The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

[quote name="Purley Oaks" post="2852022" timestamp="1505229874"

Edinburgh is planning on introducing a congestion charge for diesels within 3 years...

I hope they are going to pay that on their buses as well!!!

The price crash doesn't apply to defenders though!!!

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/land-rover-defender-is-still-a-good-investment-1-8474587

• Like 1

Evening all.

Slightly tiring day, shopping and scoping out architrave and skirting. Yaaawn.

Neighbour Elisabeth knocked this morning to ask if we liked mushrooms. We do. She's been out collecting in the field where the cows were. Later she brought us this huge bucket with 2kg of pieds-de-mouton. Used some for soup for dinner, some frozen for lunch, still a huge amount for omelettes, sauces and so on. Kind thought.

post-17799-0-49167500-1505238481_thumb.jpg

Then, whilst we were eating, this little chap turned up at the kitchen window:

post-17799-0-85684800-1505238548_thumb.jpg

And in case you were wondering, at these prices it's no surprise the Whelkmen prefer their duvets:

post-17799-0-48903300-1505238703_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Greetings one and all....Bon soir........Bikes sorted and back with us, now with the correct amount I brake fluid in the master cylinder!

Gave it a bit of a run up and test, so all seems ok, great BMW dealer in Lanester, near Lorient and made a new friend there into the bargain.

Off out now for oysters, mussels and in true French tradition....-Anything else that can be trawled from the ocean floor.

Tres Bon.

But where did the fluid go, Neil?  I'd want to know.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A few years ago it was like a classic car show around here. I had a rare (about two dozen left) Reliant Kitten van. The neighbour opposite had a VW type 2 camper, on the other corner there was a Citroen DS and a bit further down the road was a Hillman Imp and an early Mini. There are none now, I sold my van on when I realised that I was unlikely ever to get it back on the road myself. The chap with the VW camper moved away as he needed a larger house for his growing family. The Citroen DS was scrapped, it had belonged to a friend of the house owners grandson who couldn't be traced and the elderly lady house owner sold up and went into a care home. It was so rotten that when they went to tow it away it buckled in the middle. The owner of the Imp died and the Mini owner moved away. A classic car would be nice but unless you are willing (and able) to maintain them yourself they can be expensive to run.

And in case you were wondering, at these prices it's no surprise the Whelkmen prefer their duvets:

attachicon.gifIMG_0024.jpg

The salmon looks as pricey as it is here - but wish that we could get the whelks and other shellfish often exported from Scotland to France and Spain. Probably not whelks so much come to think of it, but mussels, oysters, langoustines, lobsters et al. Enjoy while you can!

Mal

• Like 10

Can't wait for Saturday:

attachicon.gifs-l500 (3).jpg

attachicon.gifs-l1600 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifs-l1600 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifs-l1600 (5).jpg

I really hope he'll be open to an offer.....

Meanwhile, not too far away from Tony_S and PhilJ_W are a collection of DSs up for grabs. Anyone want an original DS? Even at eleven grand each, they're way out of my price bracket!

I checked the website for the DS sales, it says they have "over 8". That could be nine or a hundred and sixty four, or anything you want. I do wish sellers would be more accurate.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 1

A classic car would be nice but unless you are willing (and able) to maintain them yourself they can be expensive to run.

I could not agree more. In the past I have attended many rallys and admired wonderful rebuilds to be seen there but the truth was, in many cases, for some owners the greatest effort was opening their wallets.

I am in the process now of saving the beer tokens to pay for a slight case of rot brought on by a flooded garage.  

post-276-0-01298800-1505247058.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Your lucky it wasn't an American spell checker.. Middlesboro...

Got to make a reply on spell-checkers.  The bane of my name is that the spell-checker always changes it from its correct spelling by changing the 'y' to an 'i' and this even after correcting it as it goes to print.  Macs are difficult to add 'proper' words to its dictionary and every time I do minutes I have to correct Xn names because of spell-checker.  It even tried to change a word I typed in this response ...

Peter

Evening all. Firstly a round of greetings and wishes - firstly to Blackrat, who I hope has recovered from the scary moment with the (lack of) brakes. Secondly to Beth - I hope the burns are not too bad.

My sympathies to those who have suffered from a lack of sleep. Once again I had that problem last night. This led to a very difficult day at work with the expected lack of energy. Not what I needed when I knew that I was encountering a very challenging class today. At first my fears proved well founded, but I managed to sort them out within the first ten minutes or so and the afternoon ran quite well.

Was it the thought of facing this class that led to the lack of sleep you may ask? I doubt it. However work was probably to blame. As some of you may know, my current role is a temporary, supply post until Christmas. The job will become available beyond should I wish to apply. I expected that later this half term I would have to make that decision. However, last night I discovered the advert for the post. The closing date is next Friday. That does not give me long to decide. I guess that was the reason for the lack of sleep.

Tonight I brought home a small amount of marking home but decided to leave it until tomorrow and headed out to the church model railway group to do a bit of modelling. Nice to catch up with an old mate there too.

Take care all.

• Like 1

Ivan,

Not much space for transporting a layout.

Or a horse!

There is a towbar on the back.....

....A classic car would be nice but unless you are willing (and able) to maintain them yourself they can be expensive to run.

The only fly in the CX ointment is the cost of new spares. Almost all of the available NOS parts were hoovered up by a profiteering German outfit called CX-Basis (look them up on Google). They are basically the Gosturds of the CX world; their price tags are eye-watering. 80 Euros for a plastic bootlid badge, for example. Even the rabid Dutch CX enthusiasts think twice about paying those prices. They will end up killing the very industry that they set out in business to supply.

....Neighbour Elisabeth knocked this morning to ask if we liked mushrooms. We do. She's been out collecting in the field where the cows were. Later she brought us this huge bucket with 2kg of pieds-de-mouton. Used some for soup for dinner, some frozen for lunch, still a huge amount for omelettes, sauces and so on. Kind thought.

attachicon.gifIMG_0030.jpg...

The old joke is at least partly true: mushrooms do grow well when fed plenty of sh** - hopefully yours have been thoroughly washed :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Good evening all

This afternoon, whilst drinking my cup of tea, I went on the Hattons website and ordered myself one of those lovely P Class locos in SECR green.

After tea, went went to the Trafford Centre to pick up a couple of click and collect and Sheila wanted to pick up a couple of things too. So I went to collect the packages and she went off for the stuff she wanted. We were back home in just over 30 minutes, now that's the sort f shopping trip I like.

I've driven diesel cars for work for quite some time now, but when I bought my car a few weeks ago, I made sure that I got a petrol engine, as I knew that most of my driving will only be short journeys, 5 miles or less and that sort of driving is no good for Diesel engines at all.

Time for bed now, goodnight all.

• Like 17

Small boy watching delivery to garden of house next door, to second small boy, living in said house "What's that?".

Second small boy "Manure - Dad puts it on our rhubarb."

First small boy "That's weird. We put custard on ours."

• Like 2

I could not agree more. In the past I have attended many rallys and admired wonderful rebuilds to be seen there but the truth was, in many cases, for some owners the greatest effort was opening their wallets.

I am in the process now of saving the beer tokens to pay for a slight case of rot brought on by a flooded garage.  

attachicon.gifP1040054.JPG

Where did you find my Citroen Ami 6 Estate?

• Like 2

Two extremes:

post-9016-0-26390400-1505268638.jpg

I wonder what poor old Ron is thinking.....

post-9016-0-31510500-1505268735_thumb.jpg

Lives in your neck of the woods, Rick. If I remember rightly The Artwoods (Art was his brother) played their share of gigs at Eel Pie Island.

Best, Pete.

• Like 18