The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning

We had a bit of a lie-in this morning, which is unusual for a week day, but what the heck!

Nothing is planned for to day, so to pinch a quote from Chrisf, I think I'll have a day which consists of unspecified pottering!

Back later

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

We were late up as well which is very unusual. Slept solidly for over 7 hours which is unheard of for me.

Some sunshine and cloud at the moment. More cloud with showers and possibly thunder later.

Have now turned off the television news as it would appear that so called reporters must take a degree in asking repetitive stupid & moronic questions.

Utmost sympathy goes out to anyone injured by these scumbags.

Today "we" apparently need to do some tidying up so I've volunteered to sort out the railway room! (Again)  :yes:

I may return later.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

Reviewing all the check tests and possible "fail" points for the CX tomorrow. There are quite a few of them. Hopefully the owner won't start the car before we arrive, as there is one major test that has to be done when "cold", and a cold start may also show the state of the ignition switch, which the owner admits has a 25% failure rate!

I had another look at the prices of CX-Basis again; they are just like those mysterious family-run pharmaceutical companies which buy up drug production rights (once the patent/licensing period for the drug has expired) and then jack up the price by a couple of thousand percent, to the detriment of those who depend on those drugs not to mention national health bodies that have to pay for them.  :nono: Bunch of crooks.

Edited by Horsetan

At our wedding, my father made a speech about the father of the groom being the least ... I forget if it was needed, consulted, useful..

Then my grandfather said "If the father of the groom is the least...  then the grandfather of the groom..."

When our youngest daughter got married I was warned about the contents of my speech. We discussed possible subject manner and reached an agreement. I then proceeded to print onto an A4 sheet a series of "words" and then I cut out every other word leaving large holes.

When the great day arrived and it was my turn to speak, I carefully removed said A4 sheet from my pocket and explained to all there that my speech had been most carefully censored.

I then informed everyone that this modified speech,which I then held alloft, would not be used and proceeded to crumple it up and threw it over my shoulder. 

I did however follow the agreed contents and was forgiven my gesture.

That evening at the party, Helen took her place in the Christian rock band she and her new husband had started and here's a photo.  

post-276-0-22483200-1505472193.jpg

The dress my wife had made for her had been designed so as she could do just this.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Nowhere near the little firework at Parsons Green nor the big fire at Headstone Lane which have respectively closed the Womble-town branch of the District Line and the entire West Coast Main Line between Euston and Milton Keynes today.

Just another morning of domestic engineering here. Followed by an afternoon stroll if the shiny thing is still visible in the sky.

Big night out tomorrow with a dinner for numerous senior staff and partners in the Director's house at Kew Gardens. Might have to iron a shirt.

Enjoy POETS Day. Best wishes to all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Old farts bike club duly attended. We were old and....talked a lot.

Time now for a drive to the bright lights of Royal Ramsey (again) in the car this time to do shopping and have a walk about, foot for the physio-ing of.

One member of the club who is there for the men-in-sheds effect rather than bikes turned out to have been the head of the town gas works in Douglas - a very interesting chap indeed.  Talk ranged from old Jags (he has an XK150and a BMW 3.0 CS) to ships, with gas works in between!

• Like 16

More nonsense from me:

All Hallow’s Eve is approaching,

post-9016-0-32710900-1505474640.jpg

post-9016-0-21993200-1505474664.jpg

post-9016-0-27220000-1505474698.jpg

Well, bang goes that idea for this year..............

post-9016-0-39950100-1505474749.jpg

I was amused to see the BBC headline “I was abused by Nuns” and read the article - now I’m totally disgusted and appalled by the goings on in Lanark. I suppose it is hoping too much to find any responsible end up in Prison for a long time?

Best, Pete.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.  Strange goings on in Londo - the Parsons Green bomb appears, fortunately to have been something of a failure as it burnt instead of exploding although some people suffered burns in consequence.  But the real problem seems to have been the appalling mad scrummage to get off the platform with children and pregnant women being shoved aside or trampled underfoot - just where has commonsense gone I wonder?  Talking of lack of commonsense I do wonder about the need to shut all six running lines in order to demolish a linseside wall at Headstone Lane surely it need only have been 2 (the 3rd rail bit) or 4 (the 25kv bit) and then run at least some trains as far south as Watford Jcn - yet again NR's inability to manage its railway could be suspect.

Mrs Stationmaster and the Good Doctor appear to be enjoying themselves in Helsinki - where the first syllable seems spot on as regards the prices as two glasses of cider and a packet of nuts cost 17 quid - i don't think I'd have bothered with the nuts.  Laddo and I well no doubt be spending slightly more this evening as we're off to our favoured local Italian restaurant this evening.  He very generously paid last night in another eaterie - getting in quick no doubt saved him a few bob by leaving its as my turn tonight (the joint account will pay so I'm still smiling - unless herself has already spent it all in Finland of course).

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Livestock gets better treatment these days, especially when compared to the budget airports such as Luton.

Thing is though, cattle tend not to try carrying dangerous items onto aircraft................................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I need to complete my "father of the groom" speech, and somehow we have to be relaxed and composed by about 3PM to head to the airport and collect my brother ... AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! <shortness of breath>

Simple tip to a good speech.

ABC - XYZ

Always be cheerful and examine your zip.

Hope all goes well.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Speaches... Terrible at being in the spotlight. That's why I like being under the layout at shows!!

It's POETS so time for a beer. Well actually another one.edit sorry fordefying gravity but the forum software has changed and can't get it the right way up

post-1557-0-11777300-1505491223_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-40214100-1505491490_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

...But the real problem seems to have been the appalling mad scrummage to get off the platform with children and pregnant women being shoved aside or trampled underfoot - just where has commonsense gone I wonder?  

Watching the One o'clock news it seems that the passengers were "told" to run; hence the inevitable shoving and mishaps. As they could be seen de-training slowly down a ladder one at a time onto the track, and clearing a train this way is time consuming, it seems pointless to then tell them to "run". Smacks of Corporal Jones in charge, imho. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Speaches... Terrible at being in the spotlight. That's why I like being under the layout at shows!!

It's POETS so time for a beer. Well actually another one.edit sorry fordefying gravity but the forum software has changed and can't get it the right way up

How Much!!!!!

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Van collected, Hull visited, furniture and other items transported, lunch eaten ina small Italian restaurant on Chanterlands. Excellent food and the Calzone was perfect..and only £5!

Drove back home, van unloaded, tea eaten..next up drop Dr Eldest Herbert off at the station for the last train to Kings Cross. Let's see what sort of a up cock network detailed can do tonight..45 minutes late this am! Class 90 on the front, item on the line near Hatfield, then the train behind was given the path..wot a bunch of self opinionated overpaid results the NR senior and middle management are.

John, Hull is safe! Dr Eldest Herbert has left the City!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Still swooning at the price of beer in Roundhouseleand.

My walk around Raaamsey today was enlivened by watching recovery of the lifeboat - towed up the sand by a tracked submersible before being hauled onto its cradle-on-wheels.  I WANT one of those capertiller track tractors.  Badly.

Capertiller is an Ian-ism about here by the way, not a Spoonerism.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The reason for the closure of the tracks at Headstone Lane was the unstable wall could only be safely accessed from track side. The train bombing at Parson's Green has replaced virtually all other news. Amongst the items is the lorry driver involved in the fatal minibus accident (the one over the drink drive limit) has now been found to have had his licence revoked before the accident. And whats more there is no record of him at the address he gave.