The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Cracking the flags here today.

Her indoors has obtained some.....free....tickets for the double header T20s at Headingley on Friday. Great!

Man coming to give me a price for fixing the car..my fault so it comes out of my tokens.

Have a great day.

Baz

PS that Type45 class photo is very good.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Today is a day of not doing much, I'm awaiting a parcel from SEF which may come today, but I've also got to go th the butchers to pick up our weekly meat rations. Once again we have the 3 youngest grandchildren round for tea today, as opposed to tomorrow, as they are all off to Rhyl tomorrow for a weeks holiday, which they don't know about. So we have to be careful not to let the secret out or the will be a very excited little bunch.

The sky is a little overcast but no rain has been predicted by the seaweed twirlers, we'll wait to see how that goes.

GDB. I glad to read that Steve's recovery is still progressing, that really is good news.

Back later.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Now dry here after chucking it down all day and half the night. Today should be dry with sunny spells. Possibly.

More good news about Steve. My son Steve went to visit yesterday and although he is still under sedation but coming round he is recognising people and even managed to give a "thumbs up." He's been moved from intensive care to the high dependency unit and is still all wired up to various machines. Things are looking up.

Waiting in today for the dishwasher surgeon who is due between 7.00 & 11.00. Oh dear, someone may have to get the big red vehicle home.

In fact she definitely will as I'm also waiting for some parcels resulting from a couple of finger slipping moments yesterday. (No locos this time, just wagons)  :yes:

Muddling was attempted yesterday as I continue to redo my not very level crossing. I had to move the gates a bit as I'd forgotten about the APT-E and its long snout. As usual I just ended up playing with the trains doing some extensive running tests.

Women's Rugby World Cup game also enjoyed as England beat Spain rather comprehensively. They're looking good but they still need to work on a few things. This was followed by an evening of athletics which The Boss actually sat through without grumbling (too much). More of the latter today I expect.

Have a good one,

Bob.

That's good news on Steve we all wish him well,.

the sun has just broke cloud here.

Your Bossness getting the Bus home today and you waiting in for parcels wait until I tell her or how much are you going to pay for my silence. :spiteful:

As for the button pressing yesterday stocks of the Heljan 1363 saddle tank were disappearing so I thought I'd get one in, I did fancy the Kernow one until I see the

chassis with the plastic painted side rods & the recessed cab sides for the number plates. :scenic:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  The Hill is slowly wringing itself out and there is a shiny thing where yesterday's heavy clouds were.  But oh boy is it cold.  It's about 12C which is not an August temperature at all.  Horse Chestnuts have been dropping brown leaves for a week or two now and Nature seems to know it's already well and truly Autumn.  Heaters were on last night again but hopefully not required today.  We are promised as many as 21 degrees of Celsius.

Encouraging news from GDB.  Sincerely hope that continues.

Today is one for pressing the suit, being ironic with a good shirt and getting a few other things in order for Saturday when we scatter father's ashes.  Tomorrow I shall be picking up and packing the hire car therefore probably absent from ERs for a day or two.

The trip to Sussex also sees the final allocation of "stuff" as we have a few boxes to store at mother's and one for my sister.  There are a few green enamel signs to pick up which I have had stored there since moving to Oz.  Nothing of too much value and no plans to sell up.  It will be good to finally have them back in my possession.

Back later.  Happy Thursday.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still cloudy here . Allegedly there will be sunshine later.

Good news from Bob about Steve.

My trip out today will be to the vet, Robbie is panting a bit more than usual and seems to be having some back leg coordination problems when coming back into the house. He runs about happily otherwise. Hopefully It is just age related but we will be happier if the vet checks him over. It was this time last year he had the tumours removed from his parathyroid. Hopefully the diagnosis will be to build a ramp for the back steps.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning Folks. Bright & sunny here in Newport. Sorry for the late parade. 

Something I give to my dogs, is tuna in sunflower oil. Our staffies get it about 2-3 times a week. After about a month, their coat has a glossy sheen, and suppleness is much improved. Failing that, try sardines, either in oil, or tomato sauce. It works out cheaper, and the dogs love it. Mrs. Smith is none too pleased about the smell, but the results on the dogs outweigh anything I've tried yet.

There is an excellent weekend in prospect, so enjoy!

Ian

• Like 15

attachicon.gifacid_picdump_07-1.jpg

J.M.W. Turner would have liked it I’m sure....

Think Joe (MWT) would have psychedelicized it up a bit, blurring the sharp ship and making us squint through the haze!

Thanks for the pics, Andrew C, nice to see a Museum of Human Rights!

Overcast today; tidying stuff up for the dump and books for charity.

Have a good one

Mal

• Like 15

.....Need to have a good clear out of all those things that I am unlikely or use such as Irish Murphy models stock....

Might be interested in some of that for 21mm gauge experimental purposes.....

.....Mark Steel was good but sad. His opening section about the last general election was a 5-star riot, but then he told us about his marriage break-up from which he's obviously smarting. .....

I didn't know Mark Steel had ever been married! I do like listening to his Mark Steel's In Town  series on the radio - his local show for local people.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade this morning, was reading a crime thriller and by the time I'd got to the end it was 3 am. Still cloudy and a bit chilly, the central heating was running for much of the night. Will have to visit one of the DIY emporiums today for a new jigsaw, having moved a lot of stuff back and forth I can't find the one that I have. Its coming up to 30 years old and as it hasn't been used for some time might not work anyway. Congratulations and commiserations where neccessary, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to hear some good news from GDB about Steve.

Rick the turning of the leaves on Horse Chestnuts probably has nothing to do with autumn if things are anything like they are round our way - it's all down the the pernicious efforts of the Horse Chestnut Leaf Mining Moth which really gets to work in the latter part of summer, i.e. about now, and it's similar in appearance to the leaves turning on a seasonal basis.  It's a fairly recent arrival in Britain it would seem but has gradually spread - according to one report the spread has been from the Wimbledon area - but it's been present round our way for several years.

Sunny day so far although not too warm and of course it's faux Friday so we'll be off to a Waitrose (I presume) somewhere so there might be a chance of a  bit of train-spotting and the chance to acquire some diesel at considerably less than the outrageous price being charged here by Euro('Pakistani')garages - yesterday they shoved another 1p on the cost of a litre, thieving rats!  (It's even cheaper in Nettlebed than it is here and the petrol station there isn't exactly bargainland.)

Enjoy your day one and all

PS How peculiar that an abbreviation of Pakistan - in respect of the owners of the rip-off Eurogarages chain - has seemingly been treated as if it were a foodstuff that is not understood in the USA; weird form of censorship, very strange.  What would happen if I typed 'balls' I wonder?  Odd - seems there's nothing wrong with 'balls'

Edited by The Stationmaster

.....the chance to acquire some diesel at considerably less than the outrageous price being charged here by Euro(######)garages - yesterday they shoved another 1p on the cost of a litre, thieving rats!  (It's even cheaper in Nettlebed than it is here and the petrol station there isn't exactly bargainland.).....

Put half a tank of Sainsbury's diesel in yesterday at 113.9 - should be enough to get me down to Weymouth tomorrow. It seems to have gone up recently - my previous fill at Sainsbury's North Watford was priced at 111.9.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Strangely our local Tescos (Stalham) is Now 114.9p (diesel) but the local Independant is 113.9p. I've not seen the indepenant cheaper  in the last 15 years...

• Like 10

Strangely our local Tescos (Stalham) is Now 114.9p (diesel) but the local Independant is 113.9p. I've not seen the indepenant cheaper  in the last 15 years...

There was a weird period a few months ago when the local BP at Colindale was noticeably cheaper than Sainsbury's. Normally BP are extortionally-priced compared to most others around here.

Some outlets also offer "Cut Price Fuel" days - usually twice a week, but you have to guess which days they will pick in a particular week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning Folks. Bright & sunny here in Newport. Sorry for the late parade. 

Something I give to my dogs, is tuna in sunflower oil. Our staffies get it about 2-3 times a week. After about a month, their coat has a glossy sheen, and suppleness is much improved. Failing that, try sardines, either in oil, or tomato sauce. It works out cheaper, and the dogs love it. Mrs. Smith is none too pleased about the smell, but the results on the dogs outweigh anything I've tried yet.

There is an excellent weekend in prospect, so enjoy!

Ian

I  once spilled tuna in sunflower oil over my duffel coat and it too now has a glossy sheen!

On a more serious note how many Staffies do you have?

When I used to walk ours, they were brilliant on the lead when on their own, but as a pair were obviously trying to emulate bulldozers and pull very hard......in opposite directions!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Might be interested in some of that for 21mm gauge experimental purposes.....

I didn't know Mark Steel had ever been married! I do like listening to his Mark Steel's In Town  series on the radio - his local show for local people.

I will keep you in mind when I find it somewhere at the bottom of the stock pile.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I  once spilled tuna in sunflower oil over my duffel coat and it too now has a glossy sheen!

On a more serious note how many Staffies do you have?

When I used to walk ours, they were brilliant on the lead when on their own, but as a pair were obviously trying to emulate bulldozers and pull very hard......in opposite directions!

We have the 2 staffies, both about 12 now. we seem to acquire them for their natural lifespan, which is usually about 16-17 years. Both are very good off the lead, but if another dog approaches, then onto the collar. As a rule, they get a bad press, but I've always found them obedient and trainable. I don't like the 'chav' element, because if the owner isn't prepared to protect their dog, then they shouldn't have the dog in the first place. My everlasting impression is coming home, putting my feet up, and the old dog jumping on my lap. 6-7 hours later, I'd wake up, and the dog is still there..

Ian.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

'There may be some preliminary car hunting afterwards in the company of Mrs NB.'

So one presumes it is more likely to be a hunt for a Peugeot or a Fiat rather than a Porsche or a Ferarri?

Most likely a Ford as one of my brothers is joint owner of a Ford retailer.

Golf went well with a second place in the team event and consequent winning of a few quid in the rollup.

Time for a tidy up before Mrs NB returns from work.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19

Good news about Steve GDB, wishing everyone the best.

and it's BIN day - I miss the delightful event once again.

Yesterday another solitary day mostly, a few visits from various client staff with updates/changes/new requests for reports!

Today will be a POE to chase after my ride home at JFK. All conditions currently good for on time leaving and arriving at destination, hopefully that'll stay that way.

ALTHOUGH --> they were also looking for volunteers to list for giving up their seat, so my bid again is $500, maybe I'll get lucky and can score "Trevone" funds this week :jester:  

20 already driving in, sunny and fortunately not humid, 28 the expected high around the time I'm out of here.

May your BINs be emptied favourably and your day continue well.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Interesting about fuel prices. I filled up at Moreasons in Kikstall this morning at 114.9ppl. The weather hear is lovely. At one of the book delivery places I was invited to have a coffee and we sat out in the back garden. It was very pleasant.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12