The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

No significant rain so far although It may actually be raining but evaporating before it reaches the ground. It is cool, but the humidity is up.

More exciting weather reports later.

The smoke has cleared for now at least and it's much cooler. Dropped down to 12C last night. I better make a start on some of the outdoor projects I've been puting off all Summer.

I awoke to find damp ground on Sunday morning. The measurable rain (less than 3mm) ended our streak of dry weather at 57 days and the smoke is at last gone. Hopefully it won't return, though there are new conflagrations that started last week.

The recent fortnight-long spell of weather at or above 32°C is broken. It was nice to be able to comfortably turn off the AC.

The day was cloudy and delightful topping out at about 25°C. The sun broke through late in the day.  Lower temperatures suitably encouraged me to take up arms against the weeds in the garden - when I wasn't flipping back and forth between Coupe Rogers / Rogers Cup tennis or the PGA Championship.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Another day spent with the National Trust. (I blame you, Baz). These days are very enjoyable but surprisingly tiring, especially during the school holidays when we are quite busy. Still, I suppose it keeps me out of trouble.

Enjoy what's left of your evening.

• Like 2

Evening all.

Another day spent with the National Trust. (I blame you, Baz). These days are very enjoyable but surprisingly tiring, especially during the school holidays when we are quite busy. Still, I suppose it keeps me out of trouble.

Enjoy what's left of your evening.

Can you get a national truss on the national elf?

Running shoes on, and he's off!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all and it's a dusky one here. 

Back home after covering 1400 miles on our trip to the north and back.

Ironically the only train worth mentioning on the whole trip was spotted when we parked up near Hook station to buy groceries just a few miles from home. For info it was a freight train of the permanent way variety, if the fleeting view of it was anything to go by. 

The only other train spotted was this one, which might not count with some of the more precision-conscious folk one hears about in other threads. :senile:

• Like 15

May not be old, but will be late.

My late FiL's favorite joke was the one about two old gents in a nursing home in the South of England.

The Scottish gent asks: "Did you come here to die?"

The local gent replies: "No mate. I come 'ere yesterdie."

• Like 1

There is/was a hotel in Chattanooga based in the old station where the bedrooms are in old 1930's sleeping cars. Needless to say it was called the Chattanooga-choo-choo.

Similarly in downtown Indianapolis the Crowne Plaza at Union Station has Pullman car rooms.

They are extensively modified inside to be hotel rooms, but fun all the same. I stayed in one back in the early 1990s. They seem to be still there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How to make an Australian fan of British 60s popular music weak at the knees?  Take him on a short walk beside the Thames from this Hill of Strawberries and casually mention that the that large island in the middle of the river is Eel Pie Island.  Erstwhile home to Eel Pie Studios and visited by just about every legendary performer / band of the time.  We even set foot briefly on the hallowed soil of the island despite it being private.  A case of not getting in anyone's way or too close to their homes.  SWMBO's visiting friend is already suitably impressed with our locale having noted names such as The Moody Blues, David Bowie, Pink Floyd and others on the memorial plaque which he had great difficulty in not drooling over!

Tomorrow I am required to wait in for a parcel.  Guest is off to do the Big Bus Tour of London and possibly take the boat to Greenwich.  SMWBO has a normal working day.  If I'm lucky and parcel arrives early enough I get to take her shoes to the menders later.  

Eyelids now require inspection.  G'night all.

• Like 16

Evening all. Very disappointed to hear about Peter BB's experience (or lack of) with the Churnet Valley Railway. I first visited the said railway for a gala event several years ago shortly after they extended to Kingsley and Froghall. They had the B1 (61264), GWR tank (5224), an Austerity and one of the S160's in service and put on a cracking show. I found the staff so helpful and friendly that I became a member there and then. A couple of years later, at another gala, I fulfilled a lifelong ambition by driving a steam locomotive (the Super D) - they were doing driver for a fiver at the time. I have always found the staff there very friendly so it is a shame others have had a bad experience. Incidentally the 8F has long since moved to the GC and is now in a more appropriate black livery. 

Back to today, and the day was dominated by Sarah's Avon orders. They arrived at 7am this morning and the house was overrun as she sorted the stuff out. I escaped to do more work on the new project (see Loch Tay ish thread in Layout topics). I am beginning to feel that there is a chance that this project may not stall like many others. 

In the afternoon Amber and I went out posting books and this evening I was out delivering orders, finishing off at my parent's. A nice evening's catch up. Tomorrow I hit 42 years of age. 

Night all

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Similarly in downtown Indianapolis the Crowne Plaza at Union Station has Pullman car rooms.

They are extensively modified inside to be hotel rooms, but fun all the same. I stayed in one back in the early 1990s. They seem to be still there.

The Chattanooga one is very similar, only it doesn't have the statues or carpeted platforms. Its still a going concern with the station concourse used as a restaurant.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The water butt is now installed behind the shed and is now ready to start collecting water. It's now p!ssing down so I'm hoping that it will soon be full again, but hopefully not overnight. My next job will be to order a new gate and some new fencing, to replace the gate and fencing that is behind both the shed and workshop as they are well past its sell by date.

This afternoon I finished sorting out my motor/gearboxes and find that I need to buy a few more. I didn't realise I had so many kits, however did that happen?

No swimming tonight, it's not advisable to swim in open water when you have an open wound and I managed to cut my thumb on some of etchings on a kit! Not on the etches themselves, but the sharp tags that hold main parts together, ouch! Hopefully it will have healed enough to be able to go swimming on Thursday.

Goodnight all.