The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Please don't read this post if you are having a meal!

My late father worked as an officer in the Prison Service until he retired in the mid 80's.

From time to time they would get a new inmate from the alcoholics that grace many city centres.

The favourite tipple of some of these characters was drinking meths mixed 50/50 with VP wine. One side effect of this drink is apparently to lose control of your nether regions.

These blokes would arrive in heavily oiled clothes - the only thing that could be done with their underwear and trousers was to dispose of them ASAP. They would then be given a warm bath with lots of strong soap to try and clean them up before issuing prison clothing!

So fellow ER's you now know one tipple to avoid :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Cheers folks,

Dave

• Like 7

So fellow ER's you now know one tipple to avoi.

Similarly, the result of coal gas (pre-North Ssa gas) being bubbled through milk. (Not from direct personal experience, you understand!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Desperate people have been known to drink all kinds of substances containing some alcohol. The trend for hand gel dispensers for medical hygiene in hospital public areas provided a source of alcohol. Most are now filled with a non alcohol based product.

It is the additives to meths (it is mainly ethanol) that cause the unpleasant effects. The methanol, pyradine and other substances make it supposedly undrinkable. 95% ethanol is available for purchase for drinking in parts of North America. I only know this has Matthew told me!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Amazing what you learn on here....

Thanks for all the good wishes, been back out on the bike today for a good ride, banish the demons.  Pretty achey though now, seized in fact!

Accident in the racing today had us worried, as the race was red flagged for ages - we were thinking a fatal.  Turns out he hit a lamp post which fell into the road, and they had to await an electrician to make it safe!  Rider has a bad leg but otherwise OK as far as has been reported.  Road racing...never fails to throw something unusual.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Someone gave us a fondue set for Xmas 12 years ago.

I've always wondered what to do with it.

Thanks for that.

You put it in the kitchen cupboard with the Breville Sandwich Toaster and the George Foreman grill that are gathering dust there.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

You put it in the kitchen cupboard with the Breville Sandwich Toaster and the George Foreman grill that are gathering dust there.

Jamie

We use our toaster and grill.

It's the ice cream maker and bread maker that take their place in the cupboard

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Jamie

When Breville sandwich toasters were first out, MiL had one. MiL asked Aditi if she would like one. Aditi quite liked the idea of toasty snacks so said yes please. What turned up was not a Breville. It was some copy that a friend of Mil's who had a warehouse had imported. I am sure it was hotter on the outside than the inside. MiL tried to say it was just as good as the Breville. Aditi said perhaps she should take the "old Breville" and let her Mum have the "lovely " new one.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

Jamie

Apropos  the conversation over dinner, I use the Breville in preference to the oven grill!

Bill

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I used to say it was for my Chemistry Set.

They don't seem to make Chemistry Sets anymore.

They are still available but no longer include the items for making loud bangs or nasty smells. Nowadays they contain such things as prisms for making pretty colours.

• RMweb Gold

We use our toaster and grill.

It's the ice cream maker and bread maker that take their place in the cupboard

Cheers,

Mick

We do have an ice cream maker, it doesn't get used often. We are on our second bread maker. It gets used a lot. We have a panini maker (the more recent version of the sandwich toaster) that only gets used when Matthew is at home.

Since Aditi retired, one kitchen appliance that came back into use has been the Kenwood Chef we bought in 1978. However doing something to Seville oranges earlier this year was a task too far for its elderly motor and it went bang and let lots of smoke out. I bought a motor and control upgrade and restored it. It makes very good cakes!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

.. Nowadays they contain such things as prisms for making pretty colours.

Very important part of chemistry! Much of my Chemical Physics degree involved spectroscopy. We especially liked the pretty colours. Much nicer than messing around with X-rays!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

They are still available but no longer include the items for making loud bangs or nasty smells. Nowadays they contain such things as prisms for making pretty colours.

Very important part of chemistry! Much of my Chemical Physics degree involved spectroscopy. We especially liked the pretty colours. Much nicer than messing around with X-rays!

Ooh prisms.  Another reminder of my past as an alleged geologist.  Optical mineralogy involved lots of pretty colours.  The extinction angle (where your pretty colour turned black) was diagnostic and identified the mineral without fail.  Like fingerprints every one is unique.  Just don't ask me to remember any of it now without delving into my well-thumbed copy of "Rutley's Elements of Mineralogy".  The bible for such things.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Desperate people have been known to drink all kinds of substances containing some alcohol. The trend for hand gel dispensers for medical hygiene in hospital public areas provided a source of alcohol. Most are now filled with a non alcohol based product.

It is the additives to meths (it is mainly ethanol) that cause the unpleasant effects. The methanol, pyradine and other substances make it supposedly undrinkable. 95% ethanol is available for purchase for drinking in parts of North America. I only know this has Matthew told me!

It may have started as 100% but as soon as it is exposed to the air water vapour is absorbed and it soon ceases to be 100% hence 'sold' as 95%.  I certainly came across those who drank it among the homeless in San Francisco.

Edited by PeterBB

Thanks then, to my old school^ mate, Isaac Newton !  Forget about the bl**dy apple, please !

'The world was all in darkness, hid from sight; God said "let Newton be" and all was light' !

In fairness, he had left^ quite some years before I arrived there....

• Like 5

I used to say it was for my Chemistry Set.

They don't seem to make Chemistry Sets anymore.

They are still available but no longer include the items for making loud bangs or nasty smells. ....

Possibly because they didn't want them to be used for, errm, "radical" purposes in today's climate.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Before I retired I used to give Christmas presents to my colleagues young children, at the time that was two boys 5 and 6 years old and a girl of 12. Selecting a present for the boys was easy but I found it difficult to select one for the girl. Then I happened upon a science kit with the prisms and a few other light experiments which I gave to her. As it turned out her favourite school subject was science and the present was much appreciated.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

busy day fitting and wiring up uncoupling magnets on Chapel en le Frith. Also been shopping and.....avoiding cockwomble drivers..yep holidays are over!

Sleep well /have a nice day depending on where you are on Planet Earth

Baz

• Like 17

There's just no sense to this modelling lark..........

So, .............I decide to have a clear out, took 12 blue grey my 1's, 4 car blue grey emu, blue class 37 to model shop to flog.

All unused mint and boxed.

First of the many to go, make space, clear out items I won't be using or don't have a need for as ideas and projects change.......

Came home with a 121 and 71, and I still can't work out why!

Suppose it will give me something to part-ex in a year or so's time!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rick, I cannot beat your description (no pun intended) - the mind boggles.

Rutley's rings a bell but in my time at Kingston De Scetter (oops spelling of his name incorrect but I cannot remember exactly just how it was spelt) was the bible for petrology (its still in the loft somewhere).  Many hours were also spent on drawing fossils 'to enable identification' as well as the 'pretty colours'. I too still have my original field work sheets from mapping although I ended up in chemistry rather than geology elsewhere.  This largely because I became SU secretary 'forgot' to study and also undertook some PT work. The field work was what I enjoyed most at the time and grew to really like the area to the extent that on my last visit I thought of buying a place, build a model railway and charge tourists to visit.  The place in question I had known from the 60s but when visited I was extremely disappointed because it had become a run-down shell and needed far too much renovation.

The area had changed beyond recognition RORO series instead of the George V, mains electricity on the islands - a plus - and of course the 'ruined' station area ...  I no longer 'liked' Oban itself.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

I've not done any modelling at all today, but I have been busy making things. I made a curry sauce this morning, but I made sure they was enough (now frozen) for when No2 son and his fiancé come round for tea next month. Then this afternoon I made a carrot cake ready for when the grandchildren come round for tea tomorrow, instead of Friday. Once the cake was finished, I then used the remains of the curry sauce a make chicken Kashmiri for our tea tonight.

This evening was then spent relaxing, with a pint of golden sheep, I think I deserved that one!

Goodnight all

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I think Aditi knows enough about geology and tried to interest Matthew when young and managed to put him off for life.

I can remember another incident ...

We were having a meal at a friend's and someone else's new girlfriend was there. The host made the mistake of asking the young lady what she did. Instead of just replying "geologist " she went into a very long and technical description of her work. Aditi said "so basically you look at rocks". Aditi wouldn't normally be rude to someone but the other person had been a bit dismissive of teachers earlier.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18