The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Weather wise it turned out to be a decent day with a high of 21 degrees.

A few modelling tokens were spent at Buffers followed by a relaxing afternoon in the sun.

I had a walk into the village this evening for some proper pub food and a couple of pints of the local ale. For some reason the walk back took far longer than the walk there.

A trip into Exeter tomorrow.

Night all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

5 of the 8 scenic boards of the club layout powered up for the first time tonight.

All worked first time.

Celebratory nightcap being consumed.

Have a good Hump day folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

... i.e. we had a partial solar eclipse. I expect we will get more pictures from RMWebbers in the US, where there was a path of totality across the whole country.

This wasn't too successful. You couldn't see much detail, plus there was still a definite "ghost" in your vision after you looked away.

Best way to see it was using binoculars and projecting the image onto a sheet of paper, recommended by the CBC science correspondent. (That's how that first image was produced.) 

We also tried something else I'd read about. We took a metal colander, held it up to the sun and again projected the image on to paper. Each hole in the colander acts as a pinhole camera and projects a separate image. Not great for detail, but makes an interesting design:

I used three devices to view the eclipse

1. cheap cardboard frames (rather like the red+blue 3D glasses) with solar filters - these were sold ubiquitously, including by supermarkets for about $2; a bit surprisingly to me, these were really effective - Amazon sold shoddy knock-offs for which they eventually refunded people
  2. binoculars with solar filters over the main optics - these worked quite well, though it could be tricky to locate the sun - I wore a straw hat that gave me a bit of an idea where to point them - at one point I accidentally got a glance taking the binoculars away from my eyes and my retinas did not like it one little bit, though the effects seem to be temporary
  3. a small reflecting telescope (with tripod) with a solar filter over the non-mirror, open end - this was the most effective, though it did require a lot of tending to reposition it every few minutes or so - the telescope had a pin-hole sight, which worked adequately
  • Like 14

One interesting option is that the STUPID SUPER BOWL is being held here in February and places are renting for large sums for that week. Several estimates suggest we could get about $10,000 - $15,000 for the 10-14 days around the event. Since it's a full four bedroom place and we're just 10 miles and about a 20 minute drive to the stadium, it's an interesting possibility.

Ian, if you must use a pejorative tor the second largest food holiday on the US calendar, may I offer 'stupor bowl' as being more nuanced and better rhyming.

Put your new home up on Airbnb as soon as you own it. Hopefully the rentals will exceed the damages caused by the partying hordes. At least look at what comparable properties go for on Airbnb.

• Like 13

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning here - a little on the chilly side, but it is due to get warmer later on.

Interesting to see the pictures of the nuclear train.  The last time I saw one, it took me completely by surprise as I was heading from Rye to Brenzett and got caught at the Dungeness Branch level crossing.  Nuclear trains are the only traffic on that line, and sure enough, shortly afterwards two 37s came through with a flask.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl, Inner temple here,

A reasonable sleep last night, of 6.5 hours with just a few wake ups to turn over.

Ben The Border Collie, was reluctant to go for his morning constitutional, but then I found out why, thunder and Lightening in the distance. He didn't know whether to come close to me or run back to the house, and did a bit of each...

It was very dark as a light rain shower went over and for the first time I had the outside lights on. This brings me to a long planned future project which is for a chain of lights down the 150 yards of garden. we've tried solar lights but they are spectacularly unsuccessful. I fear some time in the near future I have a long trench to dig, I might add a water pipe along side at the same time...

Today is my last day this week so I have 5 days off, I think the plans are,

Thursday, garden walling by the new gate and take car to see about a blowing exhaust.

Friday, Go into town for shopping, SWMBO to pick up art materials from a friend on the way back, MRC in the Evening.

Saturday, More garden Walling.

Sunday, More garden walling.

Monday, Work on Motorboat.

Tuesday come back to work for a rest....

Time to go measure some more current shunts...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Time for a shower and so on - back later,

Regards to All

Stewart

ps I do wish Ian and Sherry would return soon - I too miss their contributions.  I know there was some cyber friction, and I can see all sides, but ERs is generally a pleasant place to spend some time - unlike some other areas on here nowadays.

• Like 5

Morning !

I note some stirrings in the big house at the end of the Mall as our future monarch seeks to re-assert himself as a wonderful human being.....(sound of laughter in the background).

I suppose we must all remember that the UK is not a democracy, it is a 'constitutional monarchy'...(be quiet at the back there, put your wig straight and adjust those stockings !)

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Fatchy pog here this morning. Her indoors off to a rehearsal.. Might just get a lot of modelling done.

Have a great time in your next 24 hours here on Planet Earth.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a quiet house.  It is strange without the felines Yesterday we didn't do a great deal but some muddling got done.

Today the main task is assisting in a church cleaning day.   As I need the church for the railway next week I need to do my bit.  Then an evening at the club so not too bad a day.

It was good to hear from Sherry yesterday and I hope that both she and Ian will return before long.  I will be thinking of the Sarthe when I head for our future home in a fortnights time and go through the area.

Oz, thanks for the eclipse pictures.  I've never seen a total one but there were pictures of one that occurred in the 30's at my school in Giggleswick.   Apparently it was visible there and the Astronomer Royal had his temporary observatory on the school grounds.  I doubt that I will ever get to see one but you never know.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Yawn, just got up after a restless night laying next to a steam beam engine wheezing and puffing all night, yesterday a small chore was carried out cleaning the

the front drive after the Hippo Bag man had collected the thing to my annoyance some cement has been dropped on some of the block pavours and set hard

which is a wire brush in the drill job to remove it, as I can't be @rsed to do it at the moment as "IT" is whining about finishing the back fence off.

No peace for the wicked another hour in bed me thinks good night now.  :boredom:  

The current Weinert catalogue arrived from Wagenwerk. Contrary to what I had thought, it looks like there are at least 12 (expensive) castings that could be used on 43.001, and a further one - ref:87035 - may only be available direct from Weinert since Wagenwerk are no longer able to supply it, citing "lack of demand".

I also discovered that they have a motion kit for the Br.44, much of which can be reused in the Br.43. Not cheap at 70-odd Euros, though, and you still need to provide the cylinders from somewhere (Fleischmann, probably, as the Revell ones look a bit weak). Unlike British kit designers, Weinert don't believe in providing etchings for valve gear and motion. Instead, they produce their rods and links in cast brass; I have a set for the Br.01 Pacific. They must have huge faith in their masters as well as the accuracy or otherwise of the casting process.

The one thing I've never quite understood about German outline models is why they still resort to having the motor powering the tender. Given that most real-life Einheits- tenders were on a double-bogie arrangement, this means the model becomes a rigid 8-wheel vehicle. Even Roco still does this, albeit with a cardan shaft now going into the cab to provide an extra drive to the engine's trailing axle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Spoke to Ian on Facebook this morning and he said that he will be back but not just yet. Ian's other news is that for the first time for several years there are no quadrapeds on site. Varian passed away a few weeks ago and the donkey is now with others of his kind in Alisons field. Opened a fresh pack (750grm) of tea this morning to realise I had forgotten to order large leaf tea and had fine leaf instead :banghead: . The fine stuff I had before from the supermarkets tended to clog the filter basket but this stuff seems to be OK. The supermarket stuff is little more than dust and should go back into the tea bags. Bye for now, be back later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A visit to the doctor this morning meant getting a later train into London. This freight went past us at Redhill which delayed our service and hence missed the connection at East Croydon but did give me time to get a photo of the freight passing through East Croydon

post-1557-0-20428900-1503485764_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Simba, our remaining cat, has been to the vets to have some staples removed from a small wound on his rump - they came out with as little fuss on his part as when they went in.  Somewhat more fuss while have his claws and fur trimmed.  And the ultimate cockwomble later appeared in Tesco car park because having stopped at a pedestrian crossing he then drove forwards as Mrs Stationmaster attempted to cross in front of him, fortunately she was far more alert than he was and stopped in time while dumbo went cheerily on his ignorant way; alas we failed to find him wrapped round a lamp post during our subsequent journey home but for the sake of mankind I hope he doesn't take anyone else with him on his final journey and connection with something else he wasn't taking any notice of.

We are now faced - so I'm told - with preparation for tomorrow's visitor and I am duly deputed vacuum cleaning and, no doubt, some 'tidying up' although the latter hasn't been mentioned (yet).

Have a good day one and all

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Spoke to Ian on Facebook this morning and he said that he will be back but not just yet. Ian's other news is that for the first time for several years there are no quadrapeds on site. Varian passed away a few weeks ago and the donkey is now with others of his kind in Alisons field. Opened a fresh pack (750grm) of tea this morning to realise I had forgotten to order large leaf tea and had fine leaf instead :banghead: . The fine stuff I had before from the supermarkets tended to clog the filter basket but this stuff seems to be OK. The supermarket stuff is little more than dust and should go back into the tea bags. Bye for now, be back later.

Sorry to hear of Varian's passing but nice to hear that Ian will be back in due course. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon

This morning straight after breakfast I completed the Sainsbury's Grand Prix. Once I'd returned home and put the shopping away, I made myself a cup of tea and completed the Sudoko in the RT, then went to the large DIY emporium and collected an over 60's discount card. Whilst I was there I bought some post fix for the new fencing and a few other bits and pieces. I then went to collect the paint which we had ordered for the fencing. Everything is now safely packed away in the shed ready for use when the new fencing is delivered.

As for the rest of the afternoon, nothing is planned so to us a quote from Chrisf, a little bit of unspecified pottering will be undertaken!

Back later

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19