The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning peeps! - yesterday we were heading down to the local Lidl - Started the car and it made a horrible screaming noise! Got it to local garage and they diagnosed alternator bearing - Got it recovered to main dealer as it is under Kias wonderful 7 year warranty - they have diagnosed a pump and a condenser - for what I don't know. They ordered the parts and It should be ready to collect this afternoon - nice lady next door, offered me a lift to Inversneckie tomorrow morning, which will do nicely. There will be no charge best car  I ever bought!

Re suits and tee-shirts - the last suit I owned was the one I got married in, 1962!  apart from my RAF uniform, When I worked for the local government we needed shirt, tie and smart trousers, Tee-shirts are white which I wear as vests, and have always done, though I have a couple that have suitable exhibition slogans. Normal wear is jeans, trainers,  tee-shirt and long sleeved shirts, with a sweat-shirt when it is cold (10 months of the year)

EDIT - Update - phone call half way through lunch - one bit hasn't arrived , hopefully tomorrow - so car won't be ready till Monday Afternoon! Ah. well!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Or the shin pads, knee pads, American football shoulder guards, steel toes capped boots, kevlar trousers, respirator, elbow protectors, armoured gloves ear defenders and a sh*t load of plasters.

Would this do for GDB?

post-408-0-50686000-1501843172_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all from a bright and breezy Gateway to The World.

Mrs mole returned from Germany yesterday after her MLP convention.

I wear T shirts for normal wear, except during heat waves when I wear loose fitting, short-sleeved shirts, old school ones formerly belonging to my stepson, a big lad.  Very few of my Tees are plain; most feature bands, festivals, beer, animals, places, pagan-themed designs but no trains.  When at work I tended to wear shirts with two pockets, to put pens and stuff in.  If I didn't expect to be on site I sometimes wore a T shirt instead. I haven't worn a tie except for funerals and one wedding since 1968;they make me feel as if I'm being strangled.

This evening I am out to a former colleague's leaving do. I gather he's had enough and is looking to move in with his partner and look for something different. He's been the sole project manager since the team downsized four years ago so I'm not really surprised. The intermittently recurring threat of being shut down completely can't have helped, as I believe he was hoping for a redundancy pay-out before the last threat was rescinded. However it should be a pleasant evening with friends and beer. The bus home stops outside the pub.

Have a good POETS day,

Pete

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Ivan's comment about the Italian estate's executor has for some reason conjured up an image of a chap in a dark suit carrying a violin case - best take care how you present your bill.   While definitely not trying to be competitive Jamie's remark about a well know foreign 'furniture' emporium caused me to check and we are c.12miles NNE of such an establishment - a branch well known for traffic jams to occur for those those trying to leave the car park.

It was quite sunny until a moment ago but it's now returning so we are obviously enjoying some passing clouds - not to worry as Tesco will be about the furthest we stir today depending on when herself completes the ironing or the Abba collection she is listening to comes to an end.  Laddo has now received his formal job offer which looks fairly attractive with a hefty increase in basic salary although a much smaller potential bonus - steady money always wins in my view - plus a good allowance of annual leave in addition to Bank Holidays.  The job is at least Monday - Friday but involves some occasional longer distance travel than his present job with Bristol, Kings Langley, and Morocco on the initial list although they seem to have branches all over the place.

Sorry to hear of Andrew's back trouble and fingers crossed that the physio will work out.  Fingers also very firmly crossed for Debs and John.

And finally - yes Baz I do indeed intend to be at Swindon, presumably yours is one of the 9 new layouts?

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all

I used to wear a uniform when working, this was was provided by my employer and was usually a polo shirt, trousers and boiler suit. It was all made of a material that wouldn't ignite (same stuff that F1 drivers wear) and is very hard wearing.

Shirts and jeans are the norm when just loafing about, but if I do any sort of DIY or gardening then its T shirts and old jeans/work trousers.

I checked my bank statement this morning and a large amount of cash :sungum:  has very kindly been deposited in there by my former employer, so I quickly transferred to our savings account before they changed there minds and asked me to go back to work, I don't think so......... :nono:      I expect I'll soon be getting lots of phone calls from the bank asking if they can help me with it all.

Not much happening here today, so I think I'll just potter about.

Back later!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

When my lump sum went into the bank they showed no interest at all. In both senses of the word.

I had to research various options for it myself.

I eventually sent it to a nice man in Nigeria who was offering some very competitive deals.

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all

I expect I'll soon be getting lots of phone calls from the bank asking if they can help me with it all.

!

What's your to number!!

I was checking my bank accounts recently. Couldn't work out what on of the direct bits was for. Penny has just dropped now. We have too many cars to insure really. If the oldest one needs much work doing next MOT then it may go to the car graveyard but all the time it's running nicely even if the paint lacquer is peeling it's worth keeping. Had it since 1996.

The main reason for checking the monthly outgoings is to work out if my other half could pay those bills if I wasn't earning but also to see what needs to be cut regardless of that possibility . I have numerous data sims cards plus broadband TV subscription etc so some do need to be either be amalgamated into one service or to be stopped.

Still deciding when to pay the mortgage off. It has a few more years to run but I may well pay it very soon thn at leat that's one thing out of the way. Especially if I end up being out of work for a while either choice or forced.

At leat we have a good chance of POETs today then it's beertime tomorrow with John DMJ.

• RMweb Gold

When my lump sum went into the bank they showed no interest at all. In both senses of the word.

I had to research various options for it myself.

I eventually sent it to a nice man in Nigeria who was offering some very competitive deals.

My father had a letter form HK from someone who had found a long lost relatives estate which would be my fathers if he paid for the fees. Unfortunately my father with his illness wanted to contact that person. Fortunately I kept the poorly written non professional looking letter and then destroyed it so he couldn't make contact. Our only relative , one of my brothers, in HK is stil alive!!

• RMweb Gold

I'll be there on the Sunday Baz with one other of our number, along with our Bosses.  :yes:

Unfortunately for us . :umbrage:

Slab laying has been reduced to a crawl SWMBO thinks deadheading her flowers more important, I too can think of something that needs dead heading. :sarcastic: 

.....Ivan's comment about the Italian estate's executor has for some reason conjured up an image of a chap in a dark suit carrying a violin case - best take care how you present your bill.....

Please don't laugh, but my Executor client is of Italian ancestry and he does look a bit like Al Pacino......and he knows it. He also happens to be a London taxi driver. He came into the office just now, looking like he'd made someone an offer they couldn't refuse, took one look at my bill, then said "I wish you hadn't shown me that....". Anyhow, he's gone off to the bank now.

......The job is at least Monday - Friday but involves some occasional longer distance travel than his present job with Bristol, Kings Langley, and Morocco on the initial list .....

This reminds me of an incident in about 1997 when I was a trainee Solicitor. The Firm had sent me to sit in on a conference with Counsel at Lamb Chambers, involving our client who was suing his Landlord in respect of housing disrepair. During the initial pleasantries, Counsel David di Mambro (great, another Italian) asked our client:

"So you're from North Africa?"

to which our client replied, in a heavy guttural accent:

"No, I am from Morocco..."

You should have been there to see Counsel visibly blink and shake his head in disbelief.

....Slab laying has been reduced to a crawl SWMBO thinks deadheading her flowers more important, I too can think of something that needs dead heading. :sarcastic:

Well, there's always a slab under which you can lay the dead..... :butcher:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago Matthew had a summer job in the student registry of the college Aditi worked at. He was supposed to be doing filing but due to his language skills (GCSE grade C French) he was asked to do some interviewing. He mentioned quite a few confusions about eligibility about whether the potential student was an EU citizen or had been resident in the EU for 3 years.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mike

yes it is Chapel en le Frith

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81633-chapel-en-le-frith/?p=2792834

and as Debs is a lot distracted at the moment dare I add

post-7650-0-94400400-1501857552_thumb.jpg

I am sure that the two Bobs and yourself may be allowed to buy odd items....like a crafty pint perhaps???

Meanwhile I am worn to a frazz. Brought stock back from Club, visited Post Office, Cut grass, re-organised the compost bins and.. listened to the TMS special game team selection. Necessary as her indoors has got some tickets and Weetwood is 5 minutes walk away.

now for a decaff and possibly some eyelid inspection...

Baz

• Like 17

Waiting for the Executor of the Italian Estate to arrive.....

Well now Ivan, I KNOW some of your clients are a bit of a challenge, but isn't execution taking it all a little too far??? :jester:

Morning all.

Late on parade as I was ordered to the Drs office when attempting to refill a prescription for my asthma inhaler - six month "check" don't you know! 

This is a rescue inhaler of the "as needed" variety, been prescribed/using it AS NEEDED for 25+ years. Seems to me, the only reason to "check" would be to make sure I'm still bloody alive, and as I was trying to refill the prescription I'd have expected that was obvious. :O

To add insult to injury the Dr wanted to do a full blood draw/workup "as I was there"! Of course, since no-one had TOLD ME they would want to do that, I'd not been fasting. Net result I get to go AGAIN next Friday (out of town until then) for the blood work - that's what an insurance based health-care system looks like - cock-up city and probably lining of the pockets of insurance company execs :triniti:  :butcher:

Right, onward - yesterday another quiet day working, nothing to report.

Today, hopefully POE, we'll be heading to the lake tomorrow morning - can't be fussed to go tonight - hosting some friends for the day on Saturday at the lake.

Only 13 this morning, more like early October than mid-August, but sunny. will reach about 25 today and supposed to be a great weekend with lows in the 13-16 range highs 26 

POE if you can, take to the relaxation events where possible, eat drink and be mary merry. Avoid ANY and ALL new model/releases threads on ER unless you want an ulcer :blum:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 7

When we drove East from San Diego to Yuma then up towards a Phoenix many years ago, we had a convertible but it was too hot and sunny to have the roof down all the time.

I had a convertible when I worked in Tempe. In the Summer the only time I had the roof down was at night.

When my brother visited us one Spring I took him for a tour and we had the roof down most of the way. The most memorable part was the Coronado Trail - a fantastic road if you like driving, but slightly scary. It's over a hundred miles long and when we were on it I think we saw one other car. Again with the big scary signs at either end, this time warning you that it's high altitude and they do not run snow plows in the Winter.

• Like 1

Speaking of ciggies I have a cousin who went to school in Campbeltown (this was a while ago.) I remember him saying that some diligent pupil had carefully carved the following inscription into the top of one of the desks;

"And now for a Pasha"

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had a convertible when I worked in Tempe. In the Summer the only time I had the roof down was at night.

When my brother visited us one Spring I took him for a tour and we had the roof down most of the way. The most memorable part was the Coronado Trail - a fantastic road if you like driving, but slightly scary. It's over a hundred miles long and when we were on it I think we saw one other car. Again with the big scary signs at either end, this time warning you that it's high altitude and they do not run snow plows in the Winter.

I think my most memorable (good memory) road was the Icefields Parkway in Alberta. Heading North at Easter time glorious sunshine. Hardly any traffic either. Coming South though we had a blizzard all the way to Calgary. We didn't have a convertible though, it was a Jeep Liberty. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14