The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Cloudy, chill wind.

Thanks for the wind warning, DD!  Nothing new there, then!

4 o'clock video call from GD's dad, planned for today   :sungum:

and more tidying up, beforehand.

Hope your day goes well.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from Upon the Hill where Sunday is currently living up to its name. Birds are twittering in the trees. SWMBO is still asleep. Nothing else is stirring making for a lovely quiet start to the day.

There are no trains running either due to the Orange People doing something on the line at Richmond. I know full well they are running from Fulwell so I shall stride out in that direction later bound for a meeting in Southwark.

Wishing you all a good day whether it be church, alcohack or other duty of choice.

• Like 15

Here in the land of the Great Northern Haggis, the weather is grey, grotty, and DAMP! - best described by a wonderful Scottish word - DREICH! Assuming that this "Winter is coming!" feeling spreads throughout the land, lets see if I can brighten your day - a little something from a friend in Canada, that was sitting in my email inbox when I opened up this morning!

Stay with this one - It will really bring a smile!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oXvJ8UquYoo

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 4

You were missed Andy as the three of us were chatting and wondered if you were there. A great day as far as I'm concerned although the wallet is a bit lighter as I bought some things with wheels on, one that pulls, 2 that are pulled and carry passengers and one that carries fuel. Also bought some things with wires and pins to make things that pull  -  go.

There you go, I didn't mention the T word.  :locomotive:   :yes:

Some nice layouts there and I particularly liked Addison Park, 3mm set in 1950s West London with surface and tube stock and trolley buses.

I will almost certainly be going to Aldershot in October.

Now going to play with some things with wheels on and then rest up ready for tomorrow's trip to Swindon. :imsohappy:

I was sorry not to have made it over to see you all. Minor victory achieved on the paperwork front after a protracted battle with a financial institution. 

I've flagged up the Aldershot show with swmbo. Saturday late morning will be the most likely. It's also her significant birthday, so I'll need to swing past a garage to get some flowers on the way home. :scratchhead:  :blackeye:  

I saw that 81C mentioned the catering at Woking, which if memory serves is that for the sports centre itself. 

I seem to remember that the Aldershot show catering is organised by the Lions / Roundtable and better for it.  

Back to the paperwork for now....

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Great pictures of Ben, number 3 is my favourite, the only one it seems where he stayed still long enough. I too remember trolleybuses from my distant youth though there were none where I was bought up they weren't to far away at Ilford and Barking. Some of the trolleybuses were quite exotic with tinted windows on the upper deck. These were intended for South Africa but were prevented for export because of the war. One set of grandparents moved to St. Leonards near Hastings in the early fifties and the trolleybuses passed at the end of their road. I found them a bit disappointing compared to the London ones having only 4 wheels and not much different to the diesel buses, that is until I managed to get a ride on 'Happy Harold' the vintage open top 6 wheeler. At the same time my other grandparents lived in Abbey Wood in South London where the trolleybuses passed right by their door. Problem was their house was at a lower level than the road, the upper floor of the house was level with the pavement. They were the first of my relatives to have a TV set but reception due to the low position of the house was dire, not helped by the 'snowstorm' every time a trolleybus went by.

• Like 16

Here's a trolley that went to Spain after finishing service in London. Now at the London Bus museum after a rebuild at the "rear". The rear platform and staircase where turned around for right hand running in Spain and now have been "restored". My photo dates from 2010 but if you search for the Sandtoft museum you will find a photo of this vehicle before it left there.

post-276-0-37653100-1505042619.jpg

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Here in the land of the Great Northern Haggis, the weather is grey, grotty, and DAMP! - best described by a wonderful Scottish word - DREICH! Assuming that this "Winter is coming!" feeling spreads throughout the land, lets see if I can brighten your day - a little something from a friend in Canada, that was sitting in my email inbox when I opened up this morning!

Stay with this one - It will really bring a smile!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oXvJ8UquYoo

Great!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

After our usual Sunday morning lie-in, I've so far spent the day in the cellar putting away all the spoils I purchased yesterday, all done now. The weather here is miserable, so far it's been dry but very windy (outside), but I get the distinct impression that it will rain any minute, in fact I thought is was starting a few minutes ago when I went down to the workshop.

Chrisf. The RG4 motor that I picked up yesterday was in the corner of the glass case at the far end of the table, which housed several locomotives, I almost didn't spot it! I've been quite lucky recently with some of my finds.

Time for a cup of tea.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Well that was a dead loss.  First herself needed some shopping and she came too so my slightly late start turned into a 60 minute+ late start, then it turned out to be National Cockwomble Day on the roads - no wonder some of them were overtaken by cyclists.  So I duly arrived at Pigs Hill slap bang in the middle of the afternoon 'shop wandering' rush and the first car park queue, which I quickly left, was a virtually immobile 400 yards long.  Knowing  my way round that neck of the woods I therefore went to the car park queue at the other entrance - but to the same car park; and that was even longer.  Next attempt was the other car park, but that was also full therefore I decided discretion (and hunger) were the better part of enthusiasm and headed for the M4 heading eastwards.

Looking on the bright(er) side that makes this the third show I have missed in the past 3 months that I really wanted to go to so at least the three have happened and I should be alright for the next one. And on an even brighter note I can of course think of all the money I have inevitably saved so I'll have to find another way to spend it I suppose.

And apart from a few 'almost showers' the rain stayed off for my entire journey and the ultimate cockwomble was only encountered in Reading on the way home although actually my suspicion was that he'd probably been on the pop because after driving around most of the time at 20 mph the last of his 'driving' which I saw was when he pulled out in front of someone on a roundabout and very nearly collected a hefty collision; strangely the name on his car said 'SWIFT' - the biggest misnomer I have come across in a long while.

Here in France, good journey apart from one coquewombelleuse who decided to cut in front of me at 80mph...

Trolley buses - we used to use them to go to Croydon and Kingston (apparently I went on the trams as a toddler). I have a memory of rushing to the front to sit alongside (almost) the driver - is that correct? I do remember the acceleration and the noise as the driver wound it up.

• Like 18

Chrisf. The RG4 motor that I picked up yesterday was in the corner of the glass case at the far end of the table, which housed several locomotives, I almost didn't spot it! I've been quite lucky recently with some of my finds.

Don't worry about it.  That will not be the first nor last time I don't spot a bargain under my nose.  I am happy with having garnered a couple of wagon kits.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Managed to catch up while 30747 is inspecting eyelids.  Everybody's contribution has been read and rated, and the usual greetings are scattered to those who need or want them.

Loved the pics of Ben - and I am sure that they stirred the heart of a certain Collie Loving returnee - and most welcome back she is, too.  And with sense of humour clearly intact and honed. 

As for today, I had hoped for some me time, after waking early, and finding that there were no car boots on today that we wanted to visit.  However, that soon changed, as there was a call of "you know that glass cabinet that we got yesterday, well the chalk paint's in that bag over there" so three coats of chalk paint later...

Dog walking here today has been fitted in between the showers which have been very heavy at times.  The second phase of the ear treatment is due at the vet's tomorrow - more beer/modelling tokens not available for their proper use, though I fully expect that the insurance will kick in this time.  I must say that given the vet fees these days I'd never own a dog without insurance for them.  Indeed, I'd exhort any pet owner to look into the additional cover which some vets offer to cover all the flea, worming, and innoculations by a monthly payment on DD.  Saves a bit, and spreads the cost.

I do remember the trolley buses in Glasgow, and also the trams there and in Edinburgh.  Many of my bus memories are recounted elsewhere - high speed runs on PD3s and the like.

Back tomorrow as I'm starving, and I do fancy a bacon and egg sarnie, having seen Tony and Matthew tucking in.  Perhaps no champers though.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 18

Hooray. Paperwork and other duties complete. Let the weekend commence. Oh...

Trams: I don't have any direct experience but a great uncle told me that as a young lad he and his mate used to get hold of a concoction that when compressed gave out a "bang". 

They used to put a small amount of it on the tram metals and wait for a tram to pass over. "Phut." 

They obviously experimented and discovered, as young lads are want to, that the more jollop they used the louder the resulting bang.

Experiments continued until one day the resulting "BANG" was enough for the tram driver to bring his tram to a very swift halt and get out to investigate the cause! 

He used to tell quite a lot of potentially tall stories. 

Horses and their gear boxes: Having only ridden a horse once (and it was quite an old one) my experience is limited. Nevertheless on the ride "out" slow seemed to be the only speed and on the way back, as the horse's lunchtime approached, it continued at "slow". My conclusion was that as it knew the route inside out it saw no reason to either accelerate or decelerate as neither would influence the proximity of lunchtime.   

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. I can just remember riding on the trams in London. It was a visit to some of the countless relatives in Southeast London. (My dad was the eldest of six.) I can even tell you it was 1951 because I remember that my sister born in that year was still a babe in arms. I don't know the route number but it was the route from Woolwich Arsenal to Eltham, I distinctly remember the road and tramtracks splitting to pass either side of a large building. The tram itself was almost certainly one of those refurbished just pre-war as it had upholstered seats rather than the usual wooden ones. I would have been about 3 years old at the time and even that is not my oldest memory.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

I've informed Ben of your admiration, he seems to appreciate it...

He spent the day supervising me. While I put another two layers of blocks on the wall and it's now at it full height. During breaks Ben came over for a cuddle / back scratch / ball throw as he choose.

The wall now just requires smoothing off a bit before painting.... I wonder what the equivalent of Suffolk pink is for Norfolk.....

During the day it got windier and windier it also got cloudier. But so far it hasn't rained...

I can remember Bournemouth trolley busses and looking it up they stopped in 1969. So that was some time ago.. SWMBO's uncle was a tram, then trolley, then bus driver ( Rotherham / Sheffield) sadly he died last year. We did take him to Carlton Colville transport museum for a trip onThe trams and trolley busses there, the year before and he enjoyed the visit.

• Like 16