The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Oo-er this is the second morning in a row that I'm late on parade. If I keep soaking in the bath like I have done I'm going to end up all wrinkly like a prune. Glad to hear that Steve is getting better Bob and I hope he continues to improve.

Just as my local airport trades as London Ashford Airport (LYX).... its not in London, its not in Ashford but is in Lydd on the Romney Marsh!!

Keith

Thats where the Air Ferry used to operate from, hardly economic even then with only five cars and a dozen passengers per aircraft. They moved to Southend before they closed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Oo-er this is the second morning in a row that I'm late on parade. If I keep soaking in the bath like I have done I'm going to end up all wrinkly like a prune. Glad to hear that Steve is getting better Bob and I hope he continues to improve.

Thats where the Air Ferry used to operate from, hardly economic even then with only five cars and a dozen passengers per aircraft. They moved to Southend before they closed.

Ahh but the Airfix model of the Bristol Freighter was a good one with the opening doors.

Jamie

• Like 5

Morning

Thats where the Air Ferry used to operate from,

Been there, done that, but didn't get the tee-shirt although I did have a badge. My brother had to use the boak poke shortly after takeoff. Edited by AndyID
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back online and again caught up with all posts and generic greetings are sent to all.

GDB, your good news, continues - so pleased to hear it.

ChrisF - love to hear about your recollections of Sidmouth, and it sounds like it was running Glastonbury a pretty good second.  I love to hear how folk music is still changing - as it should.  I do hate those who want to freeze it all at a point in time where it was "traditional" and reflects only how the particular piece was collected.  I believe that some true traddies would perform a piece exactly as heard, including if the singer started coughing during the song, then that cough would be included in their rendition.  They don't seem to realise that the melodeon, concertina, and fiddle were just the instruments of the day, and not the instruments of eternity.  Hence, the electric guitar, bass guitar, drums, keyboards, saxaphones, and many other "modern" instruments are just as valid today as the older ones were in Cecil Sharp's days.

Anyhow, mucho work over the last two days in breaking up the hawthorn and disposing of it via the recycling site, then a long session of paperwork, and then hoovering out the  back of the car.  So now it's a bit of a rest up, and a farewell until tomorrow after my stint at Oxfam Books, as I've a large lost of phone calls.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately NOT. :umbrage:

"HER" is away at her recently widowed aunt for a few days  :yahoo: and I will be having a Gin with my new Swedish gin soak Neighbour, some Railway

friend are down to visit the layout but first we will visit the Cafe for a blowout and a trip to Alton Models to spend my secret modelling tokens.

:senile:  :senile:  :senile:

My 'tokens' are taken on the secret vote. Haven't been to Alton Models for ages. I must go back sometime. If you want an early breakfast, try the Alton House Hotel. I used to use it all the time, very nice. You might need to book it in a couple of days in advance, as it's a proper hotel.

Ian.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon everyone

As the sun was shining this morning, I went straight outside to make the most of it. I moved the last of the weeds from the pond, I then cut the grass and dead headed the roses. Once that was completed I connected an old hose to the water butt and emptied it into the pond, whilst that was going on I went in for dinner.

After dinner I emptied the dregs from the water butt and then gave I a good clean with the kaarcher and then I altered the guttering on the workshop and fitted a new down-pipe. All I need now is a new water butt stand, which I will go and buy tomorrow. If it's nice tomorrow, I'll clear a space behind the shed and install the water butt in its new home.

GDB. Great to read the news of Steve's steady improvement. It's at times like this that you really appreciate all the work that the NHS do.

Enjoy what's left of the day.

• Like 14

I'm having nostalgic flashbacks remembering the Lydd - LeTouquet flight. Getting from Paisley to the South Coast was an epic journey. IIRC it was typical to stay in Appleby or Penrith the first night then across to Scotch Corner and down the A1. Second night might be Ingatestone or thereabouts then the Gravesend/Tilbury ferry and right through the middle of Canterbury.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Today we had the highest temperatures of the three week trip - 22.5degC on the M5 close to Gloucester Services.

Minus 22.5?

And they say it's grim up north....................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My 'tokens' are taken on the secret vote. Haven't been to Alton Models for ages. I must go back sometime. If you want an early breakfast, try the Alton House Hotel. I used to use it all the time, very nice. You might need to book it in a couple of days in advance, as it's a proper hotel.

Ian.

Black Bush Airfield terminus building there is good cafe there GDB will support that. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.  A lovely sunny day, went out on the bikes this morning, grabbed lunch and ice-cream in Laxey, most pleasant.  Then a bit of work on the outside of the house, gutter cleaning.  Our semi-next-door are building an extension ( for the last year....) and never clean their gutters.  The one across the back is shared, and drains into our side so it is a point of annoyance.  They are away this weekend, and the gutter has been cut half way along their side for the new bit.  So I made a long extending rod with a bit of a paddle on the end and shoved all their crepe right along and out of the end with the hose on full bore....the sound it made landing as it all ran out the end reminded me of that farting Hippo someone posted ages ago - sorry Richard.  Most satisfying, the rain forecast tonight must have done it....

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Evening

A very pleasant day at the SIlverfox show. The new venue is spread over two halls but both are superb and pleanty of space around the layouts which does make it for a very good day. The show closed at 4pm and we were ready to depart 25 minutes later. Home just after 6pm and in the pub not long after.

Still need to unload the boards in the morning but will do a little work on them before putting hem back in the garage.

next show is in three weeks time.

Obviously missed recognising you  but can say that Andy P  and myself with Big John and Mike (neither Rmwebbers) had a great day and saw layouts that we had never seen before form zZ to 3.5 inches.

Peter

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

my game ended at 7pm. Cottingham women batted first and scored 200 off their 40 overs. After a very nice tea Chesterfield and  Sheffield omen scored 102 from their 40 overs. Biggest problem today was the M62. Lots of lanehoggers and slow movers in Lane 2.

Sleep well all.

Baz

Evening all. Firstly welcome back to Christ after his camping trip to Sidmouth and generic greetings to all. I have been a bit slack in catching up on things of late, a busy few days have been in the offing. Today I have been to the Midland Rail-ex event at Butterley. It was a enjoyable few hours, although I do sense that this particular show is in decline. Tomorrow is another day dominated by Sarah's Avon, but then there are three successive steam railway days to hopefully look forward to. If all goes to plan we will go to the GC for an all day breakfast on Tuesday (my birthday), Amber and I will be at the Churnet Valley on Wednesday and then I am working at the GC as a TTI on Thursday. 

Night all.

• Like 15

Where is everybody??

Well, I was away in Weymouth....

post-6879-0-12782000-1502664817_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-59692000-1502665633_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-69638400-1502666058_thumb.jpg

it turns out that the killing down the road in our Orthodox religious district (whilst I was away getting drunk in Weymouth; that's my alibi and I'm sticking to it) was a double killing. Son - who reportedly has severe mental health problems - managed to kill his mother and his sister. Police picked him up in Golders Green Park a couple of hours after.

Other than this admittedly uncommon occurrence of a Shabbat killing, everything's been pretty normal since I got back from the seaside. I've almost finished reading Confessions of a Rabbi - it's quite a read, and it also turns out that the author is an old boy of my old school. This is getting far too close for comfort.

Today's alcohack led to a double pub visit at Ley Hill, which coincided with a well-attended classic car and motorcycle show on the green next door to the open golf course there. The horses rather liked the quality of the grass, and mostly ignored the revving engines and the distinct smell of petrol and testosterone. Way too many cars to remember, and I wasn't able to get the camera out after a double helping of Sauvignon Blanc followed by Pinot Grigio. I think I spotted a 1987 635CSi in the main display, though.

• Like 7

Today's alcohack led to a double pub visit at Ley Hill, which coincided with a well-attended classic car and motorcycle show on the green next door to the open golf course there. The horses rather liked the quality of the grass, and mostly ignored the revving engines and the distinct smell of petrol and testosterone.

Aw come on! Surely said "horses" were wearing straw hats with holes cut to allow their ears to poke out?

• Like 1