The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

HOW MUCH!!!!!! Bring back the fellow with a long rod tapping on your window!

If we need to be up very early Aditi programs her phone, her radio and assorted alarm clocks, she then wakes up before the allotted hour and goes off to the bathroom. I then have to get up and hunt down and silence every bleeping object.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Congratulations to Clan Abel.  Now something useful for DD (crikey, what a link!!!)

http://www.argos.co.uk/browse/home-and-garden/home-furnishings/clocks/c:29525/type:alarm-clocks/?cmpid=GG05X&_$ja=tsid:15899%7Ccid:154688805%7Cagid:8894564205%7Ctid:kwd-299482962678%7Ccrid:164734173800%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:891773408149360258%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1t1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwtGr1oi21gIVir_tCh3kcA2JEAAYASAAEgIvYvD_BwE

Today is of course faux Friday so we'll be off to a branch of Waitrose, possibly somewhere near at hand, at some stage and we might or might not beat the rain which is forecast for later,  In the meanwhile Mrs Stationmaster is researching methods of conserving the carrot glut which has hit the veg patch this year - might need to buy some straw to cover them as that sounds the best idea.

Have a good day folks.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

....and Golders Green?

Rather amusingly in my younger years I was frequently accursed, particularly in pubs, of hailing from that neck of the woods.  It was in fact incorrect and a rather silly accusation as I pointed out when advising those who suggested such things that my father was a Yorkshireman and I had no doubt inherited the ability of those from that county to make the Scots, and those from Golders Green, look like rank amateurs when it came to being careful with one's money.

PS My dad inherited his father's 'best (over)coat' and of course wore it for many years subsequently as he fully understood the need to get value out of items of clothing which had cost good money.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

If you can't cope with the surplus, there are quite a few horses I know who would appreciate them....

It's not so much the surplus - carrots being a much appreciated vegetable in this household - but the need to conserve them in good condition for later consumption.  According to the RHS they will overwinter left in the ground if covered with 6 inches of straw or bracken.

• Like 1

.... my father was a Yorkshireman and I had no doubt inherited the ability of those from that county to make the Scots, and those from Golders Green, look like rank amateurs when it came to being careful with one's money.

I dunno. I heard it said that Highlanders could outdo Yorkshiremen in the Ebeneezer Stakes.

PS My dad inherited his father's 'best (over)coat' and of course wore it for many years subsequently as he fully understood the need to get value out of items of clothing which had cost good money.

I still wear a Caldene keepers tweed hacking jacket that I bought new in 1988. It's been frequently ridden in, and still holds its shape.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I dunno. I heard it said that Highlanders could outdo Yorkshiremen in the Ebeneezer Stakes.

Aye. A teuchter will out-scrape them all and still claim he has the better life.

Edited by Gwiwer

As previously advertised I will be leaving home early tomorrow for my jollies.

Rang BT to ask for a wake up call and changed my mind when I heard the cost:

£12.09 !!!!

Lucky I'm a BT customer or it would have been more.

:O Crikey!......For that kind of money, I`d expect them to swing by your place in the morning, make breakfast, then help you both, pack for the airport! :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

:O Crikey!......For that kind of money, I`d expect them to swing by your place in the morning, make breakfast, then help you both, pack for the airport! :mosking:

Thanks Debs,

I will take you up on your kind offer:

There's £12.09 in the post.

I need an early call on Sat 30 Sep!

You have my address.

• Like 2

As previously advertised I will be leaving home early tomorrow for my jollies.

Rang BT to ask for a wake up call and changed my mind when I heard the cost:

£12.09 !!!!

Lucky I'm a BT customer or it would have been more.

If I'd paid that much for sure I'd not sleep that night.  :scratchhead:

I wonder what the 9p is for? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had some carrot cake yesterday :no:  :no:  :no: .

We have sitting on our front fence, bags with a sign saying "cooking apples / pears free, please take."

We hove mountains of them this year...

• Like 11

We have sitting on our front fence, bags with a sign saying "cooking apples / pears free, please take."

Pity you're in Norfolk, otherwise I'd send the horses round to help themselves....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pity you're in Norfolk, otherwise I'd send the horses round to help themselves....

They'd probably get drunk on all the windfalls lying around....

There is a sign i pass most days pointing to Horse carrots for sale...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 7

BIN day, and they're OUT...

Mrs suffering from a cold that seems to have turned into an upper respiratory infection, so she's off to the "Minute Clinic" - always wondered how they came up with the name, usually takes about 30 minutes all told  :jester:

My yesterday lunch in St. Paul was a brush with celebrity... sat one table away from Gene Simmons, in town for a charity concert last night and the St. Paul Hotel is the best/favourite resting place for the well heeled. Just happens it's also a great place for a buffet lunch in their "M Street Café" and is just one block away so often the venue when I go into the office. 

Those with FAR too much time on their hands may recall me lamenting the desire to have a "Flying Scotsman" in my roster, as I felt everyone needs a "Mallard" and "Flying Scotsman". The preferred livery/style being BR green #60103 with german style smoke deflectors.

Of course, now I've squandered available funds on an air-smoothed MN, AND a limited edition Q1 from Rails, what appears as a new release but the exact item I'd like to obtain R3508TTS https://railsofsheffield.com/br-4-6-2-flying-scotsman-60103-a3-class-brunswick-green-with-tts-sound-JJJA32423 - may have to see if I can persuade the CEO that an early Christmas present is in order  :O  :senile:

13 and sunny putting the BINs out, 27 for the high.

May your BINs be successfully emptied and your day be fruitful.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Well the Sainsbury's trip went well and there was no bloodshed. It went so well in fact that The Boss, on seeing me looking at various cake shaped things, bought me a rather large cream doughnut.

It is now an ex- cream doughnut. It is, in fact, deceased.  :imsohappy:

• Like 4

Watch out. You could attract a moose.

Haven't seen any here yet but they usually show up around this time to hoover the apples off the trees.

• Like 10