The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Another short missive from the Charente.  It's still windy but the sun is making an appearance. The birthday girl was duly impressed with her breakfast and this photo has now appeared on Farcebook.

attachicon.gifP9132650.JPG

As you can see she has not let the burned hand spoil the day.....

Oh my God, it's Edith Piaf back from the dead  :O  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I had a chat with the state pensions people this morning. I did all my application stuff a few months ago. I reached state pension age recently. Now I know it is paid in arrears and the first payment is about 5 weeks after pension age but I noticed on my documentation that I should receive some sort of notification a few weeks before pension age date. A really helpful man took a few details and checked and it is still in the processing queue. He transferred it to an action queue as it is close to payment date. It must be the tail end of the baby boom!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Thst would be my response too nowadays. I notice that now we never need it we have "Complementary" AA Homestart added to our policy. At least the Ford Fiesta engine looks like an engine. The Land Rover (actually a Ford diesel) seems to be a lot of boxes with wires.

Luckily I have a real landrover with a landrover Engine in (200TDI) and no electronics to go wrong...

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A wild night last night.  Gusty and occasionally storm-force winds interspersed with heavy showers rattled everything loose and kept our huge trees busy.  New neighbours (upstairs) had friends around for dinner which got rather rowdy.  We asked them to remember they are living in close proximity to other people.  All went quiet after dinner but we were woken at 1.45am by an obviously drunk crowd of young people arriving back, clomping up the stairs, shouting, squealing, arguing and apparently throwing things around.  This went on until 3am when neighbour (top floor) was heard to come down, bang on their door and remind them she was trying to get some sleep.  Easier for her than for us as the two upper flats share a common stairwell inside a locked outer door.  We would have had to ring the outer doorbell ......  Offenders haven't surfaced yet but they will receive a written note from us (currently on their doormat) asking that they come and apologise tonight for keeping us not only awake but quite disturbed at the level of noise and the language it included.  If they don't take that seriously the next step is a letter to the managing agent who will readily remind them by way of a formal warning to abide by their tenancy conditions and be respectful and quiet neighbours.

Early alarm (refer to paragraph above) wasn't appreciated after that but I was up-and-at-'em for the interview with Clapham Junction's duty station managers.  I'll know in due course whether it went well but it seemed to go well enough.  SWMBO was very disgruntled over loss of sleep and didn't set off in a good mood.

Currently sunny with brisk and chilly wind.  More of the falling-down stuff is forecast later.

To all - have a good Wednesday / Humpday / Midweek.  Delete any which do not apply.  Best wishes

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Happy birthday Beth.

Apparently it was quite windy here last night so Mrs Stationmaster has informed me.   I slept through it although according to those who monitor such things we did in fact receive Force 8 (Gale Force) winds for an hour or two - no pile of leaves anywhere to confirm so maybe the muntjac have been out munching them (instead of stuff in the flower bed or veg patch).

I'm informed that today's faux Friday will now be demoted to a minor event and take place in Tesco instead of Waitrose - clearly laddo and I are being left to our own fate when the catering dept is away (and the local pubs and various food outlets will therefore benefit accordingly I expect).

Enjoy the rest of your day and may Aileen treat you kindly if she's heading your way.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Luckily I have a real landrover with a landrover Engine in (200TDI) and no electronics to go wrong...

The electrics in mine seem to be enclosed in some sort of automotive Tupperware. The Freelander engine area looks as if there is space for another engine when fitted with the 2.2 litre Ford diesel.

Land Rover now fit their own engines in things like the Discovery Sport. The same engine is in my neighbour's Evoque. It is one that requires AdBlue.

Tony

Is that a Mini?!? :mosking: It certainly could be with that amount of tin worm.

Close but no cigar. It's a Morris Minor. Over the years it has taken us to the Loire Valley, the I.O.M. and other places in the U.K.

I feel I owe it to Kate to at least try and restore her.  

post-276-0-01174600-1505307804.jpg

Descending a very steep track above Reeth in Swaledale. So steep, on the undulating assent I had to look out of the side window because the track had disappeared from view downwards under the bonnet. 

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 15

Afternoon all.

'twas windy here through the night.

And like Mike I slept through it. 

Well, until my youngest woke me up at 02:30 to let me know the power had gone off and could I get him a torch.

Happily he was able to point to it as it was only a few inches out of his reach.  :O

Thereafter I was able to monitor the weather for a number of hours as sleep eluded me.

Main concern was that the fish tank would cool and potentially damage the fish therein. So, got some water on the gas hob and topped them up a little at a time through the day.

We may be having a number of items from the freezer for tea tonight. Standby for an eclectic mix that may well bring a smile to the kids' faces.  

With no wifi I decided to start typing up some notes about one of my layouts with the residual power left in the laptop's battery. 

I got as far as "baseboard construction used 2x1 with a plywood top" but the battery ran out of juice before I could type "ballasting was done in the usual way with a 50:50 mix of PVA, water and a drop of washing up liquid."

I can see your eyes glazing over from here!   :jester:

Technically off-road?

Yes indeed. It gave me great pleasure when a Defender arrived near the top of the climb, near to my destination, a pair of miners cottages knocked into one. This fellow wanted to go on over the moor but could not work out how to get through the gate across the track which appeared would only open far enough to let walkers through. After much swearing and cussing to turn around I heard the driver say on departure "and there's even a bloody Morris Minor" up here! I felt so guilty not telling him all he had to do was lift the gate off its hinges to get through and remember to put it back afterwards. :angel:

• Like 1

Happy birthday Beth - Jamie, you certainly take your life in your hands, if I didn't get a thumbs-up from the Mrs before posting any picture of her, especially to farcebook, I'd be a dead man :triniti:  :butcher:

Good news already today from Rails - THIS has shipped :senile:

attachicon.gifR3598-33001-1.jpg

Now all I need is a decoder before it arrives - thinking of actually using a Soundtraxx Econami UK steam, I think it'd be "close enough" for me on one of the various settings available...

Last day before I take off until next Tuesday to handle the many and varied wedding preparations and functions - what chance out of 5 days, 3 of which are vacation, might I get some modeling time?!?!?!

17 already this morning driving in and expected to reach an unusual 28 for the high, about 10C above normal for this time of year...

Head over the HUMP and look forward to the weekend, enjoy the day.

Would look better with Rails on the sides.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Beth!

Her indoors does not "do" photographs.... On pain of a sharp object being used on my nether regions...

Trip to Coventry completed. Hettie that Navaid (and the BBC) were oblivious to stationary traffic on the M1.

Journey back was fine.

Mission accomplished in that a special part of this year's Warley demo area is now in process. All I will say is that it will be interesting to hear today's whingeandmoaners see what railway modelling was in the 1960s....

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Close but no cigar. It's a Morris Minor. Over the years it has taken us to the Loire Valley, the I.O.M. and other places in the U.K.

I feel I owe it to Kate to at least try and restore her.  

attachicon.gifIn Swaledale1.jpg

Descending a very steep track above Reeth in Swaledale. So steep, on the undulating assent I had to look out of the side window because the track had disappeared from view downwards under the bonnet. 

I can't see a Minor without thinking of wrinkled stockings appearing over the rear parcel shelf.   I was once at a committee meeting where one of the participants was a lady of a certain age in a tweed suit who looked and sounded like Dick Emery and introduced herself as 'Miss'.   In the coffee break one of the members told a story about a couple of pensioners who had set up for a picnic one lunchtime on the hard shoulder of the highest level of Spaghetti Junction.  He casually mentioned that the car was a Morris Minor.  The lady suddenly came out with "I lost my virginity on a Morris Minor".   Afterwards we all wanted to find the guy and award him a gallantry medal but because of this I can never look at a Moggy thou without thinking of the incident.

Jamie

PS Yes I'm still alive.

Yes indeed. It gave me great pleasure when a Defender arrived near the top of the climb, near to my destination, a pair of miners cottages knocked into one. This fellow wanted to go on over the moor but could not work out how to get through the gate across the track which appeared would only open far enough to let walkers through. After much swearing and cussing to turn around I heard the driver say on departure "and there's even a bloody Morris Minor" up here! I felt so guilty not telling him all he had to do was lift the gate off its hinges to get through and remember to put it back afterwards. :angel:

There are a couple of YouTube videos that suggest the CX has off-road capabilities too, mainly due to its suspension  :sungum:  - not sure I'll be allowed to try that out on Saturday....

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of YouTube videos that suggest the CX has off-road capabilities too, mainly due to its suspension  :sungum:  - not sure I'll be allowed to try that out on Saturday....

Until today I thought the off road sat nav on my car switched on when it wasn't near a road. It seems that it is necessary to press a button. I shall try this next time I go out.

Judge D mentioned having to look out if the side windows on a steep slope. We were on an off road experience. I was sitting in the back of a Discovery Sport . This has a large glass roof section in the rear. Aditi launched the car down a 45° slope. The view through the roof was quite "interesting".

Tony

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Hope Beth's burn is healing well - oil burns can be deep.

Hope Jamie's head is healing well, frying pan bruises can be deep.

The centre of the storm passed directly over us last night - it was dead still for quite some time - the rain was biblical though.  No real gales at all, just typical as it was forecast for 55 - 65 mph!

Mrs NHN photos are rare too online, she has a selection of pans that are quite substantial stainless jobs - leave deep bruises. But....

post-10195-0-02629300-1505326236_thumb.jpg

PS - she's out!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 9

I can't see a Minor without thinking of wrinkled stockings appearing over the rear parcel shelf.   I was once at a committee meeting where one of the participants was a lady of a certain age in a tweed suit who looked and sounded like Dick Emery and introduced herself as 'Miss'.   In the coffee break one of the members told a story about a couple of pensioners who had set up for a picnic one lunchtime on the hard shoulder of the highest level of Spaghetti Junction.  He casually mentioned that the car was a Morris Minor.  The lady suddenly came out with "I lost my virginity on a Morris Minor".   Afterwards we all wanted to find the guy and award him a gallantry medal but because of this I can never look at a Moggy thou without thinking of the incident.

Jamie

PS Yes I'm still alive.

It is said by the owners that M.M.O.C. Morris Minor Owners Club does actually stand for My Mother's Old Car!

As to the part of your posting regarding s*x, my wife will not allow me to make any kind of statement other than "No comment". 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Congrats and commiserations as required.

My daily commute is fairly c*ckwomble free, but today was one of those days. I'm normally fairly calm when it comes to traffic matters having spent a large proportion of 2003-2017 on the road.

I cross the  A65 Settle bypass to access the road across Rathmell bottoms (Jamie will know exactly which road). There were a few more vehicles than normal turning into it from the opposite direction, which usually means a traffic incident between Settle and Long Preston. As I turned in - underneath a 12 foot clearance bridge under the Settle Junction-Carnforth line, a coach was coming the other way and just pulling up with the driver sharing a joke with her passengers along the lines of "Oh look, we won't fit under there" and stopping to hold up traffic in both directions. There was a large queue of traffic behind the coach as it was all coming the other way whilst diverting from the same road blockage.

Our line of cars managed to pass, leaving a lot of vehicles going the other way with very unhappy looks on their faces as there was precious little room for the coach to turn round on a narrow road. ANd more vehicles arriving by the minute.

It would indeed, not fit. She had clearly passed the sign about two miles previous warning of a low bridge. What was even more galling was that the coach was from Ingleton, just a few miles up the A65 and the driver would be expected to have reasonable local knowledge. A henwomble of the highest order.

There was indeed a road incident adjacent to Settle Junction signal box with at least two emergency vehicles in attendance and long queues of standing traffic either side of them. I hope those involved are OK, although there was a radio traffic report of an air ambulance being used.

Nearer home, I detoured to pick up supplies at a supermarket and was confronted with a huge number of cars parked on the pavement on both sides of the road about 400 yards in advance of the local grammar school. This evening must be the annual entrance exams (basically 11 plus), which attracts a large number of parents plus offspring from a considerable distance away. Many of whom would not realise that they've parked on a bus route. There was only just enough room for two cars to pass, never mind the bus coming the other way. Another queue ensued, but eventually squeezed past, but the Transit behind me had no chance.

I can only hope that a few lot of cockwomble cars had their mirrors taken off.

Rant over.

The good news was delivery of a very well priced sound fitted Bachmann 37025 to bolster my test train loco roster.

Further good news in that I'll be taking my layout to Hazel Grove exhibition at the end of October as a short-notice fill in. My boss is very understanding of my requests to shuffle days off to fit it in.

Tomorrow is a day off and three of us are going on yet another photo recon to Peak Forest for our in-build club layout. 

There is a yellow train due into the Peak area tomorrow, with the promise of a non-freight train on the Hindlow branch. Cameras are suitably charged with spare memory,

Have a good Thursday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1