The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Great news.  As one who does not frequent FB I am delighted to hear from you Debs that John is on the way to recovery and trust that the continuing journey to full recovery will continue uneventfully for you both.

Cheers, Peter

Edit = spelling only

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 6

This week's candidate for the Irish Bizarre Prize concerns my deceased Irish client's Estate. As you know, banks here and in Ireland are quite helpful these days in settling things like funeral and stonemason's bills without having to wait for Probate to be granted. In this one, we had the Undertaker's bill paid directly by the Irish bank. So far so good. 

A while later, we had the stonemason's bill for the headstone. We sent this to the same bank requesting that they pay the stonemason directly. This morning a banker's draft turns up in the post with a letter from the bank. If you've been on the ball, you'll have realised that the bank (in Ireland) has sent us (in Britain) a draft (in Euros) to pay the stonemason (in Ireland). Right so, that's three steps to deal with a transaction that could have been done in one.....within Ireland.  :scratchhead:

I looked at this and thought that things could probably be worse. They did indeed get worse because, on examination of the draft, I see that it has not been made for the correct sum. Instead of 4380 Euros, it's for - get this - 27,600 Euros. I'm going to have to send this back with a polite note.  :rtfm:  :banghead:

• Like 2

This little character turned up here just after 9 o'clock this morning and stayed around for a couple of hours:

post-1771-0-90601100-1503343362_thumb.jpg

i.e. we had a partial solar eclipse. I expect we will get more pictures from RMWebbers in the US, where there was a path of totality across the whole country.

We tried a few different ways of viewing the eclipse. One was a piece of welding glass taped over a hole in the bottom of a cardboard box:

post-1771-0-45886300-1503343516_thumb.jpg

This wasn't too successful. You couldn't see much detail, plus there was still a definite "ghost" in your vision after you looked away.

Best way to see it was using binoculars and projecting the image onto a sheet of paper, recommended by the CBC science correspondent. (That's how that first image was produced.) 

Here's the maximum of the eclipse using that method:

post-1771-0-42910300-1503343796_thumb.jpg

And an image taken much later:

post-1771-0-17554100-1503343838_thumb.jpg

We also tried something else I'd read about. We took a metal colander, held it up to the sun and again projected the image on to paper. Each hole in the colander acts as a pinhole camera and projects a separate image. Not great for detail, but makes an interesting design:

post-1771-0-95971200-1503344096_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

A relaxing day with the weather improving to be a sunny 23 degrees according to the car.

I'd decided to get some modelling done outside after shopping for some essentials (food). It seems that I made a mistake when loading the car and forgot the paints and cutting mat. To cap it all, Buffers wasn't open today so I'll be heading out again tomorrow which is unplanned.

I did spend the afternoon sleeping in the sun without getting burned.

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I trust that Rick might find  a less than chaotic situation at the large station associated with a certain Peruvian bear as according to 'National Rail' the derailed train is still present and delays are occurring.  As it was reportedly rerailed yesterday maybe they've now derailed whatever was sent in to rescue it, or maybe they can't actually find anything to rescue it and are looking to see who offers the best towing deal? 

Evening all.

Arrival at the Station of the Peruvian Bear was greeted by a contingent of the Orange Army busying themselves inside some temporary fencing along platform 2 and in the pit between 2 and 1 roads.  Rails were absent and the baulks had been removed and marked "Scrap".  Real Time Trains insisted that the required train - 11.36 Cheltenham Spa Express - was going to leave from platform 2 right up until 11.25 when the train on platform 1 was shown as being that required.  No sign of the derailed set - it had indeed been removed by yesterday afternoon as the set it trapped in platform 1 was used for an afternoon Plymouth service.

Photos were taken by guest of the bronze effigy of aforesaid bear and we duly parted ways.  He for Stonehouse (of the Cotswoldian, not Plymouthian, variety) and I for a pootle down to West Drayton, in order to keep up to date on the various new works, before taking various buses back home.

Base Camp Upon the Hill has now been prepared for the next visitors who arrive on Wednesday.  SWMBO has booked both a week in Cornwall with friends and a week in Washington DC on business.  Apparently I am not permitted to book anything which might resemble a "holiday" though I fully intend to do so.  We are still not synchronised for leave and cat-sitting duties but will be able to get away together soon enough.

A case of Proper Job IPA has been ordered from St. Austell.  

Early night tonight.  It's been quite a busy few days and the back end of the week will be a challenge hosting Asperger's nephew and his Attention Disorder young lady.  

Edited to include a mention for the excellent news from John and Debs.  Fingers still crossed - I can arrange for a large woman to sing if required ;)

Sleep well when your turn comes.

Edited by Gwiwer

Evening all and greetings to one and all. Delighted to read Deb's news. For some reason, since I handed back my work iPad, I have been unable to access my railway related Facebook page. Whenever I log out of my personal page and then type in the new email and password for the other account, my MacBook defaults back to my personal page. As a result I have missed out on much of Deb's recent updates. So pleased to read that John is coming home. My best wishes to you both and my evening pint of real ale has been toasted to your health and a long and happy life together.

I noticed a fellow ER has noted the continuing absence of Ian (OD) and Sherry (Ashcombe). I do hope that does not mean there is bad news there. I have also missed out on their updates. When I was holidaying in Brixham, Sherry very kindly sent me a PM with details of some recommended places to eat. They do seem two of the world's nicest people.

Today's plans have been hampered by feeling tired. I did not get a great night's sleep. Sarah's decision to watch the Elvis movie on My5 until 1.45am did not help of course. Some house tidying in the morning was followed by a pub lunch and then Amber's swimming lesson. Tomorrow we are off to Drayton Manor and Thomas Land. I may need a beer or two after that!

Night all

• RMweb Premium

Good news from Debs about John.

Cheers me up after today's funeral for our long tine MR club member.

Mention of missing ERs - OD is posting elsewhere, and I also noticed a post by another AWOL ER - Simon G.

Has anyone upset them?

A phone call from Junior and Mrs NB earlier - we've bought the carpet for Junior's bedroom and it;s been fitted tomorrow.

Cue much shifting of furniture etc. Not aided by Junior's return from Uni last week with all her worldy goods.

Much stuff has been sorted for transport to the charity shop.

There are three items to move in the morning before I go to work. Junior is at work on breakfast duty, so it's just the two of us making space for the carpet fitter.

I had a GDB moment during the carpet preparation. I lifted one corner of the carpet and found the sharp end of a carpet gripper. At least the blood spots on the old carpet don't matter......

Off to do some modelling and a welcome.writeup for our exhibition programme.

Have a good Tuesday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

I noticed a fellow ER has noted the continuing absence of Ian (OD) and Sherry (Ashcombe). I do hope that does not mean there is bad news there. I have also missed out on their updates. When I was holidaying in Brixham, Sherry very kindly sent me a PM with details of some recommended places to eat. They do seem two of the world's nicest people.

Someone decided to snipe Ian about a month ago.  He might have decided to give ER a miss for a while.  If so, I know how he feels.

Bill

Someone decided to snipe Ian about a month ago.  He might have decided to give ER a miss for a while.  If so, I know how he feels.

Bill

Sorry to hear that. I must have missed that exchange. I do recall some heated comments about a certain American president at one point. Usually this is such a calm place.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all.

I clearly don't order much online that often but Parcelforce's one hour delivery slot notification was new to me.

I have a sore thumb. Robbie had a thorn in his leg and while removing it he injured my thumb. He didn't bite me , rather he hit my hand with his open mouth. He was obviously not happy and you can't always convince a dog it will be better when out. The thorn was tangled in fur too. No dogs were injured and he won't be embarrassed at the haircut as it was on the inside of his thigh.

I think Matthew has done his packing. Now that he doesn't have to find somewhere to live he can spend some time in Ireland sorting out administrative things. He needs to get the Irish equivalent of a National Insurance number and visit the university to meet people in person instead of via Skype. At least his flight tomorrow to Dublin is early afternoon which makes a change, I'm usually taking him very early. Aditi and I will probably stop off in Chelmsford on the way back from Stansted, even if only for dog food as we have to go past a Pets at Home store.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

As my thumb has healed up nicely I decided to go swimming tonight, but I was half expecting to have to wear my wetsuit due to the rather cold spell we've had recently. But when I turned up at Salford quays, there was a sign saying the water temperature was 18.6C, so I chanced wearing just my trunks again. I want the only one, but I do think the water was colder than stated. Nevertheless, I still managed 2 laps, I was going to do 3 but I started to feel the cold so thought better of it. I expect that tonight's swim will be the last one in just trunks.

Off to bed now for the rest, goodnight all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

As my thumb has healed up nicely I decided to go swimming tonight, but I was half expecting to have to wear my wetsuit due to the rather cold spell we've had recently. But when I turned up at Salford quays, there was a sign saying the water temperature was 18.6C, so I chanced wearing just my trunks again. I want the only one, but I do think the water was colder than stated. Nevertheless, I still managed 2 laps, I was going to do 3 but I started to feel the cold so thought better of it. I expect that tonight's swim will be the last one in just trunks.

Off to bed now for the rest, goodnight all.

I've just ticked "like" and it's about Brian in trunks........

I guess that's only marginally better than "informative/useful"..................

Have a good Tuesday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

edit: To save further embarrassment (thanks John.....), I didn't quite mean what I've typed above

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1