The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I remember meeting a bishop once at a model railway exhibition. I was operating a layout that had a few 'saucy' scenic items on it. I was pointing some of them out to some punters when I looked up to see a bishop viewing the layout. :blush: :blush: :blush: Fortunately he found it amusing. Quite surprised when I went out about ten this morning to find the roads almost empty, even the A13 at Sadlers Farm roundabout! First off was to go to the toy fair at Rayleigh where one of the traders had the latest Oxford Diecast offering on display. This was the Beadle chassisless coach in East Kent livery, lucky to find one as like the Hornby Peckett they didn't remain on the shelves for very long.

• Like 16

A good day with plenty of sun and I even enjoyed watching the GP.

I was trying to keep myself up to date with the rest of the forum but the wifi connection here was overloaded making it impossible for the pages to load.

Back later (I hope)

• RMweb Premium

burnt to a crisp.. interesting game, excellent tea... pint of Naylors' Liquorice libation drunk...off to play trains tomorrow at a secret location on a secret layout......

ooh err!

Sleep well all!

baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Time for an early night methinks and hopefully out first thing to the workshop, unless we have a lie-in!

Goodnight all.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

ER is good for good memories ... once met the then Archbishop of Canterbury when our band played at Lambeth Palace.  He was quite amenable to fellow band members and took part with some on what we would now call 'Selfies' but then a pose with a camera.  A very enjoyable afternoon as always when playing.  Well ...  

That's given another memory.  There we were marching in the Kings Cross area when suddenly there was a clash of thunder followed by a burst of  torrential rain.  As you can imaging we were soaked through in no time and of course there was no-one on the streets to listen so we 'rasped away'.   We were not so comfortable playing in the concert that followed this publicity march.  This also brings to mind Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  It was a Sunday afternoon in the 60s and the publicity band to advertise this great new film was marching along Wrythe Lane by St Helier Hospital (Grandad Bob might know this place) when the same thing happened to them.  No I didn't get wet but observed them from a theatre window.

Thanks again guys for the trigger, Peter 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, folks!

Gosh, what a turbulent day this Sunday has been. But the important thing is that our little girl Annika is now with us, and that everyone is well and healthy – even if exhausted.

Deffo needing some shut-eye now, so, apologies for brevity and I hope to resurface some time on Monday!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Congrats Dom and foremost of course Elise. I was just thinking today we hadn't heard from you in a while and with the impending birth I put 2 and 2 together. Now I'm glad to learn the outcome was indeed 4 ;)

Anyway, enjoy it while it lasts, she's 21 in record time! ;)

Mine is 21 in 5 months time...... Only seems like a few years ago.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, folks!

Gosh, what a turbulent day this Sunday has been. But the important thing is that our little girl Annika is now with us, and that everyone is well and healthy – even if exhausted.

Deffo needing some shut-eye now, so, apologies for brevity and I hope to resurface some time on Monday!

Hearty congratulations from the Hill of Strawberries.  Welcome to the world Annika.

• Like 5

Cheers, folks!

Congratulations to Elise.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was there ever a class of locmotives named after bishops?  I think one individual loco made it.

Don't think I ever met a bishop but I may have been in the same room with some. Our college at university was named after the Bishop of Moosenee. Come to think of it, our dean of residence later became Bishop of Toronto.

• Like 13

With several members of our extended family living in and around Houston, we're watching the news from south Texas closely. So far, everyone is OK, but with the hurricane stalled over the area and pulling moisture in from the Gulf, it's not over by any means yet. They're forecasting up to 1.25 metres of rain in some places before it's finished. We've seen the effects of 30 centimetres in 12 hours on the city of Houston on a previous visit - I can hardly imagine what 125 centimetres would look like. 

Good morning one and all and happy families to Dom and Elise

Amid yesterday's unspecified pottering the laundry seems to have got done and I can barely contain my excitement at the prospect of doing the ironing tomorrow.  Fifty-odd years ago some idiot would have made a pop record called "Do The Ironing" and it would have taken off like a new dance craze.  I cannot begin to imagine the steps.

What does the week ahead hold?  In the diary I find a visit to Poorly Pal on Thursday and a concert on Sunday at The Stables with Martin and Eliza Carthy.  Thursday is likely to include my only bit of m*d*ll*ng this month.  Serves me right for going on holiday, I suppose.  I had better ask PP what he wants for lunch because tomorrow is fodder run day.  I also need to find half an hour tomorrow to fetch the local Sunday paper because for the first tine in three weeks the delivery brat has defaulted.  I expect to stay at home today because there is nowhere I particularly want to go.  In a couple of weeks I will have my fill of the motorway network because the only sensible way to reach Expo Autumn is by road as it is in such a silly place.  To get the awful pun out of the way now, Partington is such sweet sorrow.  You may groan.

Warm thoughts and best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris 

• Like 18

Morning All,

First of all, congratulations to Dom and Elise on the birth of Annika.

We have a nice bright morning in this part of the world.

Oh well - better get on.  I have rather a lot to do today.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Congratulations to Dom and Elise on the new arrival.

Generic greetings to everybody else.

Off out car booting again.

Back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12