The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

This evening I am ruminating those who offer topics online for discussion yet don't seem to want to hear a differing point of view and question the motives or conviction of those who offer one.

Welcome to the world of internet fora.........................

:dontknow:

Cheers,

Mick

This evening I am ruminating those who offer topics online for discussion yet don't seem to want to hear a differing point of view and question the motives or conviction of those who offer one.

David Eagleman delves into some of the dilemma in this series. I'm not sure which episode. (I happened to watch it last night.)

• Like 7

David Eagleman delves into some of the dilemma in this series. I'm not sure which episode. (I happened to watch it last night.)

That whole series is brilliant! I watched every episode the last time I recall it being broadcast.

I found it very illuminating - particularly regarding the processing time required (first episode) and the whole conversation on empathy (in groups versus out groups).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7

Good morning one and all

I went shopping yesterday.  There is a traditional ironmonger’s shop next door to the bank which sold me two types of chemical warfare and a mousetrap.  The assistant was most helpful and mentioned the efficacy of bits of Mars bar as bait.  Today I will deploy the toxic stuff and see what happens.  After that bit of shopping I booked an eye test for next week and look forward, with some apprehension, to news of my incipient cataract.  The dental surgery has now started nagging me to make an appointment.  The last one was six months ago and no structural engineering was needed.  If dental check-ups were free, as eye tests are to someone of my age, I would be more inclined to visit more often.

Area Group went well last night, thank goodness.  We were half a dozen round the table, a worthwhile number.  At one time I feared that I would be there on my tod.   Phew.

In addition to the anti-rodent measures I hope to do some m*d*ll*ng later today once other essential tasks are completed.  I may even derive some satisfaction from it.  You never know.

Best wishes and felicitations to all in distress and recovery. 

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start and a breezy morning with sunny spells is on offer followed by cloud and rain later. 

Today's first task will be to meet The Boss at Sainsbury's and shop continue last week's argument.

Following that I need to balance the books as I've just received my second pension this month. A cursory glance has told me that the model token fund is healthy which is just as well considering what's coming in the next few months.

After hours of fiddling and faffing about my station platforms are almost finished. You would not believe how long it has taken me to cut out and stick a few pieces of cardboard to my fingers.together. However I was going very slowly to ensure that I didn't amputate my fingers in the process.  :butcher:

More tea now needed.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here.

A good nights sleep was had of nearly 7 hours I enjoyed that...

In two months time I'll be doubly qualified for the free perscriptions ( I'm diabetic), although my local MP (Alan Lamb) is campaining to have them stopped until retirement age. Knowing my luck he will be successful and then BQ will also put up the age for the discount card before I reach 60...

It was overcast and dry this morning, which may account for several High speed wombles, A volvo that went past at 90+ in a 60 limit, a Royal Mail van went past at 70 in a 50 limit, and a white van womble did the amber gambler thing as I went to turn right, only he wasso  late for the change, as I had just got green and he was going exceedingly fast in a 40 limit.

The biggest slug I've seen was about six inches long in my garden when I cleared away some rubbish..The MRC has just changed the carpet in the tea bar, once slug trails were seen on the carpet. it was found water was leakiing under the back / emergency door and the old carpet was ruined..

Yesterday Morning didn't go well at work I was having a real problem measuring things until I was informed thet the manufacturer of this piece of equipemnt (one I had never tested before) had the negative voltage coming out of the red positive terminal !!!.

Meanwhile A piece of equipment I had calibrated for Poland in July is back... it had been dropped en-route considering the amount of packing we (goods out) put round these things it was one hell of a drop...

I have a free buffet lunch tomorrow, one of our distant managers from abroad is visiting... small compensations....

So for today...

Time to.... go measure 7 current shunts for the country this manager is from...

• Like 12

Good morning one and all

I went shopping yesterday.  There is a traditional ironmonger’s shop next door to the bank which sold me two types of chemical warfare and a mousetrap.  The assistant was most helpful and mentioned the efficacy of bits of Mars bar as bait.  Today I will deploy the toxic stuff and see what happens.  After that bit of shopping I booked an eye test for next week and look forward, with some apprehension, to news of my incipient cataract.  The dental surgery has now started nagging me to make an appointment.  The last one was six months ago and no structural engineering was needed.  If dental check-ups were free, as eye tests are to someone of my age, I would be more inclined to visit more often.

Area Group went well last night, thank goodness.  We were half a dozen round the table, a worthwhile number.  At one time I feared that I would be there on my tod.   Phew

In addition to the anti-rodent measures I hope to do some m*d*ll*ng later today once other essential tasks are completed.  I may even derive some satisfaction from it.  You never know.

Best wishes and felicitations to all in distress and recovery. 

Chris

Chris use the trap FIRST......

You don't want a dead mouse festering under the floorboards, trust me!

• RMweb Premium

It's chuckinitdarn here.

Off to the Honda dealer in Bradford today, my car is due a service. Her indoors is coming with me so that "we" can visit the new shopping centre. Frabjoy!

Then it's time to collect my prescription and do some modelling. Wooopiddooo!

Belated congratulations to the Abel clan. May the two newly weds have a long and happy marriage.

Baz

Edited for spul chikr!

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Try 4 dead rats scattered around the muddle railway shed.....

The best laid plans, the equipment I was going to use has been hijacked for aonther use, then half my test leads are missing, I was left with the DMM left set to some very strange measurements, I suspect My boss has been in the lab again...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

It's sunny here but plenty of scattered dark clouds.

After doctors yesterday morning I arrived NYC London Bridge at London nchtime do picked up a pasty. Then to chemists to collect the prescription. Forgetting that I had a pasty in my bag, I decided that I would have a burrito.got into the office to then remember that so had two lunches!!

Getting old but at least I didn't need much to eat last night.

I did t expect to see GWR livery Electrostars running through East Croydon yesterday though. They weren't in service so presumably on test using the third rail supply

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

I think we may go shopping today, I am not sure where though yet.

Aditi has a blood test this morning. Robbie has a vets appointment this afternoon. I don't have any appointments today though I will be accompanying Robbie to the vets.

Tony

• Like 14

Morning all and sunshine is trying to break through light cloud cover. 

'twas a busy day yesterday and hopefully I'll have something to report in due course. 

As my brain was frazzled last night I poured a pre-mixed can of Grennall's gin and pink grapefruit that I'd pre-positioned in the fridge. 

My youngest mistook this for a glass of "summer fruits" squash. Needless to say the difference did take him somewhat by surprise and was promptly returned into the glass. Thanks, son. 

Meanwhile the marathon Morse and Lewis box set fest that swmbo and I have been ploughing through is nearly at an end. Endeavour next, perhaps?

Greetings to one and all. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The weather is keeping me indoors today, so as it's Thursday and Sheila is at her Zumba class I once again have the kitchen to myself and as the grandchildren are coming for tea today instead of tomorrow, as tomorrow evening I'm at a local MERG meeting! So I thought I'd make another cheesecake. To continue my experimentation with different flavours, today I'm making a chocolate and raspberry cheesecake.

Back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I woke up about four this morning and before going back to sleep I decided to go downstairs and see if there was any sign of the cause of the slime trails. And lo and behold there was a slug in the middle of the carpet. I now have to report that the slug is no more, passed, deceased or gone to slug heaven. Actually its been flushed, wrapped in loo paper so unless it was the Houdini of the slug world it couldn't escape. Congratulations and commiserations where neccessary, be back later.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I woke up about four this morning and before going back to sleep I decided to go downstairs and see if there was any sign of the cause of the slime trails. And lo and behold there was a slug in the middle of the carpet. I now have to report that the slug is no more, passed, deceased or gone to slug heaven. Actually its been flushed, wrapped in loo paper so unless it was the Houdini of the slug world it couldn't escape. Congratulations and commiserations where neccessary, be back later.

And you didn't have to do the "shake and vac" dance either..

Last night a really big spider walked across the lounge floor. Its journey was observed by two humans and a dog. When Robbie was a puppy he used spiders for pouncing practice. He too cant be bothered about them now.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

My part of the hippodrome is in ecstatic meltdown as a box containing the sound fitted 8750 pannier tank from Minerva Models has just arrived.

Soon to be transformed into 4667 of Barry (88C) Shed.

All I need is my Powercab back from repair (DCC Supplies have fixed it, it just needs returning) so I can try it all out.

Popmaster  and a coffee next before a traipse into Newport (Salop) on labouring duties for the Obergrumpenfuhrer.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

As previously advertised I will be leaving home early tomorrow for my jollies.

Rang BT to ask for a wake up call and changed my mind when I heard the cost:

£12.09 !!!!

Lucky I'm a BT customer or it would have been more.

Send me a fiver and your phone number.

• Like 3

As previously advertised I will be leaving home early tomorrow for my jollies.

Rang BT to ask for a wake up call and changed my mind when I heard the cost:

£12.09 !!!!

Lucky I'm a BT customer or it would have been more.

HOW MUCH!!!!!! Bring back the fellow with a long rod tapping on your window!

• RMweb Premium

Coffee consumed with two chocolate biscuits. Enjoying the little outside entertaining area I threw together earlier. Sun has disappeared, clouds suggest the forecast rain isn't far away.

Rodent elimination is very effective if traps are baited with chocolate. There is an added advantage that no toxic chemicals are involved. The disadvantages I see are that it is necessary to remove the remains from the trap to the ex-mouse-sphere. And one doesn't get to eat the chocolate.

Domestic Engineering is required followed by the ritual of throwing the Gwiwer in the shower. All of the above to be followed by lunch and an afternoon readying stuff for next week. SWMBO is off to Lostwithiel for a quiet writing week with friends and will hopefully return with a completed PhD thesis for me to proof-read. While she is away I am taking full advantage of my Senior Railcard and some bargain offers to make a quick visit to Scotland. Up first class on the sleeper for £85 and back on a Beardierail Leano for the princely sum of £16 Glasgow to Eusless.

I get my jolly to Cornwall the following week staying in Hayle ;)

• Like 18