perhaps Aditi will remind me.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Depends on your definition of carp!

The food at RAF Akrotiti was like a royal banquet compared with what the slop jockeys were dishing out at the other end of Cyprus.

I'd agree very variable from camp to camp, the worst for me was RAF Swinderby, or the Army on Benbecula.

The best was RAF Boulmer where because you couldn't claim back your food money for absences of less than 2 days and the base was nearly on the A1. So a great many people weren't there when they didn't need to be, so there was more money for the food.

As for accomodation for me,

RAF Staxton Wold (living at Driffield barracks) I had a 16 man room to myself, but had to use one of two beds at one end due to rain coming in through the roof.

RAF Coltishall was either 3 men rooms converted from 16man rooms with hard board partitions, or beds in a corridor. They had to do the accomodation up for the prisoners when it became a prison....

RAF Boulmer, was 4 men in a 3 bedroom house, one in each room upstairs and one in the living room downstairs and a very long walk to the mess.

RAF Benbecula was either four man rooms, or after a year as a Corporal, I got a single man room with 18inches of space round 2 sides of the bed...

Training camps were of course standard 16 man rooms.

RAF Wittering was a 16man room with triple bunks in it, for 42 men, although I was in there with a course of 30...luckily just for a week.

I'll ignore the odd tent, WW2 nissan hut with earth floors and sleeping beneath radars or on shelves on exersize.

I was at Akrotiri for a short time, but around  the age of o years plus a little bit till 3 years so don't remember any of it...( also at Famagusta and Nicocia in that time._

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Akrotiri was alright by the standards you've mentioned! Had the advantage that flying stopped for us around 13:00 and there was nothing to do apart from top up the suntan. 

Stayed in a barracks used for transiting personnel half a dozen years ago and they were not quite so nice. But the operative word was "transit", so temporary for all concerned. 

By comparison, when I worked for a World Rally team the accommodation in Limassol was, erm, luxurious. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I am fairly certain I have never had meals courtesy of the armed services or stayed in any of their accommodation.

I really liked school meals though.

I was reminded about the other task. It was to put the VAX vacuum cleaner in the garage. I did buy it years ago for DIY cleaning up but it became the upstairs vacuum. When Aditi replaced it with an upright cleaner I was supposed to return the VAX to the garage. Now done, so the study no longer looks like the UK vacuum cleaner strategic reserve.

Tony

• Like 16

....The food at RAF Akrotiti was like a royal banquet compared with what the slop jockeys were dishing out at the other end of Cyprus.

That's the first time I've ever heard that phrase.

I was once told that a reason why Army food was sometimes so bad was that it was meant to put soldiers into a thoroughly filthy mood, and hence more effective fighters. Dunno whether that is actually true or not.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's just stopped raining, having been raining for most of the morning so I've spent the morning in the cellar, No 2 base board is now finished, I'm just waiting for the glue to set then I can give it all a good sanding down before applying a couple of coats of paint.

Ava's school are having a coffee morning on Friday and I've been asked if I'd make a cake for it, so that is something that I'll also have to do before they all come for tea on Thursday. I've decided to make them a large carrot cake, so I'd best get some carrots I think!

As the rain has stopped I might go outside and move the stuff that is stored behind the shed so that I can make a start on removing the old fencing.

Back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

That's the first time I've ever heard that phrase.

I was once told that a reason why Army food was sometimes so bad was that it was meant to put soldiers into a thoroughly filthy mood, and hence more effective fighters. Dunno whether that is actually true or not.

I don't recall my father ever complaining about army food. Though he did say for a few weeks while they were drawing rations from the US Army they did eat especially well.
  • Like 12