The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Thank you.......John is a bit poorly at the present; but we`re together and remain hopeful.

Debs and John

lots and lots of positive waves being sent your way. I am sure all ERs are thinking of you both.

Baz

Still can't get over the fact that, had it been available, a spare Br.43 loco chassis direct from Fleischmann would have been £200. That's bloody daylight robbery, that is. Even the parts that I have clicked on as necessary for the Revell rolling project are coming to near enough £100.

Cheaper to buy a Brassmasters Princess kit then..... and we know who may have a number of these available...

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Steady game today - one team ended up with 9 batsmen (due to an injury and a no show). My colleague was interesting to say the least..

Her indoors has managed to win two tickets for the Test Match Special Game at Weetwood... taking large white coat (and stick) for Geoffrey Boycott.

Got home tonight to spot a pair of visitors

post-7650-0-91005600-1501964500_thumb.jpg

Hello Mr and Mrs Bullfinch.

Earlier this week we celebrated Yorkshire day by going to a local restaurant - Dough

we had a 5 course taster which included an amuse bouche...

post-7650-0-29587800-1501964579_thumb.jpg

It was very nice... indeed a few more of them would go down well now.

Sleep well all

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Alas no time to read and digest the events of the past 48 hours or so.  An attack of Real Life has occurred and I am under instructions to spend more time seeking employment and less seeking out the nether regions of the modelling cyberverse.  I did mention that it was railway modelling but that didn't seem to make much difference.

Dinner out last night turned into an interminable affair of almost six hours in a somewhat uncomfortable seat and, being the one of six present not in the botanic gardens professional circle, it made for some extremely lengthy intervals between understanding what was being said let alone contributing to it.  The food and ale were both quite acceptable however though neither took anything remotely like six hours to consume.

Comings and going today upon the Hill as there are new tenants mid-block; uncommonly for this (noticeably all white) area they are an Indian family.  Flat over the Thai restaurant which backs onto our block has also been re-let with a couple of young beardie chaps moving in.  

Today also marks the first day of the Battle of Waterloo.  Ten platforms are closed for the rest of the month which apparently results in "Significantly fewer trains" if all the online, hard copy and station poster material is to be believed.  We are about the only station to benefit and actually get more trains because the Shepperton service which normally runs via Wimbledon is instead reversing at Kingston and running via Richmond.  I had thought they might then run non-stop from Teddington to Twickenham but no, they are stopping here giving us as many trains as normal all the time and twice as many as normal in the peaks.   Come Monday we shall see how it all works when under strain.  Today was only the rehearsal; most trains were busier than usual and many were a few minutes late when they are normally right on time plus or minus 30 seconds.

The very last box was unpacked tonight meaning that huge task is behind us.  A few items have yet to be located though they may have been packed inside other things yet to be fully investigated.  Not a single item has been damaged or broken in trainset transit.  Freudian slip there.  

I am summoned once more to move objects from where they are to where SWMBO wishes them to be.  After which I probably deserve a glass of serious falling-down water.  

G'night all.  

A day of not doing a great deal has occurred for a change.

GDB - Some positive news about Steve which I hope continues.

Debs - My thoughts are with John and yourself.

Night all

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I also have had a day when not much physical work was actually done, but at least I've got a comprehensive list with which to go shopping with at em north exhibition next month.

Goodnight all.

• Like 11

A day of not doing a great deal has occurred......

I also have had a day when not much physical work was actually done.....

I haven't actually been drinking very much today. That will be made up for tomorrow.

.....I've got a comprehensive list with which to go shopping with at em north exhibition next month...

As a reminder, it's a year ago that some engines were stolen from the show, including High Level's own demo "Y5". Watch out for the light-fingered, for they may be attending ExpoEM North again. It seems to be their territory.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl, Inner Temple here,

I'm slowly getting back into the normal routine, yesterday, in the afternoon, a few extra measurements were taken for the gate rebuild. Then the jungle was mown. Ben the Border Collie dancing backwards front of the mower, eventually he tired out and just started following me up and down the garden.

Just after retiring for a coffee, it rained for a while and external work ceased.

In a couple of hours I'll find the SDS drill, and use it to loosen the ground around a 8.5ft concrete fence post. There is a lot of rubble in that area as it was the site of an old barn.

Once the post is removed the fence panel and concrete gravel board will go. This will give a 20ft wide entrance, ( 6ft from the road).

A further 15ft into the garden will be the new gate itself which I can't put up first as the old and new entrances don't align.

Time to... consider getting off the sofa and getting some breakfast... Back on the porridge after a week of bacon rolls...

A 400-mile drive today, a large part of it in smoke, at times very thick, from the various wildfires burning in the province.

We did encounter a driver who had no business being where she was. No "L" or "N" (new driver) plates on the car, so she was someone who passed a test some time ago. The road was a 3-lane mountain highway, we were going downhill, on a single lane divided by double yellow lines (absolutely no crossing) from two uphill lanes. The posted limit was 100 kph, with advisories of 80 and 70 on some corners. This driver was doing a maximum of 60 kph, actually going down to 40 kph on some corners! I did wonder if it was an RCMP "bait" car, to see if anyone would cross the yellow lines to pass, but no. After several kilometres of this, we came to an uphill section with a passing lane, of which a long tail took immediate advantage.

Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Lovely sunny start and it should be a fine day.

Yesterday I managed a few Brownie points by "assisting" with domestic stuff. This included a couple of driving lessons for The Boss on the new washing machine and then she soloed! That surprised both of us!

After that I managed to watch most of the cricket and hope to do so again today.  However before that the weedy, clover strewn grass patch needs a trim or possibly more than that.  Agent Orange might be a better solution.

This may not leave any muddling time for which I beg forgiveness

Tonight I shall don my Chef's mantle  for about 5 or 6 minutes as there are a couple of Aberdeen Angus sirloin steaks that will need my careful attention.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good norning to most, evening to others!

Champagne...it must be from Epernay to have any chance....

Mugatea being drunk, breakfast, then off to cricket.

Enjoy you day everyone and lots of support going out to Debs and John.

I hope rudders is OK as he is missing as well as a number of other ERs.

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the village north of Ikea. A good day was had yesterday. The men's breakfast at church went well and then I helped the boss with the afternoon tea that she helps to run at church once a month. I am allowed to move tables and chairs, wash up and count money. As well as helping I managed to sell 11 books which has swelled the tram society's coffers. Then an evening watching the athletics. Does it count as virtual exercise.

Church this morning and no doubt some other tasks will be allocated but I hope to spend some time clearing the modelling room. A forthcoming phot shoot for the Modeller is concentrating my mind.

Best wishes to Debs and Passepartout and I also share Baz's concern for our missing regulars.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Tonight I shall don my Chef's mantle  for about 5 or 6 minutes as there are a couple of Aberdeen Angus sirloin steaks that will need my careful attention.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Sirloin steak indeed your SWMBO knows how to spoil you I'll be lucky if I get a thin slice of corned beef with my rabbit food salad, still I could always knock a SR Battle of Britain Class loco' when she has finished with the tin.

Morning all. A lousy nights sleep for some reason and now feel totally carp.

A couple of things need my attention today but nothing taxing.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all

Edinburgh is buzzing just now with the festival just getting underway; managed to see a couple of things already in the official fest - the modern opera Greek (an Essex-take on the Oedipus myth) and interesting to see the strings section banging truncheons on riot shields at one stage; also interesting to hear some very choice words, and I do mean very choice words, sung opera-stylee.

Onto Eugene Ionesco's absurdist/surreal play Rhinoceros, where people gradually turn into the creatures - written just after WW2 the rhinoceroses in question are fascists - or are they? Are we the rhinoceroses instead?

Time for a beer so popped into the 'spoons at the Omni Centre (aka Lloyds Bar) where they had sold out of some beers on a packed Saturday afternoon. Must be some serious people in town.

Also saw comic Mark Thomas who is always good value. Next up it's comedians Milton Jones and Mark Steel an hour apart on Tuesday. May manage a beer in-between.

The bookfest, an oasis of calm in the city, starts next weekend, looking forward to that.

Think I'm back for good, my peripheral neuropathy doc told me last week that withdrawing from Duloxetine can have some unpleasant side-effects, hahaha! Gradual withdrawal started 8 weeks ago, off completely for 4 weeks.

Nice to see Debs has posted.

Good wishes to all

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still can't get over the fact that, had it been available, a spare Br.43 loco chassis direct from Fleischmann would have been £200. That's bloody daylight robbery, that is. Even the parts that I have clicked on as necessary for the Revell rolling project are coming to near enough £100.

Well I suppose this makes a delightful change from the usual cursing of the costs of the legal profession and the ever grasping hand of HMRC