The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

Damn, I've got a stinker of a cold with a really annoying cough tonight. Time to load up on the Lemsip I think. I'll have another when I finish my Spitfire Ale! ;)

Dave.

Morning All,

Another chilly one. The temperature is hovering around -3.5°C but we haven't had any new snow (thankfully).

I hope the backs and knees are feeling better this morning.

Isn't Sam available for a massage?

Or Shergar? :lol:

Have a good day everyone...

Morning guys....Had a restless night, so pain killers and anti inflamm's will be the dish of the day. As luck would have it, I have a hospital appointment Thursday, so that is good timing.

It's infuriating as I was back on the layout build and that will have to go on standby for another few days.

Still amazed how it went so easily...:angry:

Have a good day everyone. It'll soon be Christmas and you'll enjoy a well earned rest...:)

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Seems a bit windy outside - I wonder how much this'll do in terms of wind chill :lol: . I'm planning to have my hair cut in the late afternoon, provided I can make it home in time. It might be a little close, actually...

Gordon - ow, sure sounds nasty what's happened to you :blink: . Probably better to have it checked out soonest.

Have a good day everyone!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We are moving into a new build over the Xmas holidays so we have to pack the whole school into plastic boxes over the next three days. Pupils don't have to be packed so have been given the three days off.

Must remember to be careful with my back.

• RMweb Gold

Is that a recognised method of acknowledging a lunch invitation, Tony? Seems a little severe to me!

Graham

I've tried to train my mother in law to tell me what "little tasks" need doing before we go over to lunch rather than expecting me to fix something with whatever tools can be improvised from kitchen equipment. I know quite a few people who always set off with a full toolkit either when visiting their grown up children or aged relatives.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all I can only sympathise with those in pain this morning,last night I was twisting round the ensuite trying to fit a new overflow pipe in the cistern. I realised just how unfit I am. Gordon it is after the horse has bolted but a thermal back belt might help in future. Having said that last time I put my back out I leaned over to straighten the corner of the duvet.

• RMweb Gold

I know of a couple of people who have taken quite extreme measures to avoid back pain but I know for many people it is the unpredictability of what triggers it. that is so frustrating. My mother, however, always denied she had strained her back causing pain but it usually turned she had been polishing the gutters tidying up the compost heap.

I've tried to train my mother in law to tell me what "little tasks" need doing before we go over to lunch rather than expecting me to fix something with whatever tools can be improvised from kitchen equipment. I know quite a few people who always set off with a full toolkit either when visiting their grown up children or aged relatives.

Tony

Been there, done that. I finally splashed out on a full toolset for the ex when I was still in Canada. Most visits with my son ended up as home repair days. Worst thing when visiting relatives is for some reason I seem to have 'PC support tech' stamped on my forehead. Last time at MIL's I spent the whole day rebuilding and re-provisioning her laptop.

Quiet day here in the boring borough. Just off to a late start meeting then to client site for the day. Only 3 left on this project. Unless they decide to extend again at the last possible second. That should be fun as the only person that can authorise my deployment isn't back until January.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, I think I can see some sunshine. That can't be right. Not much work-related on the cards for today so far.

I was just about to pop out and shift 50 paving slabs from the driveway to the bottom of the garden. With all the back and knee problems occurring in these parts I think I should take extra care! Hope the aches and pains resolve themselves quickly.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Just waiting for a delivery of logs myself, they should be here later, and I hope that I can help with the stacking.

Gordon, hope the back gets better quickly.

Regards to All

Stewart

Morning, it's -8c over here at present and still going downward but what really makes me ache is that fact that there is a breeze gusting as high as 30mph which puts the wind chill down into the "bl@#ding cold" sector. When I took the dog out last night my "lawn" was crunching as if it had been dipped into Nitrogen. It doesn't make me feel any better knowing that it is even colder in Canada with 65mph winds.

Feel better Gordon!

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

Ugh, who could imagine a common cold being so irksome? I went to bed last night just as the shivers kicked in. No aches as such today, just a slightly weak and lethargic feeling and the sense there's rubbish building up in my chest. Like I say, life goes on but it just makes you feel pretty dull and listless - at least it won't last, that's a consolation. In other news, it's nice and bright here today. I may spend an hour in the shed.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I think that's the shortest day, Pete.

This Wikipedia article covers lots of winter definitions. Pete appears to be using the "winter begins at solstice" definition that WikiP describes as US (+some British). I tend to go with the Scandinavian mid October to end of Feb definition myself!

Tony

Depends on which Wikipedia page you read try: Winter Northern Hemisphere: December 21st to vernal equinox, March 20th.....mind you, in Britain there are only three seasons anywaybiggrin.gif.

Over here we don't really start getting the big temps until after June 21st because of the lag (mostly to do with sea temperature).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Depends on which Wikipedia page you read try: Winter Northern Hemisphere: December 21st to vernal equinox, March 20th.....mind you, in Britain there are only three seasons anywaybiggrin.gif.

Over here we don't really start getting the big temps until after June 21st because of the lag (mostly to do with sea temperature).

Best, Pete.

I liked the bit about the perception of winter being affected by "Christmas creep". Is that a new version of "Scrooge"?

• RMweb Premium

Well, the weather forecast now predicts snow and strong wind from noon tomorrow onwards, followed by severe frost over the weekend :blink: . Perhaps not quite the same thing as a North American blizzard, but then again...with the weather you never know :lol: .