The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Survived the supermarket trek.  

A signal failure at Waterloo (another one??? :O ) resulted in the remains of our service already halved by engineering work on the main line being in near-total disorder.  By my reckoning there has now been a signal failure every day since before the blockade ended.  We are now accustomed to trains arriving at random intervals and increasingly not at all.  

Supermarket was its usual Saturday afternoon self.  Relatively busy, staffed by those who they can goad or badger into working (i.e. the youngest and the oldest part-timers but none of the knowledgable full-timers) meaning a simple request for bacon at the meat counter was met with a blank stare.  I indicated the tray upon which said bacon was displayed and the chap shuffled off to the store room.  Apparently bacon was not to be sold off the display tray.  Several minutes passed before he shuffled back and proffered me a 10kg "outer" box of the stuff.  That being rather more than I had asked for I removed one pack and tried to hand him the rest back.  There was another stunned look but I didn't hang around long enough to see what happened next.

The checkout next to me was staffed by a very young lady who kept having to call for her supervisor.  She was apparently too young to sell alcohol which seemed to be included in everyone's shopping.  So why put her in that position in the first place???

Rant over.  Time to iron the shirt and prepare for the evening.  Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Signal failures these days seem to be the norm. God knows how many we have onSouthern a day. Add to that the continuous line closures exch weekend . Redhil is currently having its third consecutive one and yet when we drive past the stationit just appears to. Work on the new platform 0 with no work being carried out on the main through tracks. I could be wrong in that other work is being carried out but reading Southerns website there is no mention of these closures when I looked this morning on their website.

As far as I am concerned it's all ****** and have complete contempt for the privatised rail industry but respect for their staff having o endure all of this.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

luckily a short match today and boy was it cold....lots of thermal vests,shirts, jumpers and a pair of fleece lined trousers kept me at a reasonable temperature. Just my women's game in Sheffield tomorrow then its on with the indoor season...

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Had a good morning at the Shenfield exhibition, only made a couple of purchases. One was the new edition of 'The Wantage Tramway' from Wild Swan. The other was a 00 scale Hibbard 'Planet' loco from the club stand. A well built white metal body on a Tenshodo motor bogie, not bad for £50. The Shenfield club sales often throws up bargains/unusual models, a few years ago I obtained a large bag of bits from various plastic rolling stock kits for 25p that turned out to contain enough parts for about eight Gloster bogies for modern goods stock (less wheels). As Tony said we didn't meet each other but I did see some familiar faces but no ER's/RMwebbers AFAIK.

• Like 16

It is good to see someone on this thread blatantly using the MODELLING word! Censorship vs the right to freedom of speech at whatever level of discussion, whilst a rite, will always remain a matter of (ironically) debate!

Whilst others herein may disagree, even in the WT&S thread, we still contribute to the Railway Modellers' Web (RMWeb) forum!

Well said John and you did it without resorting to an incredibly small font. Respect!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is my 60th birthday in a couple of weeks time and Mrs BoD has just said '"I haven't a clue what to get you, just get yourself something and that can be your present".(*) My, oh my! Where to start.

* I wonder, should I have got this in writing.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It is good to see someone on this thread blatantly using the MODELLING word! Censorship vs the right to freedom of speech at whatever level of discussion, whilst a rite, will always remain a matter of (ironically) debate!

Whilst others herein may disagree, even in the WT&S thread, we still contribute to the Railway Modellers' Web (RMWeb) forum!

Well said John and you did it without resorting to an incredibly small font. Respect!

This business about no modelling is a standing joke rather than having anything to do with freedom of speech or 'censorship'. It was all part of the light banter which was the original rationale behind ERs in its early days.

... and I managed to say all of that without using big or little font sizes.

• Like 5

This business about no modelling is a standing joke rather than having anything to do with freedom of speech or 'censorship'. It was all part of the light banter which was the original rationale behind ERs in its early days.

... and I managed to say all of that without using big or little font sizes.

And it has been standing for less time than I have been posting hereon. (BTW, I keep promising myself that I will have the operation to remove my tongue from my cheek!)

However, it is indicative of the attitude held in the UK vs the rest of the world that RAILWAY MODELLING is a closet subject. When attending European model railway exhibitions, it is apparent that the whole family (yes, including Mum and Daughter) is involved. Not normally the case in the UK!

• RMweb Premium

One thing I will need as a prop for the CX is a pack of Gauloises or Gitanes cigarettes, to be placed on the front passenger tray....

Just the thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Gauloises-Legeres-Empty-20-Cigarette-Soft-Packet-/132223616429?hash=item1ec92445ad:g:-eQAAOSwXetZPZg7

The Gitanes pack was much nicer though, as were the cigs.

• Like 6

Just what I'm after, though I'd prefer the fags to be still in the box....

http://youtu.be/Ye87n_oo1Mw

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

No. DVLA won't have registered change of registered keeper that quick. Also have to bring it down from Stoke on Trent, so need a co-driver (I went by myself today).

Why will it take that long to register the change of ownership? Just go into a post office that does car tax. They will take the bit of reg document you were given by The vendor, take your licence money, and leave you with a tiny bit of the registration document. The new one in your name can take quite some time. You will of course need valid insurance.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

I had a very good day in the workshop, although I haven't actually started on Max's train set board yet, but I have done some marking out. Instead I've been building myself a modelling work tray, so that I can sit at the dining room table with out doing any damage to it. It's almost finished, I'll post photos toughen it's all done. It's all been made with some offcuts from the sheet of ply I had cut on Monday!

No 2 son and his fiancé should have been round for tea, but they are both not feeling well and had to cancel yesterday, so I left the sauce and chicken in the freezer for next time and went out and bought an Indian take away instead. This was followed by the remains of yesterday's cheesecake and a bottle of merlot. Apart from Mike and Sarah not being able to come round for tea, all in all is been a good day today, I hope tomorrow is the same.

Goodnight all

• Like 15