The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Mugate then off to Sessay via Knaresborough for a day of women's cricket umpiring.

I do get to see a lot of different cricket grounds.

Nice awl Debs! I seem to have misplaced mine and the new plastic handled ones don't fit in the hand as well.

Have a great 24 hours on Planet Earth everyone!

Baz

• Like 16

I do get to see a lot of different cricket grounds.

I see mostly one; Basford Mills CC.....just outside the haematology unit where John is resident. :boast:

Yesterday the chap with the wooden racquet seemed not to do so well getting the ball into the nets; which I must say, seem to be positioned way too far from the little gate thing that keeps getting knocked over! :dontknow:

......anyway, what`s with the lazy player whom wears all the jumpers? :scratchhead:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning

Lovely day here and let's hope it stays that way although the forecasters say it may not.

A very enjoyable evening spent here with friends and The Boss, as usual, excelled herself on the catering front. It may not surprise you to hear that some alcohol was consumed.

It may also not surprise you to learn that I do not and never will own a chain saw. This has nothing to do with my current ham-fistedness but is due to an accident that occurred many years ago on a site adjacent to where I was working. A young man was clearing small trees and dense undergrowth and the saw kicked back off a wire fence that was hidden and hit him in the shoulder. I believe he lost the use of that arm. I decided there and then that such tools were not for me.

In other news I have been told to hurry up as there are things to do. No change there then but as I want some breakfast I better comply.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8

This is the Revell static kit that I've been looking at trying to turn into a runner:

post-6879-0-46223200-1503219765_thumb.jpg

There's an awful lot of moulded detail to be shaved off, though...

post-6879-0-73775300-1503219836_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-59121800-1503219869_thumb.jpg

Not even Weinert does much in the way of detail parts for a Br.43.

I'm off on the alcohack now. I can hear a bottle of Chardonnay calling.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Work in the garden continues unabated today SWMBO has redone the new barrel pond complete with tacking the pond liner in and placing all the pond plants and weeds back in I've been called upon 

to remove the old barrel to the Hippo waste bag the BBQ just might be fired up if the sun comes out for my bacon sarny lunch. 

Other thing to do will be done today are running of some new locomotives & stock.  :bye:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. First up, sending my thoughts to Andy and Lorna, as well as Rick. Not a lot of meaningful things really that can be said at times like these, are there?

Cooled down quite a few degrees after a cold front swept through on Friday night. It's currently a mix of sun and clouds, and apparently supposed to stay that way for today and tomorrow. Not much happening aside from that, though.

For those booking hotels - if you are prepared for a bit of legwork. Find the cheapest price via the OTA (online travel agent) and then ring the hotel direct. They can often undercut the online price over the phone, because the commission taken by the OTA can be up to 15%, the hotel can often undercut the online price and still make more money!

This can only be done over the phone as hotels are not allowed to publish lower rates than those available online by the OTA.

Yes, we made the very same observation. When we made a booking for visiting out friends' wedding in Bavaria a couple of weeks back, we got a far better deal than any online booking site we checked for comparison could offer!

I also keep thinking that once our little one is there, we will have a rather nice selection of places to go to for vacationing, with my mum and dad living near the Baltic coast, and my aunt and her partner within what seems like spitting distance of the Alps.

Best wishes to y'all, m'luds and m'luddites…

• Like 18

Just looked at Debs picture again.

Very generous field placings I think.

Maybe it works for them.

Barry may have views on the seeming reluctance to use a third man in modern cricket.

Recent matches I've seen on TV have shown large total runs scored in his absence.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

No news but when it comes we don't expect it to be good news. Aunt's daughters, my cousins, have arrived overnight at her hospital bedside.

SWMBO is abed with a cold. Guest has taken himself off to Camden Lock market to be followed by a boat trip down to Greenwich for his last day in London. I am on-demand carer, supplier of tea, toast and medication.

And in the small hours at 2am our trains ceased to be operated by Stagecoach and passed to First Group / MTR who have shown a grey-black livery and house theme. The handover was marked by 5O77, the 01.40 empty cars from Shepperton, reversing in the platform here to access the depot. Due to depart the station as a Stagecoach SWT working at 01.58 it arrived in the depot at 02.02 as a First South Westen Railway working.

Best Sunday wishes to all and thanks for the kind thoughts.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Crikey I nearly said 'awl' after Debs' brilliant visual greeting to the day - trust all is proceeding well on the Nottingham front.

When Mrs Stationmaster returned from the capital yesterday she mentioned having seen strangely attired humans heading in our direction earlier in the day so I began to wonder if one of the 'acts' in the pestival had some sort of comic com links.  Further thought then made me realise exactly what one bunch I had seen yesterday were - they were all dressed like Maplins holiday camp 'hosts' from Hi-De-Hi, all yellow blazers with blue trim and white shorts (hon persons of both genders.  Anyway today the pestival gets to the real cream with Midge Ure and Status Quo but we can't hear a thing up here part way up the hill so it doesn't really matter who is on.  Quite interesting over all in that it really is a 'rewind' and a lot of the grockles would appear to be of sufficiently mature years to confirm that impression.  

Once this one is over there's only the literary festival left to complete 'the grockle season' although the Litfest is mainly local attendees 'cos all the registered supporters - who are mainly local - get first dibs at the tickets.  The $64,000 question is when will Tesco realise the bottom has dropped out of the champagne and Pimms market and slash prices to clear the decks for Christmas stock and will it be in a double discount (for some of us) week?   However I must admit that my post hols near total abstention from alcholic beverages has at least done the tick with my INR number as it's virtually on target so my rat poison regime remains unchanged.

Enjoy your day one and all.

PS Anyone want to buy a mains electric chainsaw - unused in original box; I'm even less keen on using than I was before reading several recent posts?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Like Mick I too have an unused mains electric chainsaw still in the box. It was purchased to remove a large tree that has since been removed professionly. I agree with Chris that a good soak in the bath gets rid of a lot of aches and pains. I too use bath foam as it makes the job of cleaning the bath far easier. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

:banghead: I went into the garden and SWMBO was putting the rotary line up which blocks access to the barrel, she must have thought very hard as when I had disappeared

to the man cave where she appeared 5 minutes later to say I've moved the clothes line, the job has been done and lunch has been promised which saves me doing it. :smoke:

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

We have had an uneventful trip to the park. I cleaned the dog box so it didnt begin to smell after yesterday's adventures. The tap in the garage needed some attention after whatever Aditi did to it while I was unwell.

Matthew has found somewhere to live it seems. He got a Skype tour of the property. Now transferring money from Dutch bank to Irish bank. Bank of Dad nearly got involved as all Matthew's accounts decided he had moved so much money about extra security was involved. My bank manager mentioned to me recently that I can just phone up any time and transfer money almost anywhere. I suspect there are daily limits on that too but Matthews deposit is well within any laundering limits.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Several branches pruned, and added to the huge pile ready for the bonfire.

A trench 16 ft long and 2 ft wide was dug through 6 inches of gravel and forty years of accumulated dirt. Then it got difficult, as I hit the rubble layer. After 6 hour I'd laid 8 foundation blocks to a depth of 18inches. I also discovered when they JCB'd the soil way to fill the driveway with rubble, they'd damaged the foundations of the house. The house has the old fashioned stepped pyramid of bricks beneath the walls or should have....

This means I will have further digging to do, and if required effectively under pin that wall...

During this time, the air ambulance flew over very low and landed in a harvested barley field close the the beach. But I was too far away to see what was happening.

Meantime if you're planning to go to Sheringham or Cromer don't bother, according to the local paper, they're on lock down, all pubs are shut and most shops are shut. On one of the busiest weekends of the year they've been invaded by travellers. A takeaway was raided by forty plus people and much beer stolen, another shop reports theft of £950 of goods. There are also reports of a rape at the bus station. Even the petrol station has closed, many places have said they will not reopen till Monday at the earliest having closed early on Friday.

Normally at this time of year they invade great Yarmouth, which is big enough to cope. Either way this may change my plans for next week as I have taken Thursday and Friday off So SWMBO will have to do her shopping in Norwich.

Time too.... Have a very long soak in the bath, my back aches.

After an enforced digital detox I return. However, I'm not going to trawl through the last 2 weeks of posts as my holiday would probably be over by the time I completed the task. Therefore, generic C & C's where appropriate.

My laptop decided to have a catastrophic failure and with working away for two weeks I was unable to collect it when the repairs were complete. I did try to use my phone for posting but a combination of fat fingers and autocorrect made it a time consuming task. It was eventually collected yesterday on my way to my holiday in South Devon. By the time I eventually arrived, it was too late to organise internet access which is flaky to say the least.

Normal(ish) service is now resumed in a very wet and windy South Devon.

Time to try and catch up on some of the topics that I follow.

Back later.

• RMweb Gold

Did she faucet? :jester:

You need to realise that this is the woman who pulled the entire choke mechanism through the dashboard of a Volvo and regularly wrenched the programmer knobs off Hoover washing machines.

I could never defeat my dear spouse in a battle of wits and would never even consider arm wrestling!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

It was a very nice morning here in Surrey  but now its raining.

Managed to clear old Airfix kit  boxes out of what was my railway room in the garage loft at Mums. I havent bben up there in many years so had to clear quite a few cobwebs. Most boxes now being recycled but some have now been brought back to our place and now need to find a new home for them. Some contain old Triang bits so they will go to one of my layout helpers who collects Triang and now has our late friends Triang layout that is exhibitable.

Grass also cut and bushes trimmed then inside to relax and do some modelling and negative scanning. Currently scanning varoius collery lines that used to exist back in the 80's off the lower part of the Central Wales line. Brings back memories of good times with old friend when we used to travel in my company car to many places around the Uk to photo signal boxes stations and loco hualed services etc.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 19