The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Awaiting news, expected any time, that elderly and very poorly aunt has become late aunt. She rallied a few weeks back but was taken off medication. The inevitable now seems imminent.

Quiet night in with a beer. The final hours of Stagecoach South West Trains. At 2am they become First South Western Railway. Bets being taken on when we see the first black-liveried unit.

• RMweb Gold

Stewart.

Before I used a chain saw I watched a number of training videos on YouTube. Very useful. I recommend the helmet, visor rec safety gear too.

No kevlar trousers Tony?  The chap who did our fence renewal does a lot of chainsaw work and reckons kevlar trousers can be a life saver if the chainsaw develops a mind of its own (they certainly saved him from a serious injury).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No kevlar trousers Tony?  The chap who did our fence renewal does a lot of chainsaw work and reckons kevlar trousers can be a life saver if the chainsaw develops a mind of its own (they certainly saved him from a serious injury).

I didn't have any armoured trousers, just a pair of heavy duty motorcycle trousers. I followed all the advice online about safely cutting and being aware of where ones body was in relation to the cuts. Also my electric chainsaw had an instant stop brake which is allegedly a good thing. I may never use my saw again but I did lend it to a neighbour. His saw needed sharpening so I ke3nt him mine. He had all the safety stuff though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Earlier this evening we had an Indian takeaway, which was a belated birthday treat, not that I/we need much of an excuse for a takeaway anyway. Then it was another quiet night with just the two of us and a bottle of red.

Goodnight all

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Aditi had prepared a meat sauce to go with pasta this evening but none of us were hungry after snacking in Enfield so we just had a pizza. I was a bit shocked when we opened the pizza packaging to notice that that the dough was rather black. I wondered if this was some sort of squid ink but it was a charcoal infused dough. Apparently this is a "thing". I wouldn't buy it again (Aditi said she didn't read the label further than the topping ingredients) but Matthew ate most of it so

he either liked it or was hungry by then.

Aditi had been in communication with our nephew to check a few things about the meat sauce for the pasta which will be eaten tomorrow now. Our nephew, Josh, has a very nice girlfriend whose mother has an Italian restaurant. She likes cooking too. Josh likes eating and made a good impression when he visted her family.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Rain, sun, clouds, wind, yep that was cricket in Skipton. Took a while to thaw out driving home.

Game played in the excellent manner.

Sleep well everyone

Baz

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thoughts with Andy ID and Lorna, and Rick. A sad time.

Extra layers worn to brave the strong wind blowing across West Shore.  The Sweat Pea was steamed up - not my idea ! - but I did a few laps of the track before handing it over to someone else!   I just happened to be in the clubhouse when the rain came down at the end of the day, so got roped into counting donations in the dry rather than getting wet putting the locos and trolleys away.

' night all and nos da.

• Like 4

Lorna and I thank you for all your kind words of support. I talked to Lorna this morning and she is taking a day or two to decompress watching Netflix/Hulu etc. on her iPad. I suggested, after everything is taken care of, that she take a jaunt down to Italy to see an old friend from Edinburgh who has a place near Pescara. She might just do it, although the other option is Carradale.

• RMweb Premium

Cartoon from our calendar the other day:

two lumberjack types with full bushy beards. One has a chainsaw.

"Real men don't shave. But if they do, they don't use sissy tools."

(or something like that.)

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 6

I echo the safety advice about chainsaw use.

Years ago I had a near miss using one, underpowered for the job, cutting a branch from a dead tree.

Not the chainsaws fault - the heavy branch suddenly fell, missing the ladder by millimetres.

Cold sweat time!

A couple of years ago a fellow was killed using a chainsaw locally.

Working alone in a field.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I echo the safety advice about chainsaw use.

Years ago I had a near miss using one, underpowered for the job, cutting a branch from a dead tree.

Not the chainsaws fault - the heavy branch suddenly fell, missing the ladder by millimetres.

Cold sweat time!

A couple of years ago a fellow was killed using a chainsaw locally.

Working alone in a field.

I don't think I would use my chainsaw while on a ladder. The tree I had to chop up was already horizontal. For pruning branches I have a tree saw. That may be unpowered but it has very sharp teeth.
  • Like 17

Good morning one and all

Today might just be uneventful.  I have a steak to cook and eat, half of a chocolate gateau left over to follow and another James Bond flick to watch on TV in the afternoon.  I ought to tidy the magazines that I have nearly finished reading since my return from holiday, I ought to wipe and fold the bits of tent and put them into their carrier and I ought to at least make a start on an article that I have been persuaded to write.  One or more of those will not get done today.  When the temperature of the water is right I shall climb into the bath and soak.  The foamy bath additive that I buy is not awfully luxuriant but it will do.  For all its virtues a shower just cannot absorb aches and pains as can a bath.

Just now I could not find my diary.  It was still in my jacket pocket after Friday's bad news about the Bedford Arms.   I need it now to check the week's engagements.  Fortunately there are few.  The car goes for its oil change and inspection on Wednesday so of course I get a postcard yesterday from the dealership to remind me.  How kind.  On Friday I have my injection, at 8 am to get the task over and done.  This does clash with the fodder run but nothing is immutable.

Best wishes to all in distress and recovery.  Whoever you are, you are not alone.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I don't think I would use my chainsaw while on a ladder. The tree I had to chop up was already horizontal. For pruning branches I have a tree saw. That may be unpowered but it has very sharp teeth.

Paul, my son, never works up a ladder unless he is strapped on with a safety harness in case the saw kicks. One of my ex colleagues, who worked on the Tallylyn after he retired, was killed when he fell out of a tree when the chain saw kicked.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to all and sundry. I have to report a miracle, my modelling mojo returned yesterday and I actually got some muddling done. After a morning helping Beth tidy a bedroom and then take the resulting pile of boxes and bags to the tip and container I set to work and by 9.30pm I actually had an EMU coach sitting on it's bogies.

post-6824-0-04989500-1503207144_thumb.jpg

It till needs a lot of work but I'm quite proud of it. The first self propelled vehicle I have ever built from scratch. Today, apart from dodging the wrath of her Debsship I will try and get a trailer vehicle to a similar state.

Anyway the house is till quiet and it seems strange without the cats but they are both in good homes and seem to have attentive staff. Church duties this morning then back to the muddling.

Chrisf, is it you that features, rear view, on the cover of the latest Points magazine from the HMRS, I was still having my breakfast yesterday when I noticed.

As to the cricket, a good result statistically but whether it is good for the game I don't know.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here,

Yesterday went according to programme, I worked on the metal gate which was a bit chilly as it was still sheltered from the sun and in a cool breeze.

After that off to to the muddle railway show, which for some reason has Radio controlled boats and vehicles in one room. Last year was a little crowded with layouts this year a little short of layouts. A couple more small layouts could have been fitted in. There were two traders this year from which a small amount of secondhand wagons for conversion to EM.

On returning home, I hammerited some mild steel fitting on the gate, then we went out to the local fete. This includes a dog exemption show, and there were hundreds of dog there. Ben the Border Collie behaved better this time. We picked up a couple of secondhand books and a new one donated by some book publishers.

Soon after getting home again a hours eyelid inspection was had, then an evening in watching this week's recorded TV programmes.

I had an incredibly good sleep for me of 8 hours, yippee.

Today's plans are digging for foundations for one of the new walls to go with the new gate and a couple of branches needing pruning..

I have 3 chainsaws, 1 petrol, one electric and a battery electric chainsaw on a 8ft stick for pruning which is surprisingly effective. Apart from the proper helmet/ear defender/ mesh face mask assembly and gloves. I have my motorcycle gear which is ballistic nylon and Kevlar.

I too have a sawhorse which the chainsaw is fitted to. The pile of branches is high, must have a logging day ready for the winter.

I see the government is bringing in new laws to combat pension rip off scams, on Thursday while in the bank I overheard a man was returning £4000 to his mother's account, he had prevented her being scammed and was also arranging that his mother could no longer draw money unless accompanied by him or his father.

Time to. Have some breakfast.

Chrisf, is it you that features, rear view, on the cover of the latest Points magazine from the HMRS, I was still having my breakfast yesterday when I noticed.

It is.  Tanatvalley, who took the photo, has captured my best profile.

Chris 

• Like 7