The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Continuing to keep Deb and John in our thoughts here...

Enjoyable Saturday hosting long time friends at the cabin.

Leisurely morning watching the lake and a gentle rain fall.

Heading home soon to prep for the evening flight out to Long Island again.

14 and rainy, supposed to clear and be 25 later.

Have a pleasant Sunday.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Been a busy day.

A visit to the recycling stnre to get rid of various borken bits of garden equipement about 60 slide amgazine boxes from the garage, old bag of plaster etc. Then back hoem to finish washing down the fascia from next doors patio as our conservatory is in the way. As I was there I cleaned their fascia aswell. Lawn cut and various plants trimmed. Knackered now.

I could open a bottle of beer but as we had quite a few yesterday I think it will be a soft drink sitting in the conservatory watching Chesterton IN live railcam whilst working on a Czech HO wagon kit that I would like to have complete for next weekends show.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The town is chockablock. There's a food fair, a street fair and an art fair. The art fair is on the grounds of the local college and Lorna is exhibiting some of her paintings. I was hoping she might flog some so we could free up a bit of wall space, but no such luck thus far.

We must have a hundred paintings stored all over the place, it's very nice when the odd one gets sold, mostly of furry things that go woof. SWMBO does get the odd commission, which is good,it means one more painting not cluttering up the place.

• Like 4

I see the handbags are swinging on here today to join in with the tiff  I hate cats they would crap all over my garden if they had the chance enough said.

Back to my slaving in the garden for an ungrateful SWMBO the bl00dy patio extension is finished  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: not one word of thanks was uttered.  :girldevil:

Just a bit of trimming with the angle grinder on some dicky slabs a good soaking in CO2 to firm up the under base and I'm your uncle,

and to put that p0xy pot of hers in the corner out of the way which I can just about move. :angry:

My cats don't go into my garden but next doors do. I have discovered "Silent Roar", it's fertiliser pellets impregnated with lion dung. It certainly seems to work.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I see the handbags are swinging on here today to join in with the tiff  I hate cats they would crap all over my garden if they had the chance enough said.

Back to my slaving in the garden for an ungrateful SWMBO the bl00dy patio extension is finished  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: not one word of thanks was uttered.  :girldevil:

Just a bit of trimming with the angle grinder on some dicky slabs a good soaking in CO2 to firm up the under base and I'm your uncle,

and to put that p0xy pot of hers in the corner out of the way which I can just about move. :angry:

Which bit is she under?

£110 made at my pilot visit to the Ketch Car Boot Sale. Very chuffed indeed. Lessons learned for a future visit. The remains of the MiL's stuff to clear, then to start on Mum and Dad's. 62 years of accumulated possessions.

Edited by 28XX

• RMweb Gold

Another day helping out the National Trust.

This talking to people malarkey can be quite tiring, especially when you don't like people.

It's no good wishing you a good weekend, it's too late.

Too early to wish you a good week so I won't

• RMweb Premium

Good evening all

Another day where not a lot has been done, but it has been nice just, to use Chris's phase, do some un-specified pottering.

On the subject of cats, I've been trialing something that Sheila spotted on-line. Apparently cats don't like citrus scented plants, so I've been placing small pieces of orange and lime around the garden and so far it seems to be working. The added bonus is that it is that it is completely organic!

Tonight I will be talking to my brother in Canada.

Back later 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning...off t' lake, will report if and when I can and get a signal.

Yesterday calm and quiet, EXCEPT, I did order a "Holland-Afrika Line" with TTS sound. YAY!

Contrary to those insisting TTS is carp, I have a TTS Mallard and honestly between that, two "real" sound decoders and a UK Econami steam, from 15-20+ feet away (which is where they are much of the time on the layout) I can't tell the difference as they disappear into the horizon. I CERTAINLY can't see the motion well enough with all the other railway clutter in the way to know if the chuff matches - so I'll be happy, and THAT is the main thing :) :jester:  :senile:

15 here and partly sunny, expected to reach 25 tops, usually a couple of degrees cooler up at the lake.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Ian agree

See Kings Morton $1358 for a "Holland-Afrika Line" with TTS sound.  It ran well out of the box and the quality and sound were excellent even if a bit loud 'out of the box' on AndyPs layout.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 10

.....Back to my slaving in the garden for an ungrateful SWMBO the bl00dy patio extension is finished  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: not one word of thanks was uttered.  :girldevil:

With all that concrete down, might your garden be more susceptible to flooding in future? There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of leeway for run-off.....

Ivan likes duff cars maybe it's his. :jester:

It's worth more than the modern pastiche that Fiat is flogging. Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 7

AndyID I know something of driving and living in the thick smoke bushfires generate. Melbourne was sometimes blanketed in thick acrid smoke for days at a time and not necessarily from nearby fires. If the weather system picked up smoke from hundreds of miles away and dropped it on us that was the cue for sore eyes and throats, reduced visibility and lowered speed limits plus the uncertainty of knowing where the fire actually was.

We watched the Black Saturday fires take hold and burn for weeks as the scale of that disaster made everything plainly visible day and night.

The one time we came closest to real trouble was driving back from holidays at Loch Sport. Over the weekend a large fire had taken hold around the city of Morwell closing the freeway. We were already in thick orange smoke when diverted by police through the town only to meet a roadblock. A case of different emergency services not talking to each other as this was manned by the SES (State Emergency Service) and only opened when they realised that they were effectively trapping us. As we followed the road - in visibility down to 5 metres at times - the orange glow in the smoke increased meaning we were still heading towards fire. Then houses beside the road exploded into flames as terrified residents bailed out. We too bailed out as fast as the traffic would allow and werd grateful for clearing the smoke and fire front a few moments later. In that confusion there were sirens and blue lights everywhere though we couldn't see the fire trucks in all that smoke. Flashing patches of blue piercing orange smoke, and the intensity of the heat and smell, is not an experience I would choose to repeat.

I always get a bit nervous at this time of year. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of this disaster.

• RMweb Gold

With all that concrete down, might your garden be more susceptible to flooding in future? There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of leeway for run-off.....

It's worth more than the modern pastiche that Fiat is flogging.

There is a fall left to right you can see by checking the brick line and my garden is 9" higher than next doors on the right and there is a fall of about another 6" left to right,

all the houses & gardens in the Close are raised so no flooding will occur this was determined prior the buying the house as the area was boggy and older houses liable to subsidence.

As for the Fiat it's not in bad nick they normally have lacework body panels at that age but it's still a Fiat.  :senile:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening!  Game abandoned at half time as it was chuckinitdarn in Penwortham.  WCML had its share of pendileanos, 150s and even bendy buses (143)..then along came a 37 on a set of maroon Mark 1.. shame it wasn't a proper engine like this page.. City of Nottingham.

I am an animal person  but cats like me - I tolerate cats..don't know why but there you go. 

Sleep well everyone!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Ivan likes duff cars maybe it's his.  :jester:

The one outside my house works! Its owner is a lot bigger than I am but seems to be able to drive it. My neighbours wife used to own a modern Fiat 500 and it looked huge when parked next to the original.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The one outside my house works! Its owner is a lot bigger than I am but seems to be able to drive it. My neighbours wife used to own a modern Fiat 500 and it looked huge when parked next to the original.

Tony

Cars have got larger over time.

Compare an original Mini with BMW's aberration. The likes of a VW Golf and Ford Fiesta have steadily grown over the years.

As for the Fiat 500 Max - you could probably get an original 500 in the rear hatch................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

It's p!ss!ng it down here, has been for the last few hours or so. I had a nice chat with my brother just n Canada this evening, he was telling me that it's been unusually cold and wet there last mont, so not just here then!

So far, the orange and lime peelings seem to have stopped the neighbourhood cats using our garden as a toilet, which I must say and surprised, but very pleased about.

Sheila has had a rather bad bout of IBS over the last couple of days so she won't be going to Zumba in the morning! However, tomorrow I can roll over and ignore the alarm again! He he.

Time for bed, goodnight all.

• Like 14

Many TV commercials annoy me, for many different reasons. However, it's been a long time since one disturbed me as much as this one. Then I found out that it was an infamous "news" interview that had been partly re-dubbed for use as a commercial, which IMO made it even worse.

(Maybe I should have posted this in "Ebay topics".)

Edited by pH