The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from the Charente.   Rather late as I was up well before sparrow fart to take the ladies to the airport at Limoges.   This was after a very good evening at some French neighbours with 6 Anglos, 2 Dutch and 5 French which made for a very convivial evening.  Anyway the ladies were duly deposited and Peter and I then went to Oradour sur Glane which was as impactive as the last time I went. Then it was into Angouleme for a walk round the historic town, lunch in the sunshine , a trip to the station then back home.   Dinner will be prepared in due course but at the moment it is time to relax with no orders being issued.   The ladies have arrived home safely and Beth has been to the Dr's to get booked into the English healthcare system.  No Saturday and Sunday visits by one of the delightful nurses.   

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 13

If you want apples for the horses - please report here, ideally with a ladder and bring the CX as it should have enough room (if the spheres will hold out - they do deteriorate with mileage in case you didn't know).

Spheres (of influence) may also deteriorate with lack of use; LHM has to be replaced anyway every three years....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hah! Car deposited at garage for service..walked to the shops...bad move as her indoors went into the "early crimbo present" purchase mode. Ouch!

Car OK but needs a new drivers door window regulator. Free of charge.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Watch out. You could attract a moose.

Haven't seen any here yet but they usually show up around this time to hoover the apples off the trees.

We've got plenty of moose's oops I mean mice's. And also muntjak, Chinese water, Roe, and Red deer.

Just received a couple of booklets on military railways, from "the Titfield Thunderbolt " book shop. They were certainly well packed, and quick delivery :)

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. I once had a colleague who hailed from Pudsey, Yorkshire who was still wearing his late father's suits, trousers, jackets and other clothes 25 years after his father had died. The problem was that his father had been short and stout but he was six feet tall and thin as a rake.

Ah, a carrot surplus. No doubt a case of having your cake and eating it, and eating it, and eating...... :jester:

I don't like carrots but any surplus would be welcome at our local donkey sanctuary.

• Like 2

Welcome to the world of internet fora.........................

:dontknow:

Cheers,

Mick

Aaah! a correct plural! ;)

According to Fowler's Dictionary of Modern English Usage, we have a choice of two plural forms of forum: forums and fora, the second reflecting the word's Latin origin. The first is “several times more frequent in Oxford English Corpus data, and is preferable for all meanings other than 'a public square in an ancient Roman town or city'", though fora is quite often used in technical or legal writing.

To come nearer to home: “When used as the plural of 'an internet site where users can post comments about an issue' it presents a piquant discord between the ultramodern and the ancient, or is utterly pretentious, depending on your point of view: e.g. They may well also seek advice from other crackers*, through online fora or in chatrooms.

Edit: * "crackers" = criminal hackers.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 8

According to Fowler's Dictionary of Modern English Usage, we have a choice of two plural forms of forum: forums and fora, the second reflecting the word's Latin origin. The first is “several times more frequent in Oxford English Corpus data, and is preferable for all meanings other than 'a public square in an ancient Roman town or city'", though fora is quite often used in technical or legal writing.

To come nearer to home: “When used as the plural of 'an internet site where users can post comments about an issue' it presents a piquant discord between the ultramodern and the ancient, or is utterly pretentious, depending on your point of view: e.g. They may well also seek advice from other crackers [i think that this means those who crack problems, etc], through online fora or in chatrooms.

Wait till l'Académie anglaise hears about this ;)

Send me a fiver and your phone number.

You're cheap!! :jester:

Her Debness has already promised a visit in the future on an engineering (as opposed to ecumenical) matter!

Engineering or MODELLING?

To come nearer to home: “When used as the plural of 'an internet site where users can post comments about an issue' it presents a piquant discord between the ultramodern and the ancient, or is utterly pretentious, depending on your point of view: e.g. They may well also seek advice from other crackers [i think that this means those who crack problems, etc], through online fora or in chatrooms.

So, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum! Now, where have I been shewn that before?

Edited by JohnDMJ

The one that seems to jar on me is the use of "lt" instead of "led" for past tense, e.g. "spelt" versus "spelled".

"spelt" is common usage in the UK but in the US it's always "spelled". I seem to remember being taught in Scotland that it was "spelled" too, but my spelling was always carp so I can't be sure. I think I'm a bit dsylexic.

Confused of Iderhoe.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wait till l'Académie anglaise hears about this ;)

Never mind l'Académie anglaise, where's the crême anglaise? There's a naked apple crumble here. :O

The one that seems to jar on me is the use of "lt" instead of "led" for past tense, e.g. "spelt" versus "spelled".

"spelt" is common usage in the UK but in the US it's always "spelled". I seem to remember being taught in Scotland that it was "spelled" too, but my spelling was always carp so I can't be sure. I think I'm a bit dsylexic.

Confused of Iderhoe.

Spelt is a kind of flour. The past tense of spell is spelled by American convention but it can be spelt either way in the English version. Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

350 or so miles covering various locations around Lancashire/Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/Greater Manchester, 10 trains, 7 types of train, all for £17 today.

A pleasant day out.

I met up with my XC driver friend at Leeds who then took me to Derby - he arranged for me to sit in First, which was most welcome as the rest of the train was packed. I then unwittingly rendezvoused with him at Chesterfield on his return with another invite into the larger seats....

And for a final coincidence, the guard on my final journey home was my Northern Trains compatriot that had provided me with one of his friends and family vouchers.

Part of my trip was a run by of the RTC site at Derby. Unfortunately autofocus cameras can't cope with very wet windows....

post-408-0-03999100-1506030670_thumb.jpg

I do already have quite a few railway side views of the site, so it wan't too disappointing.

Strange work schedule for these few days. Off Thursday/Saturday/Monday.

Have a good Friday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A busy day one here way or another and I'm bucking follocksed. The cheesecake went down well though!

Goodnight all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

One of our humour shows did a sketch where the lamguage police were harassing an English retaurant, insisting that all the food names be translated. The inspector finally retreated in terror at having to provide the French for "Toad in the Hole" and "Spotted Dick."

• Like 2

Good morning one and all

The war against the meeces has begun.  Last night I put out some bait and placed it near where it/they nibbled my bags of wheat germ.  During the night it disappeared.  Today on the fodder run I will buy some chocolate and/or Mars bar to prime the mousetrap.  A by-product of the infestation is that I keep hearing all sorts of noises that could be made by rodents but I haven’t a snowballs of catching it/them in the act.  Best, I feel, to carry on with other jobs.  One puzzling task is to sign and return an electoral registration form in respect of which I responded less than a month ago.  I detect unnecessary expense.

Tomorrow I am off to Stoke Mandible for the weekend to attend Scaleforum.  I am looking forward to meeting the proprietrix of the bed and breakfast where I have stayed for the past four shows.  We have only ever spoken on the phone!

Best wishes and felicitations to all in distress and recovery. 

Chris

• Like 4

Morning All,

It is a fairly bright morning here, but chilly.  The trees are now turning brown, so autumn will soon have us firmly in its grip.

Nice to see some pictures from Dom - How is family life treating you?

Time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Here,

A not to bad nights sleep was had of abut 6.5 hours in 2 bits...

Yesterdays work was a real pain, I was getting soe sort of electrical  interferance all morning, which meant each reading took a long time to settle.  What every it was was switched off at lunch time and I dd more readings in the 2.5 hours after lunch than the 5 before.

this meas I'll be doing all the spreedsheet processing of the results for it this morning while also try to do todays work...

On the way home yesterday I dropped in via Screwfix, just in front of me arriving in the car park was a very big fairly new Audi. Out of this stepped a womble of  the low 20's complete with backwards baseball cap. well there is no way he bought that car, I suspect it's Daddys. Anyway he gave me a dirty look as I approched the door and it looked like I get there first. Not being in a hurry I let him go in first, it was imediately apparent he had never been in there before, as he started looking around, while I went straight for the counter with my list of part numbers.

The womble then approached a display of workmans clothing / safety gear. and started looking at it. By this time my 5 piece order was paid for and I retired to the counter where they deliver the items to you. He  picked up a pair of workmans trousers, and then started looking at the safety glasses. He then got out his Iphone and started using the camera to look at himself in it as he tried on the safety glasses..  He was still doing that when my order arrived and I left. I somehow think this womble has never done a real days work in his life and is about to get a rude shock when he gets to a building site...

This Morning low lying fog, so low, I was looking out above it, as I drove through in the landrover, the Correct start to the real Autumn..

Time to go into battle with more equiement which luckily is less sensitive to electrical noise...

Edited by TheQ